Poll

ADTOE = most tech?

Yes
56 (52.8%)
No
50 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Is ADTOE Dream Theater's most technical album?  (Read 6045 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Is ADTOE Dream Theater's most technical album?
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:32:27 PM »
I certainly think so. Even with 3 ballads its still unbelievably technical. LNF/BITS/Outcry/BAI. all of them are pretty nuts, even for Dream Theater's standards. I just listened through specifically listening to JP's parts and even the rhythm parts are out of control. (Mangini's parts are obviously out of this world)

This is just my opinion, but i was wondering if anyone agrees/disagrees

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Is ADTOE Dream Theater's most technical album?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »
I'd say yes. The instrumental sections are not just entretaining, they are complex as fuck.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:26:18 PM »
It might actually be. Lots of moments where it's really simple, but the complex stuff is just beyond insane.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
I'll give it another shot this week when I get the vinyl. I never really thought complex, but I might think so later.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Knguro

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »
Yes, polyrthyms. Nuff said.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline johncal

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »
Yes, in pure notes per second, this album shits on everything else. TDOE looks like chopstix next to Outcry.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »
Id say its definitely possible.  Im no music know it all or anything, but the complex stuff on this album sounds more complex than some of the stuff on previous albums.  However, this album does have three balads and a straight up single so the complexity isn't in every song, just when its there, its THERE. 

Offline Montsegur97

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
Ya, some of those instrumental passages are beyond ridiculous.  What never ceases to amaze me though, within a couple days of some songs being released, bam, covered on youtube almost flawlessly.  Stuff like this isn't 100% accurate, but it's damn close https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw6ih2GFl-E  I guess that's what practice will do for you... but god damn.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 11:44:34 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not hearing it. Outcry has a long instrumental section, LNF and BITS have their little instrumental bits, and then there's the usual DT stuff here and there. It doesn't sound any more or less complex than any other DT album to me.

And I have a PHD in music so I'm right and you're wrong.

I'd go with SFAM as their most technical.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 12:30:06 AM »
i think TDOE is pretty much the only technical song on sfam. that and the zappa section on BTL are the totally crazy parts of that album. although the end of home does come to mind

im still sticking with ADTOE

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 12:51:39 AM »
i think TDOE is pretty much the only technical song on sfam. that and the zappa section on BTL are the totally crazy parts of that album. although the end of home does come to mind

Yeah, that sounds about right, but I think that's a bit more than ADTOE has. Outcry is the only song I'd call exceptionally technical for DT overall. LNF and BITS no doubt have technical bits thrown in here and there,  but it's more of a sprinkling, and maybe a bit in OTBOA too. Aside from that, there's less focus on the technical, and more on the melodic.
I guess you can say the same for SFAM too. That also has more focus on the melodic/ballad than usual, but it feels more technical to me. Maybe it's because the technical stuff is a lot more upfront. I find the polyrhythms on SFAM are a lot clearer to spot than ADTOE. Maybe it's the low drum mix hiding the complexity.
Maybe ADTOE is more complex than I thought. It just doesn't *sound* as technical. Maybe it's just more subtle about it, and better at hiding it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »
Ya, some of those instrumental passages are beyond ridiculous.  What never ceases to amaze me though, within a couple days of some songs being released, bam, covered on youtube almost flawlessly.  Stuff like this isn't 100% accurate, but it's damn close https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw6ih2GFl-E  I guess that's what practice will do for you... but god damn.

Geez...I just...uh...  :omg:

Offline darkshade

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 03:09:19 AM »

Yeah, that sounds about right, but I think that's a bit more than ADTOE has. Outcry is the only song I'd call exceptionally technical for DT overall. LNF and BITS no doubt have technical bits thrown in here and there,  but it's more of a sprinkling, and maybe a bit in OTBOA too. Aside from that, there's less focus on the technical, and more on the melodic.
I guess you can say the same for SFAM too. That also has more focus on the melodic/ballad than usual, but it feels more technical to me. Maybe it's because the technical stuff is a lot more upfront. I find the polyrhythms on SFAM are a lot clearer to spot than ADTOE. Maybe it's the low drum mix hiding the complexity.
Maybe ADTOE is more complex than I thought. It just doesn't *sound* as technical. Maybe it's just more subtle about it, and better at hiding it.

Agreed. While ADTOE has some of their most technical material, I would say the new album is contains some of their most complex arrangements; and on just about every song. It almost gives the illusion of technical.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 03:14:04 AM »

Yep, wonder what the tour will be like?

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 03:23:37 AM »
Scenes is a far more technical album than this one imo...

Beyond this life, strange deja vu, home has some absolutely insane parts, the dance of eternity.... Beyond that, they also had the lyrical technicalities. So yeah, it's a technical album for sure, but not the most technical. I'm not sure where it would rank for me yet.. Definitely below SFAM and 8VM. 8VM might have just been their most technical on the big giant nugget scale.

Also 6DOIT is more technical.. I consider technical to consist of lyrics as well.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:30:59 AM by 3xodus »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 04:32:15 AM »
I don't know if it's the most technical album overall, but it's definitely the most technical in some time.  And it's delicious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 05:53:49 AM »
It is technical, but more in terms of rhythms and time sig changes etc. than shredding.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
Scenes is a far more technical album than this one imo...

Beyond this life, strange deja vu, home has some absolutely insane parts, the dance of eternity.... Beyond that, they also had the lyrical technicalities. So yeah, it's a technical album for sure, but not the most technical. I'm not sure where it would rank for me yet.. Definitely below SFAM and 8VM. 8VM might have just been their most technical on the big giant nugget scale.

Also 6DOIT is more technical.. I consider technical to consist of lyrics as well.

its definitely more complex than octavarium, the full circle section of the title song is obviously full of craziness, and other songs have their moments. also strange deja vu isnt technical. but to me ADTOE is consistently just 'difficult' on their respective instruments

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »
More than SFAM? I don't think so. But close.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nat Eleison

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »

What the Hell!  It's only been out for a week, that's nuts!  I just got it today!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
i disagree with SFAM. great album, with moments here and there.

regression- negative
overture 1928 - nothing too crazy
strange deja vu - negative
through my words - negative
fatal tragedy - guitar solo, outro
beyond this life - zappa section
through her eyes - negative
home - solo section, end
TDOE - obvi
one last time - negative
spirit carries on - negative
finally free - negative

Offline InertSolo

• Images and Turds
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
SFAM and Train of Thought come across as more technical to me. ADTOE does have sections that are pretty balls out but so does every DT album.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
TDOE looks like chopstix next to Outcry.

I think this might be a bit of an exaggeration.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »

Maybe a little.  But Outcry is probably the craziest they've been SINCE TDOE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
Intervals?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
Third option: "Maybe"

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
No.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »

Just highlights how evil sounding that first verse riff is. Especially when it goes to the "F"   :eek

Offline johncal

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »

Maybe a little.  But Outcry is probably the craziest they've been SINCE TDOE.

I don't know. TDOE has a lot more structure and audible notes which makes it easier to keep time and follow. Outcry has all these dead spaces in it which means you have to remember every time signature without an external reference. That mean's everybody better have the exact same internal timing (and memory). NOT an easy thing to do. But they're both hard songs to do.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:43:18 PM by johncal »

Offline livehard

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
I would say SFAM was their most techinical...no? I mean that was just a freight train of talent nonstop for the whole album.  There are a good 3 songs here that aren't super techinical

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
Intervals?

Intervals? I wouldn't call that technical.

Offline livehard

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »
right before intervals is pretty techinical

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 08:44:53 PM »
Yeah I agree, but that's not part of Intervals. At least, it makes sense that Intervals starts when they hit the final chord of the instrumental and the organ goes for a few seconds before JLB starts singing.

Really the instrumental has always been its own little thing, in between Full Circle and Intervals. Not a part of either one.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »
Yeah I agree, but that's not part of Intervals. At least, it makes sense that Intervals starts when they hit the final chord of the instrumental and the organ goes for a few seconds before JLB starts singing.

Really the instrumental has always been its own little thing, in between Full Circle and Intervals. Not a part of either one.

I always felt that "Intervals" began right after the second verse of "Full Circle", which included the instrumental section that changes around a lot. It just made sense to me to include it, otherwise, the "Intervals" movement would be REALLY short. That instrumental section just makes more sense to be a part of "Intervals" than "Full Circle".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wilgod3p

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »
most tech is systematic chaos