Author Topic: Already being a DT fan and not realizing you are listening to DT  (Read 928 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Already being a DT fan and not realizing you are listening to DT
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:22:47 PM »
Here now, is the story of the first time I ever (sort of) heard Lie.

So, several friends, both of my brothers and I all got into Dream Theater in a big way in '92/'93, as we all loved Images and Words, and it definitely helped that the local hard rock radio station, KSHE-95, played the ever-loving crap out of Pull Me Under, Take the Time and Another Day. 

So then, we obviously we are looking forward to Awake like crazy when word got out that the band was gonna be releasing a new album in late 1994.

Now, back then, KSHE always had some two-hour Sunday evening show (cannot remember the name of it) where they would play nothing but new songs (at least I think that is what it was), and my younger brother Mark and I got wind of the fact that KSHE would be debuting Dream Theater's first single from their forthcoming album.  The song was called Lie.  Naturally, we were like, HELL YEAH!  So we made a point to both be home that evening and had the radio on and were ready to hear the new DT song.

The first several songs they played were by bands we weren't fond of, so naturally we'd turn the volume down for those and chat or whatever, and then perk up whenever another song was about to be played. 

At some point, without any introduction of who the song was by, a new song started playing, and it had this heavy as shit riff, and we were both like, "Okay, this isn't Dream Theater," so we again turned it down to where we could barely hear it, and with us talking about whatever for five minutes, we didn't catch much of it.  When the song was over, we turned the volume back up, only to hear the deejay say, "Folks, that was a brand new song by Dream Theater." :eek :eek :eek :eek

Needless to say, there was much :facepalm: on both of our parts.  I guess we were expecting a sound very similar to that of the I&W songs, and when it immediately wasn't it, we tuned it out. 

And that, ladies and gents, is the story of the first time I heard Lie. :lol :lol :lol

Offline kon_jakae

Re: Already being a DT fan and not realizing you are listening to DT
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »
I have never been in such incident. I never have a chance listing to their music without intention. However, I think I could recognize their musical pronunciation, if it is based on recognition of JP JR JLB as major sounds of DT. So, it depends, I think.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:09 PM »
Very good story, hahaha.
That sounds like something that would happen to me.  :facepalm:

The first time I heard Dream Theater was when I was just searching for new music, and I really don't remember how I stumbled upon them, but the first songs I got were from Jame's solo album, when the whole Octavarium and Elements of Persuasion fiasco was going on. You know the one I am talking about?

So, I was always blasting a couple songs that weren't even the right songs, on the right album, by the right band,
some of them weren't even named...
Like, Drained was just called N/A, so I just called it N/A... I didn't know any better at the time.

And, I remember hearing at least one other Dream Theater song, with the same sounding singer, so I was 100% sure it was Dream Theater...

Then, I found out it wasn't, and that's when I found Metropolis Pt. 1.....

I have been buying and finding their discography ever since.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
Nice story! Entertaining read! Haha.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 01:48:55 AM »
Very good story, hahaha.
That sounds like something that would happen to me.  :facepalm:

The first time I heard Dream Theater was when I was just searching for new music, and I really don't remember how I stumbled upon them, but the first songs I got were from Jame's solo album, when the whole Octavarium and Elements of Persuasion fiasco was going on. You know the one I am talking about?

So, I was always blasting a couple songs that weren't even the right songs, on the right album, by the right band,
some of them weren't even named...
Like, Drained was just called N/A, so I just called it N/A... I didn't know any better at the time.

And, I remember hearing at least one other Dream Theater song, with the same sounding singer, so I was 100% sure it was Dream Theater...

Then, I found out it wasn't, and that's when I found Metropolis Pt. 1.....

I have been buying and finding their discography ever since.
The same thing happened to me when Elements Of Persuasion were Octavarium by a moment ;) But I was highly suspicious about these songs, I wasn't sure that is DT for sure because of the drums. They were more simple than the last one from Train Of Thought... but I believed and went on a DT concert not listening to original 8VM album at all... First song They played was The Root Of All Evil and I was... :eek WTF IS THAT?  :D

Offline mooshinator

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:20:26 AM »
Good story!  I also had an experience of listening to DT and not knowing it was DT.

I first got into DT with I&W, Awake, and ACOS in the early to mid 90s.  They were easily my favorite contemporary band.  When FII came out, I hated out.  I was convinced that DT had sold out to the studio execs and were trying to go mainstream, so I stopped listening to them.

Fast forward 10 years, it's now 2008 and I have totally lost track of DT.  I was listening to my Pandora station in the background and all of a sudden this beautiful guitar intro started playing.  Now, Pink Floyd is my favorite band, and I know the sound of David Gilmour's guitar, and this guitar intro was, without a doubt, DG.  It obviously wasn't a Pink Floyd song (since I know them all), but maybe I was listening to some DG solo material I'd never heard?

So I kept listening and the solo was incredible.  Then I heard the voice, and it wasn't Gilmour.  But yet it sounded kind of familiar...  WTF?

I alt-tabbed to my Pandora window and...  what the hell, instead of this song being written by my favorite band, it was written by a former favorite band that I had totally forgot about?

I was listening to The Spirit Carries On off of Score.  I immediately looked Dream Theater up to see what they had been doing since FII, read all of the positive reviews of Scenes from a Memory, and over the course of the next year went back and bought all of the back albums I was missing.  DT continues to be my second favorite band of all time and (easily) my favorite contemporary band.

Offline djentlemen

• they took my fucking ship yargh argh
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:02:43 AM »
watches youtube video, it had annoying music.

wtf is this muse synth

mutes video

realise its prophets of war when i read the comments
life is like a shlong , it gets hard for no reason