27 (10.1%)
No, Mike Mangini is better for the band
88 (33%)
Maybe just for a reunion night or side project some day
124 (46.4%)
Not with suing the guys
28 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 259

Author Topic: Should Portnoy ever Return?  (Read 14470 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Should Portnoy ever Return?
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
How about some opinions on the poll numbers so far to get back on topic??

I think it was a mixture of several things.

1. The general staleness of the past 4 or so albums that is generally agreed upon by many fans (not including Bosk).
2. The lack of interesting drumming for the past several albums.
3. The general musical direction to sound more modern and less authentic.
4. Portnoys comments since the break up.
5. Mangini being such an amazingly awesome guy.
6. The new DT album being extremely well received with amazing drumming.

If it ain't broke...
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
I feel like we should all be wearing "I survived Chico" tee shirts.

Hurricane Chico?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Adami

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
Yeah he's gone for good, sorry that took a while.

You could have at least taken my suggestion. Especially with this guy.

What was that?

That we should turn certain bans (like that one) into public execution style events.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
I would be up for that, but its 3am and I'd rather get back to sleep now. :p
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline johncal

« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
Yeah, it's weird to think that most of DT's fans wouldn't even care if MP came back.. For the most part, I think it's the way MP has been acting since the break-up that turned most fans off to him coming back into the band.. it's a real shame.  :-[

For me, it's not so much his actions as the revelations that he and the band simply weren't getting on so well anymore. Adding Mangini to the fold seemed to not only re-energize their creativity, but it seemed to re-energize their connection as friends and human beings... and I think that really shows in the music and the live performances thus far.

I agree with everything you said.

Offline johncal

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »
How about some opinions on the poll numbers so far to get back on topic??

I think it was a mixture of several things.

1. The general staleness of the past 4 or so albums that is generally agreed upon by many fans (not including Bosk).
2. The lack of interesting drumming for the past several albums.
3. The general musical direction to sound more modern and less authentic.
4. Portnoys comments since the break up.
5. Mangini being such an amazingly awesome guy.
6. The new DT album being extremely well received with amazing drumming.

If it ain't broke...

I'm surprised nobody's quotes on #2 more. I've noticed MP using the exact same recycled fills for quite a while now. It's not that he couldn't do new and exciting stuff, he was just getting lazy without practicing, etc. I kind of found his lazyness a bit offensive. I mean if you do all you can that's one thing, but when you'rer getting paid to do your best you should at least want to try.

Offline Adami

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
I think the writing/recording at the same time played a hand in it too. Since he would record the drums pretty soon after writing the basic structure, probably not a good amount of time to come up with extremely interesting fills. Meanwhile Mangini got a while to practice the drums to the new album, and it really showed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
I went through and deleted a bunch of the shit in this thread in an attempt to salvage it. Only the insults, so continue with the discussions.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »
Yeah, it's weird to think that most of DT's fans wouldn't even care if MP came back.. For the most part, I think it's the way MP has been acting since the break-up that turned most fans off to him coming back into the band.. it's a real shame.  :-[

Hopefully, time will soften the hard feelings of the fans.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline johncal

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
I went through and deleted a bunch of the shit in this thread in an attempt to salvage it. Only the insults, so continue with the discussions.

I saw that and appreciate it.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »

Thank you! :)
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »

For me, it's not so much his actions as the revelations that he and the band simply weren't getting on so well anymore. Adding Mangini to the fold seemed to not only re-energize their creativity, but it seemed to re-energize their connection as friends and human beings... and I think that really shows in the music and the live performances thus far.

I agree with everything you said.

Yeah, I agree with you all the way, I was just going by what the general consensus was, or at least everything that I have seen the fans say and react. It seems a lot of people really stopped liking MP at the point where he was out of the band, and started making a lot of bad moves and comments.

Offline autumn13

• Dance with Fire,Spirit Guide...
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
That's a BIG HELL NO. :censored

Offline johncal

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
I think the writing/recording at the same time played a hand in it too. Since he would record the drums pretty soon after writing the basic structure, probably not a good amount of time to come up with extremely interesting fills. Meanwhile Mangini got a while to practice the drums to the new album, and it really showed.

Plus Mangini kind of structures his fills around what the guys areplaying, so they're always custom not canned. the only canned ones are the holdover octoban rolls I'm guessing JOP wanted in because MM even does his octoban rolls differently all the time. Watch his solo stuff to see what I mean.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
On topic, really I don't object to Mike Portnoy going back if that is what the rest of the band felt was best. However, seeing the album produced without him, and how well MM seems to mesh with the rest of the band, I feel they will produce material that I prefer with MM on board. Nothing against portnoy, I just think the change is best for DT at the current time.

Offline johncal

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2011, 07:54:12 PM »

Hopefully, time will soften the hard feelings of the fans.

Personally, I don't have hard feelings, I'm just going on hard facts AND Mangini's also just the nicest guy there is. That's what the band deserves.

Offline Adami

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
I just think the change is best for DT at the current time.

So what you're saying is, you think it's time for a.............

........new paradigm shift within the band?

Yeaaaaaaaaa
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »
No. I enjoy seeing how *happy* Mangini is to be in the band.

He's just so grateful for the opportunity.

To take it away from him would be heart-breaking.

Imagine getting invited to join your favourite band and then one album later getting asked to leave.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
I just think the change is best for DT at the current time.

So what you're saying is, you think it's time for a.............

........new paradigm shift within the band?

Yeaaaaaaaaa

CHAAAAAAYYYYYAAAAANGEEEEEEE

Offline johncal

« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
On topic, really I don't object to Mike Portnoy going back if that is what the rest of the band felt was best. However, seeing the album produced without him, and how well MM seems to mesh with the rest of the band, I feel they will produce material that I prefer with MM on board. Nothing against portnoy, I just think the change is best for DT at the current time.

YUP :tup

Offline johncal

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
I noticed 6 people thought MP's the man, but other than Marla (no surprise there) nobody wanted to comment on why he should be back.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »
I noticed 6 people thought MP's the man, but other than Marla (no surprise there) nobody wanted to comment on why he should be back.
Probably because they would immediately be shot down and be called silly.  I'm not one of them, but i can see why they don't post.

Offline DC PHAROAH

• When the world weighs you down, LOOK UP!
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »
The more he opens his mouth, the bigger the explosion that's blowing up that bridge that brings him back to DT. I voted no. He just seems, in all of his interviews, to not be a very classy guy.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
I'm awaiting the answer to this:

How does Mangini's feelings play in all this?  In the hypothetical return of MP, is Mangini leaving voluntarily?

Offline johncal

« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »

How does Mangini's feelings play in all this?  In the hypothetical return of MP, is Mangini leaving voluntarily?

That wasn't even part of the equation in the original question, but it would be real WRONG to let him go. He's in the hardest place a guy could be in. A lot of MP lovers are automatically MM haters. MM is a great guy and at least to me his feelings are very important.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2011, 09:17:54 PM »

That wasn't even part of the equation in the original question, but it would be real WRONG to let him go. He's in the hardest place a guy could be in. A lot of MP lovers are automatically MM haters. MM is a great guy and at least to me his feelings are very important.

Then, my answer is thus: if MM were to leave of his own volition, I have no problem with the possibility of an MP return to see if he can mesh with the band.  But I would in no way want MP to return at MM's expense.

Offline johncal

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:43 PM »
I hear what you're saying, but it's all hypothetical because MM is out of his mind in love with being in dream theater, so he's going nowhere fast and I'd go as far as to say that even if MM left, there'd have to be some serious soul searching before the guys letting MP try again could even happen. I'll bet there's even a lot more negatives there then the guys just would ever share out of respect and past friendship. i also have a very strong feeling about something else. Those DT guys still love MP like a brother, but it doesn't mean you necessarily want your brother to move into your house.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2011, 09:33:42 PM »
I hope it lasts, and I hope the other fellas reciprocate.  This is the best situation MM has been in, musically.  One thing that would be interesting is if MM were to decide he wants out after, say, 3 albums.  Would the rest of DT and MP be able to have chemistry, both musically and operationally?  Would MP be able to accept a band that was fairly balanced in terms of personality and input, and would the other guys not fall into the trap of slowly letting MP handle stuff, like setlists, fan interaction, etc.

Offline johncal

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
I hope it lasts, and I hope the other fellas reciprocate.  This is the best situation MM has been in, musically.  One thing that would be interesting is if MM were to decide he wants out after, say, 3 albums.  Would the rest of DT and MP be able to have chemistry, both musically and operationally?  Would MP be able to accept a band that was fairly balanced in terms of personality and input, and would the other guys not fall into the trap of slowly letting MP handle stuff, like setlists, fan interaction, etc.

It would still turn into a pile of shit. Remember these guys are geniuses. I think they can figure that out.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2011, 10:55:49 PM »
I voted for the third option. I would love to see MP play with these guys again, but right now only in a side project or one off DT show like WDADRU. Really I'd just like the guys to patch things up on a personal level.

But right now, there's no chance he's rejoining DT, and I'm really happy with how things are going with MM, and so is the band. But if something were to ever happen with MM and they need a new drummer, I would like MP to rejoin.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:52:00 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
Dream Theater's moved on. MP's moved on. I don't see how a reunion would be possible or even an ideal move for the band other than the novelty cash it'll rake in; from an artistic standpoint, they have little to gain from DT + MP other than the finalization of the vision of the AA saga.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2011, 12:15:47 AM »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2011, 02:48:51 AM »
I don't know what "should" means in this situation.

He "should" if he and the band agree to it.  That is all.  Everything else is just opinions and have nothing to do with "should".
This completely.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »
He "should" if he and the band agree to it.  That is all.  Everything else is just opinions and have nothing to do with "should".
Good point.