Author Topic: Bridges In The Sky: Appreciation Thread  (Read 22643 times)

Offline John94

Re: Bridges In The Sky: Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »
Favourite song on the album, so far.

Love the chorus and the melodies. Lyrics actually are quite good.

As soon as I heard the "Sun/come shine my way..." and the "Crossing Bridges in the Sky/on a journey to renew my life/Shaman take my hand." I fell in love with the song and with the melodies. I can sense some emotion in the delivery too.

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Terrific song.

I love that my initial reaction was "What the hell is this noise coming out of my speakers?" quickly followed by "Did I mess up and shuffle in an Enya song somehow?"  And then the heavy hits.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
A genre-defining prog metal song. 

Great chorus, great riffs, great melodies, great everything.  Don't particularly care for the Shaman's voice myself, but other than that, 10/10.

*appreciates*
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
Best song on the album, and definite top 10 DT song for me. I love it so much!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »
This song is amazing.  I absolutely love the lyrics and JLB's delivery of them. I love that the first time we get the chorus, we don't get the "Bridges in the sky" part, it doesn't come in until later.  That's a great effect, and the instrumental sections are amazing as well.

Agreed.  They did the same thing with Beyond This Life, where the "Our deeds..." came it first as the regular chorus, and then the "All that we learn..." chorus came in later to bring it all together. 

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
I can't wait to see JM do the tuvian throat singing live!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
This song is amazing.  I absolutely love the lyrics and JLB's delivery of them. I love that the first time we get the chorus, we don't get the "Bridges in the sky" part, it doesn't come in until later.  That's a great effect, and the instrumental sections are amazing as well.

Agreed.  They did the same thing with Beyond This Life, where the "Our deeds..." came it first as the regular chorus, and then the "All that we learn..." chorus came in later to bring it all together. 
Very good point, I love that chorus (or maybe after-chorus) section. The "Shaman take my hand" leading into the amazing instrumental sections is genuinely one of the best ever DT moments!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »
I never thought of the Bridges In The Sky section as being the chorus, more like a bridge or after-chorus bit that just happens to be repeated at the end as well. Not that it matters anyway, but I always thought people were talking about the "Sun..." section when they said the chorus.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »
Favourite song on the album, so far.

Love the chorus and the melodies. Lyrics actually are quite good.

As soon as I heard the "Sun/come shine my way..." and the "Crossing Bridges in the Sky/on a journey to renew my life/Shaman take my hand." I fell in love with the song and with the melodies. I can sense some emotion in the delivery too.

THIS EXACTLY!   :metal
I cant help but singalong and even get a lil emotional

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
Amazing song. IMO the best heavy/riff driven song they have done. The Intro is one of the best they've done. James sounds phenomenal. Mangini  :hefdaddy

Offline Evo

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
My favorite on the album. I adore everything about it, especially the chorus.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »

Very good point, I love that chorus (or maybe after-chorus) section. The "Shaman take my hand" leading into the amazing instrumental sections is genuinely one of the best ever DT moments!

All of this.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 06:11:29 AM »
BITS is one of my favourite DT songs of all time.  I love everything about it but especially the epic chorus/pre solo build and of course the brutal Nevermore-esque riffing.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 07:27:41 AM »
it's kinda of funny, after hearing the snippet I thought I wouldn't like this song very much, but after hearing the entire song many times it's definitely my favorite off the album and is just written absolutely majestically.

The chorus is awesome and James delivers it perfect. Like another pointed out, the only thing that I thought could have better were the two solos from JP and JR, but O well!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 07:31:46 AM »
For me, JR's solos are an absolute highlight of the song. The organ solo is just totally cool, and the continuum solo is a very nice melody - a strong contrast to the more noise/slidey-oriented approach on ANTR and AROP.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 08:03:50 AM »
The snippet REALLY misled me! I thought it was going to be a full-on heavy song but that snippet was just taken from the heaviest part of the song. Nevertheless, it's my 2nd favorite on the album behind BAI!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely not new, they've used it many times before even going back to the Kevin Moore days. But when they do it well, I love it :metal even all these years later. It's one of the defining features of their music that I don't mind the continued use of, provided they never begin overusing it (hello, unison solo, so glad to not be seeing you my friend).

Offline darkshot

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
The snippet REALLY misled me! I thought it was going to be a full-on heavy song but that snippet was just taken from the heaviest part of the song. Nevertheless, it's my 2nd favorite on the album behind BAI!

Same here lol.  I heard the BITS snippet and I was like oh ok, neato, sounds like a decent song.  But when I heard the full version I was blown away, they probably picked the least impressive part of the song for the snippet.  The opposite is true with BAI where the snippet was taken from one of the best parts of the song, interestingly.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »
For me, JR's solos are an absolute highlight of the song. The organ solo is just totally cool, and the continuum solo is a very nice melody - a strong contrast to the more noise/slidey-oriented approach on ANTR and AROP.
I really love his solos on this album, and I know exactly why. He finally got to do solos over melodic sections. Guitar solos over heavy riff sections can work ok but keys always sound a bit awkward, but the last couple of albums JP got all the melodic solos and JR all the heavy ones for some reason. So occasionally they were great (TSF) but the rest were not that great (like the ones you mentioned).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »
Fantastic tune. Everything is killer. Anyone else digging the vocal melody from about 3:26, the one before the chorus? I just love that part, caught me off guard the first time I heard it.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
I love the groove of the first verse so much.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
Was easily my favorite after the first listen and after the second. I got big hopes for this song breaking top 10-20 for me. The instrumental doesn't drag on everything just flows. James souds soo good during the the Sun/Wind, Bridges in the Sky part.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »
James souds soo good during the the entire song.

Fixed for me.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline xShammas

• SHAAAAMMAAAAAS TAAAAKE MYYY HAAAAND!!!
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
Definitely the best chorus on the album. I feel like it lacks the complete epicness to be the best song on the album, but it's so solid that it's definitely #2 for me.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »
James souds soo good during the the entire song.

Fixed for me.

I agree. I wanted to emphasize that part its too good.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
Just listened to this song for the first time. As is usually the case with DT, it'll take me a couple of weeks to internalize the songs and figure out the parts I like best, but holy hell - DAT CHORUS. Instantly favourite DT chorus.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 04:23:16 AM »
When I put the album on first, Bridges in the Sky didn't hit me as much as the others. But now its gotta be one of my most played, its just so good !!!!
Its so epic and I love the intro grunt/chant whatever you wanna call it, it fits the lyrics, theme & sets a certain mood that is required.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »
What are people's thoughts on the pre-chorus in this song? The first part especially is a really strange melody that always strikes me off-balance. It almost sounds off key. I'm still getting used to it.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
A genre-defining prog metal song. 

Great chorus, great riffs, great melodies, great everything.10/10.

*appreciates*

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:38 PM »
What are people's thoughts on the pre-chorus in this song? The first part especially is a really strange melody that always strikes me off-balance. It almost sounds off key. I'm still getting used to it.
Well, this :) BUT!! Bridges In The Sky has got so powerful beginning, that Petrucci riff driven by Mangini drums is awesome. I'm always headbanging with it, I just can't stop :)  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline gm5k

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »

I think that's what makes the pre-chorus/B section so cool, it not following the minor scale so strictly on the vocal melodies.  Creates some heavenly unease  :biggrin:   I love it  :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »

I really like it. It makes the vocal melodies more unique. Obviously "out of key" chromatic melodies like that take a couple of listens to get used to, but once you do, they're often the better ones.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline j

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2011, 12:06:14 AM »
This one didn't hit me immediately like a few of the other songs on the album, but now it's arguably my favorite along with BAI.  Hard to find fault with this song.  Definitely one of their best in years.

-J

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »
Awesome song, but I can't get into the lyrics because they're so far removed from anything I'm familiar with. I don't really know any shamans  :P
The music is spectacular though.

Something about the artwork for BITS in the booklet: I think it would have been super-cool if the dream catcher thingy had the majesty symbol weaved into it.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
My favorite song on the album so far.
4:57 to 5:04 is one of the heaviest things I've ever heard from them and I cannot help but listen to it multiple times whenever I listen to this song.