Author Topic: What do you want from DT's music?  (Read 12260 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: What do you want from DT's music?
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »
That Wish You Were Here cover is exactly the direction of recorded  performance I'd like to see them move in.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »
It's time for a KICK ASS album like Train of Thought, but I don't think they have it in them at all. :tdwn

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2016, 05:02:37 PM »
It's time for a KICK ASS album like Train of Thought, but I don't think they have it in them at all. :tdwn

As much as I love TOT, I don't think they're ever gonna release anything like it again.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »

LOL. Of course they have it in them. TA was kick-ass. They're not going for a one-dimensional sound like TOT, that would be a step backward.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »

LOL. Of course they have it in them. TA was kick-ass. They're not going for a one-dimensional sound like TOT, that would be a step backward.

lol, that's a good one!
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »

lol, that's a good one!
It's a true one.

I like TOT a lot, but it was really "samey" (other than Vacant).  I think they are better when they display more breadth/depth on an album, not everything being the same thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »

Glad someone else said it so I wouldn't have to.  Nailed it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »
My comment was toward the qualification of TA:  a kick ass album.  TA is great for many but the last thing it does is kicking ass.  Way too quiet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »
It's a relative and somewhat elastic term.  It can mean "really loud" or just "really awesome".

For example, BC&SL was definitely a louder, heavier album.  But it doesn't "kick ass" for me, while TA definitely does.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2016, 09:43:14 AM »
TA is absolutely a kick ass album any way you slice it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2016, 10:31:26 AM »
TA is absolutely a kick ass album any way you slice it.
:tup

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »
It's a relative and somewhat elastic term.  It can mean "really loud" or just "really awesome".

But even in the former definition, TA has something going for it. How do songs like 'Three Days', 'A Tempting Offer', 'Moment of Betreyal' and 'The Path That Divides' not kick-ass?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
True.

Don't forget The Walking Shadow.  That song is metal as hell.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2016, 02:18:42 PM »
True.

Don't forget The Walking Shadow.  That song is metal as hell.

Oh I didn't, just wanted to list 2 songs from each act. I'd have to list 10+ songs otherwise.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
[red barchetta]But isn't that song a ballad?  It has a soft part.  It isn't as metal as Rush.[/red barchetta]

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »
No that's not a ballad, not this one. And for me that's not even a good song. Sorry. There is nothing catchy or melodic. I have listened to the album about 30 times now. Next thing I will do will be sit with the whole lyrics and follow the story. I don't pay attention a lot to the lyrics, it's always the music first because I'm french. But I always get interested by the lyrics after a while, especially if I like the song. I'm really interested to go as far as I can with that album, certainly my biggest effort ever to appreciate an album. I don't think it will ever change for me as a great album or a masterpiece but i want to know more about it.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
woops, I'm being watched again today.  Yesterday I was not, today I am.   :chill