Author Topic: ADTOE: Should It Have Been Shorter?  (Read 5414 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
ADTOE: Should It Have Been Shorter?
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »
I expect a lot of people to disagree with me here, but I think ADTOE should have been shorter. It's not that it has filler songs or anything like that. I like every song. It's just that I think 75 minutes is a little long for any record, really. I also think that BMUBMD sounds a little out of place, and that four long songs is one two many. By dropping Outcry, I think the impact of LNF, BITS and BAI would be greater.

Anyone agree with me, or at least sees where I'm coming from?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ADTOE: Should It Have Been Shorter?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
Nope. Like you say, there are no filler songs, and all the music is good. And the more good music, the better! If you don't like listening to too much in one go, just split it in two and listen in two goes. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
Sorry, no.   :lol  I mean, it's not that I'd die if you cut a song, I just don't have a problem with long albums in the first place.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
Sorry, no.   :lol  I mean, it's not that I'd die if you cut a song, I just don't have a problem with long albums in the first place.
Yeah, we had a thread about this a while ago in General Music. I think basically people's answers in this thread are going to come down to "Do you have anything against long albums or not?".

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »
I expect a lot of people to disagree with me here, but I think ADTOE should have been shorter. It's not that it has filler songs or anything like that. I like every song. It's just that I think 75 minutes is a little long for any record, really. I also think that BMUBMD sounds a little out of place, and that four long songs is one two many. By dropping Outcry, I think the impact of LNF, BITS and BAI would be greater.

Maybe at first I would have agreed, but since then Outcry has grown on me so much.   I'm feeling that this album is just right  ;D

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »
I think the pacing and flow of ADTOE is actually pretty near perfect. I do agree that Outcry seems a little redundant, and I have similar concerns with Lost Not Forgotten. Rather than cutting them outright, I'd be curious to see how some judicious editing might affect their overall impact.

(Yes, tickle section, I'm looking at you)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
I feel like BITS -> Outcry is a bit draining.  I think if the removed BITS (or LNF and rearranged things), then it would be pretty much perfect.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 05:05:14 PM »
No.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline krands85

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »
No, I want as much music from these guys as I can get my hands on ;D

Even if there were songs I disliked or plenty of sections that I felt needed to be cut (which I don't with this album), I would be preferring the excess time they'd made up to be put to use with a new song. Like in BC&SL, there's alot I'd trim out of that album - but not to decrease the length of the album, only to make way for an extra, better song.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »
No. It'd be crazy to drop one of the best songs on the album.

I don't really see people's fascination with making an album shorter for the sake of it either.

Offline TL

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
I'll never understand why someone would want less music on an album if it's all good stuff. You know, you don't have to listen to the entire thing at once every time. You can listen to as many or few songs at any time as you like.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:31 PM »
I feel like BITS -> Outcry is a bit draining.  I think if the removed BITS (or LNF and rearranged things), then it would be pretty much perfect.

Sorry but  :lol @ removing BITS...come on now...

It's the best track on the album to many people right now.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 05:08:54 PM »
If anything, it should be longer. Honestly, all the albums after SDOIT have felt like "half albums" to me after that double disc crazyness and the concept album before that. I wish they went back to that and made something really elaborate.

The album feels like a full delivery, but I still kind of wish there was another disc to it with a different sound. I think when you have a lot more room to make songs, you can make all the 'obvious" songs like the ballads and the heavies and the singles, and then you can really experiment with what's left. I think that's what made those albums so good.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
I think if the removed BITS (or LNF and rearranged things), then it would be pretty much perfect.

The fuck is this.

Normally I don't like long albums. A band has to be REALLY good to have an album full of songs that pack a near 70-80 minutes total. I prefer shorter albums. I just like the punch of a good album that takes maybe 40 minutes to hit you.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
No, BMUBMD is awesome.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 05:24:34 PM »
I'll never understand why someone would want less music on an album if it's all good stuff. You know, you don't have to listen to the entire thing at once every time. You can listen to as many or few songs at any time as you like.

I guess the argument is that if you listen to an album four songs at a time or something like that, then it's no longer an album. It's more a pool of songs. There's something special about putting on an album and at the end of it going, "Wow. What an experience!"

I can't really do that with ADTOE because it tires me out. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 05:28:42 PM »
I thought the album could have actually used another twenty minutes or so.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »
I actually think it felt shorter than BC&SL.

I personally can't think of much to cut from this album. I loved the Tickle section and how it just led right into the verse
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »
I would think that LNF could use some editing. It's got a lot of great stuff, but it does feel a little fat. Probably my biggest complaint on the entire album, which is a good thing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »
I thought it was too short. It felt really really short I thought.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
(╯°□°)╯

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
Yeah, come to think of it felt a lot shorter than more recent previous albums.  Like SC just seems to drag on and on after Repentance and until you get to ItPoE Pt. 2 (imo at least), that middle part is such a slag.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »

It was supposed to be shorter. Beneath The Surface was a late addition.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
So glad they added BTS....one of the best songs from the last 4 albums

Offline Cranky

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 06:13:05 PM »
I agree, if a song like Outcry was taken out, and replaced with another song that was shorter and more enjoyable, I would have enjoyed the album more.. It kind of ruins the pacing for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
Their best album in nearly a decade featuring a lot less of the issues that plagued the last few albums and you wish it was shorter....

:angry: Well I Never !!!

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
Whats with all the weaklings in this thread? BITS > Outcry is "too draining"? Really? Cmon, I think the album is fine as it is. Its definately not too long.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »
Rather than remove songs entirely, they could have cut down the last chorus of BMU,BMD and OTBOA. In both of those songs, they could cut down the last chorus so that it's not overkill.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
By dropping Outcry, I think the impact of LNF, BITS and BAI would be greater.

I think I get where you are coming from, but I still completely disagree. Outcry is beautiful!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TL

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »

I guess the argument is that if you listen to an album four songs at a time or something like that, then it's no longer an album. It's more a pool of songs. There's something special about putting on an album and at the end of it going, "Wow. What an experience!"

I can't really do that with ADTOE because it tires me out. :lol
Oh, I understand that, and I absolutely love putting on a good album and experiencing it in full. I'm just saying that, as long as all of the songs are good, after I've listened to it as an album at least once, listening to individual songs is just as enjoyable. For me, once I appreciate the context of a song, it's still there even when I listen to just that track.

There aren't any songs that could be cut from ADToE in my opinion without lessening the experience.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
I've always been a quality over quantity kind of guy, but the whole album is quality. Or to put it more simply, when the album ends, not only do I want to hear more, but I didn't even realize that 77 minutes had gone by. I get lost in the album so much to the point where I lose track of time and for me, that is the trait of an excellent album.

Offline sagar_k

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 06:34:04 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »
Whats with all the weaklings in this thread? BITS > Outcry is "too draining"? Really? Cmon, I think the album is fine as it is. Its definately not too long.

Those two songs put together are still shorter than the entire In The Presence Of Enemies.

And Bridges - Outcry is far better than Itpoe.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
Hell, no.  It's all killer, no filler.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.