Poll

JP's Message to MP?

YES, So obvious.
21 (15.7%)
NO, Stop looking for nuggets!
113 (84.3%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Beneath the Surface - Message to Portnoy?  (Read 12266 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Beneath the Surface - Message to Portnoy?
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »
If JP penned this with MP in mind, it would be the greatest compliment and act of love a man could show to a friend....so with that in mind, I may reconsider my initial reaction, it would be like JP.

In what way?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but to me the song is really, really sad and ends on a huge downer note.  Maybe you could read it that way if you said it was JP trying to really open up and mend bridges, but I dunno.

The song's not explicitly about Portnoy, so you could say it's not about Portnoy and be truthful.  But I wouldn't be surprised if in some interview JP said "I didn't want to just write a song about me and Mike, because that would be too obtuse a statement to have on the album.  But I did want to write something about what we had gone through that could mean something in a broader sense without people just looking at it as being about us."  But we don't know.
Exactly... how could he be so obtuse?

I dunno but Myung is so acute  :angel:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »
Never even crossed my mind.  Keep looking.

Offline JustinSire

• may healing waters . . .
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »
I would say very much not so. The lyrics in that song talk about a certain alienation and withdrawal that I'm sure everyone who has ever had any relationship with anyone is familiar with. I don't think its far-fetched to suggest the MP chapter might have helped influence the song in some way, but I certainly do not think it is a direct message to him.

The song is more along the lines of "Vaccant".
"And there is a Catskill eagle in some souls that can alike dive down into the blackest gorges, and soar out of them again and become invisible in the sunny spaces. And even if he for ever flies within the gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop the mountain eagle is still higher than other birds upon the plain, even though they soar." - Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

when I'm bored I write a song - https://soundcloud.com/justindanford

Offline Vajra

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
If JP penned this with MP in mind, it would be the greatest compliment and act of love a man could show to a friend....so with that in mind, I may reconsider my initial reaction, it would be like JP.

In what way?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but to me the song is really, really sad and ends on a huge downer note.  Maybe you could read it that way if you said it was JP trying to really open up and mend bridges, but I dunno.

The song's not explicitly about Portnoy, so you could say it's not about Portnoy and be truthful.  But I wouldn't be surprised if in some interview JP said "I didn't want to just write a song about me and Mike, because that would be too obtuse a statement to have on the album.  But I did want to write something about what we had gone through that could mean something in a broader sense without people just looking at it as being about us."  But we don't know.
Exactly... how could he be so obtuse?

I dunno but Myung is so acute  :angel:
How dare you ruin my reference to Shawshank Redemption. May the Shaman have mercy on your soul.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »
EVERYTHING is about Mike Portnoy.

OTBOA is the band contemplating how fans debate about Portnoy Leaving.
BMU, BMD is about Portnoy criticizing the band because it sounds like Images and Words (Yeah, they predicted it)
LnF is DT portraying themselves as soldiers fighting against all the odds including Portnoy.
TiTL is about Portnoy.
BiTS is about DT consulting a Shaman to help them overcome Portnoy's leaving.
Outcry is about DT making a musical revolution against MP's OCD.
Far From Heaven is JLB telling MP that he cares about him leaving.
Breaking all Illusions is about John Myung.
Beneath the Surface is what the OP said...

Or maybe not. Maybe nothing's about Portnoy :neverusethis:

Offline Optimus

• Mr. Bateman
  • I like to dissect girls.
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
I dont think its for mike, BUT "Far From Heaven" is, I think. Listen to the lyrics and remember it was james who wrote it. I think its about Mike wanting him out of the band. You can imagine it is hard when the leader of the band want you to be replaced.
That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking. I want you to clean your vagina

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:53 PM »
I think the Twelve Step Suite and Never Enough were about.....nevermind.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline BanksD

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 06:38:18 PM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
I actually think "Lost Not Forgotten" might be about Portnoy, but I've been waiting to get my CD in the mail and analyz the lyrics to know for sure.  I know Petrucci said this song is about something else entirely, but maybe it's metaphorically about MP.  The thing that tipped me off was that Petrucci used the word "empire" to describe Dream Theater in the drummer documentary, if you recall that.  Well, in LNF he uses the phrase leaving the "empire," which made me think it might have a metaphorical meaning of DT and be referring to MP leaving the band.  He's lost, but not forgotten.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »
I do believe it's about MP. The other lyrics have definetely nothing to do with his departure. To me this is the only debatable case.

JP said it's not. What is there to "believe" about it otherwise?

I haven't read such a statement of his yet. D'  ya have a link or something?

@millahh  TITL is about people wishing they were someone else or having different lives. At least according to JLB.

I know...that's exactly why it seems like it could be about MP.  It's about people who are unable to be happy in their own lives, and go chasing new things, causing chaos in their wake (Think "OCD" and A7X).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Vajra

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »
I actually think "Lost Not Forgotten" might be about Portnoy, but I've been waiting to get my CD in the mail and analyz the lyrics to know for sure.  I know Petrucci said this song is about something else entirely, but maybe it's metaphorically about MP.  The thing that tipped me off was that Petrucci used the word "empire" to describe Dream Theater in the drummer documentary, if you recall that.  Well, in LNF he uses the phrase leaving the "empire," which made me think it might have a metaphorical meaning of DT and be referring to MP leaving the band.  He's lost, but not forgotten.
Lost Not Forgotten is about some historical subject according to JP.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
Lost Not Forgotten is about some historical subject according to JP.

I know, that's what he said.  But maybe it has a second meaning or metaphorical meaning that JP had in mind for the MP situation.  JP was very wise in crafting his lyrics in such a way where they could be applied to a variety of situations.  He would never come out and say a certain hostile lyric was inspired by MP's departure.  He's too respectful.  LNF's chorus could certainly apply to MP.  I haven't sat down and look at the verses yet though.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
Hell, the next thread is going to be: " A Dramatic Turn of Events Alternate Title is: Portnoy"

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
Can everyone stop bashing any suggestion that a song is related to Portnoy?  Or being short with anyone who dares to voice the possibility?  Please?  It's getting really old.  Let's try and have a mature discussion about it, please.

JP has explicitly stated that neither the album's title nor the song lyrics are directly about Mike.  That does NOT mean that it still could not have played a role in the shaping of the song...clearly the event was huge in the lives of every band member, and they all have it on their minds.  It is possible that it could have triggered some sort of emotional reaction or memory in JP, leading him to write the lyrics based off another subject.  It does not mean that the event did not influence him, however. 

Some of the lyrics seem like they could apply very well and very beautifully to the situation.  Others do not.  Again, it could have partly inspired some of the lyrics, perhaps even unintentionally or subconsciously.  So everyone, please stop bashing anyone who suggests an association...thank you.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
You guys are all wrong. Bridges in the Sky is the one about Portnoy.

:neverusethis:
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline zipporaid

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »
Can everyone stop bashing any suggestion that a song is related to Portnoy?  Or being short with anyone who dares to voice the possibility?  Please?  It's getting really old.  Let's try and have a mature discussion about it, please.

JP has explicitly stated that neither the album's title nor the song lyrics are directly about Mike.  That does NOT mean that it still could not have played a role in the shaping of the song...clearly the event was huge in the lives of every band member, and they all have it on their minds.  It is possible that it could have triggered some sort of emotional reaction or memory in JP, leading him to write the lyrics based off another subject.  It does not mean that the event did not influence him, however. 

Some of the lyrics seem like they could apply very well and very beautifully to the situation.  Others do not.  Again, it could have partly inspired some of the lyrics, perhaps even unintentionally or subconsciously.  So everyone, please stop bashing anyone who suggests an association...thank you.

Seriously, this.   I love how everyone says "JP said it wasn't about MP" in some interview,
yeah he did, but do you think he would really just come out and say it was?

I think there are lines in this album that are DIRECTLY related to MP. the fact that I can read
the lyrics of TITL and BTS and draw direct comparisons, they OBVIOUSLY would have though about this while writing.  BTS, someone closing off a relationship and not saying anything before it
falls apart,  TITL  saying the grass isn't always greener... (  FFH,  seems like JLB's Never Enough to portnoy.

"HAve you ever wished that you were someone else (a nu-metal drummer)
Traded places in your mind, it's only a waste of your time"

"Some choose to live gracefully
some get caught in the maze and lose their way home
this is the life we belong to (DT?)
our gift divine (being talented musicians?)"

How could JP write that and NOT think that we would all draw a possible comparison to MP?

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
This thread lacks bacon....

:godisgood:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
Portnoy is the clown on the cover.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 10:16:30 PM »
Now seriously, this thread exists because most of us think that there's AT LEAST one song regarding Portnoy's leaving, much like Raise the Knife.

But Raise the Knife only dedicated one verse to Kevin Moore AFAIK... So maybe they did only one verse of one of the songs regarding him, or just used his leaving as inspiration to one of the songs but not necessarily being about him.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
actually several songs are about MP: The Glass Prisson
                                                            This Dying Soul
                                                            The Root of all Evil
                                                            Repetance
                                                            TSF
You choose.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 11:02:46 PM »
Hmm. Tough choice but I'm going to have to go with The Mirror.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 11:04:34 PM »
This, can't We just enjoy of this awesome piece of music?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 11:28:48 PM »
As much as the guys will state the album title and the songs are not about Portnoy, its VERY hard to believe.  I mean, the lyrics are almost explicitly depicting Portnoy in parts.  No one else finds it wierd that Beneath the Surface is the last song and Space Dye Vest was the last song on Awake and both are extremely emotional songs and well in some sense can relate to a band member leaving? And This is the Life is screaming to me about MP's decision.  Maybe they didn't intentionally write about MP, but it seems like they did.  I think it makes the songs better because it adds REAL emotion to the lyrics and the music.  Beneath the Surface is the first DT song to make me FEEL since Disappear.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2011, 12:04:11 AM »
Some people are overanalyzing way too hard on this album. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. It doesn't always have to be smoked presidential style.

Or something like that......
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2011, 12:06:58 AM »
Some people are overanalyzing way too hard on this album. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. It doesn't always have to be smoked presidential style.

Or something like that......

:lol :lol :lol

It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline elmatto

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44:13 AM »
I thought so too, or hypothesized that it could be.
But honestly...I'm probably looking too much into it. Like has already been said.
plz read my webcomic<br /><br />https://www.drunkduck.com/Bally_Who/index.php

Offline Mladen

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2011, 02:39:59 AM »
I think John wrote the lyrics about his relationship with MP after all the stuff went down and how they both began to forget why they longed to be so close, blah blah blah. I honestly believe that's the case. Beneath the surface is the only song with unexplained lyrics in interviews so far - coincidence?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2011, 03:54:26 AM »
I think John wrote the lyrics about his relationship with MP after all the stuff went down and how they both began to forget why they longed to be so close, blah blah blah. I honestly believe that's the case. Beneath the surface is the only song with unexplained lyrics in interviews so far - coincidence?

I have explanations of the lyrics directly from the band, so I can tell you for a fact that it's not about MP at all (the explanation is specific enough to rule it out).
Since this was given to me as part of my work though, you'll have to take my word on that, because I can't really share it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2011, 04:35:52 AM »

I have explanations of the lyrics directly from the band, so I can tell you for a fact that it's not about MP at all (the explanation is specific enough to rule it out).
Since this was given to me as part of my work though, you'll have to take my word on that, because I can't really share it.
Good enough for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zipporaid

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2011, 06:41:31 AM »
This, can't We just enjoy of this awesome piece of music?

Analysis of art is what makes it interesting to me.  If they didn't want to provoke thought,
they would have kicked JLB out of the band.  Can't we discuss it?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »
It could be interpreted to be about the situation with Mike, but I doubt JP did it intentionally.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »

Wow, great, thanks for that.  :tup

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 07:06:03 AM »
Yes, because I figured there was no way it was getting many votes.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »
Seriously, this.   I love how everyone says "JP said it wasn't about MP" in some interview, yeah he did, but do you think he would really just come out and say it was?

My fallback position is to not assume he's lying.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2011, 07:16:06 AM »
No. The band have stated multiple times that neither the album title nor any of the lyrics are about Portnoy.

But on more than one occasion, they've also said that the thing about music us that it can be taken many ways.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol