85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 312776 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2310 on: October 03, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
Re: Incorruptible -- is it just me, or has this record had almost zero staying power with people this year. It's not a bad record at all, but it's like I forget about it. Going to put it on now, just because I can't remember the last time I put it on.

I play it quite regularly.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2311 on: October 04, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »
Yeah, if he doesn't mind listening to live first, then Alive is perfect. Personally I don't ever start with live albums or compilations but that's just me :)

I'd also recommend a couple songs from Ripper and Stu Block eras... Declaration Day and Ten Thousand Strong for Ripper, and Dystopia/Boiling Point/Raven Wing for Stu

He doesn't mind listening to live first. ;)

I'll try Alive in Athens then!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2312 on: October 04, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
Oh, good then!  :biggrin:

I like Incorruptible. I lent it to a friend but I don't think he's bothered listening to it. Gonna try to get it back, Seven Headed Whore is awesome to blast in the car (no aux port).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2313 on: October 04, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
I like Incorruptible. I lent it to a friend but I don't think he's bothered listening to it. Gonna try to get it back, Seven Headed Whore is awesome to blast in the car (no aux port).

Raven Wing is my jam.   :metal

I just listened to it this morning, and probably listen to it once every week or two.  It's a great album, but I've found myself listening to a lot of different stuff over the past few months, rather than having this one album in constant rotation.  I did play the crap out of it in June though, and not having a US tour to prepare for (yet) doesn't really give me a reason to listen to it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2314 on: October 04, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
Yeah, if he doesn't mind listening to live first, then Alive is perfect. Personally I don't ever start with live albums or compilations but that's just me :)

I'd also recommend a couple songs from Ripper and Stu Block eras... Declaration Day and Ten Thousand Strong for Ripper, and Dystopia/Boiling Point/Raven Wing for Stu

He doesn't mind listening to live first. ;)

I'll try Alive in Athens then!

Just one advice: you'll probably go for the three discs version... the third disc was a bonus, not all editions have it, so the main part was the first two discs. They played two nights with totally different sets and the tracklist was pulled together from two shows, but it's the first two discs who have a "setlist" feel, you can imagine them as set 1 and set 2 of a long show, with all the good setlists mark: a good opener, the classics, the climax with the big songs, and the namesake song as a closer. The third disc is more of a bonus, so think of it as an "out of setlist", long encore with whatever song was left to play.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2315 on: November 01, 2017, 09:26:22 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbuGfegPxk

Monster interview (53 minutes! - Part 1 of 3!) with Jon Schaffer.  Apparently there's a podcast dedicated to just Iced Earth on this youtube channel - they also have an interview with Stu.  Still listening to the early part of the interview, so can't really comment on the content too much, but thought I'd share it.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2316 on: November 01, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
Thanks. Really informative. We're getting Days of Purgatory 2 it seems. I wonder if he'll call it "Return to Purgatory."

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2317 on: November 01, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
I'll wait until it's formally announced.  Jon is the master of saying "hey, I'm going to do this and this and this (remember the SW comic book ideas?) but a sometimes they don't come to fruition.  I don't doubt that he wants to do some re-recording, especially coupled with the fact that he admitted in the interview that Century Media retains the rights to the old records.  I've followed the band long enough to know that he certainly means good and is brutally honest when it comes to the fans, but not everything is feasible.  What songs would he re-record?  DOP is almost all of the s/t and Stormrider with Matt's vocals.  I don't see how he can improve any of the Barlow-era songs with Stu's vocals, unless he lets Stu get all evil and rougher sounding.

I do like how he is talking about dusting off some older songs for the upcoming tours.  That's definitely a good idea.  I loved the songs they picked for the Dystopia tour (Stand Alone, When the Night Falls, Slave to the Dark) and hope that he can pull some others out, like Curse the Sky.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2318 on: November 01, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
My wet dream is Burnt Offerings, the title track. I know he has bad memories about the album (record company ordeals, the players not being up to task) but the positive reception from the fans for the album should encourage him.

Tonight since it kinda fits these "dark" days I'm gonna watch Bram Stoker's Dracula, the 1992 movie by Francis Ford Coppola.The intro to the song Burnt Offerings comes from it, the scene where Dracula is in the room with Mina and is being hunted by Van Helsing and co - "I was betrayed, look what your god has done to me".

Not so long ago I gave a spin again to Burnt Offerings... man, what a great record. It's not their best, but it's unique in their catalogue, it drips heaviness and darkness, and it's a cohesive piece of work, complex and brutal at times. Dante's Inferno is the clear masterpiece of the album, but the title track is to me one of their best songs ever, and the rest of the songs have their own dark flavour. When one's in the mood for the album, this can do wonders.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2319 on: November 01, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
I listened to Burnt Offerings today after listening to that interview where Jon addressed his perception of that album.  I love it, and the title track is definitely one of their most badass songs. 

Hearing that one re-recorded is definitely worth it, but I do think that Stu needs to be let loose in the evil department more often.  I just don't see how you can improve on many of Matt's performances from Dark Saga on, since he's the classic singer in the band, and Stu is accused of doing "Barlow" impressions when he sings them. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2320 on: November 01, 2017, 01:54:55 PM »
Please god no, not Purgatory 2. He already screwed up with stretching Something Wicked into two more bad albums, don't taint Purgatory's legacy...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: November 01, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
Please god no, not Purgatory 2. He already screwed up with stretching Something Wicked into two more bad albums, don't taint Purgatory's legacy...

Yeah, no more re-records Jon.  I really liked the Something Wicked with Tim, but Dante with Stu sucked.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2322 on: November 01, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »

Framing Armageddon was a pretty good album. Crucible... Was just ok. It was clearly rushed and unrealized. I did learn that there was some personal turmoil with Jon which influenced the album in a bad way. But yeah, Dante's Inferno was pretty bad, and I'm not too pleased with Stu's interpretations of the old songs live, so I'm not excited for Purgatory 2, but like Grappler said, Jon wants to do lots of things that never come to fruition.

It's interesting that Jon and Gene are on good terms. It must be because Gene found god, which in my personal opinion is both good and bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: November 01, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
The new album was really really strong, so he really doesn't need to do another Purgatory.  Will be interesting to hear the new lead guitarist shred on some old stuff though.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2324 on: November 01, 2017, 07:07:34 PM »
The new album was really really strong, so he really doesn't need to do another Purgatory.  Will be interesting to hear the new lead guitarist shred on some old stuff though.

I didn't like Troy's solos on the Something Wicked Trilogy, and although Jake is a 1000 times better than Troy, I would much rather the arrangements untouched. Stuff like the drums on Purgatory, sure, the original drums were bad, and Brent brought new life to songs like Colors, but other then that, there's not much to change except the vocals. Now if Jon was going to re-record some more recent stuff, and Jake was to change Troy's solo, yeah, I'm OK with that. :biggrin:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2325 on: November 01, 2017, 07:07:57 PM »
Nothing on Burnt Offerings needs any reworking. The album (the remix) is perfect.

Nothing at all needs to be re-recorded at this point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2326 on: November 01, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »

I didn't like Troy's solos on the Something Wicked Trilogy, and although Jake is a 1000 times better than Troy, I would much rather the arrangements untouched. Stuff like the drums on Purgatory, sure, the original drums were bad, and Brent brought new life to songs like Colors, but other then that, there's not much to change except the vocals. Now if Jon was going to re-record some more recent stuff, and Jake was to change Troy's solo, yeah, I'm OK with that. :biggrin:

I loved the leads on the Something Wicked Trilogy myself, and that was a fella named Tim Mills, not Troy.  That was obviously the only thing he recorded with the band.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: November 01, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »

Yeah, no more re-records Jon.  I really liked the Something Wicked with Tim, but Dante with Stu sucked.

I really dislike what they did with Dante with Stu. Now, the live version I liked, but the studio rerecording, no...

Framing Armageddon was a pretty good album. Crucible... Was just ok. It was clearly rushed and unrealized. I did learn that there was some personal turmoil with Jon which influenced the album in a bad way. But yeah, Dante's Inferno was pretty bad, and I'm not too pleased with Stu's interpretations of the old songs live, so I'm not excited for Purgatory 2, but like Grappler said, Jon wants to do lots of things that never come to fruition.

It's interesting that Jon and Gene are on good terms. It must be because Gene found god, which in my personal opinion is both good and bad.

I remember I didn't listen to IE for a couple months after FA came out, I was so disappointed (partially because I was so into Ten Thousand Strong despite the awful video, and nothing else on the album came close to it). Crucible I bought just out of principle of supporting the band but I only ever listened to it once. I think it's still in the plastic wrap actually. I only like Stu doing the old stuff when the songs demand the really high vocals - except Wolf. That's just not in Stu's wheelhouse unfortunately. I had no idea Gene found God. Wow. How about that...

I too think Incorruptible was really strong and would like them to just ride that wave, it's really impressive that the band's been around this long and they came out with Seven Headed Whore. More stuff like that. Or maybe that's kind of where Jon is heading with DoP 2? Who knows... I'm wary though.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2328 on: November 01, 2017, 08:53:58 PM »

I loved the leads on the Something Wicked Trilogy myself, and that was a fella named Tim Mills, not Troy.  That was obviously the only thing he recorded with the band.

Of course. Right you are. I think the reason I dislike them so much is because I loved the original leads so much, and Tim's leads just weren't those.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2329 on: November 02, 2017, 02:41:12 AM »
Nothing on Burnt Offerings needs any reworking. The album (the remix) is perfect.

Indeed. I have the Dark Saga boxset (a real treat), and the Burnt Offerings remix is possibly the BEST remix I've ever heard. I can't think of any other album that I've heard remixed that made me go "yeah, this is the definitive version of the record".

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2330 on: November 02, 2017, 02:56:43 AM »
I for one would like Purgatory pt. 2. I often like rerecordings and in general love to hear alternate versions of favourite songs. It won't erase originals and I don't see it getting in the way of an actual new studio album (especially since Iced Earth has it's own studio).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2331 on: November 02, 2017, 05:16:03 AM »

Of course. Right you are. I think the reason I dislike them so much is because I loved the original leads so much, and Tim's leads just weren't those.

Fair enough.  Tim's leads are boss, but yeah, nothing like the original at all and can see why you'd be turned off.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2332 on: November 10, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »
Just came across these videos, courtesy of the Brazil Under Ice page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnktWqCB5yWk9y7ciUni01A

Old 1986 live footage of Purgatory.  The Sunset Club video even has an early version of Stormrider with Gene Adam singing (8:30 in on Part 2). 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2333 on: November 10, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
Also:  Part 2 of the Jon Schaffer Podcast in Stone interview.  53 minutes for this segment.   :metal

I'm loving how honest and forthcoming he's being in this interview.  He always is, which I love about him, but the conversations in this interview is so down to earth and in depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44dfo0HjzzA

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2334 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
Part 3 of the interview has been uploaded.  Jon elaborated on a few additional items mentioned in Parts 1/2:

Album rerecording is scheduled for 2019.  He plans rerecord the first three albums in full (s/t, Stormrider, Burnt Offerings) due to being unhappy with the original productions and a desire to tweak some arrangements.  May not do the albums in order.

He plans to collaborate with Gene Adam and Dave Abell on some songs after recently reconnecting with them.  The songs are already written and he seemed to indicate that this could happen sooner rather than later.

Demons & Wizards is the priority beyond the upcoming Iced Earth album cycle.

They plan on playing 7-8 songs from Incorruptible (no Ghost Dance, maybe not Defiance or The Veil on the first leg). 
They also want to play some older songs that Stu has yet to sing live.

New online merch shop is coming soon.

A lot of talk about music/creative rights.  As an example, he asked Century Media to record the European Horror Show tour for a DVD, where they played a three hour show broken up into different sets with different staging for each era.  Century Media balked, saying that they didn't believe in the DVD format, and the band's best tour ever was not captured on tape.  Fast forward a few years to when The Glorious Burden was released (on SPV) and doing really well and Century Media decided to release the Alive in Athens dvd with subpar footage and editing to capitalize on Iced Earth's popularity at that time.  Jon had no control over it and was irritated that they would pass up recording such an awesome tour, but then put out a shitty product a few years later.

Overall, that was a very cool interview and Jon admitted that he normally wouldn't devote the time or be as forthcoming with info if it was for a traditional journalist or publication.  But since these are a couple of superfans with a dedicated Iced Earth podcast, he gave it to them with an offer to talk more in the future.  Killer job guys!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2335 on: November 21, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
Album rerecording is scheduled for 2019.  He plans rerecord the first three albums in full (s/t, Stormrider, Burnt Offerings) due to being unhappy with the original productions and a desire to tweak some arrangements.  May not do the albums in order.

Gods, no. Leave those album be. The Dark Genesis boxset is all you ever need for a new version of these records.

Demons & Wizards is the priority beyond the upcoming Iced Earth album cycle.

Yay!

They plan on playing 7-8 songs from Incorruptible (no Ghost Dance, maybe not Defiance or The Veil on the first leg). 
They also want to play some older songs that Stu has yet to sing live.

Excellent approach!  :tup

As an example, he asked Century Media to record the European Horror Show tour for a DVD, where they played a three hour show broken up into different sets with different staging for each era.  Century Media balked, saying that they didn't believe in the DVD format, and the band's best tour ever was not captured on tape.

Pity. That was one of the best shows EVER I've seen.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2336 on: November 22, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »
Regardless, Alive in Athens is fucking awesome.

Also, I look forward to hearing alternate versions of classic songs. Bands still doing these surely means there are people like me that enjoy that, right?

Demons and Wizards is one of my most anticipated albums, the first one is a personal classic and the second one is a very solid/good album.

Online Adami

« Reply #2337 on: November 22, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
Regardless, Alive in Athens is fucking awesome.

Also, I look forward to hearing alternate versions of classic songs. Bands still doing these surely means there are people like me that enjoy that, right?

I would be excited if I didn't think they'd suck. I loved the Barlow re-recordings, but everything they re-recorded since has been awful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2338 on: November 28, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

ICED EARTH will embark on the North American leg of the "Incorruptible" tour in late February. Support on the trek will come from SANCTUARY and KILL RITUAL.

ICED EARTH founding member and main songwriter Jon Schaffer states: "Brothers and sisters! We are very aware at how impatient you have been getting about our North American tour announcement, but the time has arrived!! We will be seeing you soon in a very extensive USA/Canada run. Be there; it will be an awesome time for sure!"

A special BLABBERMOUTH.NET presale will begin on Wednesday, November 29 at 10:00 a.m. local time and end on Thursday, November 30 at 10:00 p.m. local time. When prompted, type in the presale code "BLABBERMOUTH" to access tickets before the general public.

The general on-sale for U.S. dates is Friday, December 1 at 10:00 a.m. local time.

The dates are as follows:

Feb. 22 - Indianapolis, IN - Deluxe # (buy tickets)
Feb. 23 - CIncinnati, OH - Bogarts # (buy tickets)
Feb. 24 - Louisville, KY - Mercury Ballroom # (buy tickets)
Feb. 25 - Milwaukee, WI - Turner Ballroom # (buy tickets)
Feb. 26 - Minneapolis, MN - Music Hall # (buy tickets)
Feb. 27 - Omaha, NE - Sokol Underground # (buy tickets)
Feb. 28 - Denver, CO - Summit Music Hall # (buy tickets)
Mar. 02 - Edmonton, AB - Starlite Room # (buy tickets)
Mar. 03 - Calgary, AB - Marquee Beer Market & Stage # (buy tickets)
Mar. 04 - Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw Theater # (buy tickets)
Mar. 05 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon # (buy tickets)
Mar. 07 - Sacramento, CA - Ace of Spades # (buy tickets)
Mar. 08 - Los Angeles, CA - Belasco Theater # (buy tickets)
Mar. 09 - San Diego, CA - House of Blues # (buy tickets)
Mar. 10 - Anaheim, CA - Parish @ House of Blues # (buy tickets)
Mar. 11 - Phoenix, AZ - The Pressroom # (buy tickets)
Mar. 13 - San Antonio, TX - Aztec Theatre # (buy tickets)
Mar. 14 - Dallas, TX - House of Blues # (buy tickets)
Mar. 15 - Houston, TX - House of Blues # (buy tickets)
Mar. 16 - New Orleans, LA - Parish @ House of Blues # (buy tickets)
Mar. 17 - Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade # (buy tickets)
Mar. 18 - Charlotte, NC - Underground # (buy tickets)
Mar. 19 - Baltimore, MD - Baltimore Soundstage # (buy tickets)
Mar. 21 - Wilmington, DE - The Queen # (buy tickets)
Mar. 22 - New York, NY - Gramercy Theatre # (buy tickets)
Mar. 23 - Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall # (buy tickets)
Mar. 24 - Quebec City, QC - Imperial Bell # (buy tickets)
Mar. 25 - Montreal, QC - Corona Theater # (buy tickets)
Mar. 26 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Theater # (buy tickets)
Mar. 27 - Cleveland, OH - Cambridge Room @ House of Blues # (buy tickets)
Mar. 28 - Detroit, MI - St. Andrew's Hall # (buy tickets)
Mar. 29 - Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge # (buy tickets)

# with SANCTUARY and KILL RITUAL

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earth-to-tour-north-america-with-sanctuary-blabbermouth-net-presale-available.html#LbOALmwCxEio2WDs.99

Online Adami

« Reply #2339 on: November 28, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
Hm, tempting but I still don't like Stu singing for them.

Is the setlist supposed to be special?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2340 on: November 28, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »
Is the setlist supposed to be special?

Lot of new songs and some older stuff Stu hasn't sang yet

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2341 on: December 01, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
[Pod] Cast in Stone: Iced Earth Interview - Randall Shawver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zv-r1R6h0o&t=1967s

Not a whole lot of new info if you read the interview from a few years ago, but it was a neat listen. He often sounded like Bill Paxton which was weird.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2342 on: December 01, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
I bought a ticket to the Milwaukee show.  I'm skipping and/or missed a few big tours (Dream Theater, Helloween next year), but a Sunday night in Milwaukee is doable.  Sanctuary is huge.  I got to meet Nevermore and IE when they toured together in 1999, but was too young to get into the 21+ show.  So to see Sanctuary and finally hear Warrel sing will be awesome.

It will be my 5th time seeing Iced Earth, and the third time with the Stu lineup.  Incorruptible is a really strong record and hearing the majority of it live (RAVEN WING!), plus some older songs that I probably haven't seen them play is a nice bonus.  It's only the 4th night of the tour, so I may even be able to avoid some setlist spoilers.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2343 on: December 02, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
I've only seen Iced Earth once in 2008 with Barlow. Great show, but the setlist was the typical greatest hits set. I wish I could have seen them with Ripper. I still don't really care too much for Stu live, but if I have the funds next year, I might go.

On a side note, while listening to Incorruptible on different headphones last week, I finally heard Stu on the verses of Clear the Way. He does a good Schaffer impression though.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2344 on: December 05, 2017, 06:30:29 AM »
Official video for....BLACK FLAG.   :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUMDcVMiduY