Author Topic: Vacant Appreciation Thread  (Read 3768 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Vacant Appreciation Thread
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
Just listened to this a few moments ago. My god, it's beautiful. It could be a possible top 10 for me. My favorite from TOT, easily!

Offline JPX

Re: Vacant Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:43:57 PM »
 ???

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »
What?

Offline JPX

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »
Each to their own, but if you think Vacant is better than anything on Train of Thought then why do you even like Dream Theater?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
Is there something wrong about liking a soft DT song?

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
Each to their own, but if you think Vacant is better than anything on Train of Thought then why do you even like Dream Theater?
Probably because he likes the mellow aspect of them?

Offline JPX

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 08:56:16 PM »

But that's like 5% of their sound. It's cool if you like that vibe but you don't get it very often with DT.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 08:58:25 PM »
I love this track. Probably tied with Wait For Sleep as my favorite soft track.

It's funny, I always pictured Vacant as the singer saying goodbye to someone's who's just been fatally wounded and then Stream Of Consciousness being the ass-kicking the murderer is receiving from the singer.  :metal I know that wasn't the intended meaning at all, but I just like thinking about it like that.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »

But that's like 5% of their sound. It's cool if you like that vibe but you don't get it very often with DT.

But when you do, it's absolutely amazing.

I love this track. Probably tied with Wait For Sleep as my favorite soft track.

It's funny, I always pictured Vacant as the singer saying goodbye to someone's who's just been fatally wounded and then Stream Of Consciousness being the ass-kicking the murderer is receiving from the singer.  :metal I know that wasn't the intended meaning at all, but I just like thinking about it like that.

that's an interesting view. I like it.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »

I suppose that's true, but I like certain bands for just one or two songs they have that don't sound like the others

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »
Outstanding:

Vacant

Amazing:

In The Name Of God
This Dying Soul

Good:

Honor Thy Father
Endless Sacrifice
Stream of Consciousness

Okay:

As I Am

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »
You've inspired me to give the song a spin.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »

good!  :tup

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »

good!  :tup

Vacant-->ITNOG is really the best string of songs on the album... SoC playing right now.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:13:36 PM by Priest of Syrinx »
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
Outstanding:

Vacant

Amazing:

In The Name Of God
This Dying Soul

Good:

Honor Thy Father
Endless Sacrifice
Stream of Consciousness

Okay:

As I Am

Wow when it comes to TOT I'm kinda backwards from you.

Outstanding:
Stream of Conciousness

Amazing:

As I am
This Dying Soul

Good:
Endless Sacrifice
ITNOG
Honor Thy Father (the rapping part sucks but the song structure is great)

Ok:
Vacant. But it's a good buildup to SOC.

Why I'm not that big fan of vacant? Because DT has way better ballads.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »

Because it's a concise and highly emotional ballad that shows that DT don't have to be shredding at 200bpm to write an amazing song? And then we have the rest of the album to prove that they can write an amazing song at 200bpm. It's a win win!

I think Vacant is very underrated, partly because of the album it's on and it's place sandwiched between big long heavy tracks. It's easily one of their most emotional ballads. JLB's vocals are beautiful, and the tone of the keyboard and cello are so dark, and the chord progression and melodies are haunting.

I don't listen to it anywhere near as much as I should. One of DT's best ballads. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 11:05:03 PM »

You are weird.

Offline Chimpi

• DTF.org Alumni
  • JustinSane
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 11:23:12 PM »

Because it's a concise and highly emotional ballad that shows that DT don't have to be shredding at 200bpm to write an amazing song? And then we have the rest of the album to prove that they can write an amazing song at 200bpm. It's a win win!

I think Vacant is very underrated, partly because of the album it's on and it's place sandwiched between big long heavy tracks. It's easily one of their most emotional ballads. JLB's vocals are beautiful, and the tone of the keyboard and cello are so dark, and the chord progression and melodies are haunting.

I don't listen to it anywhere near as much as I should. One of DT's best ballads. :tup

Pretty much this.  And I can't listen to it without the inclusion of Stream Of Consciousness - the combination of the two being among my all-time favorite Dream Theater pieces.

The emotion leaking from Vacant is insane.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 03:10:14 AM »
I've always loved Vacant and it comes at the perfect spot on TOT. Your going like a 100mph for most of the album and Vacant feels like a natural point to catch your breath. It also perfectly sets the mood for Stream of Consciousness and blends very well. Not to mention its emotional resonance.

Offline Zukuduku

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 05:16:40 AM »
This song is pretty much the biggest reason of me becoming a huge JR fanboy. The chord progression is just absolutely beautiful. Octavarium and intro of TBOT are the only ones that can rival the beauty of this song (I have not yet included the ADTOE songs).

If you only know the basics of piano playing and have access to a piano, try to play it to hear it yourself! The sheets are available either in the TOT guitar tab book or in Keyboard Anthology, IIRC.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 05:44:22 AM »
I do love this song, its beautiful and all... but it just doesn't have a lot going on in it. still, a great song.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 05:51:35 AM »
One of my all-time DT favourites. I absolutely love the calm DT songs, they don't do many of them, but all of them are incredibly powerful. Vacant is so minimalistic, yet every note is extremely important and very powerful.

Also, this song shows one reason why James is one of my favourite vocalists ever. For the second reason, listen to "Heretic" part of ITPOE Pt. 2.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
Probably one of the best TOT songs... definately signals the start of the stronger half of Train of Thought.

I also want to give major props to the Score version of this song. It absolutely exudes emotion and I think it's one of the most moving performances I've ever heard from James. Everything from his voice to the look in his face, it's just perfect.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
Second best in ToT after ITNOG for me. I absolutely love this song.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
Probably one of the best TOT songs... definately signals the start of the stronger half of Train of Thought.

I also want to give major props to the Score version of this song. It absolutely exudes emotion and I think it's one of the most moving performances I've ever heard from James. Everything from his voice to the look in his face, it's just perfect.
I admit I'm not a great fan of the Score version because I think the whole orchestra is overkill. The whole strength of the song is minimalism, and that gives a bit of an opposite effect.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
It's right up there with In the Name of God and As I Am, all fantastic tracks and the best on Train of Thought.  Possibly their best song on the softer side of things.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 01:10:01 PM »
I'm with FlyingBizkit. Its an excellent song that complements the lyrics. About possibly losing a loved one, then SoC comes in and that is like the person in the coma.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD