Author Topic: The best metal band?  (Read 11863 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: The best metal band?
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »
I don't understand the concept of "the best" band.

First, how exactly do you measure it? The most fans? The highest average rating % from reviews? The most neck injuries caused? Orgasms created during career? Yeah, you get the point. It's entirely subjective. You could go the "most influential" path, but then the only band in which case it can be measured at all is Black Sabbath since they pretty much started the genre, but still, they've only started a very small part of all that is metal now after these 40 years or so. So... not really.

Second, it's not even possible to compare bands from entirely different sub-genres. How will you convince someone Kreator is superior to Mayhem? Not even possible. And what about great bands which are mostly metal but with heavy influences of something non-metal like Opeth?...

Either I took this thread too seriously or something's wrong. :P
You're exactly right actually, no matter how much someone might tell me A7X is the best, I will vehemently disagree and say Kvelertak, Death, or Obscura is.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »
(mods, this might get a little competitive but it's all in good fun so yeah)

Joe can predict the future! :dangerwillrobinson:
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »
We should make this a poll.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2011, 02:29:22 PM »
Either I took this thread too seriously

You did. It's all just personal opinion.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
No, because then it becomes a popularity contest.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
No, because then it becomes a popularity contest.

Well how else is this kind of question answered? With all the pointless arguments that this thread has had?
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2011, 02:35:24 PM »
Popularity doesn't mean the best though :L
If we were to have a poll I'd change the topic to Most Popular Metal Band.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »
The thread is essentially asking everyone what their favorite metal band is. A poll is the best way to convey that information.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
The thread is essentially asking everyone what their favorite metal band is. A poll is the best way to convey that information.
Then this shouldn't be called "The Best Metal Band", that's all I'm saying.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
You are clearly a fanboy. Fucking christ dude, they really aren't that talented at all, and NONE of them are good songwriters (except maybe The Rev)

you're ///////////////////so///////////////////// wrong. i CANNOT emphasize this. it is your opinion of their songwriting and their talent-- because both of those are fantastic, if you've listened to a song like "Sidewinder," "I Won't See You Tonight pt.1," and "Save Me," you wouldn't criticize their songwriting at all.

you're a cool dude and all but you seriously have some sort of complex when it comes to these guys from what i've seen ("why can't this band break up" on sputnik) so just get over it and stop talking about them if they piss you off so much

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
Periphery!  Love that shit!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2011, 02:55:33 PM »
Avenged Sevenfold are pretty good.
I don't want to rank them overall or anything, but I do consider them to be one of the better metal-bands today, and by that I mean bands that are more "straight forward"-metal, and not combining 50 different genres with metal being one.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »

Why? When talking about the 'best' of anything music related, it's obvious it's all just opinions. You're acting like this is some of kind of official objective discussion or something.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »
You are clearly a fanboy. Fucking christ dude, they really aren't that talented at all, and NONE of them are good songwriters (except maybe The Rev)

you're ///////////////////so///////////////////// wrong. i CANNOT emphasize this. it is your opinion of their songwriting and their talent-- because both of those are fantastic, if you've listened to a song like "Sidewinder," "I Won't See You Tonight pt.1," and "Save Me," you wouldn't criticize their songwriting at all.

you're a cool dude and all but you seriously have some sort of complex when it comes to these guys from what i've seen ("why can't this band break up" on sputnik) so just get over it and stop talking about them if they piss you off so much

lol I always troll sputnik with those comments.

I really don't mean to come off as a prick when I talk about them, but that's just one thing I can't stand when people call them "virtuosos." There are just so many other more talented musicians out there.
I AM A GUY

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »

Why? When talking about the 'best' of anything music related, it's obvious it's all just opinions. You're acting like this is some of kind of official objective discussion or something.

It's not? ???
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »

No I'm not, its just a clearly mistitled thread.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »
@Ryan

I mean sure there's a lot of more technically skilled musicians out there (there always have been, especially bands and musicians people have never heard of that have insane talent) but that doesn't make their actual songwriting skill /bad/ subjectively.

And I really love the guys and their work so when people insult it based on opinion rather than fact I get a little ticked. They're definitely not the most skilled metal band out there, but they are a good one technically, and for people like me and ZKX they're an amazing one for our tastes. :tup

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
but that doesn't make their actual songwriting skill /bad/ subjectively.

subjectively.

Well obviously it does because you said subjectively.
I AM A GUY

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »
The Beatles.  :metal
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
but that doesn't make their actual songwriting skill /bad/ subjectively.

subjectively.

Well obviously it does because you said subjectively.

Or objectively, really. :biggrin:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »

Helter Skelter and She's So Heavy are pretty heavy. 

Speaking of early heavy metal, I just recently heard of this band, Sir Lord Baltimore from 70, or so, and it's extremely groovy.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »

No I'm not, its just a clearly mistitled thread.

Once again, how?

Offline Liberation

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »
Well, ok. The OP is fairly serious so I thought it's meant to be a serious thread but I see it's become more of a fun thread :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »
This thread is just lolObjectivety really.
I mean, everyone will say differently, and it isn't possible to reach an objective answer for the "best" metal-band, however we could look at facts and statistics and come to a conclusion over the most popular metal-band, based on record-sales and similar things, but again, "best" doesn't really have anything to do with popularity, because again, quality is subjective.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
If this is to become a poll, it merely becomes a popularity contest, and thats like saying Metallica is the best Metal band because they're the most well known.   Popularity /= best.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm fine to discuss with people their favorite metal bands though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:26:19 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »

Helter Skelter and She's So Heavy are pretty heavy. 

Speaking of early heavy metal, I just recently heard of this band, Sir Lord Baltimore from 70, or so, and it's extremely groovy.

Helter Skelter is the 1st heavy metal song I ever heard.

Thanks for the info of Sir Lord Baltimore - I'll check them out. :)
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2011, 03:30:39 PM »
Thrice's cover of Helter Skelter is so awesome...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yogo6fJPJnE
I AM A GUY

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
I mean, everyone will say differently, and it isn't possible to reach an objective answer for the "best" metal-band, however we could look at facts and statistics and come to a conclusion over the most popular metal-band, based on record-sales and similar things, but again, "best" doesn't really have anything to do with popularity, because again, quality is subjective.

Just because we might not know what is objectively the best doesn't mean that such a thing as objectivity in art doesn't exist.

Anyway, my favorite is Maiden.  It's possible Maiden is also objectively the best.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »

Just because we might not know what is objectively the best doesn't mean that such a thing as objectivity in art doesn't exist.

Anyway, my favorite is Maiden.  It's possible Maiden is also objectively the best.
Iron Maiden while good, are far from best for me,  They have 2-3 albums I enjoy in entirety where as the rest are a few good songs scattered inbetween mediocre and bad songs.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »
There is 0 objectivity in music, and everyone who even remotely thinks otherwise is retarded.
I AM A GUY

Offline Ħ

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
There is 0 objectivity in music, and everyone who even remotely thinks otherwise is retarded.

Anyway, I think DT is probably the best metal band.  Haven't heard better.  I mean, metal is generally pretty terrible, so there's not much to compete with. :P
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
Anyway, I think DT is probably the best metal band.  Haven't heard better.  I mean, metal is generally pretty terrible, so there's not much to compete with. :P

I agree with you on DeeTee being the best.  T can't say that metal is generally terrible.  I'd say it's more largely mediocre with some really awesome bands to make up for it. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »
Seeing as the laws of everything are objective, I'd say the burden of proof is on you to show something can be subjectively good/bad.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges