Author Topic: ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v. Final Post Is Up!  (Read 14255 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v. It's really my turn this time
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »
That Chroma Key album is very good. Have to remind myself to check into OSI soon.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 05:07:40 AM »
Let's go!  The Earth isn't turning any slower.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 06:18:02 AM »
I'll have an update up today, had a very long weekend.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 06:34:59 AM »
Good stuff so far reaper, I know you like OSI a lot I hope to see more :P

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 06:37:42 AM »
Glad to see some Pineapple Thief around. I already finished my TPT-crush phase (for now) but I still think they make very solid albums.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 06:40:28 AM »
Yea I was on a TPT kick for a while. My only complaint with them is that some songs just seems to draaaaaaaagggggg.

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 07:57:12 AM »
great updeat

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »
Another update as promised:

35. Erik Mongrain - Equilibrium [2008]

Erik Mongrain was one of my first introductions to the world of solo instrumental acoustic playing. At the time I heard of him he didn’t have an album out so I just watched his youtube videos over and over while eagerly awaiting his first album. He style was so unlike anything I’ve ever heard and that uniqueness is what attracted me to his music. His first album was good but not great, it seemed to be a cluster of good ideas that were poorly strung together so I then (even more)eagerly awaited his sophomore album which was everything I had hoped for. There are still some really unique and interesting melodies in this record but it never loses that “song” feel, you never feel lost. The playing is suburb and the Rainsong he plays on has one of the best acoustic tones I’ve ever heard. Either one of his records is very hard to get into if you’re not familiar with the genre but it is worth a listen.

Favorite Tracks: “Equilibrium”, “Muse”, “The Silent Fool”, “Pandora’s Box”, “Maelstrom”

34. Kanye West - Graduation [2007]

I was a little late to check out Kanye West but after getting a few cd’s from my girlfriend in college and I really enjoyed his 3 records at the time. Dropout and Late Registration were good but Graduation was the most memorable. I’m still a relative Hip-Hop/Rap n00b but my collection is slowly expanding however nothing has topped this album for me. The beauty of this album is that almost every song will get stuck in my head in a good way, some of the synth lines are near impossible to forget at times. It’s memorable and well written. Writing this reminds me that I need to check out his work post-graduation.

Favorite Tracks: “Good Morning”, “Stronger”, “Good Life”, “Flashing Lights”

33. Emancipator - Safe In The Steep Cliffs [2010]

My brother turned me onto this artist. I don’t know much about him but I do love this album. It has a little bit of a trip hop vibe to it but with extremely lush soundscapes painted with a wide variety of instruments. This is another one of those albums that is perfect for almost any situation, you can have it playing in the background or give it your full attention, there will always be something to discover.

Favorite Tracks: “Black Lake”, “Jet Stream”, “Kamakura”, “Bury Them Bones”, "Vines"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »
Allright, allright... you got this update in just before I slagged ya.  Interesting dynamic of genre's going on here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I'll try to update everyday this week because I know I won't this weekend.

Usually the genre's I listen to change during the day lol but those are some good albums.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 12:12:04 AM »
Don't really know any of these, but it's always fun to see some new artists and albums, and not the same ones rotated in everyone's list. :)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »
I need to get into more Kanye West.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:54 AM »
ERIK MONGRAIN YES!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I am a Survivor, and this is my Destiny.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »
Update Time!

32. The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream [1993]

I’ve only just recently gotten into The Smashing Pumpkins but from the moment I hear Siamese Dream I immediately fell in love with it. It’s a solid alternative rock album from start to finish with each song being incredibly strong which in turn makes the album a fun listening experience. Also the album has some great solos which are always a plus.

Favorite Tracks: “Hummer”, “Soma”, “Mayonaise”

31. Sarah Fimm - Nexus [2004]

I have to thank Ravenheart for his thread which got me into this album. To put it simply it’s a great album; creative with a minimalist feel that is accompanied by Sarah’s great voice.  This is another one of those albums that I can put on whenever and enjoy.

Favorite Tracks: “Mercury”, “Strange”, “Be What You Want To Be”

30. Chambao - Caminando 2001-2006 [2006]

I didn’t really want to put a compilation album on this list but it’d be crime to ignore this double album. I actually got it from an ex of mine from a few years back, it took a while to warm up to it but in the end it turned out to be a very satisfying listen. It has a great relaxed flamenco feel to it with unique vocals. I can see how a lot of people don’t like Mari’s vocals (at least from a few friends I’ve talked to) but they are worth a try. If you’re looking for something different to listen to, check this band out.

Favorite Tracks: “No Te Pierdas”, “Luz”, “Chambao”, “Deconocido”, “Los Muchacos De Mi Barrio”

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
Sarah Fimm and Smashing Pumpkins :heart
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »

31. Sarah Fimm - Nexus [2004]

I have to thank Ravenheart for his thread which got me into this album. To put it simply it’s a great album; creative with a minimalist feel that is accompanied by Sarah’s great voice.  This is another one of those albums that I can put on whenever and enjoy.

Favorite Tracks: “Mercury”, “Strange”, “Be What You Want To Be”

I SQUEALED IN JOY WHEN I SAW THIS I LOVE THIS ALBUM SO MUCH FJFKSKWKDK :heart

Siamese Dream is pretty awesome, too.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
Sexy sexy update time!

29. Steven Wilson - Insurgentes [2008]

This album is probably the biggest grower on the list. When I first heard it I only enjoyed one track and that was “Harmony Korine”. Each listen helped me realize what this album had to offer which is summed up to me as a dark sonic adventure and the album’s enjoyment is still growing with every listen.

Favorite Tracks: “Harmony Korine”, “Abandoner”, “Only Child”, “Get All You Deserve”, “Insurgentes”, “Puncture Wound”

28. Dire Straits - Making Movies [1980]

Another band that I always heard growing up but it’s only recently that I’ve come to truly appreciate Dire Straits and specifically Mark Knopfler. One of the most gifted guitar players I can think of. He has a talent to write some of the most beautiful solos or simply add some licks to accompany his vocals, whatever he does, it’s brilliant. Each song shines on this album and is crafted in the usual Dire Straits way of storytelling through the lyrics. Whenever I hear a Dire Straits album I realize how much good lyrical content can greatly improve the overall quality of the album and this album is no exception. With all that said, it was extremely hard to put just one Dire Straits album on my list as all of them are great.   

Favorite Tracks: “Tunnel Of Love”, “Romeo And Juliet”, “Expresso Love”

27. Mogwai - Mogwai Young Team [1997]

One of the first bands I got into when I started to explore the Post-Rock genre. If I had to describe this album with a single word I’d say it was subtle. It’s has a quiet feel throughout with explosions of sounds sprinkled on top. Every track from first to last seems so delicately constructed in some areas, it’s a very somber album, one that would be listened to best at night with some headphones on.

Favorite Tracks: “Yes! I Am A Long Way From Home”, “Tracy”(One of my favorite songs of all time), “Summer (Priority Version)”, “R U Still In 2 It”, “Mogwai Fear Satan”
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:33:23 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
SW and Mogwai! awesomesauce
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 07:30:19 PM »
Mogwai!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 02:23:08 AM »
Awesome to see SW and Mogwai.
I think that Mogwai doesn't get enough praise on this forum, one of my favorite post-rock bands for sure.  :hat

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »
If you guys like "Tracy" by Mogwai, check out the Kid Loco remix of it, it's pretty good.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
Dire Straits + Mogwai = nice. :D

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
I'll just say:  :heart

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2011, 07:23:41 PM »
Update:

26. Coldplay - Parachutes [2000]

I don’t imagine there being many Coldplay fans on this board, hell I don’t even follow the band that closely but there is no denying this album is great. At the time I discovered this cd it was a lot different from the metal phase that I was in, it was sort of a breath of fresh ear for my ears.

Favorite Tracks: “Don’t Panic”, “Shiver”, “Spies”, “Trouble”, “We Never Change”

25. Candlebox - Candlebox [1993]

I used to hear Candlebox singles on the university radio station all the time so one day a few years back I decided I needed some new music for my bus ride to Miami. I grabbed the first Candlebox disc, which led into a 6 hours listening marathon of this album. There is so much more to this cd than what you hear on the radio. A lot of the songs are short, to the point, have great vocals, and usually contain an awesome solo thrown in for good measure. The mix of the album really stands out to me as well however I have a hard time pointing out why. Usually albums from the 90’s era sound a bit thin to me but this album has a much richer, fuller, hairer sound.

Favorite Tracks: “Don’t You”, “Change”, “No Sense”, “Far Behind”, “Blossom”, “He Calls Home”

24. Michael Kelsey - Gruvency [1996]

This guy is fucking phenomenal and he is grossly underrated. He has a unique style, there is a little folk thrown into the songs that he sings on (there are few) but the songs mainly comprise of solo guitar. If you are a guitar player you have to check this album out simply for the creativity he brings to the table. It’s a merge of Kaki King (her early albums) and Antoine Dufour but much more cohesive than Kaki King and more groove than Antoine.  This album never ceases to amaze me every time I put it on and it’s always an inspiration to pick up my guitar and play whenever I hear it.

Favorite Tracks: “Life Mural”, “Mind’s Eye View”, “25 Years”, “Gruvency”, “Midnight Voices”, “Slow Dance”

Here are some youtube links to him performing 2 of his songs from this album to give a feel of what the album is like. Check them out!

Midnight Voices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIRQj8PR5rQ

Gruvency: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA8mLuYJJyo

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »

30. Chambao - Caminando 2001-2006 [2006]

I normally don't criticize peoples musical taste cause it's something very subjective but in this case I have to say no. You can't put a Chambao album in your top 50. That is plain wrong. Even more if it's in a better position than Lateralus.

Sorry for being an ass here but that kind of music really irritates me.

Aside from that, you have some very cool stuff in your list.  :heart Dire Straits.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
26. Coldplay - Parachutes [2000]

I don’t imagine there being many Coldplay fans on this board, hell I don’t even follow the band that closely but there is no denying this album is great. At the time I discovered this cd it was a lot different from the metal phase that I was in, it was sort of a breath of fresh ear for my ears.

I'm not a "fan" but I think Parachutes and Rush of Blood are pretty solid. I also discovered those after a metal phase so it helped broaden my musical taste I think. I haven't really listened to any of their other stuff.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2011, 12:40:50 AM »
While it's not my favorite Coldplay album, I do think "Don't Panic" is one of the most beautiful songs ever. Great opener.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »
Nice to see Candlebox in the list. Great album from a much under appreciated band.  :tup

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »
23. Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence [2002]

The only DT album on my list but it’s one hell of an album. This was literally my first exposure to DT and it was just a stellar listening experience. At the time I haven’t heard anything like it mainly from a technical stand point, the playing was just so immense. I will be honest though, SDOIT (the song) was kind of a disappointment after finishing the first disc so most of my praise does to the first disc.

Favorite Tracks: “The Glass Prison”, “Blind Faith”, “Misunderstood”, “The Great Debate”

22. From Monument To Masses - The Impossible Leap In One Hundred Easy Steps [2003]

FMTM is one of the best post-rock bands that I have ever heard. They are able to craft a beautiful soundscapes without having overly lengthy songs that you get lost in. They are also a politically charged band so you’ll hear a lot of snippets of quotes or news clips throughout songs but it never gets in the way. The arrangements work well together and the whole band has a great groove to them. They are a must listen if you like post-rock. 

Favorite Tracks: “Sharpshooter”, “From Mountains To Prairies”, “Comrades And Friends”

21. Balmorhea - Rivers Arms [2008]

It’s hard to classify these guys. I would say they would fall into a minimalistic post-rock category. All instruments are acoustic and there are no drums, sort of a folk meets post rock I guess. Anyway, with those ramblings aside this is another great record to chill to. It’s slow but it moves along without feeling as if the songs are dragging. The compositions are unique, simple and very dynamic. Worth a listen however I can see a lot of people falling asleep to this.

Favorite Tracks: “San Solomon”, “Lament”, “The Summer”, “Grayish Tapering Ash”, “Barefoot Pilgrims”

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2011, 02:09:37 AM »
I hadn't heard about Monuments, I'm checking the songs you mentioned and I'm loving them  :tup

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2011, 02:21:35 AM »
I have their self-titled but I haven't really listened to it. Will get around to do it now though!

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2011, 06:33:56 AM »
I hadn't heard about Monuments, I'm checking the songs you mentioned and I'm loving them  :tup

They are a great great band, no longer together lucky enough I was able to catch them before they broke up.

I have their self-titled but I haven't really listened to it. Will get around to do it now though!

If I remember correctly the self-titled was originally a demo that was turned into an EP, it's still good but a little rough around the edges.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
20. God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright [2003]

Another post-rock band but of a different flavor this time. God Is An Astronaut is more of a band that sets an atmosphere with each other their songs. Often slow, very densely layered and a lot of synthesizer use this band left quite the impression on me with first listen and with every repeated listen. 

Favorite Tracks: “Fragile”, “Suicide By Star”, “Remembrance Day”

19. Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets [1998]

DMB early work is awesome and it really peaks with this album. I’ve always been a casual DMB listener but when I first laid my ears on this album it was something special that at the time I hadn’t really heard before. The arrangements are done perfectly, the mix is awesome, Carter Beauford is a monster, and all the songs just seem to come to life. I know there are a lot of people that will dismiss DMB but this is truly an album worth your time.

Favorite Tracks: “The Last Stop”, “Don’t Drink The Water”, “Stay (Wasting Time)”, “Pig”, “Spoon”

18. Ludovico Einaudi - Islands [2011]

Another compilation however this album has gotten more spins at my house than anything else and it was just released this year. I love Ludovico Einaudi but I know a lot of people will dismiss him because his music can be very minimalistic, although that is where I think the greatness in his work lies. This is one of the albums I put on when I don’t want tons of notes flying at me; this is an album that I put on to relax and just drift off into the music.

Favorite Tracks: “I Giorni”, “The Earth Prelude”, “Le Onde”, “Nuvole Bianche”, “Passagio”, “L’origine Nascosta”

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
That GIAA album is awesome!
I AM A GUY

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
Yes, yes it is.