Author Topic: Breaking All Illusions Solo Jam Appreciation Thread  (Read 1525 times)

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
Breaking All Illusions Solo Jam Appreciation Thread
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
I was listening to BAI today and was really struck by JP's solo section.  From 7:11 to 8:09 is probably one of my favorite parts on the whole album.  Not only is JP's solo throughout this whole section awesome, but I'm loving the groove that MM and JM are layin down.  Please, JR with his killer sounding organ patch.... it gives me shivers!  Very chill and full of tasty grooviness.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline JohnnyLayne

• His Dudeness
Re: Breaking All Illusions Solo Jam Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:23:41 PM »
Just registered today (after all the mp.com madness) and this is perfect for my first post. I really love this solo!!!  haha :metal

From the tone, the phrasing, that cool gilmourish vibe along JR's organ patch. And then the awesome crescendo in the vein of LITS. Easily the best JP solo in the album, and one of JP's finest ever.  :hefdaddy

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »
I love it. There was certainly a lava lamp in the room when they wrote that part.
Felt a Gilmour and Waters kinda jam moment there.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Diffidentia

• Almighty Snowman
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »
(Also my first post on these forums)

I agree, that section is rocking, however I would dare to say that from 5:02 on is some of the best writing Dream Theater has ever done. It's a perfect instrumental section that has high's and lows, twists and turns, and finishes with an epic chorus, and an even epicer (word?) finish revisiting a musical motif from the end of Far From Heaven...

When I first heard the ending to BAI, I literally had to sit back, and just think. I suppose you could compare it to the musical version of catching your breath after full on sprint. Truly remarkable!

Musically,
Ryan

Offline Kurai

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »
This is MY first post again (registered june 2009... I was trying to register now and oddly my e-mail address was in use lol).

Honestly.. I haven't listened to the solo. I started listening to the song, got interrupted, and didn't manage to listen again lol Waiting for the perfect moment.
The whole disc is a masterpiece, THAT I know...

In fact I'd like to repost a thing I said on PetrucciForum a while back, for some reason lol suited for my first post.

I have a thing with Breaking All Illusions. When I was listening to the full album I got interrupted in that song (which I totally loved and made me feel really weird. I had already listened to the snippet so it was a little digested) and I stopped and didn't listen to it any more... I have a problem that I need to be comfortable and it needs to be really special to listen to that song. THAT's how much I loved it.

Some time ago I listened to the first 15 sec of Breaking All Illusions again, I got so pumped, full of energy and I felt like I NEEDED to listen to that masterpiece, though I didn't. Playing the intro in my head after a short while I was trying really hard to keep tears from falling. That's definitely a very beautiful song, that plus the need to listen to it drove me to that. Right now when I think of the intro it's almost the same reaction, it's really REALLY beautiful, sweet freaking lovely. I need to realize that the song is what will make the moment special and listen to it already! I will in a while....

As for now... Outcry is FUCKING AMAZING. What a great song, AWESOME riffs, catching melodies. At the 3 min mark LaBrie sounds amazing, I haven't liked him this much since certain parts of SFAM and Awake. And at 8.40 when the madness stops, that's one of the most beautiful passages I've ever heard. The bass is really glowing there, and the piano melody is really sweet. The drums hit the right stuff at the right time and LaBrie comes in great shape right after it. It's great.
After that I really liked Bridges in the Sky.

As for the pervious ones, I don't know if they don't interest me or I haven't listened to them enough. Lost Not Forgotten is kinda cool, but to me... I see it grey, while I see the following songs shining in colors (I picture colors for some reason. Bridges in the Sky sound sky-blue and kinda yellow at some parts to me, it goes to white as well. This Is The Life is red/orange, Outcry varies a lot, lots of dark greens and violets. Breaking All Illusions ranges from skyblue and blue to light greens and bright red lights. Yeah I'm crazy). Oh yeah the sick part at 1.50 is a blast of dark colors. But I don't know I don't really love that song or anything. This Is The Life I haven't listened to much.

After saying that... I can't wait to finish listening to the album. I want to hear that so well complimented JP solo!

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:57:48 PM »
This ties Outcry as My favorite ADTOE song without a doubt. It has this old school DT feel!

The more I listen to this album the more I like it! I didn't get this feeling with BCASL.

Offline autumn13

• Dance with Fire,Spirit Guide...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
I love the part where JP sounds like Neal Schon for a few bars.Perfect phrasing for the song. :tup

Offline Diffidentia

• Almighty Snowman
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:03:54 PM »
It's like, remember when you first heard Dream Theater? Those feelings are all coming back with each listen to ADTOE...and like 1neeto pointed out, those feelings were not there when I was listening to BCASL. I'm glad they are back!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »
I really like the song musically. However I wish Myung would have written all of the lyrics, as of now I have no idea what the song is about.

It starts off seeming like it's a struggle of faith as we are constantly learning more about the universe, then it just jumps into JPs generic "Life is what you make of it pal!" style lyrics.

The hell?
fanticide.bandcamp.com