Author Topic: A Dramatic Turn of Events - Unmemorable? Unremarkable?  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Irock

A Dramatic Turn of Events - Unmemorable? Unremarkable?
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »
I keep hearing people say that the album is a grower and that the more and more you listen to it, the better it gets. But I also see the majority of people REALLY praising it only two days after release. However, I'm not really at the point where I can praise it or even say it's better than their last album. I'm having a hard time remembering the songs or even going "WOW!" while listening to them, which is really driving me nuts.

I think almost every Dream Theater song/album has required me to listen to it quite a few times before I can truly appreciate it. I remember listening to Awake a couple times and thinking "What the hell is this album? That has to be one of Dream Theater's worst albums. There aren't any good songs on it." but today it's one of my favorites, and Voices is my favorite song in the world. Additionally, I didn't really like On the Backs of Angels much at first, but after listening to it many times, I started to love it, and it currently resides as my favorite song on the album, while it's close to the bottom of everyone's rankings for the album. Maybe I really like it the best because I have all of it memorized?

I think what I'm getting at is, how many times have you listened to the new album? How many times did it take you to listen to it before you loved it? Am I the only one who's having trouble remembering the songs, and the only one who needs to remember Dream Theater's songs before I can love them? I'm really hoping that this is a huge grower and I just haven't listened to it enough.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: A Dramatic Turn of Events - Unmemorable? Unremarkable?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
I loved it after my first listen and second listen.  I still can't remember much about a lot of it though.  But I know when I'm listening to it I like it a lot.  The only song I can really remember is BMUBMD because of the simplicity and OTBOA because I heard it as a single.  Regardless, I had a huge smile on my face when listening to this record.  When I first heard the last album I was confused and dismayed by a lot of the stuff I heard.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »
I think what I'm getting at is, how many times have you listened to the new album?

I should probably see a shrink about it.

How many times did it take you to listen to it before you loved it?

Not sure if I'm all the way there yet.  Certain things have grown (the tickle section), I think my feelings on TITL are mostly fully realized, but other parts of the album haven't clicked with more or still bug me.

Am I the only one who's having trouble remembering the songs, and the only one who needs to remember Dream Theater's songs before I can love them?

Probably not.  The songs were definitely harder to remember than the last couple albums, but I attribute that to more in depth composition.

No.

I'm really hoping that this is a huge grower

That's what she said.

Sorry, it was too easy.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »
It's different for everyone but typically it takes many listens to fully absorb any DT album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »
In regard to the op question, absolutely not.

i've probably listened to it 12-15 times now but it was the 5th or 6th when it clicked as awesome. Before that it was enjoyable and I was picking different things out each time to focus on.
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
After first listen:

-Could remember BMU,BMD but wasn't that into it.
-Forgot all of Lost Not Forgotten (irony much?) except the chorus.  Enjoyed it when listening, though, for the most part.
-Loved This is the Life while listening, but it didn't stick with me all that long afterward.
-Loved Bridges in the Sky while listening, but nothing other than the chorus really stuck with me very long afterward.
-Forgot most of Outcry, and didn't get all that into it while listening, either.
-Enjoyed Far From Heaven while listening, but then it kind of slipped from my mind entirely.
-Loved Breaking All Illusions.  Not all of it stuck with me afterward, but a lot of it did.
-Loved Beneath the Surface while listening, and the song was stuck in my head for two days afterward.

After nine or ten listens:

I can sing along with most of the songs, and most of them have taken turns getting stuck in my head.  Some I like less than others, but I enjoy them all.  The only song that's still really not clicking with me is Outcry.  For some odd reason, I can't remember remember the melody of the chorus of that song.  Although at this point I do enjoy it immensely while listening to it, it's just not all that memorable to me for some reason.  Still waiting for it to fully click I guess.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!  =D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline InertSolo

• Images and Turds
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »
Although I do think this album is pretty good, I find it hilarious that people who have heard the album from let's say September 9th (when the RR stream was out iirc) to now (the 15th) can say that it's a grower when it hasn't even been a week. I've personally listened to it quite a few times though (around 7 spins of the album as a whole, not counting when stuff shows up in shuffle on my mp3 player) and it didn't take me that long to form my opinion on it. I could just be in the minority I dunno but a grower in my view is something you have to allow a pretty good amount of time to absorb, not 6 days.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
The album instantly clicked for me, but i like SO much more than I did on the first listen. It is a grower, but also an album that I liked on the first listen. Only SDOIT and I&W have done this for me as well, and that's why ADTOE, SDOIT, and I&W are my three favorite DT albums.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
I can definitely agree that all DT albums are growers some less than others. There's so much going on in a lot of their songs that they require a lot of listens.

After two listens ADTOE is in the middle of the pack. The anticipation was really high, about double the amount as BC&SL releasing. Don't worry you're not the only one. I was underwhelmed with BC&SL but after two years some of the songs are in my top 20 or 30 when they weren't even close. Just keep listening and turn it up loud, I know the new album will get better and better.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
I feel the same as the OP. The album is my second Awake: consistent but plain and without remarkable highs.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »

I can sing along with most of the songs, and most of them have taken turns getting stuck in my head.  Some I like less than others, but I enjoy them all.  The only song that's still really not clicking with me is Outcry.  For some odd reason, I can't remember remember the melody of the chorus of that song.  Although at this point I do enjoy it immensely while listening to it, it's just not all that memorable to me for some reason.  Still waiting for it to fully click I guess.

That's funny..... the only chorus really sticking in my head right now is Outcry.... ;D

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »

That's funny..... the only chorus really sticking in my head right now is Outcry.... ;D

:lol  We are not a match.  But glad you're enjoying the song!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Irock

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'll keep listening to it constantly. I'm sure I'll start to love it before I see Dream Theater for the first time next month. I heard in an interview that they're going to play a lot of songs from the new album, so I better. :laugh:

And thanks for the welcomes!

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
I wish I had time to read everyone's replies, but don't, so I'll just reply to the OP.
No, you're not the only one...
With the 3 albums that preceded this one, I fell in love at first listen. I don't necessarily think that's a great thing, because I don't listen to them at all anymore; it seems the ones that I need to listen to time and time again are the ones that stay with me forever.
That being said, I think this album is very different for them. Very different. It's obviously a strong album because I didn't find myself wanting to click the next track button on the cd player. I think it's one of those albums like SFAM or even TOT that will take a little while. I'm working 11 hour days and have a house and kid to take care of, so I've only gotten through the disc once. I plan on listening to it one more time and then putting it away for a few days and then getting it back out. I don't know why, but with the albums that I mentioned, along with 6DOIT, when I do that I'm able to get the most out the music.
So, I'm not going to try to pick a favorite song at this point, or make too many comments about the album. I will, however, say that although I'm sort of against the sections with the electronic drums, they do seem to work somehow. But there are so many new things on this album that it's going to take me a while, though I'm getting the feeling that when it does fully open up for me it will be a monster. One other comment I have, though, is I'm thinking that MP was the driving force for the heaviness, because for the most part, I think it disappeared.
That's my thought for now. All you can do is relax and listen to it for what it is, and hopefully it will find its way into your head and heart.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
The album instantly clicked for me, but i like SO much more than I did on the first listen. It is a grower, but also an album that I liked on the first listen.

:tup
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »
DT music is anything but immediate. It's not like a standard mainstream song where 10-15 seconds is enough to hear everything you need to know about it and determine if you like it. It takes time to digest and process. Sometimes a song will immediately click, but usually it's not until the song becomes ingrained in your head that you're able to really decide how much you like it.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 05:31:01 PM »
Here's one thing I like:  theres nothing really embarrasing about the album.  JR didn't do any crazy bebot stuff, no MP terrible growling all over the place, no introducing of brothers, etc.  I could recommend that somebody listen to this album, unlike the last one, without having to excuse those parts.

I am actually loving it on the second listen, after only "liking it a good amount" the first time though.  Good job DT!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »
I''m pretty sure you are in the minority around here.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
Here's one thing I like:  theres nothing really embarrasing about the album.  ...no introducing of brothers, etc.  I could recommend that somebody listen to this album, unlike the last one, without having to excuse those parts.

:omg: :omg:
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 05:59:18 PM »
Compared to the last couple of albums, the songs on this one are definitely deeper compositions. It is a grower, and is actually a very consistently good album. There isn't a bad song (although BMU,BMD is slightly lame) and the ballads are fantastic, some of the best DT have ever done. In general, it feels fresh and has a kind of freedom about it that the last few haven't had.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »

:lol  We are not a match.  But glad you're enjoying the song!

But....we can make it work!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:  I really like the lyrics/subject matter of the song.  I'm assuming that this is the song JP or JLB was talking about a month or so ago about what happened in Egypt.  It's just... catchy to me.  I really like the lyrics in BITS and BAI also.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »
Its an intellectual thing.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:22 PM »
In regard to the op question, absolutely not.

i've probably listened to it 12-15 times now but it was the 5th or 6th when it clicked as awesome. Before that it was enjoyable and I was picking different things out each time to focus on.
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »
Here's one thing I like:  theres nothing really embarrasing about the album.  JR didn't do any crazy bebot stuff, no MP terrible growling all over the place, no introducing of brothers, etc.  I could recommend that somebody listen to this album, unlike the last one, without having to excuse those parts.

I've never had to excuse anything from BCASL.  :\

And this album is a grower. It has taken me over a month to get into some of these songs. And it's not that I sat there forcing myself to listen to them and like them. It's like listening to them planted seeds of greatness that took time to grow, and were watered every time I heard a snippet, before emerging as beautiful flowers that stuck in my mind, and I would spontaneously sing along with them.

I don't agree with people that it's a #1 DT album, or that it's the best thing since Awake (lol), but I can't help but be slightly amused by people who dismiss a Dream Theater album after only one or two listens. It's a grower.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 11:19:14 PM »
It's very different to me. I've always loved DT's music right away. I can't remember a song that I needed months or years to appreciate. BAI and BITS were PHENOMINAL the first time I listened to them, and I didn't like OTBOA and Outcry. After around 10 listens, everything stays the same.

Offline TheCor

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »
Lost Not Forgotten is the only song that instantly clicked for me on this album.  My first thoughts were "yeah it kinda reminds me of UAGM but this has to be the coolest intro to a song I've ever heard."  Then came the tickle section...I was driving alone in my car at the time and I said 'holy fuck' out loud, and I'm not one to talk to myself.  The chorus, JP's leads, and second verse in particular are extremely catchy to me as well, so this was and still is my favorite song on the album.  The rest were cool on the first listen are still growing on me more and more every time, but they just didn't have the immediate impact LNF did.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 02:24:03 AM »
I keep hearing people say that the album is a grower and that the more and more you listen to it, the better it gets. But I also see the majority of people REALLY praising it only two days after release. However, I'm not really at the point where I can praise it or even say it's better than their last album. I'm having a hard time remembering the songs or even going "WOW!" while listening to them, which is really driving me nuts.

The conclusion one would draw from that is that a majority of fans had been listening to it for a good bit longer than 2 days :angel:

Offline Irock

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 07:05:20 AM »

The conclusion one would draw from that is that a majority of fans had been listening to it for a good bit longer than 2 days :angel:
I made myself wait until I could pick up a physical copy of the album. I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Offline shantustarsun

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 07:55:36 AM »
I don't know if you can absorb what is happening with this album in 1 or 2 listens. I finally got a chance to listen with headphones and key in without distractions. This may be DT's tightest and most complex album. Some of the things they are doing are incredible!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
I don't know if you can absorb what is happening with this album in 1 or 2 listens. I finally got a chance to listen with headphones and key in without distractions. This may be DT's tightest and most complex album. Some of the things they are doing are incredible!

Exactly....  there's just too much going on, it's going to take a LOT of spins for me to absorb it.

Offline renegate

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »

It is. But I think I understand the OP when he says that the album in unmemorable. I feel like the album's been written and recorded on automatic pilot. I do not feel the emotion as I did with Octavarium or some of their great older records. My personal opinion on this is that there is everything on this album except love. I know it sound corny, but you got to love the music that you make in order to transmit emotions and I feel that FII, SC, BC&SL and ADToE are the only DT albums that lack this important ingredient.

Still, it is a grower and it is very listenable (the only "unlistenable" DT album IMO is WDADU). I just find myself sitting, emotionless, listening to the album after many turns. Had a few goosebumps in Breaking All Illusions because of the virtuosity. But that's it.

It is all very subjective. I love BC&SL intensely, even if some people said it lack emotions when it came out. So I guess now I understand what they were trying to say. I do not feel like debating, because I agree it is a great album, but I still fail to connect emotionally with it. And I think you can't really debate on that last thing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
Lots of people keep talking about how ADTOE is "a grower" and how you can't judge it after only one or two listens. This is absolutely true but it has got me to thinking: Are there any albums that you can judge after only one or two listens? :lol

I feel like I've literally only heard like 10 albums in my life where after one or two listens, I had an opinion, and it has stuck since.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 08:58:56 AM »
Lots of people keep talking about how ADTOE is "a grower" and how you can't judge it after only one or two listens. This is absolutely true but it has got me to thinking: Are there any albums that you can judge after only one or two listens? :lol

I feel like I've literally only heard like 10 albums in my life where after one or two listens, I had an opinion, and it has stuck since.

I think some are more "Catchy" first or second listen, such as FII or Awake

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 09:09:07 AM »

Dream Theater albums?  No, you're right.  Pop albums, sure.

I don't think I've ever had a DT album where my opinion didn't change significantly over time.  Most were growers, the most extreme being 6DoIT, where I thought the album was a major disappointment and grew to adore it.  FII, ToT, SC and BCaSL went the other way, SC the hardest.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »
Dream Theater albums?  No, you're right.  Pop albums, sure.

Pop albums might be even harder to judge after only one or two listens because of the sheer number of songs. Even if the songs are all short and straightforward, if there are 15 of them, it's going to take a while to absorb everything.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!