Poll

JP's Message to MP?

YES, So obvious.
21 (15.7%)
NO, Stop looking for nuggets!
113 (84.3%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Beneath the Surface - Message to Portnoy?  (Read 12265 times)

Offline Liberation

Re: Beneath the Surface - Message to Portnoy?
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2011, 07:19:58 AM »
EVERYTHING is about Mike Portnoy.

OTBOA is the band contemplating how fans debate about Portnoy Leaving.
BMU, BMD is about Portnoy criticizing the band because it sounds like Images and Words (Yeah, they predicted it)
LnF is DT portraying themselves as soldiers fighting against all the odds including Portnoy.
TiTL is about Portnoy.
BiTS is about DT consulting a Shaman to help them overcome Portnoy's leaving.
Outcry is about DT making a musical revolution against MP's OCD.
Far From Heaven is JLB telling MP that he cares about him leaving.
Breaking all Illusions is about John Myung.
Beneath the Surface is what the OP said...

Or maybe not. Maybe nothing's about Portnoy :neverusethis:
:rollin This post is awesome.

Seriously... I don't really think so. It seems unlikely.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 07:26:50 AM »
No. The band have stated multiple times that neither the album title nor any of the lyrics are about Portnoy.

But on more than one occasion, they've also said that the thing about music us that it can be taken many ways.

Oh, I don't deny that they dealt with the departure from Portnoy on a musical level at all - in fact, I think that there are definitely moments on the album where it shines through. It's just that I don't see any need for them to lie about the lyrics not being about him.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 07:31:21 AM »
I dont think its for mike, BUT "Far From Heaven" is, I think. Listen to the lyrics and remember it was james who wrote it. I think its about Mike wanting him out of the band. You can imagine it is hard when the leader of the band want you to be replaced.
Far From Heaven is not about Mike.  James has said that it is about the hopes and dreams people put on their children wanting them to be something they are not.  They definitely fit that.

Now as for "Beneath the Surface" personally I thought that was a possible interpretation of it.  It is written very broadly and can apply to many different situations.  This is definitely my favorite kind of lyric because it has a stronger chance that more people can relate it to their personal lives. 

But if John said that isn't what it is about I'll take his word for it.  But I don't think people that think this has to do with MP are really "digging for nuggets".   That is a plausible interpretation of the lyrics.  Now the people on page 5 or 6 of the review thread that tried to tie each single line in "Breaking All Illusions" to different Dream Theater songs: THAT is digging for nuggets.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2011, 08:06:20 AM »
I heard that The Glass Prison is about Mike Portnoy.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »
There's a middle ground here...that none of the lyrics may not be explicitely about MP and his departure, but that the situation certainly affected their frame of mind, and the emotional place from which the lyrics were written.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
I heard that The Glass Prison is about Mike Portnoy.
Get out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2011, 09:50:03 AM »
I'm sure that there are plenty of lines on the album that can be interpreted to be about Mike. Were they deliberately written with that purpose... I don't know and probably never will.

Offline Optimus

• Mr. Bateman
  • I like to dissect girls.
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
I dont think its for mike, BUT "Far From Heaven" is, I think. Listen to the lyrics and remember it was james who wrote it. I think its about Mike wanting him out of the band. You can imagine it is hard when the leader of the band want you to be replaced.
Far From Heaven is not about Mike.  James has said that it is about the hopes and dreams people put on their children wanting them to be something they are not.  They definitely fit that.

Thanks for clearing that up mate :)
That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking. I want you to clean your vagina

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2011, 10:39:02 AM »
Listening to the lyrics in BTS, it definitely crossed my mind. And, I noticed in the video interview with JP and JLB talking about the songs that JP didn't go into detail about this song, lyrically. But, I guess it isn't about MP.  :smiley:
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
There's a middle ground here...that none of the lyrics may not be explicitely about MP and his departure, but that the situation certainly affected their frame of mind, and the emotional place from which the lyrics were written.

I'm glad someone else thinks so.  I said this same thing earlier, but people only seem to be in the mood to be dismissive and sarcastic with their comments.

Offline Millais

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
I think Outcry is the song about Portnoy...
Nothing is about Portnoy.

Outcry is about the uprisings. listen to the lyrics  :P

Offline Millais

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2011, 09:40:20 AM »
oh and i'm 95% certain this isn't about MP either. though that's not to say that there isn't something about him on CD at all...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2011, 11:29:28 AM »
It could, but not to me. I have my own interpretation of what they and other songs mean.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Millais

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
It could, but not to me. I have my own interpretation of what they and other songs mean.

https://youtu.be/tuw-25y6GC4?t=5m46s