Author Topic: Take back any benefit of the doubt you ever gave Fox News  (Read 26328 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Take back any benefit of the doubt you ever gave Fox News
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »
Because there's nothing evil about either of the two main parties in America. Calling either one of them "evil" seems a bit extreme.

As far as I'm aware, you guys don't even have all the extreme right-wing parties that Europe seem to be popping up all over Europe right now.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2011, 01:28:47 PM »
They're both garbage.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »
I agree. Doesn't mean they're evil though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »
I don't think it is; I just happen to think the platform and underlying philosophy is more relevant to the world we live in today.

I'd be curious to hear what that actually is.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Not really. Honestly, it sounds like you're just trying to discount every Republican by saing the conservative way of thinking itself is inherently flawed or useless, because it's old or something. That's a jarringly black-and-white way of looking at politics, and the reason we're having the problem with government we're having now, because instead of actually working to find the common philosophical framework to meet relevant issues head-on, the intelligentsia of both parties just smugly assert the total corruption of the other from on high. It's a process that completely lacks any real philosophy at all, and instead is an endless round of semantic bickering and dishonest appeals to whatever is trendy at the moment.

But I guess I'll wait for you to answer the first question.

In the briefest and most concise form, Orion and Barto pretty much got it, but I'd add to it a great deal of faith placed in the market which I don't think is a bad thing necessarily but I think they give the market far more credit than it's due.  There also seems to be this sense in American conservatism of "Let X take care of Y issue," ranging from let the market worry about environmental issues to let the municipality worry about racial divides.  Leaving alone moral views on race and other things in both ideological poles, I guess I just get this big impression that conservatives here, rather than being activist, really stick to this "Let ______ take care of it."  They don't believe it seems that government can do anything, or that massive initiative is necessary in solving X issue, whereas I feel that liberals and the government intervention thing are born out of a feeling that change is key and change needs to be made to happen, and you can't let market forces or social forces take care of it.  And hey, I could be totally wrong here, but that's the impression I get.  Tea Partiers sure ain't no New Left or hippies.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
As purely evil as the Democratic party is, the Republican party simply doesn't have anyone in the running who I would consider a good option for Chief Exec.

Oh my lord. I so need a break from PR.  :P

Super Dude, I get what your saying. All I'm saying is you don't need to look at everything black and white, and reject everything the other party says just because they're the "evil" guys who can't possibly have any good ideas. Basically, what I'm saying is, don't be like Bosk.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:39:42 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
 :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
But the right in America are not really composed of real Conservatives. Neocons take all the worst crap from both liberalism and conservatism and have created some sort of hybrid monster of the worst political ideas anyone has ever had.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
But the right in America are not really composed of real Conservatives. Neocons take all the worst crap from both liberalism and conservatism and have created some sort of hybrid monster of the worst political ideas anyone has ever had.

That's pretty much my sense.  Although again, I would like to emphasize that it's not so black and white from where I'm standing; I don't reject those values because they're conservative, I reject conservatism because those are the values it stands for.  A rose by any other name, right?

Also specific to my rejection of the Republican party, from an NYT op-ed:

It sometimes seems as if they are the only ones who talk about their values, but they put forward an elitist and narrow vision that largely favors the upwardly mobile, the healthy, the native-born American and the needs of the corporation.

This cold message is disguised, of course, cloaked in warm-sounding talk of solid American traditions and values.

That's my biggest problem with the party itself.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:45:14 AM by Super Dude »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2011, 07:02:31 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with El Barto that the best way to summarize what passes for Conservatism in America today (whether it be mainstream Republicans, neocons, Tea Baggers, or self-styled "Libertarians") is "Every man for himself."  That is why I, in large part, agree with Super Dude, because that philosophy is diametrically opposed to my personal sense of what is best for America and the world in general.

And lol at bosky for calling Democrats evil.  If either of the two parties could be considered evil, surely it is the Republicans.  And this comes from someone who is a registered voter Unaffiliated with either party.  The Democrats have their share of problems, but evil isn't one of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with El Barto that the best way to summarize what passes for Conservatism in America today (whether it be mainstream Republicans, neocons, Tea Baggers, or self-styled "Libertarians") is "Every man for himself."  That is why I, in large part, agree with Super Dude, because that philosophy is diametrically opposed to my personal sense of what is best for America and the world in general.

And lol at bosky for calling Democrats evil.  If either of the two parties could be considered evil, surely it is the Republicans.  And this comes from someone who is a registered voter Unaffiliated with either party.  The Democrats have their share of problems, but evil isn't one of them.
I don't know what to make of that comment. If you think that any conservative point of view is accurately summarized by "every man for himself," then you're confused. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
Saying conservatism means "every man for himself" is like saying progressive r  or liberal thinking means "every man for the state."

:corn

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »
To once again make a distinction, I don't think he's referring to all conservatism throughout time and space, but American conservatism in the last decade or so.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Saying conservatism means "every man for himself" is like saying progressive r  or liberal thinking means "every man for the state."

Which is exactly how the right caricaturizes (is that a word?) the left.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »
I think both political parties are pretty evil. *shrug*

edit: I mean, of course, the politicians who compose them.

Offline livehard

« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2011, 10:04:04 AM »
New headline "Those who don't follow the scientific process embarass humanity"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »

I don't know what to make of that comment. If you think that any conservative point of view is accurately summarized by "every man for himself," then you're confused.
I'm not confused, although most of the prominent Republicans/Tea Baggers seem to be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jsem

« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
The notion that libertarians and or conservatives aren't compassionate is false.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »
The notion that libertarians and or conservatives aren't compassionate is false.
Then they need better PR people.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
Wasn't that Bush the Second's platform? The Compassionate Conservative?

Offline livehard

« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »

I think the thing is that its not a super easy thing to see how the common man will benifit from hands off government.  Its a much quicker and easier thing to let the mind agree with the thinking "oh govt welfare = helping the poor".  It takes some thinking and studying about how incentives effect people, and how economics work to realize how things work quite the opposite.

Its the same as minimum wage, its easy to say "oh it helps those making little money" but its not easy to see how it has caused such a high unemployment rate in the teenage, minority, and low skilled worker communities...

Offline jsem

« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
I'm telling you, if it were all up to charity and no welfare state - my belief is actually that the conservatives would be the one helping out the most. Christian values, you know? Serving others. At least it should be that way, but you never know with the so called family values people.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2011, 04:51:40 PM »

I think the thing is that its not a super easy thing to see how the common man will benifit from hands off government.  Its a much quicker and easier thing to let the mind agree with the thinking "oh govt welfare = helping the poor".  It takes some thinking and studying about how incentives effect people, and how economics work to realize how things work quite the opposite.

Its the same as minimum wage, its easy to say "oh it helps those making little money" but its not easy to see how it has caused such a high unemployment rate in the teenage, minority, and low skilled worker communities...

I studied economics.  Your argument is false.

Offline livehard

« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2011, 04:58:25 PM »

what a useless post... how so?

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »
watch it, livehard.  this is warning #2

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
I think that's a record. :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »
Doesn't say much. There are people who have studied economics who have come to a different conclusion.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
Doesn't say much. There are people who have studied economics who have come to a different conclusion.
Indeed. Minimum wage helps those people on the low end of the wage scale, IF they still have a job. It hurts those who consequently lose their job or are unable to acquire one.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »
:|

:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »
He could probably do better.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »
No, she's a masterpiece.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2011, 04:16:22 AM »
:clap:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2011, 08:19:30 AM »
OK, bumping this in case anyone forgot how awesome Fox's reporting is:

Here's the chart that belongs to Fox's "source":

You know, Fox never fails to remind me that there's no need to hold anything you do to high standards.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2011, 08:26:06 AM »
???