Author Topic: Take back any benefit of the doubt you ever gave Fox News  (Read 26322 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Take back any benefit of the doubt you ever gave Fox News
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »
Look at the graph again. According to Fox's perversion of the graph, current unemployment rate under Obama (8.6 percent) has been manipulated to look like it's higher than March's unemployment rate, even though Marches was actually higher by .2 percent.

Offline jsem

« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
Lolgraph

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »
In other words (and I just did this in 5 seconds so it might not be perfect), if the people at Fox actually took any pride in their profession, the graph would look more like this:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »
So...the line on the graph doesn't exactly match up with the number, and...that means something.  Okay...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
Compare where the 8.6% mark is compared to the 8.8% mark.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
So...the line on the graph doesn't exactly match up with the number, and...that means something.  Okay...
When you're a major news outlet? Yeah, I'd say it's fairly important.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2011, 09:15:33 AM »
Fox: We can't even use excel correctly.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »

I mean no matter what that line looks like, the numbers are printed nice and big right above it.  So anyone who can read numbers will see the decline.  My guess was that this graph was thrown together by a graphics guy really quickly and the inaccuracy of the line is just oversight.  You'd be surprised at how fast these graphics get whipped together.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »
This reflects horribly on Fox either way. Their graphics design people are either super lazy, or hate Obama enough to alter their graph so that the inattentive people who just want to hate on Obama with them (read: the entirety of their audience) will overlook the numbers and say, "OH HO HO THE GRAPH ISN'T GOING DOWN. FUCKIN OBAMA"

Take your pick.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2011, 09:28:30 AM »
Considering the short time those graphs are usually put on screen, I'm inclined to say it's more important that the trend of the graph be accurate than the label for each point.

Of course, I don't think it's too much to ask for both.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »
I mean either way you look at it, it doesn't really matter.  You shouldn't be watching Fox news anyways.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2011, 09:37:13 AM »
Y'all are overlooking the fact that titling the graph "unemployment rate under Obama" is what's so unprofessional.  There's providing an overt implication to push an agenda rather than just presenting facts.  A more reasonable approach would have been to provide "unemployment rate over last 4 years".  People can then determine what factors might be contributing. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
I mean it shouldn't be any surprise to anyone that Fox news is biased.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2011, 09:50:03 AM »
You'd be surprised at how fast these graphics get whipped together.
No I wouldn't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
That obviously wasn't a mistake. They did that purposely to hide the fact that unemployment is supposedly the lowest it's been in the graph. They can't have Obama looking good ever.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »

You think it doesn't?  Really?  Come on, man.  I know you're not liberal, but really?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
8.6 rounds up to 9 ;-)))

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
That obviously wasn't a mistake. They did that purposely to hide the fact that unemployment is supposedly the lowest it's been in the graph. They can't have Obama looking good ever.

I mean, I wouldn't say they are hiding anything.  The numbers are clearly printed for all to see.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »

I mean, I wouldn't say they are hiding anything.  The numbers are clearly printed for all to see.

I think Fox News (sic) is hiring if you're interested.  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »

That's the genius of it. Most people won't at the numbers and say, "Wow! It's the lowest it's ever been!" Most will just glance at the graph and think that nothing has really been changing at all. It's a very biased graph created specifically to draw attention away from anything that might make Obama be seen in a good light.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
Well duh, Fox news.  No shit its biased.  But they aren't hiding anything really.  It's not their fault their viewers can't read numbers or that they choose to ignore the numbers.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
So we should hold a news agency to the standards of it's dumbest viewer? Regardless of who watches, its still a disgraceful example of misrepresenting data.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »

what

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
Yes

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »

When you have a very strong and very reoccurring theme of having such "errors" always fall inline with a certain ideology, I'd say it means something. It's like how whenever a Republican does something very "bad," they "accidentally" label him a Democrat in their news footage.

In Britain, they call Murdoch's crap tabloids, in America, we call it News.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »

When you have a very strong and very reoccurring theme of having such "errors" always fall inline with a certain ideology, I'd say it means something. It's like how whenever a Republican does something very "bad," they "accidentally" label him a Democrat in their news footage.

In Britain, they call Murdoch's crap tabloids, in America, we call it News.

Come on, that never happens, except, when it does

And does again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »

You think it doesn't?  Really?  Come on, man.  I know you're not liberal, but really?

Not much, no.  I look at it this way:  If it was an accident, it's the kind of thing that happens all the time, on every major news outlet.  So, in that case, I don't see why the finger-pointing at Fox.  If it was done on purpose, it's the kind of thing that happens on the time, on every cable news outlet.  So, in that case, I don't see why the finger-pointing at Fox.  Either way, it doesn't really jump out at me as being a significant issue.  And I understand that it's easy to write off my opinion because I am a "conservative" defending a "conservative news network."  But, honestly, that's not it.  First off, I don't watch Fox news, and couldn't care less what they broadcast.  Second, it's just such a minor issue, and I would feel the same if it were MSNBC doing the same thing to a conservative president (if there was such a thing).  If people want to bash Fox News, I get it.  But there are such better arguments than something as insignificant as this.  It would be like someone making the argument that "The Nazis were bad [okay, I'm with you so far] because their grey uniforms were so drab looking [wait...you lost me there]."  I just don't see the big deal.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
Well, I strongly disagree that it's a "minor issue"

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
I don't see how distorting the truth is a minor issue.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »
Well, I strongly disagree that it's a "minor issue"

Okay.  I'm just saying it doesn't bother me much.  I mean, does it bother me that we have a corrupt and unreliable news media (as a whole, on both sides of the aisle, IMO)?  Yeah.  But I take that for granted.  And given that, even assuming this was done on purpose (which I don't know), it just strikes me as such a small, insignificant drop in the bucket that it doesn't really phase me. 

But whatever.  I can still agree that you write good music, so...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »
I wish BOTH sides were held to a higher standard, but unfortunately they are not. 

And thanks for the music comment  ;D

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »

Not much, no.  I look at it this way:  If it was an accident, it's the kind of thing that happens all the time, on every major news outlet.  So, in that case, I don't see why the finger-pointing at Fox.  If it was done on purpose, it's the kind of thing that happens on the time, on every cable news outlet.  So, in that case, I don't see why the finger-pointing at Fox.  Either way, it doesn't really jump out at me as being a significant issue.  And I understand that it's easy to write off my opinion because I am a "conservative" defending a "conservative news network."  But, honestly, that's not it.  First off, I don't watch Fox news, and couldn't care less what they broadcast.  Second, it's just such a minor issue, and I would feel the same if it were MSNBC doing the same thing to a conservative president (if there was such a thing).  If people want to bash Fox News, I get it.  But there are such better arguments than something as insignificant as this.  It would be like someone making the argument that "The Nazis were bad [okay, I'm with you so far] because their grey uniforms were so drab looking [wait...you lost me there]."  I just don't see the big deal.

You should really try watching Fox News sometime, becuase you apparently don't know what you're talking about. Other networks are bad, yes, and I would love it if we had no 24 hour news networks, but that doesn't mean Fox isn't the worse offender - by far - and that it doesn't distort, lie and almost constantly present a narrative.