Author Topic: ADTOE: Should It Have Been Shorter?  (Read 5412 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: ADTOE: Should It Have Been Shorter?
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »
For me the length of ADTOE is just perfect, with every listen I find new "my favourite for now" element :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 07:19:43 PM »
There should have been a 32 minute song on Disc 2

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
Funny that I was just posting on "that other forum" that the album actually feels very short to me.   Like when it's done, I can't believe it was actually 77 minutes.   And *THAT* is the sign of a great album.

Everyone else seemed to concur.   In spite of the fact that it's just as long as previous DT albums, it flows so well that is "feels" far shorter.   So put me in the "NO" piles as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline autumn13

• Dance with Fire,Spirit Guide...
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
I wouldn't change a single note.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
Yea, even though there's four 10+ minute songs, they all feel like 6-7 minute songs

Offline ironsam

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
I expect a lot of people to disagree with me here, but I think ADTOE should have been shorter. It's not that it has filler songs or anything like that. I like every song. It's just that I think 75 minutes is a little long for any record, really. I also think that BMUBMD sounds a little out of place, and that four long songs is one two many. By dropping Outcry, I think the impact of LNF, BITS and BAI would be greater.

Anyone agree with me, or at least sees where I'm coming from?

I agree.  Also, Michael Jordan played too many minutes when he was pwn'ing the universe at basketball.  Wish he would have sat out 5-10 minutes more per game and let that anonymous white guy play more.

RESISTANCE IS CALLING!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
Whats with all the weaklings in this thread? BITS > Outcry is "too draining"? Really? Cmon, I think the album is fine as it is. Its definately not too long.

Yeah it is.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
As many have said, this album contains absolutely no filler. There are some parts I would prefer to be shorter, but all in all, it's great as it is.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 12:06:01 AM »
I think it's perfectly fine as is. There is only one track I'm apathetic enough about to even consider getting rid of, and even then it doesn't feel like it needs to go. It's a solid album from start to finish that doesn't linger a minute more than its welcome.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »
I found it finished too fast and some of the songs I wish never ended. I love how it leaves you wanting more. Perfection.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:45 AM »
I think if the removed BITS (or LNF and rearranged things), then it would be pretty much perfect.

The fuck is this.

Well, if you're familiar with this guy's posts, you'll see he has a lot of . . . "interesting" opinions on DT. This is the guy that doesn't think I&W is much good.  :-\

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »
Nah.  I think it zips by pretty quickly, which is a testament to how consistent and good it is.

If I had to get rid of a song, honestly, I'd get rid of On the Backs of Angels, make Outcry track 1 and then everything else follows as is. 

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »
Every time I listen to the album, I don't even realize that 77 minutes went by...

The time goes by real fast but if I HAD TO REMOVE A SONG OR TWO it would be Build me up and far from heaven. That's if I had to.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
I don't think it was long enough.. it should have been three disks long with four 30 min songs...

;)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »
No, I think it's perfect as it is.

Offline jsem

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
Maybe a tiny bit. I can see This Is The Life being a tad shorter, and doing something about BMU,BMD. But the record has a great flow - and it'd be irresponsible to change it like that.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »
It's not long enough. Only song I have a problem with is BMUBMD, but it keeps getting a bit better each time I listen to it.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »
Haven't even heard it yet.  Waiting for the goddamn fucking shipment.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »
albums cant be too long for me. this is our new DT output for 2 years (maybe even more who knows). the more the better

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
How can people complain about song order or say that the songs don't go together or some shit? How often are you going to sit there and listen to the album all the way through? I personally like to skip around with songs.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
How can people complain about song order or say that the songs don't go together or some shit? How often are you going to sit there and listen to the album all the way through? I personally like to skip around with songs.
You answered your own question there. You PERSONALLY like to skip around with songs. Lots of us don't. I, for one, am an album listener.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »

There's a thread about that, and a good number of responders indicated a preference for listening to an album all the way thru, if given the time.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »
Yes, it should have. There is no reason for bands to put out 76 minutes of material on a CD unless the material is "that strong" that it requires it. And newsflash, some of the best albums ever recorded are under 40 minutes.

I'm not saying DT should shoot for a time, but with a little refinement of the songs, I'm sure they could easily get it down to an hour or so, and perhaps make things a little more accessible.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Millais

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2011, 02:10:37 PM »
Absolutely not.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
As long as the stuff is good --> the longer the better. 40 minutes is nothing, close to 80 is not too much for a band with songs of this length.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:42:14 PM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
Yes, it should have. There is no reason for bands to put out 76 minutes of material on a CD unless the material is "that strong" that it requires it. And newsflash, some of the best albums ever recorded are under 40 minutes.

I'm not saying DT should shoot for a time, but with a little refinement of the songs, I'm sure they could easily get it down to an hour or so, and perhaps make things a little more accessible.

The problem with your statement is that many of us feel the material IS that strong. This reminds me of certain people who are always suggesting DT release an album of 10 four-minute songs; or in other words they want DT to stop being DT and become like everyone else.  :-\

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »

Eh.  I'm not saying I think every moment is perfect.  I think you could have trimmed little things here and there out of OTBOA, BMUBMD, LNF, and Outcry (maybe).  But the other five songs are just right musically.  If anything, I wish the end of BAI was fleshed out a little more.  Feels a bit too fast.

I think it's kinda interesting that no one's talking about specific sections they don't like, and how it just feels too long.  Which is fine, everyone experiences music differently.  But if you don't have a specific issue with anything in the songs, maybe the only issue is you just don't like the length.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
No.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
As long as the stuff is good --> the longer the better. 40 minutes are nothing, close to 80 is not too much for a band with songs of this lenghth.

which gets to the point that some of the songs do not need to be that length. Which is my point.  It's a matter of taste, and what you are interested in as a music fan. I'm only interested in hearing long songs who have sections that flow organically and support the overall melody and vibe of the tune.

If a section doesn't, it simply shouldn't be there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2011, 02:18:43 PM »

I think it's kinda interesting that no one's talking about specific sections they don't like, and how it just feels too long.  Which is fine, everyone experiences music differently.  But if you don't have a specific issue with anything in the songs, maybe the only issue is you just don't like the length.

I have. There are a few spots. The Outcry (aka Metropolis-like) instrumental section. Not needed at least in the way it was done. Does not heighten what the song is expressing. At all.

Again, in my last post, I did say it was a matter of taste and what you are looking for in music. We simply don't match up in that regard. :)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
To expand on my first post... There are a couple of songs on this album I could live without.  But I wouldn't want them cut unless they were going to be replaced with something better.  So for me, it's not about controlling length as it is about controlling quality.

It seems to me that if you think an album is too long and a song should be cut, it's a pretty simple matter to just skip the song. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »

I have. There are a few spots. The Outcry (aka Metropolis-like) instrumental section. Not needed at least in the way it was done. Does not heighten what the song is expressing. At all.

I still have no idea what to make of Outcry.  I'm not turned off by anything in it, but I can't really connect with it either.

Again, in my last post, I did say it was a matter of taste and what you are looking for in music. We simply don't match up in that regard. :)

Possibly.  Although I think like you over time I started to feel fairly negative toward BCSL.  Except for Wither, all the songs make me say "This is cool, but they did [insert ridiculous thing here] which really brought the quality down."
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline JeM7BsB

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
You're right, they should remove about 3 songs from the CD. O and BTW, on the Mona Lisa painting they should remove the ears and one eye too!  :P

This is a piece of art people. It is definitely not too long, it is exactly as long as was intended!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »
I want you all to shut up and listen to yourselves - you're so eager criticize DT, you're complaining that they put out too much material? Give me a fucking break. Grow up and stop complaining about every god damn thing.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »
I want you all to shut up and listen to yourselves - you're so eager criticize DT, you're complaining that they put out too much material? Give me a fucking break. Grow up and stop complaining about every god damn thing.

:chill
Sincerely,
Jaffa