Poll

How many people agree?

I do! Not enough people admit this.
1 (7.1%)
I don't, you spread hate wherever you roam.
13 (92.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Who are you people?  (Read 14858 times)

Offline visitor

Who are you people?
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
EDIT 2: Okay, it seems no one shares my sentiments, someone mentioned there are only 4 or 5 yous in the world, which isn't so bad, thank you poster for clearing that up, so please stop commenting and go to your nearest "rank this" thread, thank you.

THAT IS ALL!

EDIT: The below remarks about you I can not change(i lied, I changed "heavy metal ass' to 'heavy metal butt') since they are true to what I feel. 

What I will say, and this I feel more passionately about, is my extreme joy and satisfaction in knowing that I am part of a huge fan base of the best band in the world.  No matter which way you lean in the DT universe, you are my brethren. 

Totally expecting heat from this but I don't care, I need to get this off my chest.

About me:  I've been a DT fan since Images and Words(yes, its fucking amazing) and feel that the route they took after Scenes from a Memory was mediocre(with the exception of Train of Thought) and has stayed that way until A Dramatic Turn of Events, which still doesn't live up to old DT, but it's on the right track.

About you: You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here).  You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie.  Systematic Chaos was the shit.  Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.  You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite? You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal butt just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

Anyway, that's my rant.  >:(

Be gentle  :sadpanda:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:01:34 AM by visitor »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: Who are you people?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »
WHAT DO YOU MEAN, 'YOU PEOPLE?'
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »
About you: You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here).  You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie.  Systematic Chaos was the shit.  Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.  You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite? You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal ass just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

The first two sentences could be true. The rest falls into the "what the fuck forum have you been reading" category. Especially the Portnoy growls thing. I'm not sure anyone on the forum likes them (although I'm likely wrong).

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »
Has anyone on these forums ever called old DT 'sissy'? It seems to me more people prefer the older stuff, although a fair proportion of people like new stuff as well

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »
I don't think you're describing anyone who actually exists. The only people who think all of the things you described are the kids who got into DT with Pull Me Under on Guitar Hero, and even they don't like Wither. Those kids represent if not a minority of the registered users, then certainly a minority of the regular posters.

Having said that, how DARE you call Octavarium below average. HOW DARE YOU.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
About you: You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here).  You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie.  Systematic Chaos was the shit.  Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.  You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite? You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal ass just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

On a more serious note and as a long time member, here are a few observations I have that relate to your post:

1. Most people here enjoy SDOIT very much and some view it as a masterpiece (as do I).
2. James' new voice is really good. It is closest to his voice on Awake as it has ever been since his vocal chord rupture. He sounds very good live and quite good on the new CD.
3. Systematic Chaos was good. One or two good tracks, imho.
4. Get the MP rorororororo vocals out of here. Always hated it.
5. Don't get old DT? You sure you got the right forum? lol. I almost always see universal praise here for I&W and Awake, which most of those people would say they are masterpieces and two of their best albums.

I honestly think you have the wrong forum. The overwhelming majority of people here enjoy I&W and Awake (along with SFAM and SDOIT) over the majority of their discography. It seems that ADTOE has join the ranks of those very good albums.

Not that this matters, but I think you're OP is more descriptive of the majority of fans on MP.com. Those points seem to reflect the majority's music taste. But, I can guarantee over here that the majority of people support the aforementioned opinion that I outlined.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »
WTF? I don't think ANY thinks that, except the first 2-3 sentences. (Though I don't really enjoy 6DIOT and like some SC)

Seriously, I think you have the wrong forum...
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »
Hard to tell whether the "you people" is a rant about fans you have run across "out there" somewhere, or if you mistakenly believe that what you typed is the consensus on this forum.  If the latter, you are mistaken, and I would caution you about your tone when you are criticizing people you don't know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
Also, all the "below-average songs" you listed are fantastic, in my opinion, though SC was awful and no one in the entire world likes when MP growls.

This thread more or less amounts to "there are people on this planet with tastes that are different than mine and it angers me".

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »
not sure if serious

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
but I think you're OP is more descriptive of the majority of fans on MP.com

Nope. MP.com members actually have similar taste to people here.

This thread more or less amounts to "there are people on this planet with tastes that are different than mine and it angers me".

Pretty much this.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
<mindless babble>

OK, you've proven your new keyboard works.  Now how about saying something?
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline visitor

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 04:21:41 PM »
Hard to tell whether the "you people" is a rant about fans you have run across "out there" somewhere, or if you mistakenly believe that what you typed is the consensus on this forum.  If the latter, you are mistaken, and I would caution you about your tone when you are criticizing people you don't know.

From just the little I've dug up here those were my conclusions.
A rant is a rant, I'm not insulting anyone(though, if I did, then sorry, brah), I'm just pretty much telling you who you are, you can't help it, it's not your fault.
I'm just frustrated about it and am letting it out. 
As I did not hand out any threats whatsoever I would appreciate the same courtesy from you.

And just in case it's not clear who "you" are, "you" are the people I have described.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »
No one is "threatening" you.  But I am letting you know that your post is accusatory and condescending, whether you intend it to be or not.  Either change it, or your stay here will be short.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline visitor

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
not sure if serious

Not entirely, the anger is not as passionate as it seems. 
Generally, I'm happy DT has so many fans, it proves that music doesn't have to be pop to be popular.
But enough about that, this is a rant post not a lets-hug-and-make-out post.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
Ok, who are you talking about?!

Offline visitor

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:27:42 PM »
No one is "threatening" you.  But I am letting you know that your post is accusatory and condescending, whether you intend it to be or not.  Either change it, or your stay here will be short.

Yea, totally not a threat.
Ok, cool, I like it here so how should I change it.

Offline visitor

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »
Hey now, that's not me.  ;)

Offline visitor

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »
Hey now, that's not me.  ;)

Probably not.  Ironically(I think, I can never get it right) the quote on your avatar describes my situation.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »

Yea, totally not a threat.
Ok, cool, I like it here so how should I change it.

As someone else put it, don't post in a way that comes across as "there are people on this planet with tastes that are different than mine and it angers me".

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
What's inconsistent about the OP is that many folks who really love 8VM are less than thrilled with SC and tunes with MP's growling.  There's  not an overabundance of love for Wither, either.  The vast majority of forumers like Awake.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »
Nevermind, this isn't worth my attention.

So, who else likes MP's vocals? I do  :tup And hey, I like old and new DT, but that's impossible, isn't it?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 04:44:17 PM »
I've been a DT fanboy (and *primarily* a MP.com person until more recently...but I've been in the OL community since '97) since IAW was first released.

I am NOTHING like you, or anyone else you describe.  You make it sound like there are two camps, and those are the only ones that exist.   You described yourself, and then described no one I have ever seen or talked to.

I think the "old material" was their glory days...but I also think Octavarium was the greatest album they ever released (yes...even better than the #2 SFAM and #3 IAW) and that Systematic Chaos was by far their worst (even far far far worse that WDADU).     What I loved about them was that they could go from balls to the wall (PMU) to kenny g-esque ballad (Another Day) in the course of a single song.   I love their mellow side (even The Answer Lies Within) as well as their Pantera side (TDEN and TGP).   I just don't like it when they get overly cheesy.  ("Forevermore, into the night, blistering"???  Really??  Are you freakin kidding me??)

I defy you and I defy your attempt to pigeonhole any DT fan.   

"I fart in your general direction!  Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries!  Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

(Monty Python quote for all you young'uns out there...so don't get your panties in a whirl)

:yarr
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
So, who else likes MP's vocals? I do  :tup

Same here.  Other than the "RRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" because that's just silly.  But otherwise, yes.  (although I have no idea why the term "growling" was brought up, since there is no growling in ANY Dream Theater song)

I like old and new DT

Most do, at least to an extent.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »

Same here.  Other than the "RRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" because that's just silly.  But otherwise, yes.  (although I have no idea why the term "growling" was brought up, since there is no growling in ANY Dream Theater song)

I like old and new DT

The closest thing is "DAY AFTER DAY" but we all knew what he meant by that phrase anyway.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
I loved MP's vocals in The Glass Prison.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
Either OP is living in upside down world or he just tried to pull off an elaborate troll. Because uhm... you're not serious, right?

Offline visitor

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »

So, who else likes MP's vocals? I do  :tup And hey, I like old and new DT, but that's impossible, isn't it?

I will give MP credit for the best set of lines of any dt lyrics which was in Voices(I know Petrucci wrote the lyrics, but Portnoy said them):

"Did you know that reality is immaterial?
This is not reality."

Offline visitor

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »

I like old and new DT

The closest thing is "DAY AFTER DAY" but we all knew what he meant by that phrase anyway.

Don't forget "NIGHT AFTER NIGHT"

Offline visitor

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »

.....OH, Look what I found     :chill

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
You got my likes spot on in the "About you" paragraph but I'd rank I&W their 2nd best.

Offline visitor

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
You got my likes spot on in the "About you" paragraph but I'd rank I&W their 2nd best.

Your avatar is hiiiiiilarious, my friend. FORGIVEN!
You see people, it's easy to stop being you, and start being me.

:tup

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Totally expecting heat from this but I don't care, I need to get this off my chest.

About me:  I've been a DT fan since Images and Words(yes, its fucking amazing) and feel that the route they took after Scenes from a Memory was mediocre(with the exception of Train of Thought) and has stayed that way until A Dramatic Turn of Events, which still doesn't live up to old DT, but it's on the right track.

About you: You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here).  You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie.  Systematic Chaos was the shit.  Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.  You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite? You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal butt just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

EDIT: The above remarks about you I can not change(i lied, I changed "heavy metal ass' to 'heavy metal butt') since they are true to what I feel. 

What I will say, and this I feel more passionately about, is my extreme joy and satisfaction in knowing that I am part of a huge fan base of the best band in the world.  No matter which way you lean in the DT universe, you are my brethren.
... So basically,

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 05:10:35 PM »
I'm not me, I'm not you. I am not any. I am all.

If all believes that which I and you do not, then any should disagree while all will not.

Got it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com