Author Topic: My dramatic turn of events  (Read 1323 times)

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
My dramatic turn of events
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:29 AM »
Hello again, DTF.

It's been a while since I've been here with you all. I won't waste much of your time. I just want to ask you for something. Before I ask though, I just want the admins to know I reread through the rules to make sure I wasn't breaking any with my comments, and I'll make sure I keep it that way.

Recently, I quit smoking marijuana (insert pot jokes here, laugh, get it out of the system, and come back to reality), and all I ask is for a little guidance. So far, to beat the urge, I have been creating a new series of works depicting what my body and mind go through with this change, I get a lot more fresh air these days and I've been going to the movies frequently. But, what I ask of you is simple; encouragement.

There will be days that are just going to plain suck and I'm prolly gonna jones. I don't know how much, but if you think what I'm doing is right, just help me refresh. I know there's maybe a thread on pot here, but I don't want this to turn into one of those (ok admins, feel free to interject if you want).

So, I look forward to getting back into the thicket here. I just wanted to get this off my chest. I won't waste anymore of your time.

Offline Xanthul

Re: My dramatic turn of events
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:40:21 AM »
You have my support dude, what you're doing is definitely good for you and you will be glad you've done it in years to come.

Think about it from the economic perspective too - you could start putting the money which you would have spent in pot in a box or something and do something nice at the end of the month with all those savings.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:20 AM »
You definitely have my support man. Weed's always sold as like a peaceful drug or whatever, but a lot of my friends turn into complete dicks when they're high.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:59:11 AM »
All my support, you sound like you're on the right track and know more about what you're doing than you allow yourself to believe.
This is kinda weird for me cause I stop for months at a time when I travel for work and it doesn't bother me at all. not even at first. So I know I can permanently quit if I wanted to without much hassle but I don't see why I should as it's not affecting any other aspect of my life.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
You won't regret it once you've done it. It sure will be tough the first time, but as the others say, that's nothing compared to all the time you'll be glad you quit. Be strong man!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »
Chemical addiction is no joke in any way, shape, or form.  I myself am currently battling 20 years of alcoholism(and doing pretty fucking well, I might add).  For you to recognize that you have a problem, and to take action on your own volition shows a tremendous amount of charecter on your part.  There are many options to seeking help.  If the struggle gets too great, there are twelve step programs, and online forums dedicated to substance abuse.  the one I use is soberrecovery, and has been very helpful in just making me not feel like a lone wolf in my struggles.  As for day to day shit, scare up your routines, make lifestyle and dietary improvements.  You didn't state the severity of your usage(nor do you need to publicly) but if you want to talk further, PM me.  Good luck man.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »
I was a habitual pot smoker for many years. I too decided to quit (5 years ago) and going from being high all day long to not smoking any pot at all was difficult in the beginning, but I can tell you from first hand experience it is well worth it. I have nothing against people who still choose to smoke pot, I'm not one of those...'I quit so you should all quit' dudes. To each his own. I needed to quit for mental and physical reasons. Primarily anxiety issues. Anyway, the clarity I obtained and the 'fresh' perspective that accompanies all my decisions since that day makes me very happy I chose to do so. I also began to 'feel' better physically and I actually directed a lot of that energy and time I commited to pot smoking to working out and exercising and now at 35 years old, as infomercially cliched as it may sound, I am in the best shape of my life.  I wish you the best of luck and if it does get tough just try to remember and hold on to what it was that brought you to want to stop in the first place.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »
I've come to believe that it is strong medicine with a definite risk of addiction, but that the benefit outweighs the downside.  However, I think it is better to use as part of a self-psychoanalsis regimen -- I'm trying to avoid the "recreational" vs. "serious" use verbiage since I believe that usage is indeed recreational but can also be "serious" simultaneously --  wherein it helps one to realize how much of an asshole one is and that what we hate in others is in ourselves (or at least we do negative things similar to that which we hate in others).   Of course, it helps to try to at least feign universal self-acceptance, to use a phrase of Albert Ellis, so that the realization that one has assholish tendencies does not plunge one into total depression.  However, it is not a surprise that young adults quit since it is especially difficult at that age (IMO) to look at one's own flaws.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »
good luck brother.
I won't preach or get opinionated....to each their own.
I just think you'll be better off...so good luck.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 02:36:57 AM »
The gravity of all of your support can never be weighed.
The appreciation of your kind words can never be properly displayed.
The sense of pride I have with being on DTF, at this moment, can never be fully explained.

Thank you all so much.

THED6

"The dawn of a new day never looked as good as this"

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
I think I can speak for the majority of the forum in stating that you have our support :tup

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 02:08:03 AM »
Big thumbs up from me too.  :tup
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
Good luck man! It'll be worth it!

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 08:01:01 AM »
Good for you! Feel free to share your creations when the dust settles. :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
I went on an extended hiatus a few years ago, that lasted two years.  It's a different mindset than yours, but there's a common thread.  In my case,  I never intended to quit permanently.  I wanted to quit smoking habitually in favor of a return to smoking recreationally (sorry Rogerdil).  I just didn't find it to be any fun when I was breaking out the bong every night after work.  What's the point of smoking if it's no longer fun. 

My notion was that I'd quit until something came along that was cool enough to warrant getting high.  I was leaning towards a vacation in the mountains, or something along those lines.  If some French dude whipped out a joint at Morrison's grave, that would qualify.  What I found was that the longer it went on, the more monumental said event would have to be.  After two years of not smoking,  it'd have to be one helluva special occasion. 

I'd suggest you take a similar mindset.  Not that you'll smoke again when the time is right, but that the longer you've gone, the more you'd be throwing away if you start smoking again.  I think AA type programs are completely full of shit, but that chip thing actually makes a helluva lot of sense to me.  If I had a 1 year chip, chucking that thing would kill me.  So my suggestion would be to always look at is as how much you're already won.

And for anybody who's interested, the special event that was monumental enough was DT/Iron Maiden touring together. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 09:09:44 AM »
I went on an extended hiatus a few years ago, that lasted two years.  It's a different mindset than yours, but there's a common thread.  In my case,  I never intended to quit permanently.  I wanted to quit smoking habitually in favor of a return to smoking recreationally (sorry Rogerdil).  I just didn't find it to be any fun when I was breaking out the bong every night after work.  What's the point of smoking if it's no longer fun. 

My notion was that I'd quit until something came along that was cool enough to warrant getting high.  I was leaning towards a vacation in the mountains, or something along those lines.  If some French dude whipped out a joint at Morrison's grave, that would qualify.  What I found was that the longer it went on, the more monumental said event would have to be.  After two years of not smoking,  it'd have to be one helluva special occasion. 

I'd suggest you take a similar mindset.  Not that you'll smoke again when the time is right, but that the longer you've gone, the more you'd be throwing away if you start smoking again.  I think AA type programs are completely full of shit, but that chip thing actually makes a helluva lot of sense to me.  If I had a 1 year chip, chucking that thing would kill me.  So my suggestion would be to always look at is as how much you're already won.

And for anybody who's interested, the special event that was monumental enough was DT/Iron Maiden touring together.

This is the current route I'm headed on. I smoke every day... at first, not really by my own choice, but because I live with a pothead and all of my friends are potheads. Everytime I am around people, I am offered weed. And I'm not peer pressured into it, but I do it because I actually enjoy it, and hey, if someone is offering me free weed, why not? But since I've started school, I've been smoking every single day, and like you said, it's really losing it's edge. I used to enjoy when getting high was a special event, not just another activity I participate in on a daily basis.

I tried to actually take a short break this month, but way too much shit came up... namely a lot of fucking great albums and my birthday.  :P Summers are usually a period of sobriety for me, as I am usually home alone and not around people that smoke pot as much. I still light up, but it isn't a daily thing, usually weekly or bi-weekly. The weird thing is, while it certainly affects my mood at times (for better or for worse) it hasn't changed much else in my life. I still get excellent grades when I smoke everyday. Sometimes I actually realize exactly what it is I want to do in life, and that only seems to come about when I'm high.  :lol But for the most part, the reason I get high is simply because it adds a completely new dimension to music. That is fascinating to me, and very rarely do I care all that much about how it makes me "feel".

Anyways, not trying to derail the thread.... best of luck quitting.  :tup I've had a few friends over the years that have quit. I'm sure it's tough at first, but stick to your guns if it is truly what you want! Also this post contains a lot of commas.  :lol

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 12:27:09 AM »
^Dude, no worries. The only way you would derail the thread is if you started being all "Fuck you, weed is awesome" or something like that. But every single person here is really helpful and insightful.

I used to enjoy when getting high was a special event, not just another activity I participate in on a daily basis.

I still get excellent grades when I smoke everyday. Sometimes I actually realize exactly what it is I want to do in life, and that only seems to come about when I'm high.  :lol But for the most part, the reason I get high is simply because it adds a completely new dimension to music. That is fascinating to me, and very rarely do I care all that much about how it makes me "feel".

I honestly and unequivocally have to agree with these statements. When I was on campus, I had so many people to get together with. There was a fraternity (name undisclosed) that was full of ganja lovers and I'm surprised I didn't pledge with them. I already know them well, we smoked prolly once or twice a month as a way of expression. It was nice to know we created and explored a lot together. I still got excellent grades too, and it was a helluva way to decompress during my senior thesis.

The new dimension aspect of music is right on in my opinion. I don't know how many people reading this have experience this ethereal level I'm talking about, but there is just a certain level of simplistic chaos that creates the atmosphere that is music when you listen to it. Describing it fully would still not do it justice, but truth be told I still hear it. Ever since I found it's always been there. It's comforting to know that one good effect of ganja doesn't go away.

What's the point of smoking if it's no longer fun. 

o/

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 05:45:18 AM »
I actually directed a lot of that energy and time I commited to pot smoking to working out and exercising...I am in the best shape of my life.

I actually took this to heart. I picked up my 20 lb. weights again and I lift every night.

Sadly one of my boobs is bigger than the other.  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
I'm 47 and a recovering alcoholic and drug addict.  Some of you here know my story, I'll save it for another time.  Recently, I had a brief relapse after 14 years of sobriety.  Without getting into a long, drawn out and dramatic description of what happened, I will just tell you that it was awful.  When I drink I pretty much black out, so it was pretty fucked up to get up the next morning and realize what kind of stupidity I had engaged in the day before, but one must move on, so I have moved on.  I have a very supportive family, especially my wife.

This may sound a little weird coming from a guy with my history, but I honestly don't think pot is all that dangerous, and the reason I think that is based on experience and the fact that pretty much my entire family has been smoking it on a regular basis ever since I can remember and none of them have ever had any problems, whether they be social problems or emotional/mental issues or whatever.  They are all very well-adjusted, fully-functional, productive and otherwise law abiding citizens with homes, cars, jobs, families, friends, etc.

However, with that said, I believe it is up to each individual to decide for themselves what is best for them and if someone believes that quitting smoking pot is what is best for them, then I would say, good for you!  And now the question becomes, how to accomplish it?

The best advice I can give is try to avoid being around people who are using it, at least in the beginning.  They have an old saying around the halls of the 12-step programs that goes something like this:  "If you don't want a haircut, then don't hang around in a barbershop."  So, clearly, if you don't want to smoke pot, then it's probably not a good idea to be around people who are smoking pot.  The other thing I would suggest is seek out other people who have a similar desire.  12-step programs are not for everyone, but they can provide a good foundation of support and help you meet like-minded individuals who share your struggle and understand what it's like to try quitting.  There is actually a program out there called Marijuana Anonymous that applies the same basic 12-step principles that the other more well-known programs apply.  Again, not for everyone, but definitely a good place to meet some new friends who have a common goal.

Good luck to you.  I hope some of this was helpful to you.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »
Good luck man. I never thought of weed as being addictive, but in your case it sounds like it is. Good on you for taking initiative to make a positive change in your life. We got your back.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:58:10 AM »
Good luck man.  I have nothing against pot, but this is probably the best move for you.  DTF's got your back.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
@kirk... the thing about pot is a lot of people have bad associations with it because of the stereotypes that have been portrayed in the last century or so. You CAN be a perfectly fine, law abiding person and smoke pot. I view it as a recreational thing, like drinking. Are they the healthiest things in the world? No. But if it's responsible use, it shouldn't be viewed so negatively. However, like drinking, some people are prone to have negative effects come about it, especially if abused. I know a lot of people who have anxiety problems and have to cut down on pot since it sometimes can be a trigger. So it can be abused or dangerous to someone's mental/physical help, even though i wouldn't consider it the "norm" for most pot smokers. people just react to things in different ways, and we're all human

i'm sorry but i am high right now too

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 08:16:27 PM »
I'm an occasional pot-smoker. Only once every week or two. You totally have my support. No problems with the drug myself, but it's always nice to see someone decide to make the change. :tup

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 03:18:26 AM »
Once again, thank you all for your kind and supportive words. They go for miles.

Secondly, I don't think it's fair to all of you that I ask for encouragement when so many of you don't even know what happened to me. There may be one or two things I am not ready to share with the DTF world yet, but I'm sure in time I can come to let you all know. In the meantime, here's my story. All the names and places have been erased to bring home the core of the story, so no one will be implicated. I also apologize if anything in here sounds preachy, elevated or in some way dramatic; it's just how I felt about it.

2009, senior year at college.
I was dating a rather attractive junior for about a year and a half. She has cervical cancer and ovarian cyst formations on a monthly basis. I didn't care, I loved her. For a time she was in the hospital for chemo. While there, the doctors gave her medical grade marijuana. She liked it. While we were together though she never smoked with me until one fall day. She rolled a fatty, and we went outside near the beach. Here is what happened the first time I smoked:

I had a panic attack for 45 minutes, passed out and when I woke up I legitimately thought I was on Mars, or some planet that looked oddly enough like Earth. Yes, this is true. No, I'm not lying. Yes, Mars. A couple of other firsts happened that day but that's besides the point.

The second time I tried I had another panic attack, but this time she walked me through it in 2 minutes. After that, I thought it was the most ethereal feeling in the world. Words don't describe feelings like these; they ruin them. There were many times after then that I would smoke with her. After she was expelled from campus due to missed homework, multiple doctor visits and emotional problems, I had to rely on friends; not all of them smoked.

As my senior thesis picked up I used it as a way to decompress from the stress of constant creation. I found myself buying more and more, but I wasn't paying any bills, so I had nothing to lose.

Fast forward to 2010.

I graduated from college. Everyone from college scattered to the far edges of America. I dumped my girlfriend for kissing her ex. I was left with nothing; this was good. It gave me time to look for a job, get my shit together and hopefully pay off bills. The first job I got was in sales. Nothing earth shattering; part time, decent pay, long shifts. 1/4 of my paycheck went towards marijuana. As the months went on, I was not getting any art done. I felt more and more inclined to hang with friends and relax. I started to hang out with my brother again. We had been on unspeaking terms, and I found out he smoked too; all the more reason to hang out.

I left my job in sales to work in a restaurant. Everybody here smokes. It felt so good to be around people my age as well. As I kept getting bank in tips, the more and more I would spend on smoking items like bowls and a bong. The bad part was third shift work. I stopped seeing a lot of my friends when I started this job. I found myself in my room, nowhere to go, and smoking up.

You know that dark hole they say everyone who's in a depression falls into? Well I fell hard. It was even the only way I could deal with seeing my brother and his bitch of a girlfriend. I would pass up opportunities to hang with people from college. My family would rarely see me. Whatever art I could have been making was never even reaching paper. I even stopped trying to find a girlfriend. I just didn't care. Whatever good vibes I had at the beginning when I could smoke, they were long gone...maybe even dead.

For a few weeks, I was considering quitting. Not for health, not for money, not for peace of mind, not even for art's sake; but for my sister. She has told me on multiple occasions that she does not want me to smoke. She's always been afraid that I would get arrested, get addicted, or worse. However, she never told me to do it, she would only mention that she wished I would stop. She never acted like my mother and told me to do anything.

This is the part of the story that twists and turns for the worse.

One day, my brother calls me while I'm hanging with FTBD7. He wants to smoke and he wants me to pay. I ask if the bitch can pay cause she owes me anyway (I covered her twice in the past). He says that that's bullshit. A huge argument rises out of this and then they start threatening to call the cops. I have my opinions on police involvement with this situation, but I'll leave them for later.

The next day, he tells my dad that I smoke pot.

I had no choice. I confessed. Everything was thrown out and my dad was disappointed in me; not as much as he was proud that I told the truth though. The funny thing of it was that when everything was thrown out, I never stopped to say, "hey! look what he is doing with your shit! STOP HIM!". When I threw it out it felt like I was just waiting for the right opportunity to do this. I just needed a good reason to do it. After everything was in the trash, I felt one of the biggest burdens lifted from my shoulders. It felt like I didn't have to lie about what was going on anymore, and it finally hit me that I had a problem stopping.

it may sound stupid, but I'm really glad my brother did what he did.

Curiosity, however, gets the better of me. Sometime after, I decided to test this shaking feeling I've had in the back of my head: Was marijuana the cause of me being so apathetic? And I tested it the only way I knew how; smoking one last time. I assure you, this time I would do it with friends. If I still felt the need to be copacetic around people, then I knew this wasn't meant to be.

I can safely say the entire time I was high I was beyond copacetic; I was comatose. I only remember sitting there, for hours. I didn't talk to anyone. I rarely acknowledged another's presence. I stopped being myself. I stopped being alive. I was more vegetable than any cucumber on the planet. it hurt a lot to know that something I found to be so much fun was being a leech on my life.

Maybe in time I can come back years from now and try once more in moderation, but until then, ce la vie.

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »
ThroughHerEyesDude6, I am in the same boat as you. We will both make it through fine. Quitting after about 3-4 years of 4/5 day a week use. I am kind of in El Barto's situation though, I don't plan on quitting forever but to rather savor it for special occasions.

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.