85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310845 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Demons & Wizards 2019 Tour
« Reply #2625 on: October 02, 2019, 12:30:16 AM »
If I won the lottery, I'd give a million to Barlow so he can tour with Iced Earth again. I'm sure Jon wouldn't mind booting Stu for Matt.

I'd have to win about 100 billion to even consider spending a million on something like that.

I'd consider it donating to charity. Chances are Matt probably wouldn't accept the cash though. He's too humble.

Yeah me too.

Saying that though, I'd give Stu half a mil just to leave.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2626 on: October 02, 2019, 07:42:44 AM »
Even though I liked their last album, I’m astonished how one of my favorite thrash bands took one of my favorite metal singers and just brought out the absolute worst in each other.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2627 on: October 02, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »
I'll counter: I thought the last album had some great writing and that, the Barlow impression aside, Stu found a good voice to use on future Iced Earth albums. If Stu left tomorrow, who would replace him? Someone actually likely to join, not Barlow or Ripper or, idk, Hansi?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Adami

« Reply #2628 on: October 02, 2019, 08:43:25 AM »
I'll counter: I thought the last album had some great writing and that, the Barlow impression aside, Stu found a good voice to use on future Iced Earth albums. If Stu left tomorrow, who would replace him? Someone actually likely to join, not Barlow or Ripper or, idk, Hansi?

Like I said, last album was good but he still isn’t anywhere near singing in a natural sounding voice. The writing just improved.

Who would replace him? No idea. Not Hansi. Definitely not Ripper sadly. And likely not Barlow.

Maybe Nicky Spanjaards?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2629 on: October 02, 2019, 08:46:14 AM »
Maybe Nicky Spanjaards?
:lol
Seriously, I can't really think of a good metal singer who is in pre-IE Stu's position right now. The Witherfall guy might work stylistically, but the Sanctuary guys already snatched him.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2630 on: October 02, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
Honestly, I don’t have an obvious choice to replace him. But I also would have never predicted Stu join IE either. Or Ripper.

But Stus not leaving. I just don’t like him in the band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2631 on: October 02, 2019, 09:11:33 AM »
But I also would have never predicted Stu join IE either. Or Ripper.
Me neither! But it shouldn't be hard for me to name someone who exists in any scene with clean singing (power metal, heavy metal, prog, doom, whatever) right now who might be game for joining a bigger band, and I really can't. Maybe Kelly Carpenter or that Greek guy from Wardrum? I'm not saying you in particular have to offer a replacement if you hate Stu in the band or that there is no way to find a better option (like auditioning complete unknowns). Just saying that I think y'alls are kinda harsh towards Stu considering that we don't even have anyone to point at that who could do it a lot better. Stu himself could do it a lot better if anyone bothered to tell him he doesn't have to pretend to be a baritone.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2632 on: October 02, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
It's really his live performance that bothers me most. On the albums he's alright. Sometimes he still sounds silly, like when he goes high on Great Heathen Army. In that Dracula clip I posted, he sounded pretty good during the intro. Very little Barlowing. I just don't understand how Jon can hear him live and still think he's great. Especially after reading an interview back in 2004 on Barlow's departure, saying how awful he sounded on The Glorious Burden.

I'll give Stu credit where it's due though. He made Jon's heart grow 3 sizes.

Here's the interview. He's so angry here:
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earth-s-schaffer-matt-barlow-wasn-t-comfortable-playing-the-rock-star-role/

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2633 on: October 02, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »
That interview reads as him shit-talking someone who decided to leave him. "Until yesterday I was happy to be with my wife but now I gotta tell you she's UGLY. and FAT. and LAZY."  :lol His opinions on how things should sound change with the wind anyway, and as he changes his opinions about the person, so does his opinion about the person's performance change. It's how Ripper went from the voice he hears in his head when he writes songs to "it never would have worked anyway". If Stu wakes up from his permanent high to offer a contrary opinion he'll be gone and lambasted in interviews too.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2634 on: October 02, 2019, 09:30:07 AM »
Here's the interview. He's so angry here:
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earth-s-schaffer-matt-barlow-wasn-t-comfortable-playing-the-rock-star-role/

I remember that interview, and maybe at the time it made sense, but yeah, he's so angry and bitter. He probably took it all out on Larry Tarnowski and he ended up being collateral damage   :P

"Damn, this whole situation sucks, Matt's leaving, the music business is grueling.... you know what? Larry, you just play solos anyway, GTFO as well"  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2635 on: October 02, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
That interview reads as him shit-talking someone who decided to leave him. "Until yesterday I was happy to be with my wife but now I gotta tell you she's UGLY. and FAT. and LAZY."  :lol His opinions on how things should sound change with the wind anyway, and as he changes his opinions about the person, so does his opinion about the person's performance change. It's how Ripper went from the voice he hears in his head when he writes songs to "it never would have worked anyway". If Stu wakes up from his permanent high to offer a contrary opinion he'll be gone and lambasted in interviews too.

Yeah, you're 100% correct. Although like I said, Stu brought out Jon's inner child, and he's been all smiles for years. I never understood the Ripper thing though. Using Dracula again, Ripper sounds great during the high parts, but he's off during the intro and can't convey the emotion. So during recording for that song, he had Ripper in his head, and Matt sang it his way, so he didn't get the sound he wanted. Also, Phantom Opera Ghost must have sounded really funny in his head.

He also said Matt never wrote vocal melodies. How can someone write lyrics without having vocal melodies? I guess John Myung does this too. On Pyramaze's Immortal, Matt wrote all the vocal melodies. This doesn't make sense to me. The lyricist in Pyramaze wrote all those lyrics without any melodies in mind, or were they completely different?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2636 on: October 10, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
So I decided to give Dystopia another shot, considering I've bought the album FIVE FUCKING TIMES (I finally got the sticker though) and I have to say... My opinion hasn't change a whole lot. The riffs are largely uninspired, as are the drums, which sound lifeless. Boiling Point is still silly, but not as bad as Days of Rage. I still don't understand how Equilibrium's vocal melodies slipped past Jon, as the verses are basically Anthem's but sped up. Positives: I actually think Stu sounds his best (in Iced Earth) on this album. I criticized him a lot when it came out for his Barlowisms, but he's honestly gotten worse, although the albums have gotten better. Dystopia. Anguish of Youth, V, Dark City, Soylent Green, Iron Will, and Tragedy and Triumph are all good songs. Days of Rage is horrible, Anthem is just OK, as is End of innocence, and Equilibrium is Eh. Aside from the verses, I forgot what it sounded like. It's still at the bottom of the catalog, with Crucible still beating it out. Too bad there aren't any live versions to choose over the sterile studio versions. Yes, I'm aware of Live in Ancient Kourion. It's terrible, and not just because of Stu. Jon may like playing on tempo, but live it sounds slower, and they muted the crowd!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2637 on: October 12, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »
Better late than never - I finally saw the whole Wacken show in streaming.

Whoah! amazing! it was great and energetic from start to finish, and it helped to have a lot of songs played back to back (Hansi never does this with Blind Guardian, it's a bit of a drag to have introduction - song, introduction - song, introduction - song, without exceptions). Nice selection of tunes, good job from the backing vocalists which surely helped, and of course the atmosphere of Wacken and all the pyros were great!

Now I regret not having seen them, not that they came by my nation anyway.....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: October 12, 2019, 03:27:49 PM »
I hope that Wacken show gets a release, it might have been the best of their tour.  I mean, I didn't watch all their concerts or anything but there's little doubt that performance was topped, other than maybe their last show at ProgPower  :biggrin:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Tumbleweeds
« Reply #2639 on: December 02, 2019, 05:45:50 PM »
Dream Theater is in the Burnt Offerings thanks list.

That is all.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2640 on: December 03, 2019, 01:23:35 AM »
Burnt Offerings, the album that Jon Schaffer hates but the fans love  :lol

I get his point of view, it was a troubled time with issues with the record label (which were lasting since three years) and the drummer if I remember correctly wasn't good and they had to fix 7857 mistakes in the studio but come on, it turned out good. It's not perfect but it's ultra heavy, ultra relentless and the title track is one of my favorite IE songs period (and of course DANTE'S INFERNO, D'uh). It's an angry album written in angry times and it shows. It's not their best but far from the failure that Jon perceives it to be (at least according to his own experience, he acknowledges that many fans like it and he's happy about it).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2641 on: December 04, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »
Burnt Offerings, the album that Jon Schaffer hates but the fans love  :lol

I get his point of view, it was a troubled time with issues with the record label (which were lasting since three years) and the drummer if I remember correctly wasn't good and they had to fix 7857 mistakes in the studio but come on, it turned out good. It's not perfect but it's ultra heavy, ultra relentless and the title track is one of my favorite IE songs period (and of course DANTE'S INFERNO, D'uh). It's an angry album written in angry times and it shows. It's not their best but far from the failure that Jon perceives it to be (at least according to his own experience, he acknowledges that many fans like it and he's happy about it).

I actually think it is one of their best. Jon said he almost quit during that time so I guess the album really just brings bad memories. I can understand that. Certain songs, and even some foods remind me of shitty times.

It's amazing how crappy the drums are on it though. I think it was Dave Abell who brought him in, if I'm remembering the Podcast in Stone episode right. It must have been hell fixing all that for the remix, but you'd never know if you hadn't heard the original.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2642 on: December 04, 2019, 11:18:51 AM »
I maybe heard the original once, but can't remember much of it. Doubt I listened to all of it.

But on the amazing remixed/whatever version? I love the drumming. Way more than I like how the drumming is nowadays.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2643 on: December 04, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
I maybe heard the original once, but can't remember much of it. Doubt I listened to all of it.

But on the amazing remixed/whatever version? I love the drumming. Way more than I like how the drumming is nowadays.

I challenge you to listen to the original. You'd think they rerecorded the drums with a different drummer for the remix. 

And yeah, Brent's great, but lacks dynamics. I wish they just kept Mark Prator.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2644 on: December 04, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »

I challenge you to listen to the original. You'd think they rerecorded the drums with a different drummer for the remix. 

No way I'm listening to a whole (poorly mixed) album just to hear if something sounds bad. Give me a specific song and I'll check that out. Assuming if I youtube "original .........know what? Send me a link to the song, so I know it's right and I'll check it out.

Then I shall render my decree and it will be final.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2645 on: December 04, 2019, 11:49:11 AM »

No way I'm listening to a whole (poorly mixed) album just to hear if something sounds bad. Give me a specific song and I'll check that out. Assuming if I youtube "original .........know what? Send me a link to the song, so I know it's right and I'll check it out.

Then I shall render my decree and it will be final.

What's the matter, McFly? Ya chicken?

If I remember correctly, Creator Failure needed the most work.

Offline Art

« Reply #2646 on: December 13, 2019, 09:12:44 AM »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2647 on: December 13, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
That is such an awesome song and video. I'm so excited for this album.  Jon and Hansi are two of my favorite musicians of all time and they compliment each other so well musically.

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2648 on: December 13, 2019, 01:19:08 PM »
Good to see a metal band producing a top notch vid for once.  Pretty good song too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2649 on: December 13, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »
Good song. Everyone is in top form. After one listen though, it's not better than Crimson King or Heaven Denies.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. NEW D&W SINGLE: DIABOLIC
« Reply #2650 on: December 13, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »
I like it, dislike the outro though.  With all the lyrics of heaven denies, it has that same drawn out ending after a kick ass metal song.  The music video is awesome.  Looking forward to this for sure.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2651 on: December 13, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »
Awesome video, good song, bland chorus that felt more like a bridge (I expect it will grow on me). And yeah, once again a slow outro as a buzzkill for the first song.

Still, we're getting new D&W music, yay!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2652 on: December 14, 2019, 01:57:40 AM »
I like it, dislike the outro though.  With all the lyrics of heaven denies, it has that same drawn out ending after a kick ass metal song.  The music video is awesome.  Looking forward to this for sure.

Yeah on first listen the outro didn't seem to fit.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #2653 on: December 14, 2019, 08:16:08 AM »
Good song, super excited for the album!

And a surprisingly well made video, they really put effort into this D&W revival.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2654 on: December 14, 2019, 05:26:20 PM »
Glad to see them back in action. I remember when I heard their debut back in the day, I was blown away how tight and crisp that album was. Mike Prator is a beast!

Great live clip:
Demons & Wizards - 2 Songs - Live at Wacken Open Air 2019
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2655 on: January 17, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
I honestly thought it was an AC/DC cover at first.

Midas Disease
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RjVEVU5uP0A&feature=youtu.be

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2656 on: January 17, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »

Haha, true!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2657 on: January 17, 2020, 05:49:15 PM »

Midas Disease
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RjVEVU5uP0A&feature=youtu.be

This is...........strange.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: January 17, 2020, 06:46:22 PM »
AC/DC at the start and then at 0.40 it morphs into WASP  :lol

I don't mind it - certainly not what I would expect from these guys.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2659 on: January 17, 2020, 07:11:30 PM »
WTF?

Demons & Krokus.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol