Author Topic: Open letter to all Tuesdays in 2011 that are not Tuesday, September 13th  (Read 4879 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Dear non-September 13th Tuesdays,

You are inferior and can never measure up.  Try not to feel too badly about yourselves.  It isn't your fault Dream Theater and Arch Matheos released what will probably be the top two albums of the year on the same day.  But the fact of the matter is, they did.  And, as a result, 9/13/11 will go down as the most incredible new-release Tuesday of the year, and possibly, my lifetime.  You other Tuesdays all have something positive to offer.  And you should take solice in the fact that you are all special and unique.  But you simply cannot touch the awesomeness that is 9/13/11.

Sincerely,
bosk1

And related to that, it has been an awesome year in music in general so far, and there is a lot more I am interested in that has not come out yet.  Overall, this is shaping up to probably be the best year in music ever in terms of the sheer number of new releases that fit my tastes.  My top 10 list so far:

1.  Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events:  I can't say anything bad about this album at all right now without just nitpicking.  Although I have generally enjoyed every single DT release since I became a fan in the I&W days, I have never had this strong an initial positive reaction other than Scenes From A Memory.  Too early to say for sure, but this may very well being in my top 3 DT albums of all time. 
2.  Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance:  This may end up stealing the top spot from DT.  Again, near flawless album.  It is interesting to me that no Fates Warning album would ever wind up cracking my top 10 for any given year, while the last Redemption album was in my top 3 for 2009, and VERY close behind Dream Theater and Transatlantic, this album will almost for sure end up in my top 3, and Redemption's new one due out later this year may also end up there. 
3.  Neal Morse - Testimony 2:  Not as strong has his best stuff, but still VERY strong.  And I like that the bonus disk gives you a full CD's worth of solid tunes that are not part of the concept album and don't feel like leftover tracks that didn't make the cut.
4.  Within Temptation - The Unforgiving:  Some really good stuff on this album.  My initial love for it is fading a bit as the year wears on.  But they did some really good work.
5.  James LaBrie - Static Impulse:  Solid effort.  I don't like it as much as Elements of Persuasion, but it's still good.
6.  Symphony X - Iconoclast:  Some absolutely beastly moments.  But to me, it is an inconsistent album.  There are moments I like on the first half, but a lot I don't really have much desire to listen to often, whereas I love most of the second half.
7.  Trivium - In Waves:  Just got this and need to digest it more.  I didn't think I would like it, but it is definitely growing on me and may climb the list pretty quickly.
8.  Journey - Eclipse:  I am surprised at how much I like this album.  There are a couple of songs I strongly dislike, but the album as a whole is pretty good and has a few really strong standout tracks.
9.  Def Leppard - Mirror Ball:  Nothing "special," but a good live release that fans of the band will appreciate.
10.  Leaves' Eyes - Meredead:  Not a bad album by any stretch.  But brings nothing new to the table whatsoever.  These guys have become the AC/DC of symphonic metal bands with female singers: If you've heard one album, you've heard them all, and if you've heard Vinland Saga, you've heard the best they have to offer.
11.  Stryper - The Covering:  Good covers album.  They do a good job with most, striking a nice balance between keeping the integrity of the originals while still putting just enough original spin on the songs.

Wow, so I already have a decent top 10, and there are still albums I plan to buy that will definitely bump some of these down a few notches.  On the list of albums to come:
-Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live In Paris (already out, but I don't have it)
-Queensryche - Dedicated To Chaos (already out, but I refuse to put money in the band's pocket, so I am waiting until I find a used copy; I am buying this only because I am a completeist)
-Mastodon - The Hunter
-Redemption - This Mortal Coil
-Neal Morse (live album)
-Transatlantic (live album)
-The Jelly Jam
-Megadeth - 13
-Testament

And I may be forgetting something else.  But, wow!  What a year!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:38:38 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Open letter to all Tuesdays in 2011 that are not Tuesday, September 13th
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:18:16 PM »
Primus and Anthrax came out yesterday too.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »
Next tuesday will be better with new Opeth and Thrice. Also, I'm pretty sure that none of your picks will make it on my top 25 list from 2011. :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:25:39 PM »
Primus and Anthrax came out yesterday too.

Not a fan.  But, really, that only more firmly makes my point about how awesome a day in music it was, because those bands have large, thriving fanbases as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »
This year in general has been pretty rad for new releases.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
Wow, so I already have a decent top 10, and there are still albums I plan to buy that will definitely bump some of these down a few notches.  On the list of albums to come:
-Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live In Paris (already out, but I don't have it)
-Queensryche - Dedicated To Chaos (already out, but I refuse to put money in the band's pocket, so I am waiting until I find a used copy; I am buying this only because I am a completeist)
-Mastodon - The Hunter
-Redumption - This Mortal Coil
-Neal Morse (live album)
-Transatlantic (live album)
-The Jelly Jam
-Megadeth - 13
-Testament

is this a redemption cover band?  are they pretty good.  in any case, I would rather spend money on the real thing and am really looking forward to its release.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »
STOP IT!  I ALREADY FIXED THAT TYPO!

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »
Busk1

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »
Nope, best release of the year is Flaming Row's "Elinoire".  :hat

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »
Not to mention Black Stone Cherry, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and R.E.M. put out albums this year as well oh and so did Black Label Society.  It's been a great friggin' year for new releases!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 01:00:16 PM »
9/13 also brought me a new Alice Cooper CD, so it's all good here!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:02:08 PM »
You're all wrong Dark Castle had the best release this year.
And May 31st wasn't so bad either:
Dark Castle
Autopsy
US Christmas
Isis

I can't wait for October 25th though, Black Tusk is the only band with a chance to take my no.1 spot away from Dark Castle this year.

As for Yesterday:  You forgot about Wolves In The Throne Room, UNGH.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
Also, the new Smithereens album was released on a Tuesday (4-5-11).  Dig.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »
8.  Journey - Eclipse:  I am surprised at how much I like this album.  There are a couple of songs I strongly dislike, but the album as a whole is pretty good and has a few really strong standout tracks.
:tup

I was surprised at how much I ended up loving this album.  It pains me to admit it, but I like it more than Arrival.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
FYI, Static Impulse was last year.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
Oh, was it?  I lost track.  And the fact that the guy in charge of the 2011 release date thread refuses to keep it current doesn't help.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
Still nowhere near as big a fan of 2011 as 2010 based on everything released so far. I'm sure all of those albums OP listed are good, but none of them are really my kind of thing, sadly.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
Two weeks has the release of Grace For Drowning and Steve Hackett's new album too.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »
And the fact that the guy in charge of the 2011 release date thread refuses to keep it current doesn't help.

This thread needs to degenerate into Nick and Bosk1 making diss raps about each other, and possibly their moms.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »
I hate to be a stickler (kind of :P), but the second disc of Testimony Two is not a bonus one; it is part of the regular album.  It is like the reverse Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (which had the individual songs on disc 1 and the long concept on disc 2).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
I hate to be a stickler (kind of :P), but the second disc of Testimony Two is not a bonus one; it is part of the regular album.  It is like the reverse Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (which had the individual songs on disc 1 and the long concept on disc 2).

Oh, you're right.  I bought the SE, and I had forgotten that the only difference was the DVD.  I thought the standard edition was CD #1 only.  Good catch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
It's all good.  As a whole, it is magnificent, and will definitely be a strong contender for Album of the Year for me (along with Devin Townsend's Ghost, Fleet Foxes and DT).

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »
There's already a thread for how awesome my birthday is in General Discussion, Bosk1. 

On an unrelated note, no way in hell is ADTOE close to a top album for the year.  There have just been too many albums that kicked it in the face this year.  The Valley, Ghost, Arrows & Anchors, Major/Minor, The King is Dead, and The People's Key are all much stronger overall, IMO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »
I laughed.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 03:30:09 PM »
Matt, you would call The King is Dead a top album from this year? I didn't think it was very good at all...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »
On an unrelated note, no way in hell is ADTOE close to a top album for the year.  There have just been too many albums that kicked it in the face this year.

Agreed.

With that said, this is definitely one of the greatest months of music ever.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »
Matt, you would call The King is Dead a top album from this year? I didn't think it was very good at all...

That album is fantastic!!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 03:36:42 PM »
Sarah Fimm - Near Infinite Possibility
Bright Eyes - The People's Key
Anathema - Falling Deeper
Opeth - Heritage
Thrice - Major/Minor
Ulver - Wars of the Roses
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
Melanie Laurent - S/T
KMFDM - WTF?!

I think those are my favorites of the year so far, just in how they came to memory. Still waiting on the new Bjork, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Pain of Salvation, Steven Wilson, Gary Numan, and Skinny Puppy albums.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »
-Testament

The release date for The Dark Roots of The Earth has been moved to February of 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Roots_of_Earth

:'(

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »
It's been a good year.  So good, in fact, that ADTOE, as decent as it might be, is probably one of the weaker releases that I have heard from 2011.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
REALLY looking forward to the new Jelly Jam, and what if Clockwork Angels comes out this year. Plus Yes' Fly From Here was very respectable. Actually I think if Rush releases this year the planet will explode from prog-awesome.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
My top ten so far...

1. Dream Theater- A Dramatic Turn of Events
2. Scale the Summit- The Collective
3. Bon Iver- Bon Iver, Bon Iver
4. Devin Townsend- Deconstruction
5. Devin Townsend- Ghost
6. Radiohead- The King of Limbs
7. Eden's Curse- Trinity
8. Alcest- Le Secret
9. Evergrey- Glorious Collision
10. Thomas Giles- Pulse

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Right, album rankings

1. Dream Theater - ADTOE - It's really that good. They stepped it up a lot from the last 2 albums, which were bad to ok, with some good gems. This is way more consistent and may have a top 10 DT song if it has the staying power it seems to have (BITS would be the song).

2. Thrice - Major/Minor - These guys cannot release a bad album at this point. Awesome.

3. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver - Simply beautiful.

4. Hillsong United - Aftermath - So, not into the Christian thing anymore, but the music here is just amazing. All of it. I love love love it.

5. The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum - Brilliant. Still getting into it and I can see it ranking higher by the end of the year. But right now it sits comfortably at #5.

6. Neal Morse - Testimony 2 - Yeah, number 5. I just like the other albums better. It is waaaaay better than T1, and has a lot of memorable melodies. It feels a little forced at times, and honestly I haven't been listening to much NM for a while now. Still love him, but not as big of a fan as I was in the past.

7. Codes in the Clouds - As the Spirit Wanes - So nice to relax to, or work to. Very chill post-rock.

8. Radiohead - The King of Limbs - Really dig this record. Starting to delve into the world of Radiohead (I know some songs here or there, this was my first album to hear by them).

9. Scale the Summit - The Collective - Good stuff, but I need to hear it more to rank it properly. I'm running out of albums to rank.

10. Eisley - The Valley - It was either this or Within Temptation, and WT bored me to death (besides "Faster"). This album is #10 by default, but it does seem good...need to give it more spins to accurately judge though.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
thus far

1. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
2. Fair to Midland - Arrows & Anchors
3. Thrice - Major/Minor
4. August Burns Red - Leveler
5. Between the Buried and Me - Parallax EP
6. Trivium - In Waves
7. The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum
8. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
9. Symphony X - Iconoclast
10. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Mastodon, Haken, Redemption, and perhaps a few others will definitely change this list.