Author Topic: A Dramatic Turn of Events - Unmemorable? Unremarkable?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
Re: A Dramatic Turn of Events - Unmemorable? Unremarkable?
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »
Pop albums might be even harder to judge after only one or two listens because of the sheer number of songs. Even if the songs are all short and straightforward, if there are 15 of them, it's going to take a while to absorb everything.

Well, at least for me, the simpler the music the easier it is to have a firm opinion quickly.  It's rare that I hear a pop tune and have my opinion change much later on, and when it does, it's usually because I want to dislike it for reasons unrelated to the music and I'm lying to myself.

Give me 15 pop tunes that total 52:47 over a 70+ minute DT monster like ADToE any day.  (As long as we're talking about quick absorbtion, of course.   :lol  )

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 10:05:57 AM »
Pop albums might be even harder to judge after only one or two listens because of the sheer number of songs. Even if the songs are all short and straightforward, if there are 15 of them, it's going to take a while to absorb everything.

Well, at least for me, the simpler the music the easier it is to have a firm opinion quickly.  It's rare that I hear a pop tune and have my opinion change much later on, and when it does, it's usually because I want to dislike it for reasons unrelated to the music and I'm lying to myself.

I know exactly where you're coming from. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Irock

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:32 AM »
I think most albums are easy to swallow on first listen. But that's because they're much simpler. For example, when Eminem's last album immediately clicked with me and I remembered all the songs on first listen. But something like that doesn't stick with me like a Dream Theater album does.

I've gotta say, this album is really growing on me the more I listen to it, and I'm remembering the songs now.

It RAAAAAAAAWWWKS :metal

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »
Most albums I can "get" after 1 or 2 listens, and my opinion stays pretty constant.  So if I think of an album as a 7 after 1 listen, it will always be a 6, 7 or 8 with me, unless my music taste drastically change.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
I always have a problem remember parts not because they aren't good, its just remembering one Dream Theater song is like remember 3 regular length songs. I did like this album from the first listen. But I had this issue where I get a melody stuck in my head the whole day and not remember which song it was. i.e. I wasn't to big on BITS when I first heard it. The next day I had "feeling myself slip away" stuck in my head.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
I am on my 5th spin and it hasn't grabbed me yet
It is a great album, but not sure where it stands in comparison to other DT albums
I will give it another five spins before I am sure either way

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »
I liked the album right away but yeah it did take a few listens to "understand" everything. I feel that a lot of people (including me) just listen to music and also doing something else on the internet but instead just gotta sit without having any other distractions and really focus like its a long movie then it's easier to grasp everything. 

Offline Millais

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 11:08:39 AM »
Certainly not.

/thread

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies