Poll

How many people agree?

I do! Not enough people admit this.
1 (7.1%)
I don't, you spread hate wherever you roam.
13 (92.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Who are you people?  (Read 14861 times)

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
Re: Who are you people?
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »
My IQ probably dropped from reading this thread.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yup, I'm insulted.  >:(
That could have been how some people felt at your posts...if someone had the opinions that you stated in the "About you" part of your original text, they may have felt offended. generally it's not a good idea to write about what opinions you find to be crap.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline visitor

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
Nevermind, this isn't worth my attention.

So, who else likes MP's vocals? I do  :tup And hey, I like old and new DT, but that's impossible, isn't it?

I will give MP credit for the best set of lines of any dt lyrics which was in Voices(I know Petrucci wrote the lyrics, but Portnoy said them):

"Did you know that reality is immaterial?
This is not reality."
Seriously, MP said them? I thought it was just another clip of a movie or something like that. It doesn't sound much like MP.

EDIT: Like I said, I didn't think it was MP. That makes more sense. ^

Oh shit really?  Who said it?

The rapper Prix-mo, in fact. They were in the studio at the same time as DT and MP had him come over and read a few verses from the book "Cultural Revolution."

Wow man, great fucking find, seriously.   :D

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
No prob.

Offline visitor

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »

That could have been how some people felt at your posts...if someone had the opinions that you stated in the "About you" part of your original text, they may have felt offended. generally it's not a good idea to write about what opinions you find to be crap.

Look Violet...can I call you Violet?  I tend to shoot from the hip, if you catch my drift ;)
In other words, my bullets tend to do more harm then good.

Wait

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »

Look Violet...can I call you Violet?  I tend to shoot from the hip, if you catch my drift ;)

Wait
Violet's fine  :-*

and am i missing some kind of sexual innuendo? Or is it just my twisted mind playing tricks on me...?
Either way I know you didn't mean anything bad. But since it can be taken that way, posting stuff like that can make you really disliked and nobody wants to be disliked the moment they start posting.

i don't dislike you, I haven't seen enough posts of yours to decide something like that, but I CAN tell you that I have been the victim of a flame war on another forum many, many times and I am just trying to give you some advice so you don't have to go through what I went through. no harmed feelings. just some well meant advice.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline visitor

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »

Wait

and am i missing some kind of sexual innuendo? Or is it just my twisted mind playing tricks on me...?
Either way I know you didn't mean anything bad. But since it can be taken that way, posting stuff like that can make you really disliked and nobody wants to be disliked the moment they start posting.

i don't dislike you, I haven't seen enough posts of yours to decide something like that, but I CAN tell you that I have been the victim of a flame war on another forum many, many times and I am just trying to give you some advice so you don't have to go through what I went through. no harmed feelings. just some well meant advice.

I appreciate that Violet, thanks :)

I was just trying to make a statement and it's a strong statement.  I am not insulted one bit by any comment, in fact most of them have really made me appreciate the fan base that I am part of: Dedicated fans, who respect DT from start to finish, thats nice.  The people I was talking about where those who bash the old and celebrate the new, If thats a controversial stance to have then so be it.....but I have to follow my heart, especially if I want to learn how to live

NAH MO TUH GIVE!!!!!!

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »

Wait

I appreciate that Violet, thanks :)

I was just trying to make a statement and it's a strong statement.  I am not insulted one bit by any comment, in fact most of them have really made me appreciate the fan base that I am part of: Dedicated fans, who respect DT from start to finish, thats nice.  The people I was talking about where those who bash the old and celebrate the new, If thats a controversial stance to have then so be it.....but I have to follow my heart, especially if I want to learn how to live

NAH MO TUH GIVE!!!!!!
understood. Have fun on the forum!
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »
Well, I don't know about any of that, but...

SDOIT is a masterpiece, isn't it? :huh:

Offline visitor

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »

Okay, honest question.  Why is it a masterpiece.   I really really want to know so that I can experience it, too.  :sadpanda:

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »

Okay, honest question.  Why is it a masterpiece.   I really really want to know so that I can experience it, too.  :sadpanda:
Preference, and most DT fans have similar prefences so a lot of people think it's great. But that doesn't mean EVERYONE has the same tastes so it's understandable if you can't  get into as much as some people.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »
How is this thread 4 pages? Still not sure I "get" the point.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »

Well, taking into account the obvious bias I have for it as my favourite DT album... I just think it's as broad a representation of their styles as you could possibly hope for. Their metal and technical prowess are demonstrated with Glass Prison and parts of the title track... it's just enough without overdoing it like they could be criticized of on TOT and the two Mike Portnoy/Roadrunner albums. There's some gorgeous melodies and absolute heartwrending passages such as Disappear, Goodnight Kiss and the absolute pinnacle of DT choruses, Losing Time (I would say.)

On top of that, they really let themselves experiment and came out with some material they hadn't produced before or since such as Misunderstood and the ambient opening and closing of Great Debate. Whilst some think these sections are grating or go on too long, I really think they serve their respective songs well and both songs really drive home why some people find SDOIT Jordan's strongest DT album. On top of that, Blind Faith is home to some of his most tasteful piano work.

And if disc one weren't enough, I think the title track is in itself a good representation of what the band is all about. Each movement has something to love, whether it's Petrucci's gorgeous GK solo, the band at their catchiest in SS, rifftastic in ATC(R) or majestic in LT... the song can be enjoyed both by itself and as 8 seperate songs in equal measures. I find the melodies both instrumentally and vocally inspired... I guess it just tickles my musical g-spot.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
I'm not even aware they exist. On the other hand, I've had to deal with lots of fucking annoying "trve old schvvl fans" who can't accept anything post-Awake or in more tolerant cases post-SFAM and find fucktons of ridiculous pseudo-reasons why later DT is "commercial", "weak", "below average", "generic", [enter another insult which means nothing at all and has zero constructivity, but sounds cool]. Then usually if I dare to be annoyed, "why can't you respect my opinion?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!!111111", but trying to get them to respect people who like later DT? Ya, have fun trying :biggrin:

Maybe I'm very radical about it, but I totally despise people with a dumb, close-minded attitude who simply won't accept anything a band did after a certain point (and that's an issue with 3/4 of bands I listen - DT, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Opeth, Samael, apparently Riverside is also well on their way, the list is long) and are going to flame everyone who dares like the later material and look down on them because they're not old school enough.

You were a bit more diplomatic than that in the OP but the attitude is the same. You don't like post-SFAM DT, cool, I don't mind. But if you're going to have problems with people liking it, I won't be nice.

That's all assuming it's serious and not trolling, but if you wrote 30 or so posts here, I think you're serious as trolls don't give that much effort usually.

Offline visitor

« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »
How is this thread 4 pages? Still not sure I "get" the point.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2011, 07:43:17 PM »
That's all assuming it's serious and not trolling, but if you wrote 30 or so posts here, I think you're serious as trolls don't give that much effort usually.

I dunno, Chico certainly went for it. ;)

Offline Liberation

« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
May be exception proving the rule. Or something. :P

Offline visitor

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »

Well, taking into account the obvious bias I have for it as my favourite DT album... I just think it's as broad a representation of their styles as you could possibly hope for. Their metal and technical prowess are demonstrated with Glass Prison and parts of the title track... it's just enough without overdoing it like they could be criticized of on TOT and the two Mike Portnoy/Roadrunner albums. There's some gorgeous melodies and absolute heartwrending passages such as Disappear, Goodnight Kiss and the absolute pinnacle of DT choruses, Losing Time (I would say.)

On top of that, they really let themselves experiment and came out with some material they hadn't produced before or since such as Misunderstood and the ambient opening and closing of Great Debate. Whilst some think these sections are grating or go on too long, I really think they serve their respective songs well and both songs really drive home why some people find SDOIT Jordan's strongest DT album. On top of that, Blind Faith is home to some of his most tasteful piano work.

And if disc one weren't enough, I think the title track is in itself a good representation of what the band is all about. Each movement has something to love, whether it's Petrucci's gorgeous GK solo, the band at their catchiest in SS, rifftastic in ATC(R) or majestic in LT... the song can be enjoyed both by itself and as 8 seperate songs in equal measures. I find the melodies both instrumentally and vocally inspired... I guess it just tickles my musical g-spot.

I really appreciate your honest and candid analysis of the album, you have actually motivated me to give it another listen.  ;)

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
I really appreciate your honest and candid analysis of the album, you have actually motivated me to give it another listen.  ;)

Hey, no problem. Hope it sticks this time. :)

Offline visitor

« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
I'm not even aware they exist. On the other hand, I've had to deal with lots of fucking annoying "trve old schvvl fans" who can't accept anything post-Awake or in more tolerant cases post-SFAM and find fucktons of ridiculous pseudo-reasons why later DT is "commercial", "weak", "below average", "generic", [enter another insult which means nothing at all and has zero constructivity, but sounds cool]. Then usually if I dare to be annoyed, "why can't you respect my opinion?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!!111111", but trying to get them to respect people who like later DT? Ya, have fun trying :biggrin:

Maybe I'm very radical about it, but I totally despise people with a dumb, close-minded attitude who simply won't accept anything a band did after a certain point (and that's an issue with 3/4 of bands I listen - DT, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia, Opeth, Samael, apparently Riverside is also well on their way, the list is long) and are going to flame everyone who dares like the later material and look down on them because they're not old school enough.

You were a bit more diplomatic than that in the OP but the attitude is the same. You don't like post-SFAM DT, cool, I don't mind. But if you're going to have problems with people liking it, I won't be nice.

It's a little half and half, a lot of the posts I'm extremely silly because the situation just begs for it, in all honesty I dont want to be one of those fans that is close minded, I REALLY REALLY REALLLLLLLLY tried to like Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver Linings. 
fibreoptix has motivated me to give SDOIT another shot.   Also, I really like the new album, and my hope is that there sound comes back.  It's not that I want them to make another Images and Words, it's that I want them to make me feel again.

:'(

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
My response to OP:

You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here). 

Octavarium is the only song out of those that I like. The rest are meh

You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie.

6DOIT is NOWHERE neara masterpiece imo. A good song or two, but I think its terrible overall.

Systematic Chaos was the shit. 

Overall, it was bad.

Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.

Mike Portnoy growling? No thank you

You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite?

Do they play a new genre of music? No.

And I think I definately "get" old DT

You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal butt just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

As much as I love Awake, those two songs are the worst one imo.

DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline visitor

« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
My response to OP:

You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here). 

Octavarium is the only song out of those that I like. The rest are meh

You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie.

6DOIT is NOWHERE neara masterpiece imo. A good song or two, but I think its terrible overall.

Systematic Chaos was the shit. 

Overall, it was bad.

Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.

Mike Portnoy growling? No thank you

You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite?

Do they play a new genre of music? No.

And I think I definately "get" old DT

You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal butt just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

As much as I love Awake, those two songs are the worst one imo.

Overall, I think that went well, dont you?

Offline Liberation

« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
It's a little half and half, a lot of the posts I'm extremely silly because the situation just begs for it, in all honesty I dont want to be one of those fans that is close minded, I REALLY REALLY REALLLLLLLLY tried to like Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver Linings. 
fibreoptix has motivated me to give SDOIT another shot.   Also, I really like the new album, and my hope is that there sound comes back.  It's not that I want them to make another Images and Words, it's that I want them to make me feel again.

They moved on. If you're expecting them to regress, it's not exactly a nice thing to do. If you tried to like them, good, maybe one of the future albums will click again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »

Most people love Octavarium and The Glass Prison because they're fucking awesome. What's wrong with that? TGD and Wither are probably considered middle of the road here, with their fair share of love and hate. I like them both, wouldn't say I LOVE them, ie nowhere near top 20.

SDOIT was a masterpiece. DT's best album to me by far, and perhaps DT's best song to me. Most people here will agree SDOIT is one of their better albums, not many will agree with me that the song is a masterpiece. Their loss.  :loser:
And why wouldn't I enjoy the new voice of JLB? He's a great singer. I think most agree that he was best on IaW and Awake though, and I'm no different.

Systematic Chaos was the shit.  Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.  You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite?

Nobody here ranks SC highly. I am one of the minority who thinks the album is really good, and even I rank it relatively low (just because I think their other albums are mostly better, not because I think SC is bad). Nobody here likes MP's vocals here, although I really liked them. But stuff dreams are made of? I have no idea what forum you are reading there. You will find love here for all DT, new and old. I love it all. And I don't know what that last sentence even means. Are you butthurt that DT have evolved in sound to something you don't like?

Lolpinions. Most people here love Awake. I dislike it, and it has nothing to do with metal or non metal. I'm getting the impression you just have trouble dealing with opposing opinions, nothing more. Because that reads like a pretentious excuse for not realizing that opinions differ, and not everyone likes what you do, or dislikes what you dislike.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
It's not that I want them to make another Images and Words, it's that I want them to make me feel again.

That may be difficult.  What often happens is that a band in their "young" years are bursting with ideas and energy and creativity and a certain kind of fearlessness.  The next stage, a kind of middle age, is where DT is at.  Some of that young, unbridled energy is gone, and in it's place is heightened craftsmanship.  The music may be less adventurous, but more refined and polished.  Finally, if a band survives intact long enough, they get "old", and will either attempt some variation of "back to our roots" stuff - like Rush - or even drift into a new genre, like what Billy Joel has been doing, or, at last, rehashing the past (many bands do this).

This does not apply solely to music, but to most creative endeavors.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »
I think Blob might be my biological twin, cause we literally have the same opinions about DT's music.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:51 PM »
I don't think you're describing anyone who actually exists. The only people who think all of the things you described are the kids who got into DT with Pull Me Under on Guitar Hero, and even they don't like Wither. Those kids represent if not a minority of the registered users, then certainly a minority of the regular posters.

Having said that, how DARE you call Octavarium below average. HOW DARE YOU.

THIS, X10000000000
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2011, 07:26:17 AM »

About me:  I've been a DT fan since Images and Words(yes, its fucking amazing) and feel that the route they took after Scenes from a Memory was mediocre(with the exception of Train of Thought) and has stayed that way until A Dramatic Turn of Events, which still doesn't live up to old DT, but it's on the right track.

You and i are going to get along great, provided that you can avoid being banned by the soup nazis here. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2011, 07:38:37 AM »
visitor, your OP covers 4 or 5 people, tops.  FFS
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »

:lol

In his defense, it does seem to accurately describe a good amount of YouTube's DT fans.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »

:lol

In his defense, it does seem to accurately describe a good amount of YouTube's DT fans.
Youtube commenters are irrelevant, regardless of what they are commenting on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »
Hugh?  ???

i think visitor needs  :chill

:facepalm:

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2011, 08:55:14 AM »

This!

Offline visitor

« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »

This!

Not This! I assure you, you are out there in multitudes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »

This!

Not This! I assure you, you are out there in multitudes.
Not really.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
Let's hope visitor reaches his desired post count soon so this thread can die. :)