85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310681 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2380 on: March 05, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
I didn't know JR was on tour with them.

:rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2381 on: March 14, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »
Stu just shared this on Facebook - what a badass picture!  He didn't do this at the show I saw, but Jake did hop up on the corner of the drum riser for one of his solos. 

I think it was during the first verses of Travel in Stygian, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNo-DQ3qwIw. Looks cool. And the (decent for a yt boot) sound of this video makes Stu performing this song sound much more flattering than the last vid that was shared. It is not a Stu song, but I would love to witness this live regardless.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2382 on: March 14, 2018, 06:15:14 PM »
Yea, he did that in LA when I saw them. It was earlier on in the set.

It was cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2383 on: March 14, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
Oh that's awesome.  I've been scouring the videos on youtube looking for that moment when he climbs up there. 

I was in the 3rd row, right in front of Jon, so I pretty much just heard drums, bass, and Jon's guitar.  It was fun being so close to my favorite band, but Stu's vocals weren't as clearly audible from where I was standing, though I could hear them.  I love that he doesn't sing it in Matt's melody and uses something closer to the original.  Honestly, I was happy watching Jon's picking hand for most of the show.  They're playing these songs at such a fast tempo, it was amazing to watch him tear it up, and I'd notice things that I never really noticed before (like when he'd switch from clean to distorted sounds).  As much of a vocals guy as I am, it was neat to focus on just the rhythm guitar for most of the night. 

Online Adami

« Reply #2384 on: March 14, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »
Yea, they were cool when I saw them, but I just don't dig Stu singing for them. Just don't. And I love Stu.

Doesn't help that the mix wasn't great. It was a TON of low end. So ton of boomy kick drums. Very very little guitar, tons of bass, and vocals. Not great for IE.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2385 on: March 14, 2018, 11:54:51 PM »
Quote from: ErHaO link=topic=277.msg2415473#msg2415473 date=1521059659

I think it was during the first verses of Travel in Stygian, see: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNo-DQ3qwIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNo-DQ3qwIw[/url]. Looks cool. And the (decent for a yt boot) sound of this video makes Stu performing this song sound much more flattering than the last vid that was shared. It is not a Stu song, but I would love to witness this live regardless.

Bring back John Greely.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2386 on: March 15, 2018, 04:45:56 AM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2388 on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:17 AM »
New round of european dates, and this time Italy is in!!!  :metal

1 hour away from where I live, but it's 95% highways. You get out of the highway and you're literally at the venue, been there already once. It's a sunday. Very very very likely I will go!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #2389 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:45 AM »
Apparently Matt Barlow rejoined them on stage for a song in Baltimore.

THE ONE REASON TO LIVE IN BALTIMORE! god dammit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2390 on: March 20, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
Yep, its on YouTube. They did Watching Over Me.

THE BARLOW.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I love Stu, and fully support him being Iced Earth's singer. Just a great vocalist. But THE BARLOW will always be the band's classic vocalist, and the one I associate with them. Love that guy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

« Reply #2391 on: March 20, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
I remember seeing Matt select that he was "interested" in the Facebook event for this concert a while back online and thought "well this could be really neat."  He's generally stayed away from the band since he left.  So it's awesome to see him attend the show as a fan and the band reach out and allow him back onstage as a guest.  Jon's been in a big reconnecting phase lately - Gene Adam and Bill Owen of Purgatory were at the Atlanta concert and took pics with him and the band.  I think Jon alluded to something happening with some of these former members in an interview not long ago.  Who knows if that will ever happen, but at least he's committed to Demons & Wizards during Iced Earth's breaks in touring this year.

For anyone who isn't part of the Podcast in Stone Facebook group already, a number of former and current members of the band occasionally participate.  Matt, Freddie Vidales, Gene Adam, Bill Owen (Purgatory), John Greely, Dave Abell, Jonah Weingarten (of Pyramaze/Sentinels/Teramaze) and Brent come to mind right now, but there may be more lurking around.  They've also interviewed Jon, Stu, Matt, Luke and some of the former members (Gene, Randy Shawver, Larry Tarnowski, and Troy {coming this week}).  While the hosts come off as really fanboy-ish at times, the interviews have all been fantastic and they do ask some wonderful questions and get some great conversations going with these guys.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2392 on: March 20, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
Funny seeing Stu fanboying.

Um, Matt really didn't look like he wanted to be there, but that was awesome anyway. And not to shit all over Stu, but he doesn't hold a candle to Matt even at his age and being away from the game for so long. And he sounds even sillier singing right next to him.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2393 on: March 20, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
I just wish Matt would finally release the second Ashes of Ares album. They've been teasing it for a while. Put it out already. Need some new Barlow!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Grappler

« Reply #2394 on: March 20, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
I just wish Matt would finally release the second Ashes of Ares album. They've been teasing it for a while. Put it out already. Need some new Barlow!

As of last fall, they had the bulk of the writing done and were shopping for labels.  They seemed to think the album would be out in 2018.  I do know that the Sentinels record is fully finished, but he and Jonah were trying to find a label that would release it as well.

You can never go wrong with more, and new, Barlow.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2395 on: March 20, 2018, 12:35:53 PM »
THE BARLOW.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I love Stu, and fully support him being Iced Earth's singer. Just a great vocalist. But THE BARLOW will always be the band's classic vocalist, and the one I associate with them. Love that guy.

Yeah, same here. Jon better hold on tight to Stu and I love the guy, but Iced Earth's definitive singer will always be Matt Barlow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2396 on: April 18, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
The last discussion about Barlow (I've seen the video.... it's awesome and also funny how Jon looks on with pride and a big smile to see his old brother on stage again with him, and Stu giggling like a fanboy at the idea of sharing the stage with him) is a nice lead-in to his latest solo project.... remember when he announced an orchestral / symphonic project? well, it's coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1D-6cSf3Fk

That was awesome. Not your standard or even metal awesome, but still awesome.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2397 on: April 18, 2018, 01:15:59 PM »
I can't wait for the We Are Sentinels disc (I guess they changed their name from Sentinels).  The climax of that song gives me goosebums, hearing him launch into those higher vocals.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2398 on: May 07, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwrDjZg3LT0

Ashes of Ares announce signing with Rock of Angels Records in Greece...album #2 should be out in 2018.  Sucks that they're not on Nuclear Blast....maybe that was just a one album deal and it didn't do well enough to warrant a second album.

The snippets of the demo songs in Matt's announcement video sound awesome.  Much faster than anything on the first album.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2399 on: May 26, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »
I discovered I had $15 in rewards from Best Buy so I ordered Incorruptible for $1.13 lol

I've been listening to a lot of IE lately. Mostly the Barlow Era, and I made a new version of my Sounds of Hell edition of Dante's Inferno just for fun. It needed to be in better quality. I think my original version is still better as in better mixed. I didn't really change anything. All the key sounds are still there. I just wish I had more sound effects though, but the FX CDs aren't available anymore.

Anyway, Days of Purgatory is a great collection. I don't care what anyone says, Matt sounds great. I EQ fixed Stygian because they fell asleep at the board that day. I don't know what it is about that song. Jon took out the second part of the solo and the acoustic guitar, and then for the remix, he fucked with the section before the last verse. Terrible ideas. We still have the live version though. As far as the BO songs, the only difference I noticed on DI was the echo effects on the names of the devil were removed. The cymbal hits on Creator Failure don't really count and the intro to the title track was addressed in the book. All in all, the songs sound so much better with Matt. I will say the mix isn't the greatest, but I love the volume of the kick drums.

Also, Jon Greely is a conspiracy theorist... Like majorly.

Also, also, I checked out the Festivals of the Wicked sets because I never gave them a proper listen, and Matt actually sounds really good on the 2 Ripper songs.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #2400 on: June 26, 2018, 12:13:34 AM »
I'm a newer fan of Iced Earth and have been listening to them obsessively over the past few months. After hearing all their albums multiple times, I feel confident enough to make my Top 5 list.
1. Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1. The first Iced Earth albums I bought were all from the Barlow era and I couldn't imagine anybody else behind the mic, and so I was surprised by how much I loved this album immediately. The songwriting is really strong here, and those soaring, epic choruses from Something Wicked (Part 1), A Charge to Keep, Ten Thousand Strong, and When Stars Collide get stuck in my head for days. And miraculously, when I hear Tim Owens on this album, I don't really miss Barlow that much.
2. Something Wicked This Way Comes
3. Dark Saga
4. Burnt Offerings. Once I heard The Pierced Spirit and Dante's Inferno, I knew this band was something special.
5. Horror Show.  Does anyone here agree with me that Dracula is their best song ever?!

Is this Top 5 list pretty typical of Iced Earth fans or was there a surprising omission?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2401 on: June 26, 2018, 01:01:40 AM »
What surprises is that Framing Armageddon is your favorite  :D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: June 26, 2018, 01:27:42 AM »

5. Horror Show.  Does anyone here agree with me that Dracula is their best song ever?!

Is this Top 5 list pretty typical of Iced Earth fans or was there a surprising omission?

Not my fave album (and I haven't heard every single thing they have done) but I'd say Dracula is probably my favourite song of theirs.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: June 26, 2018, 02:23:57 AM »
Night of the Stormrider is the glaring omission.

Dracula is a top 5 IE song for me.

Dante's Inferno is still my favorite.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2404 on: June 26, 2018, 03:39:53 AM »
Thinking about seeing them on July 12th. I have an exam the day later but I should be done studying be then :justjen and I loved their latest, would like to hear those songs live and I like the rest of the setlist. (I guess I came here so someone say me to just go :lol )
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2405 on: June 26, 2018, 04:07:06 AM »
They're playing this sunday (damn) 1 hour away from me (damn), but both me and a friend entered into a contest to win tickets. If either I win or she wins, I guess we'll go together, traveling in pair is better than going alone  :hat

Online Grappler

« Reply #2406 on: June 26, 2018, 07:01:19 AM »
What surprises is that Framing Armageddon is your favorite  :D

Yeah, that's the only surprise.  I think The Glorious Burden is the best album with Tim and certainly has Jon's best songwriting compared to Framing Armageddon.  I remember reading Tim's official forum about 10 years ago and his fans were salivating over the Framing record, which I never really felt the same for.  But it's cool that someone loves the album that much!

I remember when Dracula was debuted as the lead single from Horror Show and how exciting it was.  It felt like a Blind Guardian song with Matt's vocals, which are just awesome.  I always kind of forget about the song when thinking about my top 5 songs.  Burning Times is in there, Coming Curse.  Definitely Gettysburg (High Water Mark, if I have to pick one of the 3). 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2407 on: June 26, 2018, 07:03:44 AM »
My unholy trinity of Iced Earth would be The Coming Curse, Burnt Offerings and A Question of Heaven, but yeah, Gettysburg's trilogy is awesome and as I previously said, as much as Matt was and always will be IE's ultimate singer, I can't imagine anyone else than Ripper singing the "It's over now" final section of High Water Mark.

IT'S ALL MY FAAAAAUUUULT
THE BLOOOD IS ON MY HAAAAAAAAAAANNNDSSSSSS  :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #2408 on: June 26, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »
Framing Armegedon is better than Glorius Burden. To me at least.

But yea, Dante’s Inferno is their best song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2409 on: June 26, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »
Dante's Inferno is flawless.

I also have to give the edge to FA over TGB because FA doesn't have anything remotely close to being in the same league of bad as Hollow Man.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2410 on: July 06, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »
The We Are Sentinels album is out today!  I've listened to it a few times and Matt sounds incredible.  It's weird to not hear him in front of a big, chugging riff though.  But there are layers upon layers of his vocals and I find myself humming Jonah's keyboard melodies as if I would a guitar riff that gets stuck in my head.  It's a very unique album, that's for sure.

There's a really cool cover of Holy Diver as well.   :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2411 on: July 06, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
The We Are Sentinels album is out today!  I've listened to it a few times and Matt sounds incredible.  It's weird to not hear him in front of a big, chugging riff though.  But there are layers upon layers of his vocals and I find myself humming Jonah's keyboard melodies as if I would a guitar riff that gets stuck in my head.  It's a very unique album, that's for sure.

There's a really cool cover of Holy Diver as well.   :metal

I need to pick that up. I forgot about it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2412 on: July 21, 2018, 02:09:53 PM »
I'm not really interested in We Are Sentinels. I love good Symphonic Metal, but one of the main ingredients to that is missing: the METAL. It's unfortunate because of how awesome the two guys involved are.

In other news, I just listened to the "rough mix" of Burnt Offerings from the Slave to the Dark box set, and although the production is poor, and Schaffer vastly improved the album overall in 2002, there are some subtle nuances he removed for the remix that I really enjoyed. I haven't compared the original release to this "rough mix", but besides opening cymbal hits in Creator Failure, I'm pretty sure it's just the original release labeled "rough mix".

Online Grappler

« Reply #2413 on: July 23, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
I haven't listened to We Are Sentinels since it came out.  It's unique and both Matt and Jonah's stuff is awesome, but it's really missing the "rock out" factor that I want when I listen to music. 

I never listened to the rough mix of Burnt Offerings....I wonder if it's the same as the "alternate" mixes that were included on Days of Purgatory.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2414 on: July 25, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »
The original Burnt Offerings is a rough mix. I find it unlistenable. Always have.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol