Author Topic: The Messiah Will Come Again (Gary Moore) Appriciation  (Read 561 times)

Offline Mastervai

The Messiah Will Come Again (Gary Moore) Appriciation
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »
Okay, here goes.
I've been a "lurker" for about 15 years (just turned 31).

But I just gotta know if I'm alone her??

Because this is my first post I'll tell you a little bit about myself:

My first live concert where I really paid attention was with my dad seeing Gary in Copenhagen in 97' (seen him 6 times since then) I was 17 years old (I had attended a lot of concerts by local Danish bands), and had just picked up playing the guitar 1-2 years before that time, and needless to say I was totally blown away.

My musical heroes growing up (besides gary) = Guns n' Roses, Extreme, Vai, Satriani, Ozzy, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, Dream Theater, Metallica, Freak Kitchen etc...

Now back to Gary. His performence of Messiah on the 90' Definitive Montreux, just ignites the flame all over again for me and he totally blows me away (I saw him live a couple of years ago - and while it was great and rockin' as always I could not help the feeling of "same ol' same ol'".

BUT this performence is Gary at his absolutely finest, I mean there is SHREDDING to the max (with rythem) - there is subtlety abundance and emotion overflow in every note. Every note is spot on and absolutely perfect. There is not a single boring moment and he plays it so progessively that you just sit and watch it in awe and excitement till the end. There is a perfectly share of "light" and "dark" / metal / jazz / blues. It just makes you take notise and listen/watch.

Okay enough of my ranting... What do YOU think ??

I'm going to see DT in January (KB Hallen just burned down so they are performing in a +2000 venue) yeah.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:28:06 PM by Mastervai »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: The Messiah Will Come Again (Gary Moore) Appriciation
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »
The day Gary Moore died, I played "The Messiah Will Come Again" at fairly loud volumes as a tribute to one of my favorite guitarists ever. I remember getting After the War, hearing that, and my jaw literally dropping more than once.  One of my favorite guitar performances ever.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
Big Gary fan here. Saw him probably more than anyone in the 80s and early 90s. first got into the rock stuff with Corridors Of Power but loved the early blues years, though it got a bit samey after a while.
He was a big influence on my guitar playing.
The first time I saw him live (at Blackburn, UK) I was on the front row. There was so much dry ice that all you could see for the first three songs was an outline of Gary's hair in the lights.

The live  version of Empty Rooms on We Want Moore is beautiful. Agree with TMWCA, great performance.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
My fave GM song, is The Loner.
I love it and was one of the first songs I ever learnt to play on guitar.