Author Topic: ADTOE And BC&SL v. First Impressions  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: ADTOE And BC&SL v. First Impressions
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 03:03:30 AM »
My problem with BC&SL is that it didn't survive the test of time very good. Right now it's TCOT and SF that will get some replays. Really like the first part of ANTR but I don't like skipping songs and I often have to do that for the second half.

ADTOE has very good potential to survive. I can't conclude anything right now but there are much more memorable moments for me on the new record. It took some runs to truly grasp the CD and BMU, BMD and Outcry are the only songs that doesn't do anything special for me right now. Hopefully they will eventually.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 05:43:37 AM »
I liked BC&SL on first listen, but ADTOE has a much better reaction for me.  For one thing right off the bat, I don't hear any songs I dislike.  That's a good thing, and something that hasn't happened since, well, SFAM.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 05:49:50 AM »
I liked BC&SL on first listen, but ADTOE has a much better reaction for me.  For one thing right off the bat, I don't hear any songs I dislike.  That's a good thing, and something that hasn't happened since, well, SFAM.

For me I wouldn't say I didn't like some songs but they didn't grab me.  I did love Octavarium from start to finish but I do agree with you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
I had high expectations for BC&SL and even higher for ADTOE. I was underwhelmed after the first listens for both albums. But already after about five full listens its surpassed BC&SL. The album sounds so fresh and has a bunch of variety throughout. Before it released I was betting I would like it more and its true. There is less faults its as simple as that.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »
It is my firm belief that their 12th album will use all the charts from the songs off of Awake.

:biggrin:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
I cared a lot more about BC&SL simply because I was still in my DT phase at the time. When I listened to this ADTOE, I wasn't blown away, but it also exceeded my personal expectations (which were kind of low, but higher than BCSL). And after one full listen, I would probably say that this album is better than Black Clouds... although I dunno if anything on the album will top TCOT.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »
It is my firm belief that their 12th album will use all the charts from the songs off of Awake.

I believe their next album will be off the charts.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 05:00:47 PM »

I believe their next album will be off the charts.

I believe their next album will be #1 on the charts.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
BCaSL I thought was amazing first listen, then second listen it had already deteriorated severely in quality.

ADtOE was amazing first listen, and still is.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
I cared a lot more about BC&SL simply because I was still in my DT phase at the time. When I listened to this ADTOE, I wasn't blown away, but it also exceeded my personal expectations (which were kind of low, but higher than BCSL). And after one full listen, I would probably say that this album is better than Black Clouds... although I dunno if anything on the album will top TCOT.

Funny... I thought BC&SL was awful, with TCOT being one of the worst songs on it.  Tastes, eh?!

Offline Montsegur97

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 11:48:45 PM »
TCOT could of been amazing had the lyrics not been so terrible.  If you just don't listen to the words (especially during the heavier riffs), it's a great song, but when I pay attention, I just think B-Movie in my head, and a terrible B-Movie, not one where you go "Hmm, that was OK!"  Over ADToE is significantly better cause there's only 2-3 songs I still can't get into where as on BCSL I could only get into 3 songs total.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »
TCOT could of been amazing had the lyrics not been so terrible.  If you just don't listen to the words (especially during the heavier riffs), it's a great song, but when I pay attention, I just think B-Movie in my head, and a terrible B-Movie, not one where you go "Hmm, that was OK!"  Over ADToE is significantly better cause there's only 2-3 songs I still can't get into where as on BCSL I could only get into 3 songs total.

I have nothing against the lyrics of TCOT, I just think the melodies for those sections are weak. That song has the most amazing intro and outro ever, but the middle is straightforward heavy riffage, with the vocal melodies following the chord progression. But the lyrics have a wonderful quirkiness to them that makes the song unique.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
TCOT lyrics are making me uptight.  :yeahright
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2011, 12:00:35 AM »
But that's no accident. ;)

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2011, 12:03:12 AM »

But it is a nightmare to remember.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 12:07:40 AM »

But it is a nightmare to remember.

NO IT'S NOT. STOP CROSSING THE STREAMS. THOSE ARE DIFFERENT SONGS.