Author Topic: Andy Wallace. Would You Welcome Him Back to Mix DT 12?  (Read 5172 times)

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
Re: Andy Wallace. Would You Welcome Him Back to Mix DT 12?
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
The mix is great. I would love it for him to do it again.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
Prater for DT12 IMO

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »
I prefer Andy Wallace's mix overall to Northfield. Northfield wasn't bad, but he didn't handle the bass guitar's full register very well, so even when JM was cranked he would disappear in the upper range.

I still don't think ADTOE has the greatest mix or production though. It doesn't have any character to me. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it just makes it a bit plain, and I like DT to have more.

I would love to hear Kevin Shirley mix a new DT album. He handled all of DT's best and most distinctive sounding albums. He has been a bit too guitar heavy and keyboard light in the past, although I think that may have had as much to do with MP as anything else. But I want another DT album that sounds as good as SDOIT.

Kevin Shirley... works for me!  :tup

I'll throw another Rush-related name out there: Terry Brown, as the producer.  Not that that would ever happen, of course...

After the last Maiden album and the new Mr Big I don't want him anywhere neear DT again, just in case it's infectious. FII sounds good though to be fair.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »
i find the mix on this new album to be too thin.  it's got no balls.  the first time i heard these new incredible riffs, i found myself thinking, "oh - that's all they're giving me on this album?"  just to make sure i wasn't crazy, i went back and checked out this dying soul on train of thought and the glass prison on 6 degrees.  there's definitely more deep end in the guitar crunch and the bass drum.  ya know - balls.
JP uses seven strings on those two songs as well as BITS and Outcry on the new album. There's where your "balls" come in.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »
I prefer Andy Wallace's mix overall to Northfield. Northfield wasn't bad, but he didn't handle the bass guitar's full register very well, so even when JM was cranked he would disappear in the upper range.

I still don't think ADTOE has the greatest mix or production though. It doesn't have any character to me. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it just makes it a bit plain, and I like DT to have more.

I would love to hear Kevin Shirley mix a new DT album. He handled all of DT's best and most distinctive sounding albums. He has been a bit too guitar heavy and keyboard light in the past, although I think that may have had as much to do with MP as anything else. But I want another DT album that sounds as good as SDOIT.

Kevin Shirley... works for me!  :tup

I'll throw another Rush-related name out there: Terry Brown, as the producer.  Not that that would ever happen, of course...

After the last Maiden album and the new Mr Big I don't want him anywhere neear DT again, just in case it's infectious. FII sounds good though to be fair.

I haven't heard either album... that bad, eh?
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »
Yes, make the drums a bit more up front.

Only if he promises a ball hair more on the drums
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Cranky

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »
Yes, for sure..
I just ask that he turn the drum mix up a bit.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »
Definitely.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »
Hell ya id welcome him..kinda with the peeps who say drums could be just a touch more prominent but love it.

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 04:15:01 AM »
mixing is only one aspect...in this case done quite well, but as I wrote in this thread , I'm not that awed by resultant SOUND (including mixing, mastering, etc...). Sometimes is so flat and dry...

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 06:04:32 AM »
I want Wallace again, but the drums could be louder sometimes ;)