Author Topic: Beneath The Surface Appreciation Thread  (Read 5219 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Beneath The Surface Appreciation Thread
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »
I saw a few other Appreciation threads on here, and I thought this need one. It's my favorite song from ADTOE, and is probably my favorite since Octavarium. I don't know if I've ever heard something quite so amazing. I'm glad it closed out the album, instead of the usual epic (which I still love them). I think this song is an easy top 10 for me.  :)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Beneath The Surface Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:18 PM »
Probably Petrucci's best lyrics since Lines in the Sand. I love this song a lot.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dongringo

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »
I saw a few other Appreciation threads on here, and I thought this need one. It's my favorite song from ADTOE, and is probably my favorite since Octavarium. I don't know if I've ever heard something quite so amazing. I'm glad it closed out the album, instead of the usual epic (which I still love them). I think this song is an easy top 10 for me.  :)

I couldn't agree more, except it's my favorite since 6D.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »
well, excluding the epics...it's probably my favorite since Blind Faith.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
I can comfortably say that it's my favorite DT ballad, and I'm fairly confident in saying it ranks as one of my favorite ballads of all time.  Great melody, beautiful vocals, gorgeous moog solo, powerful lyrics... the whole song just drips with emotion. 

*appreciates*
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:32:18 PM »
I can comfortably say that it's my favorite DT ballad, and I'm fairly confident in saying it ranks as one of my favorite ballads of all time.  Great melody, beautiful vocals, gorgeous moog solo, powerful lyrics... the whole song just drips with emotion. 

*appreciates*

Yep. My favorite DT ballad, with Disappear coming 2nd.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:40:57 PM »
First time I heard this song, I laughed and cried, tears of joy at the sheer beauty of it all.

It reminds me of "Feel So Low" from Porcupine Tree, in that it's a lyrically-depressing song following a crushing epic song, and is an unusual way to close such a heavy album.

The bridge after the keyboard solo is just epic, and I love when James goes up the octave in the last chorus! This is quite possibly one of the best ballads DT have ever written.

However, I have gotten to thinking about if they would ever play it live, and it would be REALLY hard to place this song in the set. How can you follow this song? You really can't... but would DT really close a show with this? The band known for epic-length show-closers? Then again, it's time for a change and it's quite possible that they could close a concert with this song (or, if I had it my way, FFH/BAI/BTS, in that sequence, as the encore).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »
You could have Disappear after BTS

Offline sagar_k

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »
Just a beautiful song. JLB has delivered one of his finest ballad performances on this one. Its become a close second favorite song on this album for me after Breaking All Illusions (sorry 'Bridges In The Sky', you're no. 3 now!  ;D ).

Online The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »
You could have Disappear after BTS

How's this for an encore:

"Space-Dye Vest"
"Beneath The Surface"
"Disappear"
"Vacant"

:lol ...  :sadpanda:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:52:08 PM »
I absolutely love this song.  It's been my most played so far.  To me, it just further demonstrates that Dream Theater is SO MUCH MORE than a billion-notes-in-your-face band.  It is both lyrically and musically satisfying all while being very unintrusive and just a delight.

However, I have gotten to thinking about if they would ever play it live, and it would be REALLY hard to place this song in the set. How can you follow this song? You really can't... but would DT really close a show with this? The band known for epic-length show-closers? Then again, it's time for a change and it's quite possible that they could close a concert with this song (or, if I had it my way, FFH/BAI/BTS, in that sequence, as the encore).

A good question.  To a certain degree, I wonder if they'll do it what they did with Hollow Years and just really epic-a-fy the later portion of the song.  Everything after the square-wave solo seems very primed for epicification.  On the other hand, I kind of hope they don't and just follow Breaking all Illusions with it.  I suppose we'll find out.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline autumn13

• Dance with Fire,Spirit Guide...
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
I'm so glad it made it onto the record...wondering how many more "complete" gems like this one JP has in the vault?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
Absolutely beautiful song, and totally worthy as the album closer. Very nice lyrics as well, and I liked the ELP touch in JR's square lead tone. And I have to say it again: It's a very nice change to have a shorter, acoustic-driven song as an album closer.

Everything after the square-wave solo seems very primed for epicification.

Definitely. The last chorus almost screams for a full-band entrance. I definitely wouldn't mind if they did that (without overdoing the outro with whatnot); but somehow, I'd find it great if they mixed things up a little bit and do two or three acoustic numbers in-between and put BTS at the end of it. I also think that it might work well as a set closer (last song before the encore or something like that).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »

-Marc.

I think they could do it after an epic MM drum solo (a la Rush) where JLB, JP, and JR come out on stage and play this all seated together while MM takes a short break.  Incredible song and yes, one of my top 2 DT ballads, right after Spirit Carries On (for reasons other than SCO is a great song).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
I can't remember the last time any song by any artist hit me as hard as this one.  Beautiful, tragic, end heartrending.  I would probably have to go back to Solitary Shell, but maybe even as far back as IQ's Speak to Me or Marillion's Sugarmice.  This song wrote deep poetry on my soul at the first listen.

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »
Beautiful and heart-breaking song, it's probably my favorite song in the album... Might have something to do with the theme, though :/

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 12:31:54 PM »
I swear Petrucci's been watching my life for the past few months because the lyrics describe them perfectly.

Definitely my favorite on the album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
I swear Petrucci's been watching my therapy sessions for the past few months because the lyrics describe them perfectly.

Definitely my favorite on the album.

Fixed for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
Truly a wonderful song, my favorite only next to the magnificent Bridges in the sky.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
The best ballad on the album. The last chorus (when he sings an octave higher) is one of the best moments on ADTOE.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »
One of the most beautiful pieces of music the band has ever written (up there with Surrounded, Space Dye Vest, Wait for Sleep and Disappear).  Without a doubt. :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 03:24:56 PM »
Based on the overwhelming love, hopefully it is a no brainer for them to play it on tour.  Tears will be shed on my part, especially if they carry the end into a long instrumental.

Offline Saiko

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »
I normally skip ballads, but for the first time since I can remember I'll actually just listen to the ballads on this album some times and skip the rest of the songs. BTS is by far the best to me.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
I normally skip ballads, but for the first time since I can remember I'll actually just listen to the ballads on this album some times and skip the rest of the songs. BTS is by far the best to me.

This too.  On about half of DT's albums, my least favorite song is a ballad.  On this one, a ballad is quite possibly my favorite. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline volwrath

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
One of the most beautiful pieces of music the band has ever written (up there with Surrounded, Space Dye Vest, Wait for Sleep and Disappear).  Without a doubt. :)

I loved all the songs you mentioned, but this song is very underwhelming, and is too sappy sweet for me.  It makes me cringe much like Larry David.  But at least they put it at the end so at least I can end the album on BAI.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
Music's okay, lyrics are not that good IMO.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
I think it's the anti-"Wind Beneath My Wings".
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
Anyone else think this song would work well doing a heavier version of it live a la "The Silent Man" from LSFNY?  I love that version of TSM and I think BTS lends itself to this style if they wanted to do it.  Just a thought  ;D

Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite tracks on the album  :tup

Offline jsem

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
Amazing song. Top 20.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
Best song on the album. Extremely beautiful, with great melodies, lyrics, and emotion. Bravo DT!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
I'd go as far as to say it's their worst ballad. Not a bad song in itself, but up against Vacant, Dissapear etc...no way.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »
I put Vacant and Disappear in a different category.  They are soft songs, but they don't really feel like "ballads," IMO, because (1) they are fairly complex, even though they sound stripped down, and (2) they are very dark, which ballads usually aren't. 

But anyway, back on topic, this is my favorite ballad on the album, and definitely up there among DT's best ballads of all time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
Love this song. Started learning the basic chords and vocal melody for piano. It's pretty easy, but it sounds SO nice and works well to improv on as well...

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
I LOVE this song. Amazing closer. Hands down the best ballad they've written at least since Octavarium. I knew since the snippet it would be an awesome song. I craved it since I heard it on YouTube and when I finally heard the full version, even though my expectations were high, somehow the song surpassed them! It's moving, the lyrics are great, James' voice is flawless, the orchestration, and it's the golden bow that JR puts to confirm his prowess in this album. One of top 3 favorites of ADTOE without a doubt :heart

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
This album has such amazing ballads... much better than the ones on the most recent albums.