18 (34%)
The Odyssey
13 (24.5%)
Paradise Lost
3 (5.7%)
Iconoclast
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: The best Symphony X album?  (Read 9051 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
The best Symphony X album?
« on: September 19, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
Just a fun quickie poll to settle what DTF thinks is the best Symphony X album.   

I'm going with V.

Feel free to debate/discuss.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jsem

Re: The best Symphony X album?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
V. Most consistency, not a single bad song on it. And also, the flow. And the epicness that is Communion and the Oracle.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »
Inb4 none of them.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:30:42 PM »
There isn't a choice for "a tie between Divine Wings and V!"  :biggrin:

If pressed, V. It's just a bit more consistent than Divine Wings, but I love them both so.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
For the record, the title track of TDWOT is the only thing I even remotely care for with this band, so I voted that.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
This band needs to go back to neo-classical stuff.. and prog.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
This band needs to go back to neo-classical stuff.. and prog.

So they can become yet another band who makes the same album again, and again, and again?

They're a metal band now. One day they will return to their roots. Or perhaps not. Good bands learn to adjust.

PL and Iconoclast are brilliant albums.

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline jsem

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »
lolno

opinions opinons. Imo some of the best SX songs are songs like The Relic and Masquerade (the bonus on Odyssey version)... that's what SX should be all about.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »
Divine Wings

Front-to-back it just doesn't miss. 1-3 are awesome and energetic: Of Sins and Shadows is one of the best openers I've heard by any band ever and Sea of Lies keeps the energy level high and has that sensational guitar/keyboard unison then harmony (2:34). Out of the Ashes isn't as impressive up against the excellence of the first two tracks but would be a standout on most other SX albums.

Accolade is brilliant; a veritable template for the proper way to execute an epic. Long but compelling intro, very nice verses that balance heavy and mellow in a masterful way rarely seen. The pinnacle of this track, no doubt, is also Michael Pinnella's finest moment in any SX song bar none: the one-by-one adding of one riff, then another...aaaaannnd another until we have four totally unrelated keyboard riffs that create this fantastic layer of sound without anything disagreeing with anything else and then we also get the guitar and bass playing two more different parts that add nicely without messing anything up for a grand total of six different melodies, all different from each other, yet working together seamlessly. Sheerly amazing.

Pharaoh and Medusa's Eyes aren't spectacular at all but for being two of the weaker tracks (compared to the rest of the album anyway) they still are completely enjoyable and never make me wanna skip through. The Witching Hour picks back up with the same energy seen in the first three tracks and has a very good solo section.

The Divine Wings of Tragedy has been my alltime favorite epic since first hearing it in 2000 and I hope it'll change (since that would mean I'd get to hear something even better) but as of now it's holding that title pretty firmly. The song has it all: well developed melodies and reprises, dynamics to kill, tastefully virtuosic solos, numerous smoothly-transitioned mood shifts. It's as close as I've heard a song come to being perfect. If you've never heard this song I'll warn you there is a 1:42 intro of choir-type vocal only stuff going on that may steer you away so just skip it if you must and here's a link for the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pJa0flBo0

Finally we have Candlelight Fantasia, a beautifully somber ballad that is a true moment of showing Russell Allen in his strongest element: emotionally-driven, melodic bliss without forcing the issue.

lolno

opinions opinons. Imo some of the best SX songs are songs like The Relic and Masquerade (the bonus on Odyssey version)... that's what SX should be all about.

This all the way. The only people who seem to rave about the PL and Iconoclast are the ones whom have only been on board since those and never bothered delving into the older stuff. The last two albums have their moments but PL gets very boring very quickly.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jsem

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
Dude, the Bach-mass inspired choir opening is one the most badass intros ever. They never do it live though :( :P

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
Dude, the Bach-mass inspired choir opening is one the most badass intros ever. They never do it live though :( :P

It ain't bad and I do enjoy it most of the time it's just that cheesy broccoli is yummy and all but if it's served right before a juicy medium-rare ribeye you're gonna wanna get to that steak ASAP.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
The Odyssey

Then V.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
V>Odyssey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Others.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
After the debut, they are all amazing.  Went with Odyssey just because the title track is mind boggling good.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
Gotta go with V

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
Paradise Lost, definitely.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 05:09:29 PM »
The only people who seem to rave about the PL and Iconoclast are the ones whom have only been on board since those and never bothered delving into the older stuff. The last two albums have their moments but PL gets very boring very quickly.

You're wrong. I've been a fan for more than just a few years.

I started with The Odyssey, about 8 or 9 years ago. Then I moved onto V, TDWOT and TIO. Then TDG. And I loved all of their stuff, especially the ballads.

Then I realised they were moving on, towards metal and not prog. And they were great at that, as well.

I'd rate PL and Iconoclast about equal. Both have more than just moments, they both hold up well together. They might sound 'the same' because the band have changed their sound. But in actual fact, they are making music they enjoy, and still give us flashes like the songs PL and WAIL. Some of their best songs.

Sometimes I think this forum just hates any band that doesn't stick to their roots. Maybe that has something to do with it being a Dream Theater Forum. Maybe not, though. I have friends who have also listened to SX for years, and neither of them long for the old days. Good bands go through stages. Look at Opeth and PoS. Again, more crisitism. Mostly undeserved.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
The only people who seem to rave about the PL and Iconoclast are the ones whom have only been on board since those and never bothered delving into the older stuff. The last two albums have their moments but PL gets very boring very quickly.

Sometimes I think this forum just hates any band that doesn't stick to their roots.

I thought it was the other way around. Always complaining that bands never progress.

I read comments on the SX forum, and for some reason there's a vast amount of DT hate over there. Comments bashing the new album, and saying it's just DT sounding like DT. When people make those remarks, I always want to ask, "well what do you want them to sound like?" They complain that there's too much wankery, and that they're just showing off. It seems that the people making those complaints must want DT to make some pretty boring music.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 05:56:53 PM »
I never understand what's so horrendous about an artist actually displaying their instrumental talent.   :\

It's like viewed as some sort of cardinal sin by some people or something.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »

You're wrong. I've been a fan for more than just a few years.

I started with The Odyssey, about 8 or 9 years ago. Then I moved onto V, TDWOT and TIO. Then TDG. And I loved all of their stuff, especially the ballads.

Then I realised they were moving on, towards metal and not prog. And they were great at that, as well.

I'd rate PL and Iconoclast about equal. Both have more than just moments, they both hold up well together. They might sound 'the same' because the band have changed their sound. But in actual fact, they are making music they enjoy, and still give us flashes like the songs PL and WAIL. Some of their best songs.

Sometimes I think this forum just hates any band that doesn't stick to their roots. Maybe that has something to do with it being a Dream Theater Forum. Maybe not, though. I have friends who have also listened to SX for years, and neither of them long for the old days. Good bands go through stages. Look at Opeth and PoS. Again, more crisitism. Mostly undeserved.

I worded it shittily but I meant to imply that the majority of folks I've seen liking the two newest albums better than the ones before them are fans whom have only been SX fans since PL's release. I wasn't attempting to call you a n00b and sorry if it came off like that.

I'm all for bands getting more metal since the lion's share of my most enjoyed bands are of the heavier side like Arch Enemy, Nevermore, Death, Opeth, Byzantine, and many more at that level of agression. My main issue is that SX seems to write material of a lesser (but still good) level of quality when they let the heaviness work its way closer to the foreground.

Maybe Iconoclast will grow on me. The opener was very good but I had trouble finding many other parts to latch onto. Generally if a song has one really awesome riff in it I can have it begin growing on me but the last two albums just seem very diluted and forced to me. The track Paradise lost has a good chorus though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »
Gotta go with The Odyssey.  But all albums are fucking great.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »
Which troll voted for the debut?  :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »
Which troll voted for the debut?  :facepalm:

Not me but it's an awesome album that levels PL in my opinion. Too many haters use Rod Tyler as an excuse to write off a fantastic album that has Raging Season, Absinthe and Rue, Masquerade, and A Lesson Before Dying. On a forum for a band with a singer as polarizing as James Labrie I find it hypocritical that this kind of lead singer scapegoating is so prevalent.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »
Divine Wings - Every song is a memorable one. V is a close second, though I remember it took me a few listens to start getting into it.
Odyssey is a close third. I think it's pretty underrated. I know everybody loves the title track, and yes, it's one of their greatest pieces ever, but it's another album where I love every song, even one's not mentioned much like Incantations of the Apprentice, and The Turning. Awesome songs.
Love PL as well, and I think it's light years better than Iconoclast - an album I was actually somewhat disappointed with, aside from the title track and a few other moments.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »

Sometimes I think this forum just hates any band that doesn't stick to their roots.

I thought it was the other way around. Always complaining that bands never progress.

I read comments on the SX forum, and for some reason there's a vast amount of DT hate over there. Comments bashing the new album, and saying it's just DT sounding like DT. When people make those remarks, I always want to ask, "well what do you want them to sound like?" They complain that there's too much wankery, and that they're just showing off. It seems that the people making those complaints must want DT to make some pretty boring music.

Yeah, that view never sat well with me. Everybody in modern prog/power metal music shows off to varying degrees. It's metal, there's a lot of shredding. What a surprise.

I have a friend who basically hates DT, accuses them of mindless wankery, etc., but she loves SX and scores of other power metal bands that shred just as much. I understand DT can be explicitly technical  quite often but it's a stupid caricature that really annoys me.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 12:28:16 AM »
The Odyssey for me

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 12:59:34 AM »
Tough choice but I went with Divine Wings.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 08:27:45 AM »

Yeah, I've lurked the SX forums and noticed there's a contingent that goes out of their way to stomp on DT.  Almost to the point where you suspect that they have a complex about it, like the little brother always feeling the need to keep up with big brother. 

Anyhow, it is interesting how SX's career path somewhat mirrors that of DT, whereby TDWOT, V and Odyssey is the triumvirate that equates to DT's I&W, Awake and SFAM.  And how you have fans of both bands pining for those days when the two bands were more "prog" and less "metal".  PL would probably be that "metal" turning point for SX fans that TOT was for DT. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
The Odyssey, easily.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mladen

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 12:53:52 PM »
I'm in the minority, but Twilight in Olympus.

So well balanced, with a cool flow due to being a shorter record. And every song is golden.  :metal

Offline InertSolo

• Images and Turds
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »
Divine Wings by far for me, I enjoy most of their stuff though.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »
V, then Divine Wings, then The Odyssey.  Those three are very close, though.  I thought Paradise Lost sucked; haven't gotten around to Iconoclast yet.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 02:15:14 PM »
My problem with deciding this is that I prefer the sound and style of their new albums - it's still cheesy but more tasteful and it seems their orchestra sounds have a decent budget now, but the older song writing is stronger and less samey.

So really, a merge of old and new would be ideal.

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
V>Everything else

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »
lolno

Fuck ya jsem im with ya.....I do like all their stuff but would love to hear more of this type of material, their metal style (while fine and good) is getting old quick.