Poll

Which album do you like better?

Radiohead - OK Computer
21 (41.2%)
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
30 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: September 24, 2011, 08:03:01 AM

Author Topic: Album of the Year 1997 - final round  (Read 5267 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Album of the Year 1997 - final round
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »
Just to attempt to add an atom of tact to this, why are all you Radiohead fans so blatantly pompous towards SX for winning this. The album is loaded with brilliant motifs and musicianship. I don't like Radiohead at all but I don't feel compelled to shit on them. All the 5th grade insults being hurled just make this forum look bad.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2011, 02:05:17 AM »
I don't think it's just here to be honest, I've seen people complain just as much in some of the other year-polls. :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2011, 02:11:18 AM »
Just to attempt to add an atom of tact to this, why are all you Radiohead fans so blatantly pompous towards SX for winning this. The album is loaded with brilliant motifs and musicianship. I don't like Radiohead at all but I don't feel compelled to shit on them. All the 5th grade insults being hurled just make this forum look bad.

:clap:
Yes, let us all come up with pretentious reasons to say the results are "wrong" because we do not agree with them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2011, 02:28:37 AM »
Yep  :|
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »
So I decided to give OK Computer a try. I'm only on song 2 (Paranoid Android) and this isn't entertaining at all. Isn't PA supposed to be a classic or something? The song is boring, with some terrible vocals. Does he sing this way on the whole album? I did hear some Porcupine Tree in PA though. Not that that means anything.

I'll take the cheesiest cheese out there over this boring, drunkenly sung disaster any day.

And no, I'm not listening to the rest of the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB-wmOYelnM

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »
OK Computer is a bit of a retroactive classic. When it came out after The Bends-which is a pretty amazing album and one of the best albums of the 90s period-the general reaction to it, especially to "Paranoid Android" was frankly 'what the fuck is this?"-and not in a good way. Sure, people liked it then, but a lot of "OK Computer is a CLASSIC" came from people who got into Radiohead in the past 10 or so years. The reception upon release was a flat "what?!" I loved Radiohead until OK Computer, and think they lost the plot there and it only got worse with Kid A. But that's just me.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »
Oh man, no way!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
I loved Radiohead until OK Computer, and think they lost the plot there and it only got worse with Kid A. But that's just me.

Do you prefer Pablo Honey to OK Computer?
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
I liked Pablo Honey, it's decent enough for a debut album. The Bends was such an improvement over PH that you could almost think it was a different band; the improvement was staggering. OK Computer doesn't work for me, and it didn't work for a lot of people back then. They kind of traded away one audience for another. I do think, as far as what I like musically, the last couple of Radiohead albums have been more up my alley.

Please don't ask what I think about Kid A. It isn't pretty.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »
Wow, interesting. The Bends is not even in my top5 RH albums. They have made such better music after the Bends, with Kid A head and shoulders above the rest.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
Yeah, Kid A is the shit.

And I'm not sure what the relevance is of the response to OK Computer then vs. now when it comes to its quality as an album... and I remember loving that shit when it came out.

• DT.net Member
Earned my red wings...don't wanna talk about it.
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
I think Jaq is just implying that it was somewhat of a letdown and that it's image has been bouyed by a newer faction of fans. Doesn't take anything away from it but I'm assuming he was just clarifying that, for a certain segment of the Radiohead fanbase, it isn't a classic. Kinda like how Load is (at least on DTF) not thoroughly despised and some even like it quite well despite an overwhelming majority of Metallica fans vomitting menstrual blood when it came out (it's like iron-flavored loogie *shudder*.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
Re: Earned my red wings...don't wanna talk about it.
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »
I think Jaq is just implying that it was somewhat of a letdown and that it's image has been bouyed by a newer faction of fans. Doesn't take anything away from it but I'm assuming he was just clarifying that, for a certain segment of the Radiohead fanbase, it isn't a classic. Kinda like how Load is (at least on DTF) not thoroughly despised and some even like it quite well despite an overwhelming majority of Metallica fans vomitting menstrual blood when it came out (it's like iron-flavored loogie *shudder*.)
nuggetz

Offline Jaq

Re: Earned my red wings...don't wanna talk about it.
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »

That's it in a nutshell, yes. :D

• DT.net Member
Unless you're referring to my altered subject line in the previous post.
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
Well that worked out rather well. And mizzl, what nuggets?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
Let Down is a song on OK Computer :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
Well at least I've confirmed the validity of my statement that I don't like Radiohead at all  :)