85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310648 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Self Titled 30th Anniversary
« Reply #3010 on: March 02, 2021, 09:43:30 PM »
And the evil clown from SPPPAWWWWNNN!!!!

:lol I liked that part.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3011 on: March 03, 2021, 06:51:43 AM »
So funny and sadly on-point, lyrically. 

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3012 on: March 03, 2021, 08:36:05 AM »
Man, that is a high-quality pun—'A' for effort all the way!

I love the 'bear spray' shout out!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3013 on: March 03, 2021, 10:47:04 AM »
I didn't find it funny, but they captured the sound perfectly.

I kinda laughed at "they know my band".

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3014 on: March 19, 2021, 09:19:29 PM »
So Schaffer tries to get his charges thrown out and instead gets held without bond until trial. That doesn't sound great for him.

https://bravewords.com/news/jon-schaffer-held-without-bond-on-capitol-riot-charges
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3015 on: March 20, 2021, 01:20:10 AM »
I guess we'll hear that Stormrider remix in 20 years.

Online Grappler

« Reply #3016 on: March 22, 2021, 10:04:32 AM »
He is accused of a violent crime and is being treated like a violent criminal.  Not a surprise.  His own words are coming back to haunt him...all of the anti government beliefs and endorsement of the Oathkeepers aren't good for him.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3017 on: March 22, 2021, 10:14:55 AM »
I don't think he's a violent criminal and I don't think that he would be a danger to others if released. But hey, the law is meant to be equal for everyone, metal musicians don't get a bye. Also, I would have never thought he would take active part in an insurrection, so what do I really know of a guy I know only through his songs. The law will do what they have to do and his lawyers too, obviously.

Now imagine the hypothetical scenario in which he gets acquitted or he gets away with a slap on the wrists for being until then a model citizen that just got carried away in the heat of the moment (I read that his lawyers claim that he had indeed bear spray on him, but he didn't use it, so basically he "just" entered the Capitol, shouted at cops in the mob, then got sent away and went home).  Do you think he could pick up a carrer from then, or his public image is forever shot and no label or promoter will want to work with him again?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3018 on: March 22, 2021, 10:43:42 AM »
If he got out, he would still have his followers. I rarely let a musicians persona get in the way of me enjoying their music. I mean, I am a fan of Ted Nugent the musician, but I think Ted Nugent the person is a whack-job loudmouth that I disagree with on every level. Difference here is, Motormouth Ted has always been just that, all talk. I am not aware of him doing anything remotely close to what Jon did. What Jon did probably would have me rethink supporting him going forward. I won't throw out my IE stuff over this, I'll still enjoy it but it will have a slight bad taste, admittedly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:57:53 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Grappler

« Reply #3019 on: March 23, 2021, 07:10:19 AM »
He'll always have his fans - there are a lot that blatantly support what he did and/or don't care for the cancel culture aspect of it.

I'll always love the music (though I'm totally done with any Sons of Liberty material he writes), though I don't think I'll ever contribute to another kickstarter project of his.  I have a feeling he's going to spend a few years in jail, so that doesn't really matter. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3020 on: March 23, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »
I don't think he's a violent criminal and I don't think that he would be a danger to others if released. But hey, the law is meant to be equal for everyone, metal musicians don't get a bye. Also, I would have never thought he would take active part in an insurrection, so what do I really know of a guy I know only through his songs. The law will do what they have to do and his lawyers too, obviously.

Now imagine the hypothetical scenario in which he gets acquitted or he gets away with a slap on the wrists for being until then a model citizen that just got carried away in the heat of the moment (I read that his lawyers claim that he had indeed bear spray on him, but he didn't use it, so basically he "just" entered the Capitol, shouted at cops in the mob, then got sent away and went home).  Do you think he could pick up a carrer from then, or his public image is forever shot and no label or promoter will want to work with him again?

Which would be a shame; if he was acquitted, that would mean a jury of his peers didn't see enough beyond a reasonable doubt to find him guilty.   Anything you or I think from our mom's basement pales in comparison to that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3021 on: April 01, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Band photos were changed to cat pics for April fools at the Metal Archives. Here's Iced Earth's:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3022 on: April 01, 2021, 12:27:38 PM »
 :lol  badass looking cat.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3023 on: April 01, 2021, 02:09:07 PM »
It looks like Schaffer, too.  ;D

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3024 on: April 02, 2021, 01:56:09 AM »
Band photos were changed to cat pics for April fools at the Metal Archives. Here's Iced Earth's:

LoL, that's too perfect!  :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Grappler

« Reply #3025 on: April 05, 2021, 08:12:46 PM »
My copy of Jon's Wicked Words book arrived today.  I'm glad that it showed up and I'm not out $85.  My wife keeps badgering me about continuing to support him and I laughed and told her that I contributed to this last summer before any recent events.    :)

I'll give him credit - he put together a really neat book.  The thing is HUGE and heavy, with thick covers and pages.  There was a nice foreword with some testimonials from former band members and other musicians.  Each album has a synopsis page explaining the lyrical concept and where Jon was in his life at the time.  What I found surprising was that any song with a co-written lyrics was pulled, so the only lyrics in the book are songs written solely by him.

The artwork in the book is absolutely stellar. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3026 on: April 05, 2021, 08:14:34 PM »
It looked like a quality product, I'll say that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Online Grappler

« Reply #3028 on: April 06, 2021, 08:13:30 AM »
Taking a plea is the best thing Jon can do for himself.  I'm glad he's not fighting it and saying he's not guilty.   

I'm interested to see if any of the information that he provides is released publicly - the Oathkeepers have denied his affiliation, so if he's flipping on them or flipping on individuals that had more involvement in planning the riots or what he saw, it could be huge news in the investigation.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3029 on: April 06, 2021, 08:18:59 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/05/prosecutors-oath-keeper-capitol-assault-479080

The article: "Jon Schaffer, frontman with a band called Iced Earth..."

Stue Block: "Am I a joke to you? uh well, nevermind, I left the band anyway"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

« Reply #3030 on: April 16, 2021, 10:09:56 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earths-jon-schaffer-pleads-guilty-to-two-charges-for-his-role-in-capitol-riot/?fbclid=IwAR1jNjSwW_s5UbzSl-zBU5sGg-LX5qg25tockbkYVWLyjd-O-lLTsKLtzZQ

Jon pleads guilty two to of the six charges, with a maximum sentence of up to 30 years in prison. In turn, he is now a criminal informant for the government.  CNN is reporting that his sentence will be 3.5 to 4.5 years in prison, depending on the information that he can provide.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:53:15 AM by Grappler »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: April 16, 2021, 11:21:10 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earths-jon-schaffer-pleads-guilty-to-two-charges-for-his-role-in-capitol-riot/?fbclid=IwAR1jNjSwW_s5UbzSl-zBU5sGg-LX5qg25tockbkYVWLyjd-O-lLTsKLtzZQ

Jon pleads guilty two to of the six charges, with a maximum sentence of up to 30 years in prison. In turn, he is now a criminal informant for the government.  CNN is reporting that his sentence will be 3.5 to 4.5 years in prison, depending on the information that he can provide.

And he says he is a founding life long member of the oath keepers.  What an idiot IMO.  :lol and now he's a snitch too.  So much for keeping his oath eh?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3032 on: April 16, 2021, 11:26:13 AM »
Fuck. Well... Fuck. What a maroon. It's been fun. I was really looking foward to the new remix of Stormrider since it would have been fully intact.

That being said, if it ever happens, I'd rather they just remix the 2002 remix of Burnt Offerings. The drums on the original are too awful.

Online Grappler

« Reply #3033 on: April 16, 2021, 11:41:28 AM »

And he says he is a founding life long member of the oath keepers.  What an idiot IMO.  :lol and now he's a snitch too.  So much for keeping his oath eh?

I saw something where the government agreed to sponsor him for witness protection - informing on a bunch of armed militia members is certainly going to be bad for him.  My favorite band is done.  Certainly for 3-5 years ( :lol) likely for good.  There's no way he can have a music career and be in witness protection.   

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3034 on: April 16, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »

I saw something where the government agreed to sponsor him for witness protection - informing on a bunch of armed militia members is certainly going to be bad for him.  My favorite band is done.  Certainly for 3-5 years ( :lol) likely for good.  There's no way he can have a music career and be in witness protection.   

Have you heard of this new band, Chilled Terrain? Their guitarist, Jim Chafer is bad ass.

Also, I wasn't aware he was a founding member of The Oath Keepers. Ugh.

Online Grappler

« Reply #3035 on: April 16, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
Have you heard of this new band, Chilled Terrain? Their guitarist, Jim Chafer is bad ass.

Also, I wasn't aware he was a founding member of The Oath Keepers. Ugh.

:lol

He admitted to being a "founding lifetime member."  Maybe he didn't found them specifically with the guy that actually is known as their founder, but I would bet that if he didn't, he was there from the beginning, funding them by paying for a lifetime membership.  Who knows what that term means, but it proves that Jon knows a lot of significant information about the group and the capitol riot.  So damn sad.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3036 on: April 16, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »
Didn’t the group deny any affiliations with him?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3037 on: April 16, 2021, 12:22:05 PM »

That's standard operating procedure for these groups.  Deny, deny, deny.

Online Grappler

« Reply #3038 on: April 16, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »

Jon also denied any involvement when he was arrested, saying that "he bought the hat from a fan."  They both knew that he had a prominent involvement with the group and sought to initially distance themselves from each other. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: April 16, 2021, 12:47:34 PM »

Wow!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3040 on: April 16, 2021, 04:37:05 PM »
So with Jon going to prison, would my Iced Earth collection increase or decrease in value?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3041 on: April 16, 2021, 04:46:13 PM »
So with Jon going to prison, would my Iced Earth collection increase or decrease in value?

Yes. From nothing to nothing plus a head shake.

Is he even going to jail? I doubt it if he turns snitch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: April 16, 2021, 05:44:31 PM »

Still TBD, but it seems very possible even if snitching.  The snitching might just significantly lower his time and then a lot of people don't do the full time as well.  He may be free in a couple years, but if he goes into witness protection, that certainly seems like it ends his music career.  But maybe he won't do that. 

Online Grappler

« Reply #3043 on: April 16, 2021, 07:03:46 PM »

Still TBD, but it seems very possible even if snitching.  The snitching might just significantly lower his time and then a lot of people don't do the full time as well.  He may be free in a couple years, but if he goes into witness protection, that certainly seems like it ends his music career.  But maybe he won't do that.

Based on Jon's charges and his plea, the FBI is using the two charges Jon pled guilty to as a tool - they come with a 20 year and 10 year sentence.  So the rioters are faced with 30 years....unless they start talking.  So he'll get 3-5 years in prison because it has been "negotiated down," though I'm sure that's what he'd have gotten normally.  It just seems like a better deal now.  He was too prominent in the front of the charge and has too close of an association with the Oath Keepers to be let off easily with just time served.

Jon's Plea Deal (including his signature):  https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000178-dc28-d112-a97e-ffa88cc40000&fbclid=IwAR08N-I06zcEmMhVisTvggVopo0RCemMkg9St9mIqA7Pgd6doqCwMoJCMzU

Specific Facts Agreed to:  https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000178-dc33-d112-a97e-ffbb918d0000&fbclid=IwAR2iYr6bFN9D1m64wTRviy69iZTHk2egv6qAEX_xQgL4xnTPGZMT3bc3LHwamAOt4H8SosBoOYPRLuWvU3RLvNQOGfRZi0GQhtoecyESMbRrNER9zV-etMG7VaDphWtX5EOPp2S1thQ5iGHF6L73OV1YzhkdSIBmGA&__tn__=R]-R&c[0]=AT0frgFNBnSbXOCydD-afDIQpL9v6k84-Lns4YT4WqXf3_llE_FKepzbS7_mHEDgZOU_dFMewMbH7Ld5VR6TRaLGCEbYxEKdTgiAjD00whecsUw9HA9do5OhFNXlgcZyLHdEa1uqmIjm0UcXDuVOsqxXyPg1

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3044 on: April 17, 2021, 01:50:56 AM »
If anyone's interested to put a face to Jon's lawyers....

https://attorneysforfreedom.com/

I get a "Better Call Saul" vibe from the site :D