Author Topic: John Myung's ADTOE appreciation thread  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Orion1967

John Myung's ADTOE appreciation thread
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:12:37 AM »
I was just listening to LNF here at work and really noticed the basslines in LNF starting with the unisons at the bridge (starting around 4:50)... I guess I had the bass amped up a little bit for some reason, then started really listening primarily to the basslines.  This man's talent is really stellar.  I know that we all know it and there are other really slick basslines all over the album but I would love to hear what basslines are your favorites on the album.

Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Orion1967

Re: John Myung's ADTOE appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »
wow 30 something views and nothing?  ::)
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
Okay okay...well, I've been trying to pay more attention to JM's bass lines on this album and I have to say, without noting any specific songs/sections, his bass toooooone and volume (in the mix) is just PERFECT, and a good balance between the other instruments.

But I will give props to his circular bass line in the first verse of "Breaking All Illusions".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cable

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »
Not many replies as we kind of talked about it here https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27861.msg1058212#msg1058212
 ;)

Yeah, some good lines, a little more than doubling this time. But he has a better mix, and not overkill on distortion like on BC&SL.
---

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
The stuff he plays behind JP's solo in On the backs of angels is awesome. Also, some great bass lines in Outcry and Breaking all illusions as well.  :metal

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
I have yet to work out what my favourite bits of his playing are on this album, but I can certainly say, I love it all.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
I love how his playing standouts on this album and he has great parts all over. Off the top of my head I love the bassline he plays under

Once fearless and brave lyrics
 in Lost Not Forgotten.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »
JM has done a great job here, way better than on BC%SL. I love his parts in On The Backs Of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten, also during This Is The Life there are some awesome, awesome gentle stuff that You have to listen carefully to notice.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »
Not many replies as we kind of talked about it here https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27861.msg1058212#msg1058212
 ;)

Yeah, some good lines, a little more than doubling this time. But he has a better mix, and not overkill on distortion like on BC&SL.
Shit my bad i missed it... sorry to double post then.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline zipporaid

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »
wish there was a "scarred" -esque myung part on atdoe, but I'll take what we got.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »
JM has done a great job here, way better than on BC%SL.

That's cause he is literally inaudible on that album, save for a couple of moments, but you have to be really paying attention.

How about that part during the Outcry instrumental section. The real fast runs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »

That's cause he is literally inaudible on that album, save for a couple of moments, but you have to be really paying attention.

He's far from inaudible. He is cranked on ANTR, and perfectly audible on TCOT, TSF and Wither (although too low on TBOT and barely audible on AROP, especially considering he has such prominent bass parts there).

It comes down to the other factors such as the distorted tone and the guitar doubling that he's not as clear, but there is plenty of bass in there. But overall he's not mixed any lower than the average metal album at all. He just blends into the mix a bit. It's not like the last couple of albums have been And Justice For All...... :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 02:16:53 PM »

He's far from inaudible. He is cranked on ANTR, and perfectly audible on TCOT, TSF and Wither (although too low on TBOT and barely audible on AROP, especially considering he has such prominent bass parts there).

It comes down to the other factors such as the distorted tone and the guitar doubling that he's not as clear, but there is plenty of bass in there. But overall he's not mixed any lower than the average metal album at all. He just blends into the mix a bit. It's not like the last couple of albums have been And Justice For All...... :lol
Yeah I kinda of thought the same about BC&SL, I was always able to pick out the Bass... like others have said there seemed to be more distortion and a lot of the parts were somewhat unison in nature with JP's guitars but you can definately hear him if you listen for it.

I guess what I like about this album is that all over it there are a lot of basslines that are independent from the guitar or keyboard lines.  It's good to hear imho, he really is an absolutely phenominal bassist... he needs parts that showcase his incredible talent imho...
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Cranky

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
I really enjoy John Myung's bass playing on this album, it is more prominent, not just because his mix is turned up a bit more, but he doesn't have that distortion on his bass, and his bass is just thick sounding..
And you can hear his strings flop and smack around, especially in Bridges in The Sky, at around 1:50 to the verse.