85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310673 times)

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2345 on: January 01, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »
Part 3 of the interview has been uploaded.  Jon elaborated on a few additional items mentioned in Parts 1/2:

Album rerecording is scheduled for 2019.  He plans rerecord the first three albums in full (s/t, Stormrider, Burnt Offerings) due to being unhappy with the original productions and a desire to tweak some arrangements.  May not do the albums in order.

Jon was just quoted in some interview that the album rerecording is also (and truly the main reason) due to the fact that he/Iced Earth do not own the rights or masters to any of the original music.  Certainly the original Century Media discs, but he mentioned the first eight albums, which would potentially include up to Framing Armageddon.  So by re-recording the music, he can then own the rights to the new versions of the songs and start generating income for the band.  He's placing a ten-year timeline on the project, so it's not going to be a giant onslaught of material coming out, especially as they focus on the Incorruptible cycle, plus writing and recording for a third Demons & Wizards album.

Testament did the same thing on First Strike Still Deadly - they couldn't re-release the first two discs, so they just re-recorded some songs instead to get around the ownership issue.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2346 on: January 01, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »
Dumb, but luckily I can just ignore them if I don't like them, and I'm definitely not going to like them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: January 02, 2018, 04:09:39 AM »
Re-record every album up to FA?!  Get the fuck out of here Jon.  As Grappler said, a solid best of re-record will do for sure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2348 on: January 02, 2018, 08:23:04 AM »
This is just another example of how broken the record industry is/was. I know this isn't the first time I have heard of a band re-recording classic music of theirs for the sole purpose of getting rights back to their own music.

Thanks to the Days Of Purgatory 2 disc set I already have the first 2 records almost entirely sung by Barlow so I don't have much use for this. Not sure how they would work with Stu. I think I have 1 song on each album by the original vocalist. I guess I could replace them with the Stu sung track. I don't know. I will at least check out samples but it is hard to improve on Matt Barlow.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Grappler

« Reply #2349 on: January 02, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »
Here's the exact quote - the first six records, which is up to and including Horror Show.  The original Century Media contracted albums.

On the band's future plans:

Jon: "We are going to be re-recording [our older] records over the course of, probably, the next 10 years. We're going to be doing a lot of the ICED EARTH catalog because I don't own the master rights and there's no real income coming from that. If we redo those records, then everybody in the band will be able to get a royalty in the future moving forward. It's going to be a big project and it's going to be a lot of fun to do, to really dig back into those records — especially, like, the first six. That's what we're gonna focus on. I don't know which one we're gonna start with yet. I have a pretty good idea which one, but the guys and I will talk over that in the next few months. Not to take away, because I think those albums are great, but the fact is that it was a bad business deal for ICED EARTH, and for us going forward, we want to be able to have control of our catalog and of our destiny."

"If it takes three or four years for another ICED EARTH record, then so be it. I don't think that it will, but if it does, okay. Going forward, we're not going to be under any pressure to make another ICED EARTH record to the point where we're rushing it in between scheduled tours or something. I'm just not going to do that. It's going to be more, you know, we take our time and make the record that we want to make, and then, we put it out. And if we do that, we're going to end up with albums like 'Incorruptible' all the time, because it's not forced. It's like you're allowing the energy to flow the way it's supposed to and coming up with the goods. That's all about learning from past experiences and just trying to go with the flow and not force something because of a time commitment. And besides, now that we are free [agents], the way that we're going to be doing business as a band going forward is going to be completely different than anything in the past. That, also, gives us a lot of possibilities of dictating the way that our future is done. So, it's a great period for the band right now, actually."

I think it's important to note that he wants everyone in the band to get a royalty.  Sure, he gets the biggest chunk, but he wants to see those guys get a share as well.  This ties in with him building his own studio and HQ for the band.  He seems to want independence from record labels, now that his current contract has finished by releasing Incorruptible.

I don't mind him re-recording stuff, even if it's full records.  It's not like it disappears from my collection when a new version comes out and a new version could be neat to hear, though it's going to be weird to hear the Barlow albums with a new singer and production.  I agree - I don't think you can improve on it and it will likely sound like the live versions on Live in Ancient Kourion.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2350 on: January 02, 2018, 08:38:01 AM »
I get his reasoning, and that he's doing it for good reasons and not for nostalgia, but man, what a mess IE's discography will become. A new fan wanting to educate himself on the band will get a headache trying to figure out which singer was originally on whcih album.

Uh well, I guess we can consider the new albums an alternate timeline of IE or whatever. The old ones won't disappear suddenly.

About the first album to start - this year it's Something Wicked's 20th anniversary, and it's one of the most successful anyway... *hint hint*
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

« Reply #2351 on: January 09, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
European tour starts tonight!  Can't wait to see the setlist.

They have some badass new shirt designs....I usually get the shirts with tour dates, but I love the 3 Decades Strong and Black Flag shirts.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2352 on: January 09, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »
Man those are some killer shirts. I'd love to have one. Only IE clothing I have is an oooold hoodie, still in almost perfect condition, I think I got it in '05. Has Set Abominae on the back with some killer artwork but some of those cheesy (imo) words up the sleeves. The Watcher!

I also agree with MM, rerecording those albums is gonna turn the discography into chaos. Organizing that stuff is gonna be hell!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Grappler

« Reply #2353 on: January 09, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
I actually just noticed that the official IE website only recognizes the remixed and remastered versions of the debut, Stormrider and Burnt Offerings.  The original albums are no longer listed - for a long time, the discography section listed the original and remixed versions separately.

If/when they re-record the albums, the band may consider only the re-recorded versions to be the official ones - especially if they want to start pushing the sale of those versions to generate revenue. 

Sucks for guys like Matt Barlow - he's known as the classic singer in the band and there is potential for the albums that he appeared on to no longer be part of the band's official discography.  Century Media will obviously still sell those versions, since they own the rights and he'd still be paid for them, but the band may not recognize them.  Or, Iced Earth will consider the remixed albums to be the "original" versions and the re-recorded ones could be cataloged separately like they had previously done.  Thus, the true original versions are dropped because Jon is no longer a fan of the production on those albums, hence the remixed versions from Dark Genesis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2354 on: January 09, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
Barlow's albums will always be the 'official' versions of those albums regardless of the remastering, rereleases, rerecordings... same with the first two albums, they are what they are. They've mucked it up so much already that all the rereleased/rerecorded material is in its own category but doesn't overtake the originals. I remember scratching my head when Ripper came in for Framing Armageddon and they rerecorded the Something Wicked songs... and then Barlow was back for the next album anyway  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2355 on: January 09, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
I still see the original albums:

https://icedearth.com/discography/page/2/
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

« Reply #2356 on: January 09, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »
I still see the original albums:

https://icedearth.com/discography/page/2/

Oops.   :facepalm:

Didn't see that there was a page 2 - that kind of blends in at the bottom.  I was surprised, because they had always had those albums on the discography page, and they apparently still do!  Nevermind then.   :biggrin:

Online Grappler

« Reply #2357 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
Setlist for the European tour:

Great Heathen Army
Burning Times
Dystopia
Black Flag
Seven Headed Whore
I Died for You
Vengeance Is Mine 
Cthulhu
Dracula
Brothers
Last December
Raven Wing 
Prophecy
Birth of the Wicked
The Coming Curse
Stormrider
Angels Holocaust
Travel in Stygian

Encore:
Clear the Way (December 13th, 1862)
Watching Over Me (Dedicated To Warrel Dane) 

This is one ripping setlist, and the first time that they've dropped Iced Earth from the set in 20-30 years.  I hope that this full set carries over to the US.  On the Plagues tour, they reduced the set from 19 songs in Europe to 14 in America, though I don't know if that was because of time limits or Jon's neck injury.

6 from Incorruptible, 5 from Something Wicked (including the Trilogy in honor of the album's 20th anniversary), 3 from Stormrider, and a few of these songs Stu has yet to sing (Last December, Prophecy, Birth of the Wicked, Travel in Stygian).   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: January 12, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »
Some songs like Last December, I don't care much about, but yeah, that setlist is on fire. Wow.  :metal

Online Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2359 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »
Between this killer setlist and the news that Joseph Michael will be stepping in for Warrel Dane to Sanctuary's farewell shows on this tour, I'm growing more and more upset that I'm missing the Charlotte show because of my recent move to Japan... :lol

The only thing I could say to improve the setlist a bit would maybe be switch out Last December with Burnt Offerings or Creator Failure. Schaffer would never do that though, unfortunately.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Adami

« Reply #2360 on: January 12, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »
I love Last December.

I'm seeing them in March, but for some reason, Stu is a lot like Mangini to me. I loved him in other projects, but in IE, he just seems sterile and very very meh, so I don't get excited about hearing him do older material.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2361 on: January 12, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
I love Last December.

I'm seeing them in March, but for some reason, Stu is a lot like Mangini to me. I loved him in other projects, but in IE, he just seems sterile and very very meh, so I don't get excited about hearing him do older material.

Last December isn't bad, but Burnt Offerings is arguably the band's best work and it's the only song that the band ever plays from it these days aside from Dante's Inferno every once and awhile.

When was the last time they played Diary live? Or how about Burning Oasis? There's quite a few jewels on that album that just don't get played because Jon associates the music with the period in his life that created it too much.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Adami

« Reply #2362 on: January 12, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »
Yea. The remix of Burnt Offerings might be my favorite album of theirs.

Sucks Jon hates all but one song so much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: January 12, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
That's a great setlist.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2364 on: January 12, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2365 on: January 13, 2018, 05:01:28 AM »
Why is Stormrider before Angels Holocaust? Otherwise a great set.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2366 on: January 26, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »
Here's Stormrider, Angels Holocaust, and Travel in Stygian Live with Stu.

Stu sings the original melody for Stygian which is fine (although the updated version is way better), but he sounds fucking terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr1fLdy8vpI

Online Adami

« Reply #2367 on: January 26, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »
The hell happened to his high notes? He's technically hitting them, but I've written on paper thicker than that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2368 on: January 26, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
As someone who often really likes Stu, I agree Stu doesn't sound good in that clip during Travel in Stygian. Song doesn't fit his voice at all. Hopefully it is just the melodies, and not his voice in general, because a couple of years back I loved his Dracula performance. Still, seems like an ace setlist and a good time live. I do still think Stu could sing a bit more "natural" when he is singing more clean, but at this point I don't think that Barlow impression esque singing will dissapear ever.

But singers sounding off has been a problem with modern IE live in general. Barlow sounded terrible on some Ripper era IE songs as well after his return. Ripper to my knowledge always sounded fine but not more than that (voice lacks melody, when not going balls to the wall screaming). If they rerecord albums, I hope Jon will accomodate the songs to suit Stu better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: January 26, 2018, 05:24:18 PM »
Yeah, Stu isn't great there on Stygian, but man, Jon's right hand never ceases to amaze me, such tight rhythm.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2370 on: February 26, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
Yeah, Stu isn't great there on Stygian, but man, Jon's right hand never ceases to amaze me, such tight rhythm.

I saw the Milwaukee show last night and was in front of Jon the whole night in the 3rd row.  They played faster than I think I've ever seen them play - his right hand was a total blur, just laying out riff after riff after riff.  One song right into the next, into the next.  It was so awesome to see him energized again.  My last time seeing them was on the Plagues tour in 2014, when he was suffering from his neck issues and he and the band just looked so tired.

Not last night, they were completely on fire and tore through their set with a frenzy that I'd never seen in 4 prior shows.

Sanctuary was incredible as well - Joseph Michael was like Warrel Dane from 1991 reincarnated.  He absolutely nailed every one of those songs...and claimed via a joke on stage to be fairly lubricated as well.  Hats off to him for stepping up and letting us get to see Sanctuary live.  They hit the jackpot in hiring him for the tour.

Online Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2371 on: February 27, 2018, 12:25:31 AM »
Sanctuary was incredible as well - Joseph Michael was like Warrel Dane from 1991 reincarnated.  He absolutely nailed every one of those songs...and claimed via a joke on stage to be fairly lubricated as well.  Hats off to him for stepping up and letting us get to see Sanctuary live.  They hit the jackpot in hiring him for the tour.

I've only been able to look up some videos on YouTube since I don't live stateside anymore, but yeah, I'm kinda blown away by the clips I've seen. I figured Joseph would nail it, but he's kinda exceeded my expectations. I actually kind of hope that Sanctuary decide to continue on as a band with him at the mic.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Grappler

« Reply #2372 on: February 27, 2018, 06:15:58 AM »

I've only been able to look up some videos on YouTube since I don't live stateside anymore, but yeah, I'm kinda blown away by the clips I've seen. I figured Joseph would nail it, but he's kinda exceeded my expectations. I actually kind of hope that Sanctuary decide to continue on as a band with him at the mic.

I watched a few clips as well and got the sense of "oh, ok, he can hit the high notes," but when I saw the full set, there was so much more.  Yeah, he soared and nailed Battle Angels like you wouldn't believe, but he also was amazing on the moodier stuff like the title tracks to Into the Mirror Black and The Year the Sun Died.  He certainly tapped into his inner Warrel.

I had that same thought - hoping that they'd do an album with him.  Their statement led me to believe that this was the last we'd see of Sanctuary.

Online Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2373 on: February 27, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »

I watched a few clips as well and got the sense of "oh, ok, he can hit the high notes," but when I saw the full set, there was so much more.  Yeah, he soared and nailed Battle Angels like you wouldn't believe, but he also was amazing on the moodier stuff like the title tracks to Into the Mirror Black and The Year the Sun Died.  He certainly tapped into his inner Warrel.

I had that same thought - hoping that they'd do an album with him.  Their statement led me to believe that this was the last we'd see of Sanctuary.

Yeah, there's a brief partial clip of him singing The Year the Sun Died on YouTube that blew me away. I dug his take on Arise & Purify, but you're spot-on. He nailed the moodier side of Warrel's singing.

Yeah, I think that was probably the original idea, but I have a feeling that might change. Apparently their first impulse altogether after they heard Warrel had died was to just drop out of the tour and had to think it over to look for a guest singer to do a tribute tour instead. So it might be that part of it is they're still working out their feelings over Warrel's death- which is completely understandable, as I think all of us fans are doing that too.

Plus, the shows with Joseph are getting one helluva response from the fans on YouTube and Facebook. Obviously not everyone is on the same page, but the common consensus from fans- as far as I can see at least- is that they want the band to continue if possible with Joseph at the mic. And it sounds like Joseph is really getting along great with the rest of the band too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2374 on: February 27, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
Most musicians need two bands these days to survive, or at least some projects. Wouldn't surprise me, given how good Joseph is with Sanctuary, if Lenny didn't have a change of heart, or at least come up with a new band name and start something with Joseph. There's plenty of room and difference of sound between what Witherfall does, and what a Sanctuary-like band would do.

Looking forward to seeing this show next week!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2375 on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:08 PM »
Most musicians need two bands these days to survive, or at least some projects. Wouldn't surprise me, given how good Joseph is with Sanctuary, if Lenny didn't have a change of heart, or at least come up with a new band name and start something with Joseph. There's plenty of room and difference of sound between what Witherfall does, and what a Sanctuary-like band would do.

Looking forward to seeing this show next week!  :metal

Yeah, I don't think Joseph joining Sanctuary full-time or starting a new Sanctuary-type band with Lenny would get in the way of his and Jake's time working on Witherfall. Especially since Jake's doing double duty with Iced Earth- actually all of the other guys in Witherfall are part of other bands, aside from Joseph. Steve Bolognese is in Death Dealer, Fili Bibiano is in a small LA metal band called Fortress and Anthony Crawford does all sorts of gigs in a variety of different genres.

And btw, Samsara, I'm still insanely jealous that I'm missing out on this tour! :biggrin: :tup Really wish I'd be able to catch this show in North Carolina.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online Grappler

« Reply #2376 on: March 05, 2018, 07:23:04 AM »
Stu just shared this on Facebook - what a badass picture!  He didn't do this at the show I saw, but Jake did hop up on the corner of the drum riser for one of his solos. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2377 on: March 05, 2018, 08:57:17 AM »
That is a great picture. Can't wait for the gig this week!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: March 05, 2018, 09:04:40 AM »
Lead singers climbing up shit they shouldn't be on is one way to instantly make a show more awesome  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: March 05, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
I didn't know JR was on tour with them.