Author Topic: The Official "Post Your Instrument" Thread  (Read 212363 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: The Official "Post Your Instrument" Thread
« Reply #525 on: May 31, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »
Here's a semi-recent photo of my kit:

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline spacebard

« Reply #526 on: August 12, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »

Other gear/pedals not seen

Digitech GSP1101

Vfe Dragon
Elektron Analog drive
Chase Bliss Audio Spectre blue knobs
Gurus Echosex 2 T7E
Gurus Sinusoid
T-Rex Replica
Digitech Freqout
Digitech Drop

Yamaha Motif Es8

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:05:52 PM by spacebard »

Offline yillars

« Reply #527 on: February 22, 2020, 07:06:08 AM »
Hey guys! Here is my new setup!

- Mesa Boogie Mark IV A - 1992
- Mesa 2x12 Road King V30
- Ernie Ball Music Man Majesty - Fuchsia Sparkle
- Furman M-10Lx E
- Korg Pitchblack Tuner
- Yamaha SPX90 (Zakk Wylde's Chorus)
- TC Electronic D-Two Delay
- TC Electronic 2290 Dynamic Digital Delay
- Voodoo Lab Power Plant
- Maxon AF9 (Marty Friedman's tone)
- DOD YJM308 OD/Booster (Yngwie Malmsteen Signature)
- DBX 160A Compressor/Limiter
- ISP Decimator ProRack G Dual Channel Noise Reduction
- Torpedo Reload
- Dunlop JP95 Wah (John Petrucci Signature)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #528 on: April 04, 2020, 08:27:39 PM »

Kiesel finally sent this bad boy over last month. I've never had such an incredible instrument.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:26:38 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #529 on: April 07, 2020, 05:02:50 AM »
How does it play? :O
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #530 on: April 07, 2020, 08:28:15 PM »
How does it play? :O
Like fuckin butter.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #531 on: April 29, 2020, 08:21:44 AM »
I finally picked up a couple desktop studio monitors to round out my setup.  Hopefully I can start playing around with recording a little more often now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #532 on: May 01, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2020, 07:10:08 AM »
Over my life I average about one new guitar every 10 years..................I don't have GAS  :lol ............as they call it.   I constantly check out guitars and when I decide I like one I give it a few days, come back to it , imagine it next to me and ask myself "Does that really make you want to pick it up?" and almost always the initial enthusiasm has faded.  My quest has been for a metal guitar but one that wouldn't look totally ridiculous playing some blues etc.....  In other words a bit less gawdy/more classy that what I have favoured in the past.

I have always been an Ibanez guy and so I have been watching various models in the RG's and S series plus some models from Schecter/Solar, but none have totally convinced me .I have been favoring woodgrain looks for my new axe but each time the veneers lack depth or the wood is dull and looks like a glorified coffee table.  Long story short I stumbled on to a deal for a brand new ESP LTD that I couldn't refuse-  a guitar brand I have never considered before due to seeing mostly "out there" designs from them and/or abalone bindings that were yuk!

So..............here's the ESP LTD Deluxe M-1000 - this particular model is specced out like one of the ESP E-II models .   Mahogany body with Hawaiian koa top , neck through body design with 5 piece maple/bubinga neck ,  Floyd Rose  trem , custom Dimarzio pickups, ebony fretboard with mother of pearl inlay , extra-jumbo frets , Grover tuners.  Should be a keeper  :metal

Third photo is an arty one done of the same model :drool:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:18:00 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2020, 08:26:21 AM »
That's a really classy powerhouse. Drool and congrats!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
Sweet. That’s a classy geetar Brent.

Now we need a video of you playing it 😀🤘

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2020, 11:07:45 AM »
Badass :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: June 11, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »
Damn, it looks hot.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: June 12, 2020, 05:23:04 AM »
Classy instrument.  And yes, as Paul said, now we just need a video of you playing it.

I'm a huge Ibanez man too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #539 on: June 13, 2020, 01:30:32 AM »
interesting that you went with an ESP LTD.  I have never been a guitarist (played bass in a band in high school and college) but my son has started taking lessons and I've been noodling around on his guitar a bit and have caught the bug.  We also got Rocksmith 2014 recently on Steam and that has been a lot of fun.

So anyway I'm looking to get a guitar for myself and some of the ESP LTD's have caught my eye.  Specifically the Alex Skolnick signature model:

Hoping to save up for it by the end of the year, unless another guitar catches my eye before then.

I noticed that some of their LTDs have the evertune bridge.  Anybody have any experience with that?  Seems to get pretty good reviews.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: June 13, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments folks - I am in love with it.  A real James Bond guitar - looks suave but packs a punch and is specced better than any LTD I have seen before.  My choice of LTD wasn't because I loved the brand leading in - I was a bit ignorant of them to be honest .  I just happened to stumble across someone selling one in my travels and did some research.  Most ESP/LTD guitars I have seen in the past haven't been to my taste.

No personal experience with Evertune Jon, but came across it during my recent research on some of the Solar guitars.  It seems it is a very good system , but like most things the more tech you add into the equation the more can go wrong I guess.

One thing that I do know that confuses people with them is that you cannot bend the strings when the guitar is straight out of the box.   There is an adjustment process required at your desired tuning before the guitar is playable.

The Skolnick LTD likewise seems very well specced for the price vs any sort of LP equivalent.  The inlays might be a bit love/hate but yeah..............nice guitar.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #541 on: June 14, 2020, 04:27:22 PM »
Brent, that looks freaking awesome. Total Metal. Total Blues. You nailed it.

Oh, and this:

Now we need a video of you playing it 😀🤘

You should post a quarantine video on your web site. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: June 14, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »
If anyone is on Instagram ™ - you can watch a bit of me playing my electronic kit

BY YER MYN

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #543 on: June 16, 2020, 02:09:36 AM »
I got a new guitar as well a month ago :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #544 on: June 16, 2020, 03:07:57 AM »
I got a new guitar as well a month ago :)

Pics please?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #545 on: June 16, 2020, 09:21:22 AM »
I don't think I ever posted pictures of my guitars here. I'll see what I can do!
Squ

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #546 on: June 16, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »
Seriously dude, this is "post your instrument" not "make posts talking about your instrument". :p

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #547 on: June 17, 2020, 02:44:43 AM »
Okay, I don't think I've ever done this before. Maybe I posted a pedalboard here at some point (I think I did), but my guitars were left off DTF, except for maybe a gig photo once in the picture thread, so let's get to it.

I won't post pics of all my guitars, since that's a little unnecesary, but here's the new one at least (and a couple of others). I realise this sort of guitar might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I had been wanting to own one of these for years and finally took the plunge around a month ago. It's an 8-string and it has basically rendered my 7-string useless ever since, though I will still keep that one for when I need to play gigs where I don't want to bring too expensive gear.

Next up, my main jazz guitar. Originally owned by my father in law, but in my possession ever since he passed away. Gets played a lot, obviously. It's a beautiful guitar. It's a Gretsch 6119 - Chet Atkins signature.

My main guitar that I basically use for everything - that is, up until I bought the 8-string. The 7-string I own is an ugly piece of shit, so I would only use that whenever I would absolutely need the extra string (some specific songs or band stuff) but this has always been my go-to guitar. It's the first 'good' one I bought after learning on a beginner model and it's been gigged with tons of times.

Almost the same model, but with a longer scale, smaller pick-ups and it's a hollow-body, believe it or not. The pickguard is indeed a mirror. Whenever I need something flashy or 'unique', this one is my first choice.

And then my go-to acoustic. This Taylor has been a friend and foe in one. I still don't think it's the best sounding acoustic I've ever played, but it gets the job done. I had to lower the string gauges like twice over the years of owning this, because it was tough to play on, but now it's set up brilliantly. The last mod I did to this was sandpaper the entire neck finish off, and now it's more smooth than ever.

Squ

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #548 on: June 17, 2020, 04:47:49 AM »
Cool puppies, Rich!

I must admit, that Gretsch is giving me a woody.

Is that a FBT amp I see near the door?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #549 on: June 17, 2020, 05:12:18 AM »

Yes :lol that thing is ancient. It doesn't really work anymore, so I use it as a test speaker or as a bass guitar amplifier :)
Squ

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #550 on: June 17, 2020, 05:37:11 AM »

Yes :lol that thing is ancient. It doesn't really work anymore, so I use it as a test speaker or as a bass guitar amplifier :)

They make them (and have been making them since 1963) 15 minutes from where I'm born.

Crazy small world.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #551 on: June 17, 2020, 05:58:47 AM »
Wow, crazy stuff! Honestly I have no idea where the amp I have comes from, I've had it for years and never really use it, because it's ancient and doesn't really work. I've kept it because I think it's quite funny that I have this old thing of which I have no idea how I got it. I have another such amp, which is a portable mini amp in a wooden enclosure with an on-board tuner. This one I do use actually, it's in my living room for when I want to play some stuff downstairs. It once belonged to a long-lost friend's dad, who was an amateur jazz guitarist. It's actually a fine little jazz amp.
Squ

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #552 on: June 25, 2020, 06:48:31 AM »
So glad you went back to the guitar Brent. I was feeling bad for you - all that skill and knowledge going to waste. And to be making your living out of it? Cool. Hope it goes well.

But the podcasts man.... :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: June 26, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »
Seriously dude, this is "post your instrument" not "make posts talking about your instrument". :p

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #554 on: June 30, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
Where's the "Ask questions about your potential next instrument" thread?

I want to ask about the Epiphone Les Paul models.   I can get one I think for about $250 from a pawn shop.   Any thoughts (for when this gets moved to the right thread ;))?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #555 on: June 30, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »

I want to ask about the Epiphone Les Paul models.   I can get one I think for about $250 from a pawn shop.   Any thoughts (for when this gets moved to the right thread ;))?

If it's a PlusTop PRO, go for it: it has way nicer pickups (make sure they are ProBuckers) than any guitar under 500 bucks. If it's a regular model, then you're looking at something sounding a bit crappier. Try also to test it thoroughly, for quality control in China (where I think they're made) is often sloppy, and you have equal odds to get either a decent instrument or a piece of crap.

At the end, it all depends on what you need it for, and I personally believe 250$ spent on a (correctly built)  Epiphone LP are smarter than 2500$ on a Gibson LP, unless you're a collector / pro / wealthy bastard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: July 01, 2020, 04:26:07 AM »
The new 2020 Epiphones look amazing...

Now I badly want a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Custom ( with the sexy new headstock design ) and also a pair of Gibson 500R & 500T Custom Pickups.

All in I think that will be around £900 +/- . Far less money than buying a Gibson Les Paul Custom for £3,000 +

:drool:

I can't find a nice picture of the white one I want - but the black does look amazing too.

Now I just need to start saving up the £1k I need to get one !

I just wish there was a silverburst option. Although maybe since Gibson are doing an Adam Jones signature - there *MIGHT* be an Epiphone version.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #557 on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:19 AM »

If it's a PlusTop PRO, go for it: it has way nicer pickups (make sure they are ProBuckers) than any guitar under 500 bucks. If it's a regular model, then you're looking at something sounding a bit crappier. Try also to test it thoroughly, for quality control in China (where I think they're made) is often sloppy, and you have equal odds to get either a decent instrument or a piece of crap.

At the end, it all depends on what you need it for, and I personally believe 250$ spent on a (correctly built)  Epiphone LP are smarter than 2500$ on a Gibson LP, unless you're a collector / pro / wealthy bastard.

I'm pretty sure it's a "Les Paul Custom Pro Solid Body Electric Guitar Silver Burst".   I want it for two reasons:  one, I have two Strats, so I want that heavier "Les Paul" tone, and two, I had a late '80's model for a couple years and it played FANTASTIC. I suppose I'm chasing rainbows a bit on that last point, but I loved the slightly flatter neck.   There were two at the pawn shop I went to; I think the only thing to do is wait until COVID is done and go and play them, see what's what.  I just don't want to pay what I'd have to to get a decent Gibson Les Paul, as much as I love them.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #558 on: July 08, 2020, 08:08:22 AM »
I've just recently bought a Headrush gigboard and their FRFR cabinet. Really enjoying it so far. So easy to dial up great tones, even for me who isn't a gear head. I had to sell my 91 Yngwie USA strat to do it, but I never played it anyway. Those scallops were too hard to go back to after my Jem Jnr.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #559 on: July 10, 2020, 01:42:28 AM »
How is the FRFR cabinet? I've been eyeing one for my Kemper, but I'm content enough with the little speaker cabinet I own, especially with the limited time I use it (I mostly play over headphones when at home, due to noise), so I'm not sure whether I need to do it.
Squ