Author Topic: Songs that haven't been played live as often as you thought they would have been  (Read 926 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It is easy to throw out rarely-played songs or stuff like that, but how about songs that you thought would have been live mainstays, but never have been.  For me, two are very obvious:

The Glass Prison
In the Name of God

Neither has been regularly featured on a tour since played at every show on the tours for the albums they come from.  I thought The Glass Prison would be a live mainstay for years, but it never did.  I don't buy the argument that Portnoy was saving it for when the whole 12-Step suite was played together.  That is probably their most ass-kicking metal song ever, and is a natural live beast.

And In the Name of God has only been a part of the encore medley on the SC tour since the ToT tour.  That needs to come back.  As I Am and Endless Sacrifice have both been played to death since, and both should be given a rest for a bit, and In the Name of God needs to come back.  So says I. :biggrin:

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
In the Name of God was played at some shows at PN '09 as I recall.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
I saw In the Name of God live on the Progressive Nation Tour 2009. Yes, it was great   :biggrin:

I don't know, since I don't go to their concerts, I'm completely indifferent to what they play or not, since I won't be the one enjoying it. But to contribute to the thread, I'd say that Metropolis pt. 1 hasn't been played enough.

On a serious note, I agree with The Glass Prison, and I think Blind Faith, Another Day and HK/LITS should be played more often.

The problem is, they have so many great songs, that they should be having enormous problems to construct their setlists nowadays and not thinking "wait, that other song is great, we should play it". To the 50-60 songs that would be cool to see live, they have to add at least 3-4 from the new album. It's like a coach having too many good players  :lol

Offline The Letter M

I'll go album-by-album...

WDADU - "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun"...great feel and I think it'd be awesome to bring back!
IAW - "Another Day", sure it was done to death back then, but coupled with "Another Hand/The Killing Hand", it makes for a great concert experience, I'm sure!
Awake - "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" - definitely needs to be brought back, especially if it's the way it was played in 95 with the extended intro!
FII - "Hell's Kitchen"!!!!!
SFAM - "Finally Free", it would make a great concert closer, or first-set closer
SDOIT - "The Great Debate"!!!!!
TOT - "In The Name Of God", gotta agree with you here, it's an amazing song and needs to be brought back as well.
8VM - "The Answer Lies Within", yes I like this song, and it's a great breather to put between such heavy songs.
SC - "Repentance", I know MP was probably going to save it for 12SS, but this would just sound EPIC live, and JP's solo would be killer
BC&SL - Eh, if I had to pick one, I'd say "Wither", since it was the least played of the four songs on the album that got played live.

There are some great tracks that have gotten less than a dozen plays, it would be nice if they pulled a few obscure ones out, or rather, less-often-played tracks, on this coming tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
I agree with Marc's list except for The Answer Lies Within.

Offline The Letter M

I agree with Marc's list except for The Answer Lies Within.

I had to think about it... I think I prefer "The Answer Lies Within" over "These Walls", but I never *got* "These Walls" when it came out. Both have been played the least on the album, I'm pretty sure, so it's a toss up, really.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jag66

Yup, Hell's Kitchen. It's only 4 mins ffs, add it in!

Offline Blackfield

Lifting shadows.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, definitely. It's amazing.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Millais

Blind Faith.

it's been played 50 times less than TGP over the last few years or so. one of DT's best yet most technical songs to play live.

Offline jcmistat

I really hope instead of Endless Sacrifice which was played in this last European tour they replace it with In the Name of God. I know they plan to keep the U.S. leg very similar with the addition of ADTOE songs. Hopefully they keep The Great Debate for this tour its not played enough or replace it with Blind Faith either would work.

Offline namgalsipsclar

The Letter M, I've seen 4 of those songs live, over two gigs!

Hells kitchen is a good choice though, I'd also love to see Take the Time and Surrounded, no idea how often they get played

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
I hope they bring back The Glass Prison on this tour. That would be fucking metal.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Scarred
In the Name of God
Overture: 1928/Strange Deja Vu
About to Crash
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!