Author Topic: The 'Music is Objective/Subjective' lol thread  (Read 13877 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: The 'Music is Objective/Subjective' lol thread
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
It's just like anything else.  Things in the world just aren't equal.  There are better and worse sports teams.  There are better and worse leaders.  There are better and worse kinds of food.  It just follows that there are better and worse pieces of music.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2011, 06:48:31 PM »
unless you can provide a clear line of reasoning supported by sound assumptions as to why it's better, it's just something you've made up.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2011, 06:48:44 PM »
What would you say are the best and worst individual pieces of music in the world, Hayden?

I'm currently listening to Chamelion by Helloween, and I think it may be the worst album in the world, if not for the fact that the first song is totally awesome.  (In an 80s cheez-wiz sorta way).

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »
It's just like anything else.  Things in the world just aren't equal.  There are better and worse sports teams.  There are better and worse leaders.  There are better and worse kinds of food.  It just follows that there are better and worse pieces of music.

Sports teams have competitions where they compete against each other. There are clear winners in things like the Super Bowl. Yet, one could argue a team is still a "better team" than one that won the competition.

Music CAN'T have a winner because what is "best" depends solely on someone's taste. There may be elements in music that YOU find make good music, but someone who listens to noise/hardcore/boybands would have completely different justifications as to what makes something "good".

Offline Ħ

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »
I guess the only way to truly know the objective value of music is to get a large enough sample size of unbiased virgin listeners to rank a group of songs, or something.  That's competition.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
...that's not objective AT ALL.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2011, 06:58:26 PM »
If you're an ad executive or a pop music marketer, a song can have objective value based on its volume. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »
I guess the only way to truly know the objective value of music is to get a large enough sample size of unbiased virgin listeners to rank a group of songs, or something.  That's competition.

So then you'd have a general popular opinion.  Not an objective scale.  Sigz keeps bringing it up and you continue to ignore it.
unless you can provide a clear line of reasoning supported by sound assumptions as to why it's better, it's just something you've made up.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2011, 07:04:52 PM »

Offline ehra

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2011, 07:20:25 PM »

FFS, cut your hair.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »

FFS, cut your hair.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2011, 05:35:45 PM »
Sigz keeps bringing it up and you continue to ignore it.

You haven't done the same, and my viewpoint is "objective until proven subjective", so I'm sticking with "objective".

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »
I haven't done the same because by definition a subjective statement has no line reasoning to back it up. If you're going to say "X is objectively better than Y" you have to be able to explain the reasoning behind it, otherwise it's not objective. Simply saying you think it's objective doesn't make it so, and saying "well these other things are so this must be too" isn't either.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
Hmm...what about this?

https://brindedcow.umd.edu/philosophy/opinions.html

Based on this, I'd say my opinion (or the opinion of most DTFers) is more reflective of objective reality than your average top 40 listener.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2011, 08:04:44 PM »
I'd say my opinion (or the opinion of most DTFers) is more reflective of objective reality than your average top 40 listener.

The fact that anyone can possibly think this is true is completely baffling to me. Ignorance at its finest.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:16:46 PM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »
Not all opinions are equal.  Seeing as I listen to a truckload of music, play multiple instruments, know music theory, and am an attentive listener, I'd say my opinions on music hold more water than someone's like my mom's.  She only flips on the radio every once in a while.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2011, 08:08:49 PM »
You have a better understanding of music, so your opinion might hold more weight to another, but it does not make you any more right than your mom.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »
I don't have to be, but I likely am.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
It's blowing my mind that you still aren't getting this concept, and I was going to attempt to explain it to you one more time, but it's just hopeless.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
Ok Hayden, I understand your point of view. I really do. I had to deal with it in my philosophy class, so I've become accustomed to it. My issue is not that you think it is objective, it is that you think it is objective but have no means of a definite scale to back up your thesis.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »
If you're going to say "X is objectively better than Y" you have to be able to explain the reasoning behind it, otherwise it's not objective.

Regardless of how much music you've listened to, how much music theory you know, or any other reason or paper you can throw out there, until you can answer that you can't demonstrate that music, or your opinion on it, is objective.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
If you're going to say "X is objectively better than Y" you have to be able to explain the reasoning behind it, otherwise it's not objective.

Regardless of how much music you've listened to, how much music theory you know, or any other reason or paper you can throw out there, until you can answer that you can't demonstrate that music, or your opinion on it, is objective.

Yeah, I agree.

Saying x is better than y is one thing. Being able to give quantitative reasons why is another. I suspect you won't be able to do that without it being completely lolworthy, so right now I can't see this whole objective standards for music being anything more than authoritative chest-pounding (aka, people thinking they have better tastes just because they play an instrument or something).

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »
I play bass and know some music theory therefore my opinion on bass players is objectively correct.

Pete Wentz is the greatest bassist of the century and Les Claypool is an insult. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
I just want to say that I am objectively better than Hayden because I am

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2011, 07:27:10 AM »
I am objectively seeing Opeth tonight in live concert and Hayden is not.

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »
There are better and worse kinds of food.  It just follows that there are better and worse pieces of music.
These two aren't true, unless you mean healthwise for food.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:07 AM »
How are you guys not getting it?

What I'm saying is much like the philosophical idea of "true knowledge" vs. "head knowledge."  It's been a while, so I forgot the actual terms, but hopefully these suffice.  "True knowledge" is that which is objectively true.  "Head knowledge" is basically true knowledge run through the filter of our individual perspectives.  Since no one is omnipotent, no one knows what "true knowledge" actually is.  But as we learn more, we try to make the overlap between our head knowledge and true knowledge as high as possible.

This can be used to compare the perspectives and opinions of two different people.  Let's say Person A knows 10% there is to know about music, and Person B knows 1%.  These numbers are just arbitrary for arguments sake.  All that really means in the context of true knowledge is that Person A's perspective is 10x less "foggy" than Person B's.  If I were to put money on who's "head knowledge" overlapped with "true knowledge" the most, I'd bet on Person A (even though there remains the possibility that Person B actually has more true knowledge overlap).

That's why I've been careful to use words like "probably" and "likely".  There is no way to know with 100% certainty the objective quality of music.  But as we listen more, learn more, etc., our views grow ever more clear.  That's why I said that I probably "know" more (i.e. have more true knowledge overlap) than someone like my mom.

Offline ehra

« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
What does knowing a lot about and having a lot of experience with something have to do with that something being objective?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2011, 10:35:34 AM »
Dude, all of this is irrelevant until you can actually prove that 'true knowledge' of music actually exists. You've yet to directly answer my point, and I'm on the verge of just giving up after having repeated it four times.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2011, 10:36:32 AM »
How are you guys not getting it?

What I'm saying is much like the philosophical idea of "true knowledge" vs. "head knowledge."  It's been a while, so I forgot the actual terms, but hopefully these suffice.  "True knowledge" is that which is objectively true.  "Head knowledge" is basically true knowledge run through the filter of our individual perspectives.  Since no one is omnipotent, no one knows what "true knowledge" actually is.  But as we learn more, we try to make the overlap between our head knowledge and true knowledge as high as possible.

This can be used to compare the perspectives and opinions of two different people.  Let's say Person A knows 10% there is to know about music, and Person B knows 1%.  These numbers are just arbitrary for arguments sake.  All that really means in the context of true knowledge is that Person A's perspective is 10x less "foggy" than Person B's.  If I were to put money on who's "head knowledge" overlapped with "true knowledge" the most, I'd bet on Person A (even though there remains the possibility that Person B actually has more true knowledge overlap).

That's why I've been careful to use words like "probably" and "likely".  There is no way to know with 100% certainty the objective quality of music.  But as we listen more, learn more, etc., our views grow ever more clear.  That's why I said that I probably "know" more (i.e. have more true knowledge overlap) than someone like my mom.

You're also assuming that there's a limit to what people can know about music.  And if you don't know what "true knowledge" is in the first place, how do you know that your opinions/"knowledge" overlap with it?

You're trying to place objective bounds over the quality of music, bounds which don't exist and really can never exist.  Even if you know a lot about composing music, or how music works, saying one song is objectively better than another can't work.  There's really no way to give a piece of music an objective "score" if you will.  There isn't some universal criteria.  There CAN'T be a universal criteria.  Music as a whole is too big and the amount of music in the world is constantly growing at an exponential rate.  Quality is in the ear of the beholder. 

Sure you can use your music theory knowledge to examine the song, look at how the harmonies, melodies, and rhythms all interact with each other, and maybe that gives you more of an appreciation, which makes you like the song more, but you can't use that as a basis for why one song is better than another.

Offline ehra

« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Let's say that tomorrow someone proves that blue is objectively the best color in the world. What use does this realization have? What does "objectively best color" even mean, and in what way could that knowledge be applied?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
Not all opinions are equal.  Seeing as I listen to a truckload of music, play multiple instruments, know music theory, and am an attentive listener, I'd say my opinions on music hold more water than someone's like my mom's.  She only flips on the radio every once in a while.

:lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2011, 12:01:27 PM »
Dude, all of this is irrelevant until you can actually prove that 'true knowledge' of music actually exists. You've yet to directly answer my point, and I'm on the verge of just giving up after having repeated it four times.
Okay, I'm latching on to what you are saying.  Nothing can be "better" than anything else without a "better"-determining standard, even though X could be objectively more harmonious/melodic/whatever than Y.

Let me ask if I'm getting this.  Back to the SSBM example, it would be incorrect to say "Marth is 'better' than Roy", but it would be correct to say "Marth is better at winning than Roy".  Is this along the lines of what you're saying?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
There a lots of things that are objective, but there is no way that things like music, movies or food can be considered objective IMO, because it all depends on the individual's taste.

That's how I see it at least.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2011, 12:21:34 PM »
There a lots of things that are objective, but there is no way that things like music, movies or food can be considered objective IMO, because it all depends on the individual's taste.

That's how I see it at least.

I disagree about foods, cauliflower is objectively worse than things that aren't cauliflower.
fanticide.bandcamp.com