Author Topic: Gift Receiving Guilt  (Read 826 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Gift Receiving Guilt
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »
So yesterday my girlfriend surprised me and told me that she wanted to buy me a M&G package for the DT show in DC.  I was just so stunned by the gesture and told her that I needed to straighten things out at work.  But I think I'd just feel awful accepting such a nice and expensive gift.  My mom always made a stink when I talked about buying her something expensive like a new TV, so now I know how she feels.  Does anyone else feel this way about getting really nice gifts?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Gift Receiving Guilt
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:08:39 AM »
I usually do, yes. However, if a person really does want to do something nice, why not?

Offline j

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »
I do, I actually have a lot of trouble accepting gifts from people.  Although it's always been a little bit different when it comes to my wife, or previously, a girl I was dating.  At least then it's established that you really care about each other.

-J

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
I understand where you're coming from on this dude. Perhaps you feel like her money could be more prudently spent while still making you almost/just as happy and you may feel like she's setting herself back a tad on finances in doing so.

While there is definitely a logical basis in your reasoning, remember that this is something she wants to do and if you wanted to do likewise for her you'd probably want her to just accept the gift and be thrilled about it. My advice is to just wow her with an awesome gift on Christmas/her next birthday (which ever comes first.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
Does anyone else feel this way about getting really nice gifts?
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
I usually do, yes. However, if a person really does want to do something nice, why not?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 12:16:07 PM »
Na because I'm usually the one spending loads of money on people's gifts :neverusethis:

I do feel guilty if someone gets me a Christmas present and I haven't gotten them one though

Offline Liberation

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
Well, if they can afford it... I'm simply going to be incredibly happy and grateful, and try to come up with something just as great on the next chance. I love getting gifts which really make me feel like the person cares about me and tried to make me happy (rather than just "I should probably give you something on this occasion so... here you go", though that doesn't mean I'm not grateful in such case), but what I love even more is being on the other end and giving such gift and feeling to someone. :)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
I know its not comparable, but I get my girlfriend cd's or comic's she's reading that she can't find the next volume sometimes.  With the music, I gave her Kvelertak and she liked it so that made me feel pretty boss.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
However you feel about it, you gotta admit it's pretty awesome that she even is offering something so special to you.  Sounds like a keeper dude. :tup

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
I feel a sense of guilt/owing the other person, though I get over it very quickly, because, hey, free stuff. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
I feel this way sometimes.

I've been on the other side though and I just really wanted to give a nice gift.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
I haven't gotten a nice gift in a long time, but I remember feeling pretty awesome about it when I used to get them.  Definitely not guilty.