Author Topic: ADTOE Mixing/Mastering  (Read 3955 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ADTOE Mixing/Mastering
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 02:47:38 AM »
I love the mix as well. I really liked the sound on Black Clouds, and the overall production and mastering seems to be pretty similar on this new one, but you can definitely hear the difference from getting someone else to mix, and I think Wallace did a fantastic job!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
The vinyl version sounds a bit better. But man, in LNF, Mangini's hi hats are way too high in the mix. It sound better than the CD in my opinion.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline weezul

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »
the producer's job is to oversee the entire project, in larger projects they are usually the ones making decisions such as recording method, who gets to spend the money on what, and musical contributions that can range from something wide like "change the length of this section to make it better" or something as minute as "change that Min7b5 for a full dim7 it will enhance the voice leading" and more often than not on smaller scale projects, doing the mixing and possibly even mastering.

oh and i think the album sounds great. The drums are maybe a bit quiet for my taste but that's all I feel.
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 06:24:41 PM »
I really like the mix on this. The drums could be brought up a single smidgeon more, but you can hear everyone in it, including *GASP* THE BASS.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »
the producer's job is to oversee the entire project, in larger projects they are usually the ones making decisions such as recording method, who gets to spend the money on what, and musical contributions that can range from something wide like "change the length of this section to make it better" or something as minute as "change that Min7b5 for a full dim7 it will enhance the voice leading" and more often than not on smaller scale projects, doing the mixing and possibly even mastering.

oh and i think the album sounds great. The drums are maybe a bit quiet for my taste but that's all I feel.

Only seen Voice Leading mentioned twice on this forum, and the other one was me  :biggrin: Music Theory FTW  :tup

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »
the perfectly balanced crispness of adtoe with the balls of train of thought = the perfect mix. 

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »
Ok noob here with my first post. DT fan for about 8 years (since TOT) but grew to like their older stuff a whole lot. ADTOE has to be one of the most balanced mixes I've ever heard. Yes the drums are a bit low but that's because we're all used to MP's loud drum tracks. SC had a loud kick drum and BCASL had a loud hi hat which I liked. This mixing is much more balanced and the best way to really enjoy is is with earbuds. You can hear every instrument clearly, even Myung! The snare and cymbals do sound dull sometimes, but overall it's a very balanced mix.

Oh yeah LaBrie's singing is one of the best I've heard from him. He hits some high notes on Beneath the Surface which made me and my gf (new DT fan because of me lol) raise an eyebrow. Plus I sooooo don't miss MP's dumb growls (which ruined BCASL's a Night to Remember IMO).