85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314442 times)

Offline MiracleSleeper

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1925 on: October 08, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »
One of my favorite bands right herrr. I'm probably one of the few who loves Stu Block's vocals just as much as Matt Barlow's. Dystopia was a phenomenal album. As for Plagues of Babylon... I'm still 'trying' to get into it. I think it will grow on me though.

Favorite albums (no order):
-Horror Show
-Dystopia
-Something Wicked This Way Comes
-Framing Armageddon
-The Glorious Burden
-The Crucible of Man

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: October 08, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »
One of my favorite bands right herrr. I'm probably one of the few who loves Stu Block's vocals just as much as Matt Barlow's. Dystopia was a phenomenal album. As for Plagues of Babylon... I'm still 'trying' to get into it. I think it will grow on me though.

Can't quite agree with this.  IMO Dystopia was pretty terrible, but Babylon was quite a good comeback. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1927 on: October 09, 2014, 03:20:29 AM »

Can't quite agree with this.  IMO Dystopia was pretty terrible, but Babylon was quite a good comeback. 

Agreed.

Also, no Stormrider?  o_O

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: October 09, 2014, 05:39:11 AM »

Favorite albums (no order):
-Horror Show
-Dystopia
-Something Wicked This Way Comes
-Framing Armageddon
-The Glorious Burden
-The Crucible of Man

Just noticed Crucible on your list too.  Interesting, that one IMO is by far the weakest IE album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1929 on: October 09, 2014, 06:05:53 AM »
It's not that I thought Dystopia was terrible. I actually think it's pretty good. But I honestly haven't listened to it more that 2 or three times.  I just could not part with any money for Plagues. I figured it'd be very similar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: October 09, 2014, 06:10:31 AM »
It's not that I thought Dystopia was terrible. I actually think it's pretty good. But I honestly haven't listened to it more that 2 or three times.  I just could not part with any money for Plagues. I figured it'd be very similar.

Not at all.  It is a big improvement.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1931 on: October 09, 2014, 06:14:50 AM »

OK. I'll consider it. It's not that I don't like Iced earth. I do, but I feel like I keep buying the same album over and over again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1932 on: October 09, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »

OK. I'll consider it. It's not that I don't like Iced earth. I do, but I feel like I keep buying the same album over and over again.

If that's the case, I doubt Plagues of Babylon will change your opinion of them. The band is pretty damn repetitive. The general idea of their sound is a blending of Iron Maiden and Metallica.

It's a formula that works, but I personally think, and Zook will probably agree on this, that it worked best on their earlier albums like Night of the Stormrider or Burnt Offerings. If you somehow haven't heard those albums yet, I'd suggest checking them out instead of Plagues.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1933 on: October 09, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »

It's a formula that works, but I personally think, and Zook will probably agree on this, that it worked best on their earlier albums like Night of the Stormrider or Burnt Offerings. If you somehow haven't heard those albums yet, I'd suggest checking them out instead of Plagues.

I have both. Burnt Offerings is terrible IMO. Stormrider is good, but the Athens versions of the Stormrider songs basically turned that album into a coaster.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1934 on: October 09, 2014, 09:15:24 AM »

I have both. Burnt Offerings is terrible IMO. Stormrider is good, but the Athens versions of the Stormrider songs basically turned that album into a coaster.

Huh. Well, in that case, I'd look into the middle range albums from The Dark Saga to Horror Show or The Glorious Burden.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: October 09, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »

I probably wouldn't really bother with anything else IE related if I were you then.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: October 09, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »
Tim, I'm surprised you think Burnt Offerings is terrible.  I think its a great metal disc!!

My favorites from the band will still be Dark Saga, Horror Show and Glorious Burden.

I didn't even bother checking out Plagues; likely never will.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1937 on: October 09, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
I HAVE all of the Iced Earth albums. I just feel like over the last few albums that I basically bought the same album. I am really struggling to part with any cash for it. I feel the same about the new Edguy, Ace Frehley, and Tesla albums.

I have not listened to Burnt Offerings in ages. The production is terrible and I think Barlow sounds like crap on it. Definitely took some time to find his "voice".  Dante's Inferno is fantastic, but for that I always go to Alive In Athens, which to me is the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: October 09, 2014, 03:21:24 PM »
Dante's Inferno is fantastic, but for that I always go to Alive In Athens, which to me is the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal.

That's a legit statement.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1939 on: October 09, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »
I HAVE all of the Iced Earth albums. I just feel like over the last few albums that I basically bought the same album. I am really struggling to part with any cash for it. I feel the same about the new Edguy, Ace Frehley, and Tesla albums.

I have not listened to Burnt Offerings in ages. The production is terrible and I think Barlow sounds like crap on it. Definitely took some time to find his "voice".  Dante's Inferno is fantastic, but for that I always go to Alive In Athens, which to me is the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal.

You likely have the original. Get the remixed and remastered version. The original indeed sounds like ass, and the drummer for that album was horrid. It's all cleaned up on the remaster.

Tim, I'm surprised you think Burnt Offerings is terrible.  I think its a great metal disc!!

My favorites from the band will still be Dark Saga, Horror Show and Glorious Burden.

I didn't even bother checking out Plagues; likely never will.

At least listen to Plagues once. It really is a step up from Dystopia and Crucible.

And yeah, MOST of the Athens Stormrider songs put the originals to shame, but Night of the Stormrider is still my all time favorite album and an underrated Thrash Metal album in general. Greely is no Barlow, but he definitely isn't Gene Adam either. Aparently the guy drives through Arizona all the time. One day I hope we can meet up so he can sign my ten different copies of Stormrider.  :lol

Dante's Inferno is fantastic, but for that I always go to Alive In Athens, which to me is the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal.

That's a legit statement.

I actually prefer the studio version of Dante's Inferno, but yeah, Alive in Athens is my favorite live album. The live version of A Question of Heaven is an emotional eargasm.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »
I find a lot of the AIA versions better than the studio versions, especially Dante and Heaven.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1941 on: October 10, 2014, 04:40:27 PM »
I find a lot of the AIA versions better than the studio versions, especially Dante and Heaven.

Yeah, but the lyrical flub in Dante's Inferno kills it for me. Nah, just kidding. Definitely a great version, I just prefer the studio's atmosphere more. And the live version of A Question of Heaven is my all time favorite Iced Earth song.

Larry mucked up some of the solos on the other Stormrider songs so I can't lump those in with the musical blissful awesomeness of the live "Stormrider Trilogy", and I also prefer the studio Something Wicked Trilogy.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: October 10, 2014, 04:41:40 PM »
Matt at the end of AQOH on AIA is one of the best vocal moments ever.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1943 on: October 10, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »
Matt at the end of AQOH on AIA is one of the best vocal moments ever.

Like I said, emotional eargasm. Accompanied with the guitar lead, it's the perfect ending to a song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: October 10, 2014, 04:46:47 PM »
Yes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1945 on: October 10, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »
Great version. Phenominal! :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1946 on: October 10, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
What sucks though, is that Matt (possibly by Jon's influence) changed the way he sang the final part after this concert. The new way sucked, and wasn't near as moving. Stu stayed true to the studio version, but his voice didn't fit. I would have loved to have been there in person to see that song in it's perfect form, but considering it wasn't on the DVD, I fear it may have been heavily tinkered with, but then again, The Killing Hand from Live at the Marquee has a complete vocal overdub, and I still love it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: October 10, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
I would have liked to hear Tim sing AQOH.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1948 on: October 10, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
but considering it wasn't on the DVD, I fear it may have been heavily tinkered with,
Like the rest of that DVD wasn't? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1949 on: October 10, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
but considering it wasn't on the DVD, I fear it may have been heavily tinkered with,
Like the rest of that DVD wasn't? :lol

No, I imagine it was, but Jon was nice enough to leave some things unpolished to give the illusion... like Larry's fudged up solos. Thanks Jon.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1950 on: October 10, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »
I would have liked to hear Tim sing AQOH.

Ehhh, I'll pass on that, but Travel in Stygian definitely.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1951 on: October 10, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
Travel in Stygian 
Awesome tune. My first IE album was Athens and that was the first tune that hooked me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1952 on: October 10, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
I think it was Alive in Athens that got me into Barlow. Watching Over Me was my first Barlow IE song and I didn't like him at first. My introduction to IE was The Glorious Burden, so the drastic change in singers was very off putting.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1953 on: October 10, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #1954 on: October 11, 2014, 06:39:14 AM »

I probably wouldn't really bother with anything else IE related if I were you then.

Yeah, it's kind of like trying to get into DT even though you hate I&W and Awake.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1955 on: October 12, 2014, 03:59:21 AM »
https://www.jsrdirect.com/bands/icedearth/

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That hot chicks poop shirt is one of the most tasteless, tacky, awful and stupid shirts I've ever seen and coming from Iced Earth just blows my mind.  Why, fucking why?

Also, what's fuck yo couch?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: October 12, 2014, 04:26:13 AM »
Please welcome Zakk Wylde as the new chief of merchandising for Iced Earth  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1957 on: October 12, 2014, 05:20:05 AM »
https://www.jsrdirect.com/bands/icedearth/

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That hot chicks poop shirt is one of the most tasteless, tacky, awful and stupid shirts I've ever seen and coming from Iced Earth just blows my mind.  Why, fucking why?

Also, what's fuck yo couch?

It's from a Dave Chapelle skit. That's what they're saying at the end of Plagues of Babylon.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »
Oh.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: October 13, 2014, 12:10:59 AM »
Kade is right, that shirt is horrific.  Who would not only pay money for that thing, but wear it in public.  Terrible.