Author Topic: MP has filed a lawsuit against Dream Theater  (Read 102925 times)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MP has filed a lawsuit against Dream Theater
« Reply #280 on: September 19, 2011, 04:24:37 PM »
bosk, I made a tad too much lasagna, and it's just gonna go to waste. Why don't you come over, I've got some wine, we'll put on an LP, you'll eat this delicious lasagna (sprinkled feta on top, it's amazing) and we'll discuss these past few years. It's been -- well, polarizing.

I even have a sealed box of Cohiba Behike BHK 52. It's been awhile.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
Is Wey the guy who posts here under admin to scare us every now and then? Pretty decent the way he decided to quit and what he posted.

I would respond, but I'm afraid anything I post might be construed as disrespecting Egypt.  :walklikeanegyptian:

I vote funniest smiley ever. This is the second time you post it today and it's the second time I actually laugh loud at work :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
Now everybody over on his forum is like: We knew there was another side! We got your back.

It's kinda scary how they go back to status quo. I'm not trying to to troll. I'm serious, it's like a cult.

Forum: "OH MY GOD MP THERE IS ALL THIS BAD EVIDENCE AND YOU SUED DT, WE HATE YOU MASSIVELY, WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY FOR YOURSELF?"
MP: "I'm happy, lol"
Forum: "Oh... okay"

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #283 on: September 19, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »
 :-*

haha! would be better like "leaves band. sues them"

Offline ivorydroid

« Reply #284 on: September 19, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
Now everybody over on his forum is like: We knew there was another side! We got your back.

It's kinda scary how they go back to status quo. I'm not trying to to troll. I'm serious, it's like a cult.

what did you expect? it's a fan forum... it's filled with... well, fanboys

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #285 on: September 19, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »

I literally spit up my water when I saw this. :rollin :heart
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: September 19, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »
Needs the douchebag hat for maximum meme reference appeal.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2011, 04:28:22 PM »
DO IT! true scumbag steve style

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #289 on: September 19, 2011, 04:29:06 PM »
Heh Charlie Dominici posted on MPs Facebook wall

"Just like in a divorce,everyone has a right to be treated fairly. Sometimes those rights have to be exercised in a legal forum.I hope you all can put it to rest and move on without any animosity. Life is short! \m/"

Offline Deadpool

• Formerly CountVoorhees
  • KrotchRaut Rules!
« Reply #290 on: September 19, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
I guess this really has been a dramatic turn of events. Mike Portnoy is really breaking all remaining illusions of respect that anyone really had for him anymore. At first I didn't think there was that much beneath the surface of the lawsuit besides spite, but now I think it's really an outcry to be back in the band. But with the lawsuit he's really burning all the bridges in the sky. Mike left the band and this is the life that he chose. It's his fault he's so far from the heaven that DT is to him. But we all just have to keep in mind that the good, ol' Mike Portnoy era of DT is lost, not forgotten. MP needs to focus on building himself up again without breaking DT down in the process. 

On The Backs Of Angels is a pretty good song too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:35:22 PM by Deadpool »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: September 19, 2011, 04:30:14 PM »

"Just like in a divorce,everyone has a right to be treated fairly. Sometimes those rights have to be exercised in a legal forum.I hope you all can put it to rest and move on without any animosity. Life is short! \m/"

Maybe DS and KM will be next!!  well....maybe not KM..... ;D

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #292 on: September 19, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »
Welp, if he LEGALLY can't say anything.. That means his lawsuit is still in effect, and just as I had suspected, everyone is under a gag order. Neat.

Not necessarily.  Settlements often have a confidentiality clause that prevents the parties from discussing the lawsuit even after it is over.  And even if there is no such thing here, his lawyer likely advised him not to publicly discuss it anyway.  We just don't know.

True, but there is also a strong likelihood that the lawsuit is ongoing. There's only one documented file date for anything regarding this case. I would figure it is fairly likely that some form of hearing has been set or that the summons was pushed off by the DT/RR lawyers due to touring and prior commitments. I don't get the feeling that the band is very complicit in MP's demands either... But all speculation! As you say, we do not know. But likelihood doesn't point to this being over.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #293 on: September 19, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »
Welp, if he LEGALLY can't say anything.. That means his lawsuit is still in effect, and just as I had suspected, everyone is under a gag order. Neat.

Not necessarily.  Settlements often have a confidentiality clause that prevents the parties from discussing the lawsuit even after it is over.  And even if there is no such thing here, his lawyer likely advised him not to publicly discuss it anyway.  We just don't know.

That's true, but you could still say "it's over" if it were. I'm sure he was just advised as you said. Let's put it this way, every time he opens his mouth it just goes down a notch. He's like Obama discussing the economy.

No need to bring politics into this.  We already have one shitstorm, let's not create another one.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #294 on: September 19, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
Hypocrite. How could you be so cruel, and expect my faith in return?

In all seriousness, this has saddened me. MP the person is completely out of view for me now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #295 on: September 19, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »

That's really something I never thought I'd see, Charlie Dominici commenting on MP, who quit and sued Dream Theater.

This is weird.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #296 on: September 19, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »

Just when I thought I believed you...

What are you doing?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #297 on: September 19, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »

Yeah but it can't possibly still be in effect now that it's been publicized by Blabbermouth.

Sure it can.  And Blabbermouth didn't disclose anything that isn't public record.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »
Blabbermouth. Disclose. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2011, 04:37:18 PM »

:clap: Best quote so far.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »

Yeah but it can't possibly still be in effect now that it's been publicized by Blabbermouth.

Sure it can.  And Blabbermouth didn't disclose anything that isn't public record.

I'm sorry, I'm not a law guy, but how can there been an NDA on something that is public record?

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »
Also they are still not playing songs that MP wrote the lyrics for. That's probably on the advice of their lawyers and is a loss mitigation technique if anything is not ruled in their favor.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »

I'm sorry, I'm not a law guy, but how can there been an NDA on something that is public record?
If it's part of a settlement agreement I'd guess.

Offline weezul

« Reply #303 on: September 19, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »
my head is spinning right now. I've only ever had one photo in one frame for ever in my room ,and its me and MP. Unfortunately, now is the time to take that down, maybe get a little less personal about this shit. Man, what fucking drama. I've had a long ass day working and now I realize just staying on top of this drama is keeping me from sleeping haha, its like crack.
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »
im glad charlie dominici added his 2 cents lul

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #305 on: September 19, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
I posted in a thread earlier today about how despite MP's poor behavior in recent months, I still idolised him as a drummer and to some extent as a person. That is now jeapordised. The guy simply has to let this lie. It's all his own doing. I have no respect for him anymore.

Mike I'llseeyouincourtnoy. I never thought i'd see the day.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
Also they are still not playing songs that MP wrote the lyrics for. That's probably on the advice of their lawyers and is a loss mitigation technique if anything is not ruled in their favor.
They play songs with lyrics penned by Kevin Moore and Charlie Dominici.

im glad charlie dominici added his 2 cents lul
He should write about that in his forum.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2011, 04:44:15 PM »

True, but there is also a strong likelihood that the lawsuit is ongoing. There's only one documented file date for anything regarding this case. I would figure it is fairly likely that some form of hearing has been set or that the summons was pushed off by the DT/RR lawyers due to touring and prior commitments. I don't get the feeling that the band is very complicit in MP's demands either... But all speculation! As you say, we do not know. But likelihood doesn't point to this being over.
If the case were still moving forward, wouldn't the temporary injunction have kicked in? 

Let's also keep in mind that this isn't the first time they've dealt with a departing founding member.  I suspect they probably had their ducks in a row.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »

Offline Naigewron

« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »

That's not what's happened. Most of the members who were up in arms or pissed have said their case and moved on (or been banned, in many cases), leaving the fanboys to their... erm... fanboy-ism.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: September 19, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I guess this really has been a dramatic turn of events. Mike Portnoy is really breaking all remaining illusions of respect that anyone really had for him anymore. At first I didn't think there was that much beneath the surface of the lawsuit besides spite, but now I think it's really an outcry to be back in the band. But with the lawsuit he's really burning all the bridges in the sky. Mike left the band and this is the life that he chose. It's his fault he's so far from the heaven that DT is to him. But we all just have to keep in mind that the good, ol' Mike Portnoy era of DT is lost, not forgotten. MP needs to focus on building himself up again without breaking DT down in the process. 

On The Backs Of Angels is a pretty good song too.

This was actually pretty good.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »
If the case were still moving forward, wouldn't the temporary injunction have kicked in? 

Let's also keep in mind that this isn't the first time they've dealt with a departing founding member.  I suspect they probably had their ducks in a row.
[/quote]

I don't think the injunction would have kicked in if they stayed the summons but idk