Poll

After listening to A Dramatic Turn of Events Do You Think Dream Theater Is In Need of a New Producer?

Yes
63 (25.8%)
No
181 (74.2%)

Total Members Voted: 238

Voting closed: December 13, 2011, 08:50:40 PM

Author Topic: Dream Theater: In Need of a New Producer?  (Read 10267 times)

Offline Tumdace

Re: Dream Theater: In Need of a New Producer?
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »
For now, no. If the next album is like this new one, then definately no.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
Honestly, I think had you used language like "could have benefitted from" instead of "need," I think you would be seeing very different poll results.
All right. In 90 days I will word it in that tone.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
Hi folks, I'm new here (but I'm a DT fan since 1998 and I was on MP's forum long ago...). ADTOE is perfectly produced by JP. I can't see any reason for an outside producer. And I don't want DT to become more "radio friendly". They should have all the control over what they are doing.

Thank you! And welcome!  :metal
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2011, 03:15:34 AM »
You know which bunch of people will stop the quote pyramid and cease to hijack my thread?

Wait, you just said they're successful.  Why do they need a producer?
Because (arguably) their songs are good but they could be much better. I feel people here are praising too much a B+ album. How many here would they place this new album above I&W, Awake, SFAM or 6DOIT? (Jamesman doesn't count, in the first week he ranked BC&SL as #1 LOL!)

Definitely above Awake.  Quite possibly above I&W, but too early to tell.
For me it's definitely above Awake and way way way above SFAM. I don't think it's going to top SDOIT but it's battling I&W for my second favourite.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2011, 03:16:11 AM »
Honestly, I think had you used language like "could have benefitted from" instead of "need," I think you would be seeing very different poll results.
That will skew the results and give you the result you want to get. That's cheating, and meaningless.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
Honestly, I think had you used language like "could have benefited from" instead of "need," I think you would be seeing very different poll results.
That will skew the results and give you the result you want to get. That's cheating, and meaningless.
First of all... oxford comma.
Second, fine! Next time there won't be a change in the TOOOOOONE.  >:(

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
Yeah!  They should hire me. I could make their Jams sound very fresh.  :tup

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »
Do they NEED a new producer? No.

Could the right producer make them even better? Yes, of course. Let's look at one band in particular: Iron Maiden. I honestly think that Maiden wouldn't be the band that they were in the 1980s if they hadn't developed such a good relationship with Martin Birch. A band can be good without an outside producer, but find the right one and omg, the sky can be the limit. The thing is, at this stage in their careers, can DT find that guy and make it work in one album? Maiden grew across the course of several Birch produced albums, after all; I don't know if they're going to be hoping they click with a producer in a few years when Jordan is in his 60s, after all.

The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
emindead is such a different poster these days, it's weird

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
I wouldn't say different... maybe disappointed with this new album, and this frustration maybe channeled into the posts you read. But maybe I'm in a phase where there's no single band that fulfills my desires. I feel (musically) in an empty room (in general, with all music).

Offline Jarzombek

Re: Dream Theater Needs a New Producer?
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2011, 01:30:43 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
With the word "needs" there, no. ADTOE showed me they can do fine with a LACK of MP as producer.

Still, as great as ADTOE is IMO, a new producer in the mix would be welcome to see how it would work out.

James is 100% correct.  If the band is open to it, there is no reason not to bring out outside producer in to approach the music from out outside perspective.  But you never know how that is going to work out.  Even with a very seasoned, experienced band, a new producer can come in and create an end result that isn't true to the band's vision and ultimately ends up being disappointing. 

And, again, as James pointed out, using the word "need" is incredibly presumptuous, arrogant, and rude.  Objectively speaking, the growing fan base and album sales show that what DT has been doing has been working.  Could it be improved with things like an outside producer?  That is open to debate, and I'm sure the answers will range across the board.  But the minute you start throwing words like "need" in the mix, you are assuming that you know better than an already-successful band.

That's a very good point, and it's something that I have been guilty of myself at times.  Objectively speaking, you are right, asserting that Dream Theater "NEED" an outside producer is arrogant, and from now on I am going to try to refrain from expressing it in those terms.

With that said, I think Dream Theater would benefit from having some objective ears in the area of production.  I have not always agreed with the mixing choices they have made and their latest album is no exception to this.  I LOVE the new songs and the album sounds decent from a sonic standpoint, but the production could have sharper, imho. 

There was a post on here about how "Images & Words" was used for inspiration for "A Dramatic Turn of Events" a while back.  That post motivated me to put the tracks on my iPod in a playlist arranged in such a way that it played songs from each album band and forth, first a song from I&W, then a song from ADTOE, through both albums.  Triggered snare sound aside, it's pretty amazing how incredible "Images and Words" sounds even now.  If I'm being honest, I can't say that ADTOE has the same sonic quality.  Although I would not say it sounds "bad" at all.  I just think it could sound better.

I'm not an expert at this, which is why I hired an expert to produce and mix my album.  I think there is a myth out there that one has to relinquish some level of creative control in order to have an "outside producer" work on your album.  I can only speak my personal experience, but when I hired an expert to produce and mix my band's album, I didn't give any any creative control at all, and in fact, I got some really, really good quality feedback from him that, I think, ultimately resulted in a better sounding album.   

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
As others have stated, need? No. Could benefit from? Perhaps.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes,yes,yes,yes,yes.  Yes.  Yes.

YES.

After listening to nothing but ADTOE on headphones for 2 weeks, I finally subsumed it into my normal work rotation of "all studio recordings - WDADU + Ytse Jam" on random shuffle; and the difference was stunning.  I don't know the correct words to say, not being an audiophile, but it just sounded..........lifeless compared to some of the others, like Awake and FII.  The music itself is awesome, but audio-wise, just a dead fish. No character.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »
I think ADTOE sounds quite 'boxy' compared to their other albums. SFAM has it a bit too.. but there it isn't as dramatic. And the vocals sound a bit too pumped up for me. Cymbals don't really sound real enough I guess.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2011, 03:29:58 AM »
With the word "needs" there, no. ADTOE showed me they can do fine with a LACK of MP as producer.

Still, as great as ADTOE is IMO, a new producer in the mix would be welcome to see how it would work out.

James is 100% correct.  If the band is open to it, there is no reason not to bring out outside producer in to approach the music from out outside perspective.  But you never know how that is going to work out.  Even with a very seasoned, experienced band, a new producer can come in and create an end result that isn't true to the band's vision and ultimately ends up being disappointing. 

And, again, as James pointed out, using the word "need" is incredibly presumptuous, arrogant, and rude.  Objectively speaking, the growing fan base and album sales show that what DT has been doing has been working.  Could it be improved with things like an outside producer?  That is open to debate, and I'm sure the answers will range across the board.  But the minute you start throwing words like "need" in the mix, you are assuming that you know better than an already-successful band.

That's a very good point, and it's something that I have been guilty of myself at times.  Objectively speaking, you are right, asserting that Dream Theater "NEED" an outside producer is arrogant, and from now on I am going to try to refrain from expressing it in those terms.

With that said, I think Dream Theater would benefit from having some objective ears in the area of production.  I have not always agreed with the mixing choices they have made and their latest album is no exception to this.  I LOVE the new songs and the album sounds decent from a sonic standpoint, but the production could have sharper, imho. 

There was a post on here about how "Images & Words" was used for inspiration for "A Dramatic Turn of Events" a while back.  That post motivated me to put the tracks on my iPod in a playlist arranged in such a way that it played songs from each album band and forth, first a song from I&W, then a song from ADTOE, through both albums.  Triggered snare sound aside, it's pretty amazing how incredible "Images and Words" sounds even now.  If I'm being honest, I can't say that ADTOE has the same sonic quality.  Although I would not say it sounds "bad" at all.  I just think it could sound better.

I'm not an expert at this, which is why I hired an expert to produce and mix my album.  I think there is a myth out there that one has to relinquish some level of creative control in order to have an "outside producer" work on your album.  I can only speak my personal experience, but when I hired an expert to produce and mix my band's album, I didn't give any any creative control at all, and in fact, I got some really, really good quality feedback from him that, I think, ultimately resulted in a better sounding album.

I agree that they don't need a producer. The music on ADTOE is a testament to that, but I do agree with Kirk that they would benefit from having a one with objective ears in the sound production. Ever since 6DOIT I find their sound to be lacking and ADTOE is no exception. My main gripe with the sound is the bad mastering/lack of dynamics. Having heard one fan OTBOA mix from the stems with twice the dynamic range confirms that. Still the mix/production could have been better. I&W still to this day sounds great and has better sonic quality than ADTOE or any of their recent albums for that matter.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2011, 03:33:36 AM »
Honestly, I think had you used language like "could have benefited from" instead of "need," I think you would be seeing very different poll results.

I'm not sure you know what the oxford comma is.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2011, 04:42:15 AM »

I'm not sure you know what the oxford comma is.

I'm sure Emindead alluded to Ariich's post, where he used a comma just after the word "cheating" or more precisely before the "and", which is an Oxford comma I guess. May be wrong though...

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »
No, but I think Paul Northfield has done nothing to improve their sound and even lean the other way, I had the same response when he joined the Rush camp. I feel Terry Brown was a much better choice and got better sound out of the mix.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2011, 07:13:44 AM »
I'm sure Emindead alluded to Ariich's post, where he used a comma just after the word "cheating" or more precisely before the "and", which is an Oxford comma I guess. May be wrong though...

B.Lee

It's not. An "Oxford comma" is when you put a comma before a conjunction that's part of a series of three words or more, i.e., "Dream Theater is a band founded by John Petrucci, John Myung, and Mike Portnoy" as opposed to "Dream Theater is a band founded by John Petrucci, John Myung and Mike Portnoy." Neither is correct. Depending on what you're writing for, you might be required to omit it (like, if you're writing for a newspaper and space is an issue).

Perhaps if emindead would start focusing on his own English instead of trying to pick apart the English of native speakers all the time (and trying to redefine what "hero" means) he'd finally start showing some progress after all these years   ;) ;) ;)

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2011, 07:23:15 AM »
This
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2011, 07:37:03 AM »

B.Lee

It's not. An "Oxford comma" is when you put a comma before a conjunction that's part of a series of three words or more, i.e., "Dream Theater is a band founded by John Petrucci, John Myung, and Mike Portnoy" as opposed to "Dream Theater is a band founded by John Petrucci, John Myung and Mike Portnoy." Neither is correct. Depending on what you're writing for, you might be required to omit it (like, if you're writing for a newspaper and space is an issue).

Perhaps if emindead would start focusing on his own English instead of trying to pick apart the English of native speakers all the time (and trying to redefine what "hero" means) he'd finally start showing some progress after all these years   ;) ;) ;)

OK, I thought it worked with only 2 words also. So, how do you call that sort of comma : it's not really typical or is it? (I'm not a native English speaker).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »
OK, I thought it worked with only 2 words also. So, how do you call that sort of comma : it's not really typical or is it? (I'm not a native English speaker).

B.Lee

Nope, it's gotta be three or more. That's just a normal comma. There might be a special name for it. I dunno. if there is, it's probably not really worth knowing anyway.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »

B.Lee

Nope, it's gotta be three or more. That's just a normal comma. There might be a special name for it. I dunno. if there is, it's probably not really worth knowing anyway.

OK, thanks for the heads up; Will say it's not typical for a series of only two words then.

B.Lee

PS : 1/11th of your posts, and I thought 700 was rather high. Pffff....

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »

If you've only got 2 items in your list, a comma is unnecessary and. technically, improper usage.  I think ariich was using it deliberately for effect, though, to add a pause. 

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
I'm not sure why Northfield is so highly rated to begin with. I wasn't thrilled with most of his Rish mixes either... ???
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »
I'm not sure why Northfield is so highly rated to begin with. I wasn't thrilled with most of his Rish mixes either... ???

:rollin

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »

But his use of commas is impeccable.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »
 :rollin

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »
I wouldn't say different... maybe disappointed with this new album, and this frustration maybe channeled into the posts you read. But maybe I'm in a phase where there's no single band that fulfills my desires. I feel (musically) in an empty room (in general, with all music).
I pity you. Really.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Needs a New Producer?
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »

This.