85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314551 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #700 on: July 13, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »
Matt Barlow backing vocals are throughout the Glorious Burden album. He is credited so in the liner notes.

Indeed, and he is semi-audible on the Gettysburg trilogy, but for the most part he is VERY buried.

However on the acoustic WTEC song he is very very audible and clear.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #701 on: July 14, 2011, 05:21:32 AM »
So has Barlow retired out of music completely?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: July 14, 2011, 05:29:58 AM »
I doubt we will hear form Barlow again in music form.

I'll have to revisit that acoustic version of WTEC.  I think there's quite a few songs where you could hear him if I remember correctly, I haven't listened to it in a long time.  I'm sure he's pretty audible on Hollow Man also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #703 on: July 14, 2011, 10:41:59 AM »
He stated he's retiring from Iced Earth but that you he will certainly stay in music to some degree.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #704 on: July 14, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »
Was just at Brazil Under Ice Forums when I remembered I had a dream of Stu singing an old Iced Earth song, and it was terrible. I wish I could remember what song it was. He was singing something mellow into something harsher, but he sounded really emo...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #705 on: July 14, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
I recently tried Iced Earth.  I'm so sorry, guys.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #706 on: July 14, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
I recently tried Iced Earth.  I'm so sorry, guys.

Oh jeebus, what did you start with?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #707 on: July 14, 2011, 05:09:52 PM »
The Crucible of Man
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: July 14, 2011, 05:13:08 PM »
The Crucible of Man

There's your problem.  Go and get Dark Saga, Something Wicked, Burnt Offerings, Horro Show or Night of the Stormrider.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #709 on: July 14, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
The Crucible of Man

There's your problem.  Go and get Dark Saga, Something Wicked, Burnt Offerings, Horro Show or Night of the Stormrider.

Agreed, and alhough Jon Greely isn't the best vocalist by any stretch, he does a decent job, and Night of The Stormrider has Schaffer at his absolute best. Though Something Wicked This Way Comes has their best "sound" in my opinion, and might be the best place to start as the album is more accessible.  Burnt Offerings is Iced Earth's darkest gloomiest album and has their 16 minute masterpiece, Dante's Inferno. Dark Saga took me the longest to get into, but it's good for what it is, a concept album about Spawn, short and to the point. It contains my favorite IE song, A Question Of Heaven. The live version is better though. Horror Show hasn't aged the greatest for me, but I loved it for a while. It contains another favorite of mine, Dracula.

best

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: July 14, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »
A Question of Heaven just blows me away every time I listen to it.  The emotion is just incredible.  And Dante's Inferno, good lord what a song.  The AIA version is just perfect, absolutely perfect.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #711 on: July 14, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »
A Question of Heaven just blows me away every time I listen to it.  The emotion is just incredible.  And Dante's Inferno, good lord what a song.  The AIA version is just perfect, absolutely perfect.

Would be perfect, but lacks the bells outro.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: July 14, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »

Would be perfect, but lacks the bells outro.

I understand, but you know, I actually prefer the solid end they do on the live version compared to the bells.  That final riff live is incredible and the prolonged finish really wraps up the epic nicely IMO.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #713 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
The Crucible of Man

There's one intro that's better than any: Alive in Athens.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #714 on: July 14, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »
The Crucible of Man

Actually, this.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: July 14, 2011, 06:58:59 PM »
Burnt Offerings is a good starting point. Has a lot of great songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: July 14, 2011, 09:38:43 PM »
The Crucible of Man

Actually, this.

Yeah, I'd probably say that too.  After AIA, get all the other ones I mentioned.

Offline stryker

« Reply #717 on: July 15, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »
Yeah, hell you could even say ANYTHING BUT Crucible of Man!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: July 15, 2011, 07:16:01 AM »
Yeah, hell you could even say ANYTHING BUT Crucible of Man!

Yeah, pretty much, Crucible is easily IE's weakest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #719 on: July 15, 2011, 07:19:26 AM »
To me, Alive In Athens is the metal version of Frampton Comes Alive. Honestly, it's really the only thing you need from this band.
But I LOVE Gettysburg 1863.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: July 15, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »
To me, Alive In Athens is the metal version of Frampton Comes Alive. Honestly, it's really the only thing you need from this band.
But I LOVE Gettysburg 1863.

I'm with you again mate, I loved Gettysburg.  I always listened to the whole half an hour, a great piece of work.  Tim is on fire too.

Also, I'm listening to Tim's version of the Something Wicked Trilogy.  I think I like it more than Barlow's.  I just wished it had the piano intro on the Coming Curse and the vocal choir ending.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #721 on: July 15, 2011, 07:44:05 AM »
I'm listening to Something Wicked This Way Comes, for the first time in a while, and damn, I forgot how much I loved this album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: July 15, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
The trilogy always gives me chills down my spine.

Offline stryker

« Reply #723 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »
Yeah I think I'm starting to like Ripper's version of the trilogy more than the original.  At first I didn't and then I started thinking I liked them about the same.  Oh and yes Gettysburg 1863 is fucking epic!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: July 15, 2011, 08:31:05 AM »
I'm listening to Gettysburg right now!  :metal

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #725 on: July 15, 2011, 08:50:25 AM »
Yeah I think I'm starting to like Ripper's version of the trilogy more than the original.  At first I didn't and then I started thinking I liked them about the same.  Oh and yes Gettysburg 1863 is fucking epic!  :metal

I've often preferred it, Ripper fanboyism aside. I like the lower tuning they used for it. I absolutely love the epic build up for the first half of Prophecy. Tim Mills' leads are awesome. But it is not without criticism. The second half of Prophecy is bizarre. That bass tone used for the drop outs is a bit of a head scratch, and Jon palm-muting the main riff too heavily bugs me, as the original riff as is was pretty perfect. Also the dropping of the piano intro to Coming Curse was a big no-no. But other then that, I do prefer it to the original.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: July 15, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »
I listened to the "new" version of the trilogy once and that was enough for me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #727 on: July 15, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
I'm not a fan of the reworked trilogy. It's lifeless and the palm muting of the riffs ruins the whole thing. I guess I'm the only one who prefers Larry's solos. I'll admit, the beginning of Prophecy is pretty cool but it plummits to shit afterwards.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:20 AM »
Yeah my dislike for it isn't Rippers fault. Jon is just nowhere near inspired enough. Which has been his issue for awhile.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: July 15, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »
I do agree with the criticism of the plam muted riffs, mainly on the Prophecy.  I'd go as far as saying that Tim Mills was the best lead guitarist that was in Iced Earth, maybe except for Ralph Santolla (even though they both weren't really pemanent members.)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #730 on: July 15, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »
I love Iced Earth, but man this graphic always makes me chuckle:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: July 15, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
LOL.  Looks so much more complicated than it should be.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #732 on: July 21, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »
Listened to Owens' Prophecy again, and that damn palm muting kills all the momentum built up at the beginning... Ugh.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #733 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »

Iced Earth
Although Dystopia, Iced Earth’s 10th studio offering, is not a concept album, founder Jon Schaffer admits there are unifying themes to several of the songs – and even an appearance by band mascot “Set Abominae.”

“I’ve always been fascinated by the darker side of life,” Schaffer said during a break from master tracking Iced Earth’s forthcoming album. “Movies like Metropolis, Brazil, and The Matrix resonate with me. The same for albums like 2112, The Wall, and of course Operation:Mindcrime. Their images of a soulless, repressive society stuck with me over the years. It must be the sci-fi fan in me.”

In much the same way Horror Show (Iced Earth’s tribute to classic characters from literature and movies) was born, Schaffer said his interest in dystopian themes in music and movies led him to try his hand at that genre as well – even paying homage on the new album to the movies Dark City, V For Vendetta, and Soylent Green. The end result is Iced Earth meets the nightmarish offspring of Brave New World and Blade Runner.

Of special interest to long-time fans are two songs on Dystopia (the title track and “Tragedy and Triumph”) that feature the return of the “Something Wicked” storyline and “Set Abominae” – who, when last seen in The Crucible of Man [2008], had taken his position as ruler of the world.

“The opening song is a step back timeline-wise from the ‘Come What May’ track,” said Schaffer. “‘Come What May’ [the last track on Crucible] sets the scenario that it’s up to us and the decisions we make that will determine the future of the human race. These two songs [on Dystopia] take place at a time when people are in highly controlled prison-like city states, and their eventual emancipation in the closer, ‘Tragedy and Triumph’.”

In an uncanny case of art imitating life, Schaffer said Set Abominae fit perfectly with the general theme of Dystopia.

“I remember it hit me like a ton of bricks in ’97, the whole Something Wicked story did,” Schaffer said. “I thought, ‘Man, this is going to be so cool.’ Many years later, we were on tour for Crucible and we were doing an interview over in Eastern Europe. A buddy of mine said, ‘You know, Jon, this whole Something Wicked thing could be true.’ I thought about it a moment and said, ‘Well, I don’t know about that. But there are some creepy parallels in contemporary life.’”

“So as I was thinking about all of the great movies, albums, and books with dystopian themes, I remembered that conversation and it occurred to me that the Something Wicked story could continue in a few tracks here very nicely,” Schaffer said.

Schaffer admits the recording of Dystopia has been especially challenging because of the band’s summer festival gigs requiring him to criss-cross the ocean numerous times.

Despite the challenges, Schaffer says working with new vocalist Stu Block is “a pleasure.”

“You just can’t ask for a better attitude,” said Schaffer. “Stu is so excited to be here. He brings a youthful exuberance to the band, which is a lot of fun. And he’s a real dude. He’s down to earth, and willing to try anything that Jim [Morris, co-producer, engineer] or I throw at him. He’s stepping into the shoes in a very natural way.”

Schaffer continues: “We’re opening up a part of his voice and a style of singing that he didn’t even really know he had. We’re exploring this whole new range. And we’re just getting started. I believe Stu will continue to grow – and has the potential to grow – into one of the greats, one of the guys that will go down in metal history. If he stays on this course, with the attitude that he has, his willingness to learn, and his passion, he’s destined for really great things. I firmly believe that.”

Song Titles on Dystopia:

Dystopia
Anthem
Days of Rage
Soylent Green
V
Boiling Point
Anguish of Youth
Iron Will
Dark City
End of Innocence
Equilibrium
Tragedy and Triumph

Dystopia is scheduled for release in Europe on October 17th, and in the U.S. on October 18th both via Century Media. Two bonus tracks are also being recording for inclusion on special editions of the album.

The release of Dystopia will be followed by the most extensive world tour Iced Earth has ever undertaken.

The European leg of the 2011-2012 World Dystopia Tour has been posted on the band’s official web site, and all official social-media sites. The tour begins October 30th in Bochum, Germany.

Iced Earth official web site: https://www.icedearth.com/

Iced Earth’s official MySpace page: https://www.myspace.com/icedearth

Sweet! I like the cover even if it's a little cliche for Iced Earth. Can't wait!

EDIT: Oh and lol End of Innocence

Offline stryker

« Reply #734 on: July 27, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Looks sweet!  Sounds like it will already be better than Crucible!  I'll get it.  :metal