Author Topic: So....I gave my buddy ADTOE to review and....  (Read 1881 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
So....I gave my buddy ADTOE to review and....
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:51 PM »
First off, he is a older dude like me, HUGE into Queensryche, Maiden and Rush.  He's seen DT before with me, but I wouldn't call him a hardcore fan.  Anywho, I asked him what he thought after a couple listens...

"It reminds me a lot of the last QR album in that all the songs sound pretty much the same.  There isn't any one song that jumps out at me as a stunner, or a completely different song than the rest of the album.  All the melodies are similar"

It's funny to me that this is what he came up with.  In the last few days, before he gave me his thoughts,  I was kind of leaning the same way.  While I absolutely LOVE the album, and it will probably end up in my DT Top4 of albums,  it does seem to lack big dynamic differences.  Especially the big 3, they are unique, but there are also a lot of melodic similarities.  I'm sure it might be valid to say..."Well...it's the theme/flow/feel of the album as a whole".  Here are some dynamics off of some of the other albums I can sight as Vastly different ...

LTL - Met 1
Voices - Scarred
TOT - LITS

These songs differ to me quite a bit structure/arrangement and melody wise.  I just don't feel that same "separation" in the songs off ADTOE.  Like I said... I love the album and don't mean this to be a negative, just an observation.  Maybe they intentionally wanted this type of "Flow"?

Offline Orthogonal

Re: So....I gave my buddy ADTOE to review and....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »
Huh? This is one of the most diverse overall albums they've ever released?

Lots of different styles and idea's flowing in this one.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
Huh? This is one of the most diverse overall albums they've ever released?

Lots of different styles and idea's flowing in this one.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
Leave it to someone who isn't really a fan to basically say that Beneath the Surface sounds like Lost Not Forgotten (since all of the songs sound pretty much the same, amirite?). :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
Well, I consider myself a fan, and I get where he's coming from.  :-[  Hey... If I'm off base...then cool, wouldn't be the first time.  Just what I perceive, and wondered if anyone else might feel the same.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
"It reminds me a lot of the last QR album in that all the songs sound pretty much the same.  There isn't any one song that jumps out at me as a stunner, or a completely different song than the rest of the album.  All the melodies are similar"
He compared ADToE to Dedicated to Chaos. Destroy him.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »

:lol  true....  His comparison was that both albums didn't have a lot of musical diversity.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »

That's especially odd considering that the songs on Dedicated to Chaos do NOT all sound pretty much the same.  It's quite varied.  Too varied, actually.  And most of the weird little branching out that QR did on that album fell flat on its face.

I'd say that the songs on ADTOE feel much more similar to each other than the songs on DTC do, but it's because they have some similarities in mood or tone, not because they're samey.

So pretty much what that guy said made no sense to me at all.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »
I like that ADTOE has a consistent tone to it. Not that the songs sound the same, but they have this atmosphere common to the songs. Makes for a good final, whole product IMO.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
I don't think the word "melody" means what you friend thinks it does.

If he means that there's a bit of a sonic similarity that blankets most of the album, then yes.  Some folks enjoy that cohesion, others don't.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »
I like that ADTOE has a consistent tone to it. Not that the songs sound the same, but they have this atmosphere common to the songs. Makes for a good final, whole product IMO.

That's kind of what I was trying to say. I like the flow and feel.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »
So...I'm chatting with him right now (we're at work).  I ask him what exactly he means...

"It's mostly the keyboards that sound similar between some of the songs."  he also said, and mind you, this guy does not frequent any DT forum or is not a rabid fan, That "The first song reminds me of Pull me Under"   I deff am not trying to open a can of worms... :lol  but that's straight from the mouth of a casual fan.

As far as the Keyboards....  I don't know.  There are a lot of soaring symphonic type keyboards on this album, which might be part of the similarities he's talking about.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
"The first song reminds me of Pull me Under"   I deff am not trying to open a can of worms... :lol 

Oh, yes you ARE!  :rollin  Seriously, though, I thought the same thing the 2nd time I listened to OTBOA.  It doesn't *sound* llike PMU, but yeah, there is something familiar about it.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »
Am I missing something?
This is one of their most diverse albums in a long time, in my opinion.

I don't think any of the melodies sound the same, none of the structures are really similar either... except when compared to Images and Words, of course. :neverusethis:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »
Am I missing something?

I don't think any of the melodies sound the same, none of the structures are really similar either... except when compared to Images and Words, of course. :neverusethis:
:facepalm:   :lol

OK...Like I mentioned in my opening post, I hear some similarities.  On BITS, Outcry and BAI's sometimes when I'm in an instrumental section...actually more BITS and Outcry  I have to think which song it is.  Now... some of that may disappear in time as the songs get ingrained, but I hear some similarities.  Also a lot of the backing melodic keyboards during versus are deff a recurring theme on this album. Which is cool...I LOVE them.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
Am I missing something?

:facepalm:   :lol

OK...Like I mentioned in my opening post, I hear some similarities.  On BITS, Outcry and BAI's sometimes when I'm in an instrumental section...actually more BITS and Outcry  I have to think which song it is.  Now... some of that may disappear in time as the songs get ingrained, but I hear some similarities.  Also a lot of the backing melodic keyboards during versus are deff a recurring theme on this album. Which is cool...I LOVE them.

Hahaha, I'm just kidding.

I can kind of see what you mean, the arabian feel in part of the Outcry instrumental section and the arabian feel in the Bridges In The Sky section kind of sound similar. But, I am 94% sure that you will get accustomed to each song the more you listen to the album, and can identify each section. It KIND OF happened to me, but not really.. By that, I mean it didn't happen at all.

But, I understand what you mean...

Kind of.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
Thanks...... :lol

Offline tofee35

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
First off, he is a older dude like me, HUGE into Queensryche, Maiden and Rush.  He's seen DT before with me, but I wouldn't call him a hardcore fan.  Anywho, I asked him what he thought after a couple listens...

It's funny to me that this is what he came up with.  In the last few days, before he gave me his thoughts,  I was kind of leaning the same way.  While I absolutely LOVE the album, and it will probably end up in my DT Top4 of albums,  it does seem to lack big dynamic differences.  Especially the big 3, they are unique, but there are also a lot of melodic similarities.  I'm sure it might be valid to say..."Well...it's the theme/flow/feel of the album as a whole".  Here are some dynamics off of some of the other albums I can sight as Vastly different ...

LTL - Met 1
Voices - Scarred
TOT - LITS

These songs differ to me quite a bit structure/arrangement and melody wise.  I just don't feel that same "separation" in the songs off ADTOE.  Like I said... I love the album and don't mean this to be a negative, just an observation.  Maybe they intentionally wanted this type of "Flow"?

That's accurate to my ear too. It's reminding me of Scenes alot. There's a good variation in arrangements from song to song, but the overall tonal quality (mood) is consistent througout. I feel like ADTOE could be the soundtrack for the matrix or something...it has that kind of feeling to me: grand, atmospherically futuristic, greasy and triumphant. I know what I mean

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 12:16:18 AM »
I feel like ADTOE could be the soundtrack for the matrix or something...it has that kind of feeling to me: grand, atmospherically futuristic, greasy and triumphant.

DT's next album should be titled Greasy and Triumphant.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 12:17:11 AM »
Yeah this album is very diverse... I'm glad I don't have his ears

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 12:22:50 AM »
I feel like ADTOE could be the soundtrack for the matrix or something...it has that kind of feeling to me: grand, atmospherically futuristic, greasy and triumphant.

DT's next album should be titled Greasy and Triumphant.

:lol And the album cover should totally be the "Six Inches of Inner Turbulence" pic.

*hopes you know the picture, otherwise this conversation gets even more awkward*
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »
Well, as far as the consistant "Feel" of the album I would attribute that to a really good mix and mastering.  As far as melodies being the same... you'd have to be on crack to think that imho.  I for one APPRECIATE an album that has a good even and consistant mix to it.  Albums that have one song that sounds like it was recorded in a gymnasium then another that sounds like it was recorded in an open field, then another that was well recorded with completely different equipment and only 2 mics in a live room.... that kind of inconsistancy drives me apeshit to be honest.

I heard a plethora of muisical diversity fromthe first listen.

Tell your friend I hear Justin Beiber has a new album coming out.... maybe thats enough diversity?  ;D
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 11:35:30 AM »
Breaking All Illusions doesn't even sound like it belongs on this album with the other songs. It's so incredibly awesome and diverse it can't even be compared with Persians and shamans.