Poll

Is ADTOE the Dream Theater album you were hoping for?

Yes
209 (88.2%)
No
28 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 230

Voting closed: September 25, 2011, 06:27:45 AM

Author Topic: Is ADTOE the Dream Theater Album you were hoping for?  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: Is ADTOE the Dream Theater Album you were hoping for?
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
In a word . . . . YES.

I still have only been able to get through tracks 2 and 3 before repeating them.  I love a CD that takes time to digest.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2011, 09:33:06 AM »
I was hoping for a return to the early DT "sound" of I&W or Awake, so I answered no.

HOWEVER that is not to say that I don't immensely enjoy the album. It's fantastic, but in a different way, which is even better.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »
Ok, I've spent a ton of time with the album, and it is firmly in top 3 territory for me. I have not been this obsessed with an album (especially a DT album) since Scenes. It's more than I could have hoped for.

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2011, 11:18:57 AM »
I feel that ADTOE is more than what I was hoping for. I couldn't even imagine that it would be this great!  :biggrin:
^ This.

/agree  :tup

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 12:07:51 PM »
It is and it isn't the album I was hoping for. Generally, there seems to be a joy and a sense of experimentation that I appreciate.
As for the songs themselves, I find several of them a bit... forgettable, or something. The only two songs I absolutely love are OTBOA and BTS, the rest are ok. I supposed it's growing on me, though, I find myself liking stuff more and more every day.

But to compare it with BCSL, that album I liked from the first listen, all of it. I must've played it ten times in a row, and every single song I liked. This time, I found myself thinking it was alright. I think the intense hype around the album and how everyone seems to think it's the album of the century, all that created expectations in me that very few songs on this album could fulfill, IMO.

But this is DT. I fully expect this album to be a favorite of mine in a year or so, because that's how most of their albums have hit me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
Kind of.  Most songs I'd say were above-average, only one was below average, but there wasn't really anything that blew me away.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »
Yes and no. Musically, I feel like it has four or five strong tracks.  Vocally and melodically, I think it ranges from pretty strong, to very very safe, to at times a little boring.  One thing that MP did bring to the band were vocal ideas.  Some of these really worked (The Glass Prison, ACOS, Home, etc.)  and some did not (Constant Motion, "Day After Day..")

I actually miss MP's vocal input more than I miss his drumming on this record.  Or the presence of a drummer writing his own drum parts to be more specific.  Even though Mangini is killing it on this record, I can still tell the drums were originally programmed.  It's a little too mechanical for me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
I kinda think that MP was the driving force behind epics like Octavarium, TCOT, ACOS, and SFAM.  So, while previous albums had meh average-length songs and stunning epics, ADTOE has really good average-length songs and pretty-good epics.  The ground is more level.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
For Dream Theater's 11th studio album, I only wanted two things:

1) A killer

2) Something that sounded natural

I got the second, but I didn't get the first.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline legenden1

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »
I always know that DT will deliver but was a little disappointed with OTBOA so lowered my expectations for the rest a bit. Well, that was no need. The rest of the disc is fantastic, best since SFAM for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
Definately.
A step away from the modern metal sound and no growls. Result.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:58 PM »
I was hoping for a good Dream Theater album and I got a great one, so yeah.

this

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2011, 12:59:15 AM »
pretty much

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2011, 01:07:26 AM »
Pretty much, I love it. Best album since 6DOIT for sure. I haven't heard Dream Theater songs this inspired and beautiful since 2002. Songs like "This is the Life" and "Beneath the Surface". Both are amazing old school melody driven emotional songs. And the opener is amazing, especially the ending, the riffs are banging. Not that I didn't like Train of Thought through Black Clouds...I just like this album better. I liked Black Clouds a lot too. But I have Beneath the Surface on repeat daily, it gives me Fuzzy feelings all over!
Sig removed for being too tall.