Author Topic: MP has filed a lawsuit against Dream Theater  (Read 102945 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: MP has filed a lawsuit against Dream Theater
« Reply #595 on: September 20, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »
Kon, I've just realised you're a woman. Not that it changes anything, but it's nice to have some more girls on a mostly masculine forum! :tup

B.Lee
This didn't strike you as creepy when you wrote it?

Offline emtee

« Reply #596 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
Yesterday was s huge rollercoaster ride. Now today after seeing it all in the rear view mirror and questioning what
really happened with Wey, I still don't know who the real Mike Portnoy is. Is he the arrogant, self absorbed, spotlight
seeking guy that so many people have said in years past and that I loyally defended against, or is he a stand up
guy that is being attacked? I really don't know any more.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #597 on: September 20, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
I'm guessing the going price of my copy of A Dramatic Turn of Events signed by Portnoy just skyrocketed. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: September 20, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
Yesterday was s huge rollercoaster ride. Now today after seeing it all in the rear view mirror and questioning what
really happened with Wey, I still don't know who the real Mike Portnoy is. Is he the arrogant, self absorbed, spotlight
seeking guy that so many people have said in years past and that I loyally defended against, or is he a stand up

A little of both, I'd think.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #599 on: September 20, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »

He's a person, and none of us are perfect.  The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: September 20, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »
I'm guessing the going price of my copy of A Dramatic Turn of Events signed by Portnoy just skyrocketed.

I demand to know the full story behind this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #601 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
That's been the biggest disappointment ever since the first wave of fans (according to him) "turning on him" when he got called out on being disrespectful to James LaBrie and apologized not for "being wrong" but for "the fans being upset" or something like that. He really seems to be ducking out of being responsible for his words or actions in any way. As plenty of people have pointed out over the past year, he wrote out the whole 12 Step Suite but you've got to wonder if he really learned anything from it or whether it was really just more chest-pounding.

In the same vein, I always wondered from day 1 how fair HTF was to the real situation with his stepfather. All we saw was his version, and as usual there was not an ounce of remorse to be found in the lyrics.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #602 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »

I demand to know the full story behind this.

LoL, did he know what he was signing?  :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #603 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:07 AM »

In the same vein, I always wondered from day 1 how fair HTF was to the real situation with his stepfather. All we saw was his version, and as usual there was not an ounce of remorse to be found in the lyrics.

What are you saying?  That Mike Portnoy has become the rotted root in the Dream Theater family tree? ;) :P

"Never in my life have I seen someone so blind to the damage he has done."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #604 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:14 AM »
BTW, what did Wey say? Is that still on MP.com? Or was that "cleansed" too?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #606 on: September 20, 2011, 09:24:25 AM »

rumborak

Can't be bothered digging back, but everything that was said is in this thread somewhere. The key word being "somewhere".
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #607 on: September 20, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
I've thought a lot about the TSS in the past year and after all that's happened, it has little to no meaning for me whatsoever.  However, the music is great no doubt about that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #608 on: September 20, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »

rumborak

I did it for you because I'm bored...

From Wey at MP.com forums

Quote from: Weymolith

I can no longer be a party to cleaning up these messes. After working for Mike for peanuts and perks for 11 and a half years, Todays revealing by Blabbermouth is pretty much the final straw. I feel that I have been lied to after doing all that I can to keep this site peaceful, free of the bullshit drama and going to bat for MP and defending him to the point where I feel sometimes that I am the most hated person in the Dream Theater community. I can no longer feel that my integrity and morals are not compromised.

Those of you that want or need to get ahold of me, know how to find me. If not, a simple check of Google will provide you with 5 other emails you can use to contact me. I'll check in every now and again, but at this time, my post will probably be removed and my IP address banned.

Quote from: Weymolith
After reading the threads that have been posted since earlier today when I resigned my position as moderator here, and seeing the direction things are going, I need to clear this up before it gets more out of hand than it already is.

Mike has known me now for the better part of 11 years, and during that time, he's come to value my opinion on matters regarding the rules of this site and how they are enforced. We have a trust in place.  In that regard, he also knows like many of you, that I have a low tolerance for bullshit, and I hate being lied to.

So today when I saw the Blabbermouth article and the PDF regarding the lawsuit, I like many of you, jumped to a concussion that the entire truth was blurred. As Mike trusts me, I trust him as well and trust that he would not lie to me about things. Especially when those things usually involve me sitting in front of the computer for endless hours every day trying to keep his internet home free of messes and negativity every time he posts, says something in an interview, or tweets.

Now, while some of you may think I have the "inside scoop" on everything going on between DT and MP, that is the farthest thing from the truth. Yes, I work(ed) for MP, and yes I am also an employee of Dream Theater as a contracted internet consultant and manager of a few of their internet properties. However, in regards to all the legal actions taking place, neither party has been at liberty to discuss anything involved in the case with me as I am not directly involved and honestly I won't impose on friendships to ask. I, like you all, only know of rumors and speculations and what has been whispered in dark corners of the internet.

Now, being that I am (was) the one responsible for having to spend my time cleaning up the mess, you can understand my displeasure at the revealing of the information that came to light today and the ensuing mess that is still continuing. I also felt that the faith I had in MP to be as truthful with the fans as he has always been in the past wasn't as concrete as I had envisioned.

I only do (did) this job for as long as I did because I respected MP as both a person and a friend. Over the years I have seen him do countless selfless things for his fans. One thing in particular always comes to mind, he spent hours digging through his basement one night to find an original 1996 ACOS Home For The Holidaze shirt for a fan who had been wearing one the night of The Station fire and had had to have the shirt surgically removed from his skin. So you can imagine my feelings of betrayal when I saw this lawsuit information and jumped to the conclusion that Mike had been lying to all of us fans for the last 6 months. I don't like liars, I don't like feeling stabbed in the back as either a friend or a fan, and that is how I felt, plain and simple.

I went so far as lashing out and being quite snarky to Mike in my resignation letter. So much so that I got a call from Marlene after he sent it to her.

Now Marlene can't go into details about the lawsuit, I respect that. That is something that could cost her and Mike hundreds of thousands of dollars and a lawsuit. As a friend, I do not want to see that happen. I have a lot of trust in Marlene, and when she tells me that I'm wrong about judging Mike this way, I can tell from the sincerity in her voice that she's not just standing up for Mike but that she's being honest. I have to admit I was wrong in my feelings that Mike had betrayed my trust and the trust of the fans. My quitting was not intended to do further damage to Mike, and sadly, that is how most of you have taken it as I was rather blunt with my wording. Those of you who know me well know that that is how I am. I don't pull punches, but I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I was wrong (DebraKadaba is currently calling the Guiness Book Of World Records to get them to put it in writing.)

We will never know the full details of the lawsuit, we aren't entitled to know. Mike doesn't deserve the crap he gets around the internet. I know, I clean the majority of it up here and see it everywhere else. He's a good guy, and a great friend, and any single one of you, having the feeling that a friend lied to you would not sit well. That is where I was coming from with my resignation. That thread was closed and I understand why. It was doing more damage to Mike than the actual Blabbermouth article. But in hindsight and after talking to Marlene, I was wrong in my judgement of the situation, and not knowing the facts, did what the rest of you are currently doing.

Let's put an end to this for all parties involved. No one, not Mike, not Dream Theater, is benefiting from it.

Look, I know you post here, but I'm sorry.  I can't get on board with any of this.

Maybe there's a secret side to the story I still don't know about, which is always possible.  Maybe the members of DT are in fact enormous assholes and are threatening a disproportionately reactive counter-suit.  If MP is to be believed (if that's even possible), DT lawyered up before he did.  The whole story has yet to be told (although I have to believe Rich Wilson is going bonkers).

But if what we know about the situation is accurate, I don't know what you're seeing that I'm not.  I can read a court document.  Mike Portnoy sued DT to gain control over their name.  In no way can I respect this.  He flat out said it wasn't happening when it was.  He tried to make it look like DT was blowing him off when he's the one that filed a lawsuit.  At some point, no matter what anyone says, actions speak far louder than words, and MP's actions are especially clear.

I know MP is your friend.  I know that, like all people, MP thinks he's the good guy.  I thought the ACOS tour story was very touching.  But as someone who can affirmatively say I used to be a fan, I think MP needs to get his fucking act together. 

You mentioned, in his defense, that his family was in danger of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars?  What about MP trying to destroy DT's career?  What fact we aren't aware of makes his case even remotely sympathetic?

Offline emtee

« Reply #609 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
So yesterday he said he couldn't comment on anything because of pending legal issues and today he had
his lawyer contact B-mouth to say there is no pending lawsuit. WTF. I'm more confused than ever. If there
was no pending lawsuit he could hav spilled his guts yesterday. Marlene wouldn't have needed to call Wey
and rope him into apologizing. A big WTF.

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #610 on: September 20, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
Petrucci and Mangini are of Italian background right?

I'm sure this can be settled "out of court".

Oh, god, post of the year right here.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #611 on: September 20, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »
So yesterday he said he couldn't comment on anything because of pending legal issues and today he had
his lawyer contact B-mouth to say there is no pending lawsuit. WTF. I'm more confused than ever. If there
was no pending lawsuit he could hav spilled his guts yesterday. Marlene wouldn't have needed to call Wey
Just because the suit is (may be) over, doesn't mean he can talk about it.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #612 on: September 20, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
Just because the suit is (may be) over, doesn't mean he can talk about it.

That doesn't explain how Wey had to be guilt-tripped back into modding the forums over at MP.com. What Marlene told him doesn't tally with there being no impending lawsuit.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #613 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=163514

Take note that it was DT's lawyer that contacted BM not MP's according to the article.  Just in case people miss that part.

:corn :corn

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."