Author Topic: Package Appreciation*  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Package Appreciation*
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
*Roadrunner Special Edition packages, I mean.

I've gotta say, though it has nothing to do with the quality of the music I really have enjoyed the double-disc gatefold "special edition" version of albums most roundrunner bands have been releasing recently. They're really, really nice, and a testament to how far CDs have come in terms of being aesthetically pleasing. For example, see Within Tempatation's "The Unforgiving":

As I'm looking at this album, Dream Theater's new record, and Trivium's new one I can't help but really like what I'm seeing. Like I said, this has nothing to do with the music itself, but consider these usually cost maybe 3-5 more dollars than an iTunes download I'm more than willing to pay the price to have a decent product.

Anyway, roadrunner's special edition packages. The happy medium between iTunes or a jewelcase and Steven Wilson's 8 X 11 High Res photo albums?

Two more pics I took myself of the Trivium and DT albums, since I can't find better versions online:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:35:18 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: Package Appreciation*
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
I would be willing to spend money on these if the artist signed them. That is to say, if the regular edition was 15$ and the special addition--autographed by the band was 60$...I'd spend the 60$.

Gee, you might say, spidey how can you expect the band to sign 50,000 copies? I can. And I do. New market these days. Not the whole band, get each member to start signing shit long before the release day, on the bus between gigs, give 500 to sign, before long it'll be done and on release day presto.

I recently bought a Maxxess disc and an Axxess Maxxess disc from the artists site. I said in my purchase order "hey, can I have these signed"....."sure!!!" was the reply.

That is good stuff from the artist.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:08:12 PM »
Sorry, but fuck pretty much anything that's not in a jewel case.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »

:|

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »
I love the big package when you first get it, but my favourite is the cardboard slipcase and disc only.  You get the cover, a professional disc, and it is often as cheap as downloading it.

As for Nick, if you buy lots of something it can get annoying when some of them deviate from the standard.  They don't match everything else and can be harder to organize if they don't fit where you generally put your albums.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
Is it that special if they just do the same thing for all the bands on their label?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »
Is it that special if they just do the same thing for all the bands on their label?

Yeah I noticed that too.

Also lolnick.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »
Antigoon kinda has a point. Since Opeth, Mastodon and Machine Head are releasing albums with special editions this month, I can pretty much guarantee that they will come in exactly the same format as the DT and Trivium albums. I mean, everyone loves a digipak (apart from Nick, apparently), but mix it up, RR!

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:11:53 PM »
Speaking of jewel cases though, I love the Kscope / Burning shed ones that have rounded edges and cardboard slipcases. Perfect.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:18:02 PM »

Pretty much this. Everything that isn't a jewel case is pretty much prone to damage whenever I move. And I hate cardboard slipcases as well.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
The digipack of the new Unexpect is fucking sexy.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 02:13:27 PM »
Antigoon kinda has a point. Since Opeth, Mastodon and Machine Head are releasing albums with special editions this month, I can pretty much guarantee that they will come in exactly the same format as the DT and Trivium albums. I mean, everyone loves a digipak (apart from Nick, apparently), but mix it up, RR!
I imagine that by doing the same format they can save some money.  Same process to put it together every time, same raw materials, and no need for new designs of cases.  I just don't hold it against a label doing something like that, it makes sense.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »

I used to be like this and I passed up on some special editions because of this, but nowadays it's pretty hard to ignore digipacks unless you're willing to pass on stuff like 5.1 mixes or bonus dvds.

Cardboard sleeves suck hard though, I bought Sigur Ros () online without knowing what it meant and when it got home I almost threw it out the window, what a worthless format.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »

Pretty much this. Everything that isn't a jewel case is pretty much prone to damage whenever I move. And I hate cardboard slipcases as well.

Yep.  And while you can always easily swap out a damaged jewel case, any damage to these cardboard things is permanent.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
The special edition of Black Clouds... was a pile of shit.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 04:28:10 PM »
Speaking of jewel cases though, I love the Kscope / Burning shed ones that have rounded edges and cardboard slipcases. Perfect.
Yeah, those are great.

I find them both more aesthetically pleasing than regular jewel cases and they feel sturdier, though I don't know if they really are.

I also like the gatefold digipaks too. They fit on my CD rack and look pretty nice too! The kscope digipaks though are weirdly sized and don't fit that well on my CD racks as a result. They are very nice and feel sturdy, but it's kind of annoying finding a spot to fit them in, at least for me it is.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »
I actually thought when I came to this thread, given how odd band names are these days, that this was gonna be an appreciation thread for some indie band  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »
If the booklet wasn't glued to the package I'd have a lot more praise for it.   

I'll go out on a limb now and say that the next Rush release will not suffer from this.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »

Well, that's kinda my point. It's not special because it's become the norm. The new norm is like pretty much 10 times better than the old norm. That's kinda what I'm getting at  :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »
No, it's not. All these digipacks are generally flimsey and not easily replaced. I've seen exactly 1 type of special packaging actually durable and awesome enough for me to want to pay extra money for. And it's not that I don't like deviations from the norm, I wish EVERYONE used the cases Ksope does because those are fucking awesome, especially for 2 disc sets.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
I appreciate my package all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »
No, it's not. All these digipacks are generally flimsey and not easily replaced. I've seen exactly 1 type of special packaging actually durable and awesome enough for me to want to pay extra money for. And it's not that I don't like deviations from the norm, I wish EVERYONE used the cases Ksope does because those are fucking awesome, especially for 2 disc sets.

I don't think these ones have been that flimsy. Those kscope ones are pretty nice too, though I've bought a few which wound up to be cracked or something much to my dismay.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 04:20:08 AM »
They're not just for KScope, it's just that you rarely see them used (for whatever reason). They're called Super Jewel Cases, and a lot of artists have used them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 04:55:34 AM »
If the booklet wasn't glued to the package I'd have a lot more praise for it.   

Yeah, this pissed me off with DT, and today I bought Opeth and it is the exact same format.  I think Trivium was the same fucking thing too.  I mean why glue the booklet, how fucking hard is that to read.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 05:16:57 AM »
Out of all the music-related things I own, the package I love the most is this one:

Otherwise, I love pretty much all cd's that aren't the 'normal' plastic with booklet and cd inside, I love Digibooks and most limited editions etc.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »
At first I wondered "why the fuck did I get this", and then I saw the incredible packaging and it won me over.

Oh, and the music of course  ;D

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
At first I wondered "why the fuck did I get this", and then I saw the incredible packaging and it won me over.

The picture isn't working for me. What is it?

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:55:11 PM by FretMuppet »

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »

The picture isn't working for me. What is it?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-08-15/ziftdyJgjzvoxynAuFixazvjwGchvDaGHbAeCsGbiHnvEyoforBjeJdnvcIq/anesthetize.jpg.scaled500.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1316375652&Signature=93OMs4w7eCiatEJCpbBotyjftB4%3D

HOLY FUCK SON

Lucky guy! I got the CD/DVD/Blu-ray one, I think it's awesome too. Steve Wilson knows how to treat the fans

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »
Its fantastic! Steven Wilson and Kscope in general have never disappointed with their packaging quality  ;D

The CD/Blu-ray version is still an amazing bundle though

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »
Its fantastic! Steven Wilson and Kscope in general have never disappointed with their packaging quality  ;D

The CD/Blu-ray version is still an amazing bundle though

True say. Even their two-disc packages are in those lovely digibooks