Author Topic: Weird situation regarding a last-minute stay of execution  (Read 1292 times)

Offline j

Weird situation regarding a last-minute stay of execution
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/11th-hour-supreme-court-execution-stay-texas-inmate-163344409.html

Just read this and thought it was interesting, thought I'd see what some of you guys had to say about it.

-J

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Weird situation regarding a last-minute stay of execution
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:06:02 AM »
Every time I read those kinds of articles, it just oozes out of them how those executions are not born out of justice, but out of revenge and spite.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsem

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »
America doesn't like under mosaic law, there should be no moral justification for ever executing anyone. Also, there's always a chance someone innocent gets executed - it makes it all the worse.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:29:44 PM »
Yeah, that's a weird one.  It got surprisingly little coverage down here until after the stay was issued.  My prediction for the outcome is that they require a new sentencing hearing, where he'll once again be sentenced to death, except fairly this time,  and in 4 or 5 years they'll mainline him.  There'll certainly be some uproar over spending more time and money on a guy who's guilt is nearly certain, as the people who tend to support capital punishment don't tend to get complex issues like it can be wrong to unfairly execute a guilty man.  The biggest question mark I see is the current make-up of the SCOTUS, which as a rule seem to have absolutely zero regard for procedural due process. 

Something that's actually rather important to note in this case, is that it's yet another instance of Rick Perry having absolutely no concept of how things are supposed to work in this country.  Like the aforementioned people lacking the ability to see complex issues for what they are, he invariably jumps to the notion that only the outcome matters.  In the Cameron Todd Willingham case,  my problem isn't really that he was not guilty*, mistakes happen,  but that Perry has steadfastly defended the execution on the basis that Willingham was a monster--in his opinion.  This is a very similar issue, and one like many others, where Perry is willing to disregard this country's fundamental principles to accomplish whatever it is that he, personally,  thinks is right.  Bad dude.

*The man might very well have done it, but he wasn't legally guilty by a long shot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:53:12 PM »
What I find out about this case is that, out of numerous cases of execution I've heard recently, this seems like an odd one to jump into.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
What I find out about this case is that, out of numerous cases of execution I've heard recently, this seems like an odd one to jump into.
Yeah, I thought the same thing.  It's strange in that there's no question of his guilt, and he would have been sentenced to death down here regardless of how they worked the sentencing, yet there's something very stark about using the fact that he's black as an excuse to kill him.  It's such an in-your-face affront to reason.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
Yeah, I thought the same thing.  It's strange in that there's no question of his guilt, and he would have been sentenced to death down here regardless of how they worked the sentencing, yet there's something very stark about using the fact that he's black as an excuse to kill him.  It's such an in-your-face affront to reason.

Maybe I shouldn't say it's odd that they jumped into this one, but that they jumped into this one, and not others.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't say it's odd that they jumped into this one, but that they jumped into this one, and not others.

They had already ordered retrials for the other five cases where that psychologist testified and made similar statements.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol