Author Topic: The 'Music is Objective/Subjective' lol thread  (Read 13883 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: The 'Music is Objective/Subjective' lol thread
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
Cauliflower is objectively better at being worse.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2011, 12:42:17 PM »
Hayden, I am sure I listen to at least as much music as you do, and also know a lot of music theory.

If you and I disagree over whether a song or album is good or bad, which of us is right?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »
Hayden, I am sure I listen to at least as much music as you do, and also know a lot of music theory.

If you and I disagree over whether a song or album is good or bad, which of us is right?

You are boss.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

It's like...a confidence interval thing, maybe.  Like you have your bounds and area of expertise and I have mind.  So there's some overlap and some disagreement.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »

It's like...a confidence interval thing, maybe.  Like you have your bounds and area of expertise and I have mind.  So there's some overlap and some disagreement.
We could both have the same area of expertise and experience and still disagree. It happens to me all the time. If it is objective, then there must be a right and a wrong. So which would it be? And why?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »
We'd have to pick a song to discuss as an example.  I dunno how we'd do it in just general terms.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
Let me ask if I'm getting this.  Back to the SSBM example, it would be incorrect to say "Marth is 'better' than Roy", but it would be correct to say "Marth is better at winning than Roy".  Is this along the lines of what you're saying?

Nnnnnope.  Its incorrect to say either.  Especially since, if you're a good enough player, you can beat someone using Meta Knight when you're using Peach. 

Also this analogy makes no sense.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2011, 01:42:35 PM »
Dude, all of this is irrelevant until you can actually prove that 'true knowledge' of music actually exists. You've yet to directly answer my point, and I'm on the verge of just giving up after having repeated it four times.
Okay, I'm latching on to what you are saying.  Nothing can be "better" than anything else without a "better"-determining standard, even though X could be objectively more harmonious/melodic/whatever than Y.

Let me ask if I'm getting this.  Back to the SSBM example, it would be incorrect to say "Marth is 'better' than Roy", but it would be correct to say "Marth is better at winning than Roy".  Is this along the lines of what you're saying?

Essentially, yes. I mean, I'm not really sure how you'd be able to truly judge whether Marth is better at winning than Roy, since so much of it is player skill and style and such, but that's the idea.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
Dude, all of this is irrelevant until you can actually prove that 'true knowledge' of music actually exists. You've yet to directly answer my point, and I'm on the verge of just giving up after having repeated it four times.
Okay, I'm latching on to what you are saying.  Nothing can be "better" than anything else without a "better"-determining standard, even though X could be objectively more harmonious/melodic/whatever than Y.

Essentially, yes. I mean, I'm not really sure how you'd be able to truly judge whether Marth is better at winning than Roy, since so much of it is player skill and style and such, but that's the idea.
The way tier lists are constructed is mostly just by looking at tournament results.  It is assumed that on a tournament level, the characters are being played to their fullest potential.  Since people that play as Marth place higher than people that play as Roy, this is used to support the argument that Marth should be higher on the tier list than Roy.

Of course, the assumption itself is flawed, and that's why tier lists are constantly changing.  For example, Jigglypuff used to be in the above-average tier around 11th place or something, but now she's in 3rd because pros figured out how to be better with her.

But back to the music discussion, I guess we can come to the agreement than it is silly to say one song is better than another.  In fact, I think we can even agree that it's silly to say that anything is better than anything else.  Simply because the word "better" needs to be addressing some kind of purpose. 

And if that's settled, my follow up question would be, can we make objective claims regarding the specific qualities of music?  Like, "X is more rythmic than Y"?  Or even as far as "X is better to dance to than Y"?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2011, 02:13:06 PM »
But back to the music discussion, I guess we can come to the agreement than it is silly to say one song is better than another.  In fact, I think we can even agree that it's silly to say that anything is better than anything else.  Simply because the word "better" needs to be addressing some kind of purpose. 

And if that's settled, my follow up question would be, can we make objective claims regarding the specific qualities of music?  Like, "X is more rythmic than Y"?  Or even as far as "X is better to dance to than Y"?

If you're gonna say something like a song in 4/4 is better to dance to than one in an odd meter, than yeah why not. But beyond that I don't really see how.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2011, 02:15:11 PM »
What about "X is better to feel depressed to than Y"?  Or other emotionally charged statements?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2011, 02:18:35 PM »
No. What if I get insanely happy when listening to Agalloch?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
How is emotion not subjective? Everyone feels differently about different things.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2011, 02:20:29 PM »
Even the 4/4 thing... someone could prefer dancing to a waltz. And there are some people out there who might prefer dancing to less common time signatures so.... I don't think that works either.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »
How is emotion not subjective? Everyone feels differently about different things.

This, oh god this.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
Why are you so focused on trying to make all these objective statements about music? Just enjoy it, who cares about anything else?

Even the 4/4 thing... someone could prefer dancing to a waltz. And there are some people out there who might prefer dancing to less common time signatures so.... I don't think that works either.

Yeah that's very true.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »
Kind of.  I mean, biologically we're all 95+% the same.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »
Why are you so focused on trying to make all these objective statements about music? Just enjoy it, who cares about anything else?

This. The great thing about music is practically nothing about it is objective. It is a very personal thing that can mean a million things to a million different people. I honestly think it is one of the most fascinating things in life because of that depth and variety. If music was objective, places like this would be boring as fuck.  :P

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »
Kind of.  I mean, biologically we're all 95+% the same.

Holy shit dude.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2011, 09:10:31 AM »
This thread makes me hate music.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »

Stop saying that. It's not objective.
I AM A GUY

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »

I'LL SHOW YOU OBJECTIVE.

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »

The meaning of this post is subjective.
hi

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »

I subjectively will objective your face until is is objectively subjective.
I AM A GUY

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »

I subjectively will objective your face until is is objectively subjective.

I will objectively shove a can of tuna up your left nostril because pain is subjective.
hi

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
My brain is bleeding from this topic.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2011, 08:31:43 AM »
this topic makes my ballsack shrink

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »
good

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
this topic makes my ballsack shrink

BC

You can use it to counter the ballsack explosion from getting Grace for Drowning.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:54 AM »
There a lots of things that are objective, but there is no way that things like music, movies or food can be considered objective IMO, because it all depends on the individual's taste.

That's how I see it at least.

I disagree about foods, Lima Beans are objectively worse than things that aren't Lima beans.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
Black licorice, guys, black licorice.  Worst "food" in existence.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »
Nickleback is black licorice, then?

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
No, Nickelback are a band.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
All opinions are wrong guys everyone shut the fuck up
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
Lulu is objectively bad, everything else is up for debate.