Author Topic: First Listen -- Off the cuff, I'm a bit underwhelmed...  (Read 7135 times)

Offline HarlequinForest

Re: First Listen -- Off the cuff, I'm a bit underwhelmed...
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Tbh, the first couple times I listened to it, I thought it was one of their worst, if not the worst, album of theirs yet; however, I've grown to NEVER trust my first impressions.  I'm glad I refrained from posting my initial thoughts like I did with past albums because now that I've listened to it significantly more, I think it's the best album since Six Degrees.  IMO, it's the only album since then that doesn't have at least a couple weak tracks; there's not a single track that I feel compelled to skip over.

Anyways, not to say that this is the case for you, that's just my experience.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
Samsara, this is off topic but do you ever get people accusing you of not being a "true" Dream Theater fan? I see this all the time in Youtube comments when a fan does not like every damn album/song a band puts out. Very annoying.

I don't post on YouTube or many other places as a whole, so no. But I do believe if push came to shove, folks here that haven't interacted with me a lot over the years probably think that way. They'd be wrong if that was the case, but I think some probably do.

Listening more to ADToE this week, in prep for this weekend's show. I like On the Backs of Angels and Beneath the Surface a good bit. Breaking All Illusions would have been so bad ass had the instrumental break been more in-tune with the song.

Again, this record is better than the last two by a good margin. It's just not as good as I had hoped. But hey, for the first time in awhile, I can be a little positive about the band's output.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Onearmedmidget

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »

Breaking All Illusions would have been so bad ass had the instrumental break been more in-tune with the song.

I don't know what version of BAI you're listening to, but that may the one song that the instrumental section actually flows throughout.   Outcry = lack of flow, not in tune with the song  , LNF (tickle me section) = not in tune etc

To say BAI's instrumental is not in tune with the rest of the song, I strongly disagree.

Enjoy the show btw!

Offline InertSolo

• Images and Turds
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2011, 03:42:37 PM »

There aren't any concept albums that I recall before or after Mindcrime that did this, except for Scenes. The only thing ORIGINAL about Scenes were the actual songs. Even the concept itself, if I remember correctly, is derivative of some movie, right? I forget. Could be wrong on that.

I realize this is in response to a 4 day old post but you do listen to music for the songs right? Then even if DT looked at Queensryche's album and thought "hey, maybe we should do something like this as well" and the songs are totally unique, then what's the problem?

Oh and I'll agree the new Arch/Matheos album is absolutely awesome, plus the new Haken album is coming out in a month and I'm sure that will be amazing as well.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »
I still think a problem with the album is that the mix is just not as strong as many of their albums. The drums are so quiet!

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »
Havn't liked an album released by the band in more then a decade? Time to give up

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »
Wow, this thread kind of makes me  :lol because this is now my second favorite Dream Theater album of all time with Images & Words being my favorite.  It it weren't for the slightly dull production values, it might be my favorite.

I guess there's just no accounting for tastes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »
Wow, this thread kind of makes me  :lol because this is now my second favorite Dream Theater album of all time with Images & Words being my favorite.  It it weren't for the slightly dull production values, it might be my favorite.

Wow.  If only you were a Neal Morse fan, your taste would be near-perfect.  Oh, wait...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »

Breaking All Illusions would have been so bad ass had the instrumental break been more in-tune with the song.

I don't know what version of BAI you're listening to, but that may the one song that the instrumental section actually flows throughout.   Outcry = lack of flow, not in tune with the song  , LNF (tickle me section) = not in tune etc

To say BAI's instrumental is not in tune with the rest of the song, I strongly disagree.

Enjoy the show btw!

Totally agree with you on Outcry. I'll listen to BAI more, but while perhaps not AS jarring as Outcry, I still think it sticks out and is too long.

Thanks on the show. I am looking forward to it. From the new album, I hope they play Bridges in the Sky, Breaking All Illusions, On the Backs of Angels and Beneath the Surface. Hopefully I get all four. I have a hope we might actually see Space Dye Vest on this tour. Crossing fingers.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »

Wow.  If only you were a Neal Morse fan, your taste would be near-perfect.  Oh, wait...

This comment hit the wall about 9 feet above my head.  I apologize if I came off snarky, that wasn't my intent at all. I am genuinely surprised when people don't like this album, although I suppose that is to be expected.  I mean, there must be people who don't like albums like SFAM and I&W too, I guess.  But to me, this album sounds like the album that most Dream Theater fans have been pining for since about 2002.

And for the record, I own everything Neal Morse has ever released, even though I pretty much hate 95% of his post Spock's Beard lyrical output.  I think he's a musical genius.   :hefdaddy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
Oh, I don't disagree with your take on the album.  I'm not sure whether or not I would put it as high as #2 myself, but it is definitely up there, and is definitely "the album that most Dream Theater fans have been pining for since about 2002" by almost any standard. 

And I am aware of your opinion about Neal.  I am a long-time lurker and rare poster on his forum, and have read a lot of your posts there.  I was subtlely implying that in my post, but was probably so subtle that you had no idea what I was saying.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:33:26 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »
Ahhh, OK, my eyes are opened  :lol

NP: "Oh To Feel Him"  :tup

Offline Cranky

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
In my humble opinion, A Dramatic Turn of Events is an incredible output from the band, I do agree that it's the album DT fans have been craving and begging for... For a long while.

I will say that some of the tracks leave something to be desired, Breaking All Illusions would have sat better with me if it had another verse, bridge, and chorus before the instrumental section.. And if it went back to the pre-chorus riff before going into the final chorus.

And, Lost Not Forgotten could have done with a different verse riff.. Same with Outcry. They just over-used the palm-muted syncopated chugging riffs on this album, namely in the two aforementioned songs.

But, who am I to critique Dream Theater songs...  :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
Breaking All Illusions would have sat better with me if ...*snip*... it went back to the pre-chorus riff before going into the final chorus.

At first, I agreed with this very, very much.  But as I've gotten used to the song, I've grown to kind of like the way the chorus explodes abruptly back into existence. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2011, 01:04:21 PM »

I know you're being light-hearted about this... but... if you are a member of the target audience of the band, I think you are on of the folks who should critique DT... better than many so-called "professional" reviewers who are not a fan of the genre.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »

I know you're being light-hearted about this... but... if you are a member of the target audience of the band, I think you are on of the folks who should critique DT... better than many so-called "professional" reviewers who are not a fan of the genre.

Yeah, I know. And I do critique their albums a lot, albeit, mostly personally.
They have been my favourite band for like 8 years, and I just want to see them shine for me, which is kind of selfish. But you are right, I want them to do what they want to do musically, but at the same time, I want them to do what I want musically.. And, I just stated that because the guys in Dream Theater are incredible musicians, and with that being said, musicians aren't going to make something that everyone likes, whether it's a whole song, or a particular part. 

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »
It wasnt heavy enough

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »
After subsequent listens...eh.

It's not bad, not at all. But there's nothing on the record that makes me go "holy crap, that was awesome." There are some cool riffs and passages, but nothing in-total that has me championing it.

Again, it's not bad, but I'd consider ADToE to be a "filler" album in Dream Theater's catalog. Better than the last few, but nowhere near the brighter moments of the band's career.

Pretty much where I stand on this album thus far.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »
I think it's not bad, and it has very good moments, but there's nothing truly remarkable that could make me want to listen to it again and again. The past three albums did have that, and that's why I feel disappointed with the new one. Even the guitar solos do not melt my face like they used to do  :sad:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:47:27 PM by reneranucci »

Offline Metal

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »
After subsequent listens...eh.

It's not bad, not at all. But there's nothing on the record that makes me go "holy crap, that was awesome." There are some cool riffs and passages, but nothing in-total that has me championing it.

Again, it's not bad, but I'd consider ADToE to be a "filler" album in Dream Theater's catalog. Better than the last few, but nowhere near the brighter moments of the band's career.

Pretty much where I stand on this album thus far.

I agree completely with this.

It wasnt heavy enough

And this.
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »
I think it's not bad, and it has very good moments, but there's nothing truly remarkable that could make me want to listen to it again and again. The past three albums did have that, and that's why I feel disappointed with the new one. Even the guitar solos do not melt my face like they used to do  :sad:
I was thinking the same after few first listens, but now I think that ADTOE has got some remarkable moments, they are different and so in front like older stuff, but ADTOE is a very solid album.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »
From my perspective, coming as a fan whose enjoyment of DT started to wane slightly with SFAM...

Seriously?  :|

... I, as a fan, was hoping it would be out of the chute. There are moments, just not there totally. Perhaps that will change...

Hopefully it will, dude.

the album gets better with every listen, so give it some more time and see where it goes

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
i think the writing was starting to sound the same with predictable feel changes and chord progressions on the previous few albums, but still great stuff to listen to cause it's dream theater playing, and they're a sick band.
having said that, the new sounds that they went for on adtoe made it instantly enjoyable and refreshing for me to listen to.
the gregorian chant choir, the electronica, the extra things in there that make it very rewarding to check out with decent headphones -- they get huge props for trying different things.  nothing like an important band member leaving to stir the creative juices pot up a bit more...
plus the brilliant instrumental sections in lnf, outcry and bal are amazing and take me back to what i think is their best work since 6 degrees, train of thought and octavarium.  ...mainly 6 degrees...