85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310684 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
Just ordered my New York VIP tickets. :2metal:

...and I actually like Sons Of Liberty, so that makes it better.  :laugh:

Jon is gonna wear out his vocals before he gets to Stormrider :P

It's quite sad that I'm making fun of one of my favorite bands that I put so much money into...
Why does everyone hate Iced Earth so much  ???

Because of how much they're failing as of late.
How so? I haven't been keeping track of them lately. But the video I posted above is  :metal , and they seem awesome live as of now.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2010, 07:44:01 PM »
Just ordered my New York VIP tickets. :2metal:

...and I actually like Sons Of Liberty, so that makes it better.  :laugh:

Jon is gonna wear out his vocals before he gets to Stormrider :P

It's quite sad that I'm making fun of one of my favorite bands that I put so much money into...
Why does everyone hate Iced Earth so much  ???

I don't hate Iced Earth. Like I said, I put a lot of money into them, and I'm proud of my collection, but Jon Schaffer is fun to pick on. I mean, come on. How is this not ridiculous:

I C E D E A R T H
with very special guest
SONS OF LIBERTY
Being a fan of both bands, I don't mind it that much (aside from the already mentioned statement that Jon may wear out his voice before IE  :tdwn ). It'll be my first time seeing either of them, and first meet & greet ever (aside from Sacred Oath, but they're not as big as IE). I'm very excited. Check this out, they all sound at the top of their game, especially Barlow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nli8cwJ1Ndg&feature=related

You're quite lucky to get the meet & greet. If you can remember, ask Jon what "Splatch" means. I know Greely sang it, but Jon didn't edit it out lol.

Also, he mentions bringing a "greatest hits" set to the US fans. I guarantee it'll be the same set we got in 2009. I wish Jon would take risks. It's like he's afraid of losing fans or something. I'm sure no one would complain if he completely revamped the set list we've been given since 2004.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
That's actually one of the reasons I probably won't go. I saw Barlows first show back (yea I'm awesome), but I have a feeling the setlist will be pretty identical, with some extra COM songs.

PLAY DANTES INFERNO!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
NO! DANTE'S INFERNO WAS ON BURNT OFFERINGS AND THAT'S ICED EARTH'S LOWEST SELLING ALBUM. I WILL NEVER SUBJECT THE FANS TO SUCH AN ABOMINATION AGAIN!

- Jon Schaffer

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »
See, I was thinking that the whole silver lining to the tripe that is Sons of Liberty is that it would provide a creative outlet for Jon and keep the political/conspiracy hogwash away from Iced Earth.

So now there is no redeeming factor for that.

I guess this sort of what Queensryche fans feel like, even though Iced Earth isn't quite there yet.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Adami

« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:11 PM »
They seriously need to ditch half of the Dark Saga songs they play, and songs like Melencholy (not a bad song, but we get it already) and anything Tim Owens orignally sang.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
Hey Zook, you post at that Iced Earth forum (Minions of the Watch I think it's called), right? Are those of us in this thread just being really negative or do most Iced Earth fans feel this way about the band now?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Adami

« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
Hey Zook, you post at that Iced Earth forum (Minions of the Watch I think it's called), right? Are those of us in this thread just being really negative or do most Iced Earth fans feel this way about the band now?

I still like Iced Earth, I even like their last two albums quite a bit. However, I agree they stopped taking risks, they're playing it VERY safe now a days, and from a band like Iced Earth, it's just lame.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »

I still like Iced Earth, I even like their last two albums quite a bit. However, I agree they stopped taking risks, they're playing it VERY safe now a days, and from a band like Iced Earth, it's just lame.

I didn't mean that we don't like the band anymore. I was just asking if most fans agree the band is heading in a bad direction or are we just coincidentally on the more negative side of things.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2010, 08:03:53 PM »

Well I don't post there much anymore, but at Brazil Under Ice https://www.icedearth.com.br/forum/ the fans kinda have a similar outlook.

Here's a post from there now:

yay, now IE serve as a promotion tool for Sons of Lavatory

Oh yeah, here's that gretaest Hits setlist for all of you who are wondering:

Burning Times
Declaration day
Vengenace Is Mine
Violate
Melancholy
some shitty song from FA or that other shitty SW concept album I couldn't care less about
Stormrider/Angel's Holocaust/Pure Evil (One of those, not all of them, of course)
some shitty song from FA or that other shitty SW concept album I couldn't care less about
My Own Saviour
A Charge to Keep
Some random song from the Gettyburg trilogy
A Question of Heaven
Dracula
Someting Wicked Trilogy
---
My Own Savior
Iced Erratic

Propably missing one or two songs from FA or that other shitty... (...), but you get the drift

Offline Adami

« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »
They're just being blande at this point. Jon has it good I guess, his life isn't as conflicted anymore, and like most artists, that affects things poorly.

I don't want his life to get worse, but until it does, his music will.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »
:lol

Okay, so it looks like we really aren't even being that negative compared to some people.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2010, 08:07:48 PM »
So does anyone wanna make any comments on the "Pure Evil" video I posted? I think they sound terrific.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
They still sound great live. I don't think that's what most of us have complained about.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »
So does anyone wanna make any comments on the "Pure Evil" video I posted? I think they sound terrific.

Yeah I watched it. They were indeed terrific, and Troy didn't fuck up or improv the solo like he usually does with other songs. Iced Earth rarely miss a beat live. Troy should have the solos down pat now anyway...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »
Well those two comments made me feel better, because I thought you guys were getting at "IE sucks nowadays (as in live/studio/everything)" and I was kinda getting down because I just spent all my money and got so excited about this and then someone said it was going to terrible (That's what I THOUGHT you guys were saying, but now I know you're not  :) ).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
No way, they kick ass live.

Here's some more goodies from Brazil Under Ice:

The following are words that I am hoping will not be associated with the next IE album (if there ever is another one).

Epic
Dramatic
Concept-based
Theme-based
Story-driven
Orchestra
Set Abominae
New singer
New bass player
New drummer
New lead guitarist

...if anyone wants to add to the list, feel free.

I want to add one: Prophecy.

Oooh, just thought of another one: Trilogy

Nothing about a thousand or a million souls too! "Wicked" has been overused, too!

Not to forget "killerest" and "yet"
  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »
I would actually welcome a new lead guitarist. But the rest is pretty right, however...epic? Really? Epic is bad?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »
No. Iced Earth is/was all about epic. Night of The Stormrider is epic as fuck.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: April 22, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »
I would love to see Richard Christy back in IE (I know he's in Charred Walls Of The Damned currently). He's one of my favorite drummers, for his work with IE and Death.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #301 on: April 22, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »
Out of Iced Earth's 4 only good drummers (Rick Secchiari, Mark Prator, Brent Smedley and Richard Christy) I'd stick with Brent, but Christy was awesome too.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: April 22, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »
My friend's dad's house is right near a record store and Christy was there for Record Store Day. Too bad my friend wasn't at his dad's house.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #303 on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »
Crucible is inferior to Framing IMO. Not just because I'm a total Tim fan boy (I am).
But it's as if the story has this amazing build in character development, and then the conclusion
is a big let down. That being said, I do like Crucible. Come What May is a great tune. Towards the end,
when Matt hits that crazy high melody line, I actually get kinda choked up. It is beautiful. But the the lyrics
are a bit to ho-hum for me. Yeah, people suck. Yeah, people should cut the shit before we kill ourselves.

EDIT: This was in response to most of what was on page 8. Didn't even realize there was a 9 :P

You know what I want? An album in the vain of Horror Show and Dark Saga. That's the IE material that is classic to me
and will never die. More horror related stuff. That's what attracted me to them in the first place.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #304 on: April 22, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
Crucible is inferior to Framing IMO. Not just because I'm a total Tim fan boy (I am).
But it's as if the story has this amazing build in character development, and then the conclusion
is a big let down. That being said, I do like Crucible. Come What May is a great tune. Towards the end,
when Matt hits that crazy high melody line, I actually get kinda choked up. It is beautiful. But the the lyrics
are a bit to ho-hum for me. Yeah, people suck. Yeah, people should cut the shit before we kill ourselves.

Well, what's baffling is that throughout Crucible, Set is going on about destroying mankind, and then after the only thrashy song about dividing and devouring mankind, he suddenly has a change of heart and decides to step back and let mankind destroy itself.

Oh, and ROUND 6 IS UP!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #305 on: April 22, 2010, 08:42:18 PM »
I think they need to go either really heavy, or go back to being fast.

My favourite tracks (beside Come What May) off Crucible were Sacrificial Kingdoms and Crucify the King.  The former's a fast song packed with great melodies; the latter's a sludgy Black Sabbath-esque beast of a song.

But just mid-tempo metal is just getting extremely old, extremely fast.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #306 on: April 22, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »
Here's something that'll never happen, but would be the best thing Jon could ever do.

An Evening with Iced Earth:

When The Night Falls
Angels Holocaust
Stormrider
The Path I Choose
Pure Evil
Travel In Stygian
Diary
Dante's Inferno
The Suffering
Something Wicked
Dracula
Gettysburg (1863)
The Domino Decree
Sacrificial Kingdoms
Come what May
Iced Earth

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #307 on: April 22, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »
I'm sick of Dracula. Great tune, but Horror Show has so many other awesome tracks and I'd like to see one (or more) of them get back in the set. In fact, they've only done four songs from the album live. I'd like to hear the other half get some stage-time. I know it'll never happen, but it'd be sweet.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #308 on: April 22, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »
I'm sick of Dracula. Great tune, but Horror Show has so many other awesome tracks and I'd like to see one (or more) of them get back in the set. In fact, they've only done four songs from the album live. I'd like to hear the other half get some stage-time. I know it'll never happen, but it'd be sweet.

They've done every song except for Phantom Opera Ghost.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #309 on: April 22, 2010, 10:50:44 PM »
Really? I've never seen a boot of anything outside Wolf, Damien, Jack and Dracula.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #310 on: April 23, 2010, 08:12:32 AM »
That's because there are no complete bootlegs of the Horror Show tour, when they played 3 sets (Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings/Dark Saga-Something Wicked/Horror Show).  A typical setlist for that tour (in Europe only though) was like this:

Iced Earth
Pure Evil
Brainwashed
Angels Holocaust
Stormrider
The Path I Choose
Curse The Sky
Travel In Stygian
---------------
Burning Times
Vengeance Is Mine
Stand Alone
The Hunter
Watching Over Me
Scarred
Slave To The Dark
A Question Of Heaven
I Died For You
Prophecy
Birth Of the Wicked
The Coming Curse
--------------
Wolf
Damien
Jekyll & Hide
Transylvania
Jack
Frankenstein
Dracula
--------------
My Own Savior

So it looks like I was wrong; the songs they haven't played off Horror Show are Im-Ho-Tep and Phantom Opera Ghost.

Offline Adami

« Reply #311 on: April 23, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »
Based on how he sings Imhotep on the album, I can picture it being kind of lacking live.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #312 on: April 23, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
WTF? 30 songs at one show?! *faints*

That being said, I agree with who stated that Melancholy is overdone. Yeah, it's an okay song, but it's been at every
damn show, and I don't find it to be the definitive "Classic" that Jon wants it to be. In fact, less Something Wicked (the original) tracks, the better I think. Good album, but the material has been overdone live, while entire albums (awesome ones might I add) like Burnt Offerings and most of Horror Show gets forgotten about.

Hey Guinea, have you done an IE top 25/50 list yet? I'd very much like to read that.

Offline Adami

« Reply #313 on: April 23, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »
I would love a show to be more Burnt Offerings focused, but as was said earlier, John seems to hate that album and I doubt we'll ever hear much from it again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #314 on: April 23, 2010, 10:21:37 AM »
What's there to hate? Because it didn't sell well? I'm pretty sure current album sales are probably close to those numbers,
so what, should he stop performing new material too? What a bone-head. IE isn't a "hits" band. They're a band that has a dedicated following of fans that want a good mix of everything represented. The focus should be on a delivering a good live performance with a wide-ranging set. Not playing the same dozen songs over and over and throwing in a new track or two.
Seeing/hearing IE live has made me appreciate songs that I previously didn't think much of (like Violate). But if they don't mix up the set, I'll never really get to see the variety of how certain songs go over live.

Im-Ho-Tep rules. They should absolutely play that live. I'd say debut it on the next tour. That would be a treat.
What other songs have they not played live? I enjoy bearing witness to a band doing such things for the audience.